This was too fucking good. There wasn't a single moment where I was bored or taken out of the film...

This was too fucking good. There wasn't a single moment where I was bored or taken out of the film. Everything was on point from the performances, to the story and special effects. I thought it was masterful in its execution. However, I would have liked some more depth to the surgeon's distrust of the admiralty/crown and his relationship to the captain, but I'm sure this is explored in depth with the novels. That's not what the film was going for anyway.

So what are some more movies based on naval warfare and grounded in reality? Preferably stuff similar to the era of the film.

The 98-03 Horatio Hornblower series was pretty great if I am not just wearing my nostalgia goggles.

This

I thought Paul Bettany's character's exploits were a little too similar to Darwin's (i.e. they were Darwin's), but all in all, one of the best action movies of the past twenty five years.

What did he mean by this?

That you better holdfast.

A Holdfast in nautical terms is the generic term for something used to hold or secure a thing in place; a catch, hook, clamp.

It came into common use as verb between 1500-1550 as an expression denoting that one should grasp onto a holdfast to secure their position.

In essence he was predicting that the crew topside would need to secure themselves to the ship so that they would not be knocked down or thrown overboard.

M&C is also what the new Star Trek would have been like in a Patrician world.

Crowe was a better Kirk than Shatner.

More used to fightin', too

I liked the Gregory Peck Horatio Hornblower. Even though there were far too many Yanks for the Royal Navy.

Maybe, but he's a terrible actor.

I mean fuckā€¦

Not in this movie. Or in L.A. Confidental. He gets way more hate than he deserves.

You clearly haven't watched this movie.

I think the hate that he gets has nothing to do with his acting, and everything to do with his fightin'.

The film really has become a cult classic and as already others have said, Hornblower.

The film was a weirdly a mix between the very first book and the 11th, the books themselves are a fun read and are great for the navy autist as well as it goes into a fuckton of detail about what the ships were like and what was done, used and said. Also it didn't quite cover it in the film but Maturin being a qualified surgeon and doctor was a pretty big deal back then, since the average navy surgeon of that era was a butcher at best. Which meant the crew of Aubrey's ship would proceed to beat the shit out of other crews because they knew they could get patched up properly.

Also noted that when it came out it that while it was well received, it lost out bad to Lord of the Rings Return of the King which probably is why it didn't do as well as it should have.

Sage for double post

what books?

I'll do you one right, OP

Here is the first kino in the 98 Hornblower series

muh seamen

And it was supposed to have a sequel.

Well Das Boot, a german WW2 naval movie is very good. Somewhat similar.

nah, there are one or two black extras on the ship in Master and Commander

That is somewhat accurate though, as the navy needed powder monkeys.

Love this film. Great in every way. Absolute shame it came and went.

vid related