Hard to be a God

Holy shit, this is one of the most amazingly disgusting movies I've ever seen. I couldn't look away the entire time. It was like they made a movie about area 5 in Demon's Souls. It's also literally Kino as you can see in the trailer.
youtube.com/watch?v=11sMDQIgggA

Who else has seen this?

I have not seen it. It looks interesting. Is there a plot?

It looks very CHEEKI BREEKI

There's a loose plot from the book it's based on, but it's more of a stream of events.

it is EXTREMELY slavic

Why is it called Hard to be a God?

the main character is a secret ambassador from Earth, and the movie is set on a different planet where the people refuse to enter a Renaissance because they like rolling around in shit so much. the locals refer to him as a God because he seems to have impressed or bribed them a lot.

What the fuck, so it's like a planet full of Holla Forums posters?

it's a pretty great visual experience but I suspect the book actually has a coherent plot, unlike the film.

or like a Slavic version of India

KEK'D!

This is bait for anons to ask what is kino

what is this forced meme faggotry

Oh there's some lovely filth over here

I watched it when it came out. It has an interesting cinematography, I like how the actors seem to realize your presence as an audience. There is no music or any form of art to be found, except for Don Rumata's jazz flute, which becomes the last shred of appreciation of art and beauty. It's literally perfect, it really immersed your soul into the backwardness and nastiness of Arkanar, while at the same time contemplate the situation of our society today where art is gradually replaced by the perversion that stemmed from nihilism ideology.

I have one criticism for this motion picture though. A kino shouldn't focus on story or plot, but the story in this movie while minimal is pretty hard to follow, probably because we aren't Russian thus not familiar with how the dialogues truly work. Another criticism is how this film lack philosophical commentary, unlike Tarkovsky's films. But that's okay, that's not the point of it because it's supposed to show you a criticism on ugliness, not beautiful poetry. This is no Andrei Rubleov after all.

Whereas Andrei Rubleov is a story about the awakening of artistic integrity in the midst of chaos, Hard to be A God is about finding a solution to overcome that chaos. But both have one thing in common, which is about finding harmony in an ill designed world. Aleksei German's kino might not be as spiritual as Tarkovsky's absolute kino, but German certainly offered exalting audio visual experience and the same anti-symbolism idea of Tarkovsky.

6 years of filming and 7 years of editing truly worth it. Aleksei was a very dedicated director who sacrificed everything for art.

THIS KINO IS NOT FOR THE IMBECILE TO WATCH GET THE FUCK BACK TO Holla Forums YOU VIRGIN CUCK FAGGOT

It's a criticism on communism and bolshevism. They're nothing but shit.

Sorry Holla Forums, but that's hilariously wrong. It's based on a book written by a pair of Soviet Sci-fi authors (who were allowed to get published, hint hint), and it's blatantly based on Marx's theories of historical materialism. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar: it's a story about how shitty feudal society was before Lenin and Stalin modernized Russia.

Yup. It's commie propaganda.

Aleksei German is famous for being one of those directors who loathed and criticized communism though. His other post cold war film called "Khrustalyov, My Car" is openly anti communist.

The odds are not good here.

>>>/reddit/

Doesn't change the source material. There's nothing in the film adaptation that changes the message of the book. And I doubt that Aleksei was a fan of feudal Russia either. I think a proper Russian just plain hates Russia and hates himself. Russian government has literally never been good.

The novel itself was a form of criticism on Stalinist Soviet and a wish that Soviet under Nikita Khrushchev would be any better. German perceived this as a criticism on the whole Soviet era, on both the oppressive government and the dumb peasants who feel like there is nothing wrong with Bolshevism. Yes you're right, German hated Czarist Russia as well.

So?

eat shit

the second movies was shit and an exercise in scat fetish of the director

I thought that was Game of Thrones and GRRM?

Will watch it because unlike the rest of these retards I like movies. I will pretty much watch anything that isn't painfully generic. Unfortunately on Holla Forums the depth of film knowledge stops at Drive.

So go to /film/ you elitist cunt.

What's elitist about knowing the hobby you spend 5-10 percent of your day discussing? What's elitist about "watching anything that isn't painfully generic?" I'm just tired of Holla Forums being a board that complains about everything while discussing nothing.

you spend 3 hours a day talking about movies?

jesus….

let me break this down for your anime watching autistic little head
10 percent of 100 is 10
10 percent of 50 is 5
10 percent of 25 is 2.5
half of 2.5 is 1.25
Yes I spend about 5 hours a day on chans, 1.25 to 2.5 hours on Holla Forums. Fuck you

confirmed for knowing nothing about film
come back when you've watched a true masterpiece like TDKR

I never claimed to know anything. I'm simply tired of the anger and pessimism of this board, as well as all of the other boards. The discussion of shitty generic modern box office focused mindless action movies only perpetuates this hatred toward the medium. People who sage this thread or call the OP bait because they're too lazy to watch anything with an ounce of subtly are ruining my experience and are a waste of my and their time.

This movie doesn't exactly look subtle.

I just watched it. It's very subtle.

Get out.

Get a life.

haha, what a memester ;^)

I fell asleep to this while drunk earlier today. Therefore it must have been decent.

how about you eat ass bitch

disregard this, I suck cocks

here, I love to rub dicks all over my face because they smell so great

obvious samefag

ALL (you)

Wrong, it's all me. I have multiple proxies and unlimited free time.