Why do they think heavy handed product placement is okay? It's so blatant and obvious...

Why do they think heavy handed product placement is okay? It's so blatant and obvious, why do they even agree to it in the first place?

Obscene amounts of cash.

When your project has no artistic value whatsoever, there's nothing to be compromised by accepting loads of bribe money.

because people keep watching
if you really give a shit, boycott those programs

Thats the unfortunate part about it, too many people tune in and dont care so the people who do care can boycott but it will be outweighed by the others

What is bad about product placement?

Because people hate ads.

second question.

If a show is taking place in the "real world" and the plot has characters buying "Sport car", wouldn't be better that they are buying a "Corvette" or "Ford Mustang" and not "Forp Thoroughbred" or "Speed Fast Car?"

I specifically remember The Office (in the U.S. at least) having a lot of explicitly named real-world products

==GIMME A PEEEPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIII FRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE=
==YOU WWWWWAAAAANNNNNAAAAA PPPPPPEEEEPPPPPPSIIIIIIIIIIIIII PPPPPPPPAAAAALLLLLL YOU'RE GONNAA PPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FOORRRRRRR ITTTTTTT=

Seconding this, though I'll say it really only works with cars, anything else its blantant whoring with no value to the plot or theme

I feel there is some value to using proper names for things and why does it matter if they product place? What does it objectively change about the show if they go to MickyD's or notMickyD's

it matters that they're getting paid to do it
it matters that they WON'T do it if nobody's paying them because 1) nobody wants to drive down the price 2) nobody wants to get sued. look at all the reality tv shows that censor logos. It creates a culture where people are afraid to damage brand reputations with art. It creates a culture of art that reinforces consumerism.

The problem arises when it becomes hard to differentiate between entertainment and advertising.

product placement is great when it's done right. see verhoeven films as an example.

Dwight loved his '82 Firebird (or was it a Trans AM?) and the car was featured heavily, does that count as product placement? Also the 1st pic in OP shows a last generation Ford (at least, it's probably 2 generations back) so does it really count as whoring when the product isn't even in production anymore?

im fine with it if its not egregious, the one that triggered me the most recently is the fucking hyundai yuppie SUV in walking dead that was always suspiciously clean, just felt like the last vehicle you would aquire in such a scenario

they need to be subtle about it like daredevil and jessica jones with those coffee cups

those can be found at pretty much any corner in nyc

and by subtle, i don't mean out of the way (they're in almost every episode in multiple scenes per episode), it's just such a common thing to see that it doesn't bug you, except the design catches your eye so you can't help but be fixated on it.

also, why would you complain about breaking bad? that wubb wubb scene was hilarious, especially the mentos remix of it (embed related).

They have no shame anymore.

poor andre the giant

It's what helps Adam Sandler get more movies made, the money.

I have a problem with that because an episode or movie can still be good despite the obvious product placement. Advertisers still do it even though everyone hates it. There must be a boost in sales to correlate with the window of time of the advertisement. If there wasn't, they'd stop doing it.

I don't expect people to be dropping dosh after seeing a product advertise in their favorite show immediately. Advertising is just a very weak form of brainswashing. Some time down the line you'll think of something you'll need, and this small kernel of adverstiment will pop in your mind like some catchy hook in a pop song. You'll likely act or or check out that first than anything else because it'll be the first thought that came to mind.

The adverstisers did their job and you'll buy their products by being none the wiser just by the adverstiment being a small reminder in your head. I bet you can't think of a competing brand unless you remember a commercial or product placement by them within a span of two years apart. Advertisement are jingles that nestle in your mind waiting to be rung again with only just a slight reminder of necessity and interest. If you ain't subject to the obvious kind you'll just be hit by the subtle kind, easier and vice versa. We do live in a world of advertisement because people are supported by others in a mutual exchange of publicity. Adverisers need to sell something and if there is a growing movement of people ad blocking or skipping ads, they'll just do the next logical step and put them in your favorite shows, movies or videos.

We could even come to the future of Futurama and have ads in our dreams next if enough people don't want to see 1-3 minutes of adverstisement in a break. It sounds unreasonable but they have a reason for being put in place and it's that relationship between advertiser and consumer that drives the choices at hand. The swing the pendulum back you have to give them an alternative that satisfies both parties.

Found some more in Fringe.

at least product placement doesn't stop the show at a really dramatic part and make you wait 5 minutes before continuing the story.

I wouldn't care if I knew the brand of everything characters were using on a show if it meant getting away from actual commercials.

Because cancer is what the industry is.

It's either paid product placement, or it's putting duct tape over logos on hats and spray cans because the companies didn't shell out shekels to advertise.