Why did Tarkovsky hate Bergman so much?

Why did Tarkovsky hate Bergman so much?

15 September, Stockholm

I saw Bergman for the first time in person today. He had a meeting with young people at the Filminstitutet where he was presenting the documentary about the making of Fanny and Alexander, and providing a running commentary. Then he answered questions. He made an odd impression on me. Self-centred, cold, superficial, both toward the children and the audience.

28 September, Switzerland, on the way from Sweden to Florence

I believe the film is a success although I think I no longer possess the ability to understand, to evaluate my work. I don't like the work of others. It seems I completely lost my admiration for Bergman and Nykvist with his photography. But the photography he did for the film was very good.

Other urls found in this thread:

monoskop.org/images/d/dd/Tarkovsky_Andrey_Time_Within_Time_The_Diaries_1970-1986.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because he's a cuck who made boring films and couldn't stand up to bergman's superiority

Who the fuck cares?

Because Bergman was a huge fan of his and Tarkovsky was the autistic type who couldn't handle dealing with fans.

"Tarkovsky for me is the greatest (director), the one who invented a new language, true to the nature of film, as it captures life as a reflection, life as a dream."
-Ingmar Bergman

hahaha oh wow, i knew bergman loved tarkovsky but i assumed it was mutual, i didn't realise tarkovsky hated bergman, this is hilariously tragic

He thought Bergman was stealing his thunder by making even more boring overlong ponderous movies than he was

Tark always took Bergman's kinos seriously since they were about the conflict of faith, but he probably just didn't like the message they carry and Bergman's personality. He and Bresson were bros though, and he enjoyed hanging out with Kurosawa.

cause he was a fucking commie

Because Bergcuck was a dumb fedora without talent.

Why don't you like highbrow films, satan?

there's your answer

Tark is definitely not a commie.

Well, that was unexpected.

I recently watched "The Sacrifice" and I took it as a slight homage to Bergman. It had the same topic as Bergman used in his movies (faith vs. knowledge) but with a different message.

That being said, the cinematography was phenomenal in The Sacrifice. Several scenes look like classical paintings come to life. I could watch it again just for that reason alone.

I think he was referring to Bergman.

True they are so similar hes just being competitive

Gee I wonder why that is…

What year was this written? It would guess just after filming The Sacrifice.

Nykvist did photography for that picture. I just read Sculpting in Time and Tarkovsky mentions Bergman's work several times, always very positively.

I wonder what Tarkovsky would think of Holla Forums

Was he known to like memes?

He literally called directors he hated hacks and people who don't like his style plebs in his diary.

If he called everyone cucks he'd be perfect.

Do you have a link to his full diary?

Just use google.

monoskop.org/images/d/dd/Tarkovsky_Andrey_Time_Within_Time_The_Diaries_1970-1986.pdf

Thanks.

I found this exert Kurosawa wrote about Tarkovsky in one of his books.

Did they fug?

couldn't they just have used a polarizing filter