What's the appeal? I don't get it guys

What's the appeal? I don't get it guys.

Everyone I ask about creams themselves and talks about "muh childhood" and how it reminds them of the magic of being young and all this other weird ass shit.

Is there something I am missing which makes it all memorable? I the first book. I was unimpressed.

I am starting to suspect two possibilities:
1. My childhood experiences were so alien that I can't related to some theme or element that is common among everyone else.
2. People are putting me on and just talking shit.

Perhaps if someone were to explain to me more explicitly what the stories are trying to capture, it would make more sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iPg5U65didA
independent.co.uk/news/people/emma-watson-named-in-panama-papers-database-a7023126.html
subliminalmanipulation.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-generation-of-subliminal-messages.html
buzzfeed.com/andyneuenschwander/proof-that-harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince-had-the-mo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Harry Potter has really well written lore, and the way it's presented to the audience makes it not only easy to understand but also very enjoyable.

Since Harry is a little faggot that doesn't know shit, everything has to be explained to him, and because we get to see all the years he does at Hogwarts it makes the audience feel like they're part of the world as well.

It's more about I'm needing yourself in this really well written world rather than the cirematography itself. The movies arent good because they're good movies, but literally just because the books were so expansive.

Not to mention the series went on for so long that a lot of people grew up with these movies, and they reflect really well growing up. Starting from the happy movies when you're a kid, an going to the more dark and cynical ones later.

There's not just one reason to explain the appeal.

Meant
Fucking phone

it a shit fam

What is the deal with this? Being young fucking sucked. Everything was violent, being subject to the whims of everyone around you, you didn't know anything. Or you did, and everyone seemed impossibly stupid or had an agenda and lied to you. You couldn't do anything because you had no money. You had no access to information.

Now as an adult life is amazing. Not having to fend for your life, can buy just about anything you want, if people are idiots or vicious intent you can tell them to fuck off. You can go to church whenever you want. You have real friends and not people you hang out with just because you don't want to get slit. You have a real job, and a 401k. You can go outside at night and jog. You have air conditioning.

No idea why people idealize their childhood and talk about "the cold adult world". Apparently freedom and personal agency are scary to people rather than the key to happiness and asserting yourself over your life.

No wonder everyone is on fucking zoloft.

Of course you don't. You're not a teenage girl.

It's a kids book series that focuses on making a fantastic world rather than having deep characters, intelligent writing or intricate storytelling. The readers/viewers spend the whole time wondering what their wizard name would be or how cool the spells look. The whole thing falls apart once you start putting some thought into the story, but that's okay because the target audience is children and vapid retards.

It's the equivalent of a throwaway pop song. It's not good, it's just perfectly designed to hook in idiots.

It was just training so I could grow up and bitch that Game of Thrones isn't exactly like the books.
I guess I've been autistic my entire life.

I don't know. I never liked it. But I assume people like it either because of some escapist wish fulfillment, or because they want to bang the witch. The only thing I liked about it was John Williams' theme song.

There hasn't really been a fantasy work that ever interested me. It's a really gay genre. Either you get topless musclemen in loincloths flexing their shaved bodies or you get twinks running through a forest waving twigs around making things sparkle. What utter faggotry.

I was too old to be the target audience but I read them anyway, because I read quickly and they seemed fun. I guess they're all right, I'd let my kids read them.
I've never bothered to watch the movies without Wizard People Dear Reader or Rifftrax.

Here's your (You)

Holla Forums pls

That's crazy, I was just talking about this in another thread.

You know Conan would buttfuck Harry's bunghole.

which one?

I only saw it for Hermione

When I saw she had bush that was one of the happiest and exhaustong days of my life

Say what you will but Emma was a fuxking dropdead gorgeous bitch when she was in her early teens (and cute when younger too)

Pedos, please leave by suicide.

Just that you get accused of being from some random board for any reason, or no reason at all, in almost every thread these days. It's weird.

If you have a problem with that then go back to your containment board.
>>>Holla Forums

Nigga is you crazy?

She was shit-tier when she was younger and has only gotten worse with age

where was this?

Okay, Bizarro Superman.

*sorry, though you were replying to me for some reason

I was a retard today.

In all seriousness, though, when did people who browse imageboards start giving a shit about pedophiles?
Where did all of these evangelizing moralfags show up from?

The books are basically your generic late 1800s-early 1900s coming of age/school story with a little bit of magic thrown in to explain how it can all go on in the current day.

The setting is an inconsistent mixture of nostalgia for an idealised era nobody reading the books ever experienced and standard fantasy clichés/mythology but it comes together to work for whatever reason.

And another point on why adults like it:

Most people didn't really have the 'perfect' school experience seen in media (Harry, by and large, does get it). Getting to live it through escapism is always popular. You can see the same thing with any film, tv series or anime set in schools or at a school age.

Nostalgia is a powerful force.

Normalfags/reddit. Neo-Holla Forums is largely made up of new arrivals too. There's a reason they are very touchy about accusations along those lines.

Harry Potter is literally western Naruto.

The appeal is in the complicated magic system, but you can only read about it in the novels. Not unlike reading the backstories attached to the best items in the D&D vidya. Example:

The only known counter-spell is sacrificial protection, which uses the magic of love. However, one may dodge the green bolt, block it with a physical barrier or by the use of Priori Incantatem. The Killing Curse is an "unblockable" curse, thus Shield Charms won't defend against it. An explosion or green fire may result if the spell hits something other than a living target.

And the autism goes on. As for the rest: the fight against evil is the same old shit instead, and Harry a boring flat character that's a woman's idea of a perfect son.

Harry Potter is fundamentally live anime.

I don't get it either, it was just nerds who read those books when the books came out.

Nobody gives a fuck faggot.

They never even properly explain the magic system, though. How does it work? Do you just make a proper movement and say shit in the right tone of voice and boom, it works? Because if that's the case, then every single wizard and witch in the HP world is a fucking retard for struggling with this shit. Or do you just point your wooden cock, think "Suckitfaggotus", and boom, your opponent is giving themselves a blowjob?

The Harry Potter system of magic has to be the most buttfuck retarded system of magic I've ever seen.

Tom Brown's Schooldays with wizards.

When pressed for comment, Rowling made up a mini-essay about how wizards are born with a "magic capacity" that grows and becomes easier to develop with training (and is diminished by emotional trauma and dark magic induced injuries). So it's literally a "muscle" that fuels their capability to actually achieve casting power. If you want to know where that internal magic reservoir comes from, how it's tapped into, why wands and butchered Latin are catalysts for it, and what determines max capacity, well you're just gonna have to corner and browbeat answers out of her yourself.

emma watson peaked in the second movie and has been getting uglier ever since

The actual story itself is mostly generic shit but the world is very interesting, whimsical, and lends itself very well to escapism.

This is also why the latter half of the movies were so terrible; they treated the video game tier plot and comic book tier characters as the main attraction while completely ignoring and watering down the setting and world building that drew everyone in.

They sort of seem to have finally recognized this since they're making another movie in the same universe as a prequel with completely different characters long before any of the plot from the original series happens.

Midichlorians, obviously.

gee i dunno man.

That still doesn't explain how someone can rock in one area of magic, and totally suck in another, like how Harry excels at dueling, but for some reason sucks at other types of magic. If it's a universal "muscle", then as you develop, you should just kick ass at everything.

And it still doesn't change the fact that it's terribly inconsistent. Apparently to cast that levitation spell, you need to do a bunch of crap, yet later on in the books, Harry and company just need to point their wands, and say the words, and all done.

Or that struggling with saying some words and waving a stick still makes everyone look like total fucking retards.

The first three were god tier, but it went to shit after it got all emo and grimdark.

Voldemort did nothing wrong.

Now see that description agrees with some form of eugenics for magical power.

Genetics affects every other type of muscle or inherent ability. True you can have a great sprinter come from poor genetic stock but it's more likely he'll come from a society of great sprinters (see: Jamaica).

Girls just like it because of the rape, they love to talk about how he "totally secretly liked it guise"

also, why can you create just about anything out of thin air but not food?

how is food even defined? flowers can be eaten, but I'm pretty sure someone conjures those in the books

That article is nothing new.

Is it a universal muscle? You could work out your arm but your fingers still miss the skill or muscle memory to operate a gun well.

I haven't read the book but wasn't that because they were first learning the spell? Maybe their mastery over it excelled?

The way you wrote it, Rowling seems to think so. You have "magic capacity", not "Charms capacity", "Transfiguration capacity" and "Dark Magic capacity". So, by her own definition, it should be uniform across the board.

If I recall correctly, it was specifically written that this was the proper technique to perform the spell, much like there's a proper technique to use in a tennis match. Later on, this concept of "proper technique" just disappears, in fact it disappears in the very same book later as demonstrated by Hermione.

I always preferred Jeremy Soule’s soundtrack over Williams’

CoS: youtube.com/watch?v=iPg5U65didA

There are many reasons why someone would be good at certain things – if you want to be a good duelist, you need to have quick reflexes – good eye to hand coordination, be fit and fearless.

Many of the classes at Hogwarts doesn’t even require the students to know any magic at all: Potions, History of Magic, Astronomy, Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures, Ancient Runes, Broomstick practice & Muggle Studies.

Imagine being Emma Watson in that scene and having to be all like "damn, Rupert Grint, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your red hair and doughy lumpy blubber face. I would totally have sex with you, both my character and the real me." when all she really wants to do is fuck another 21 year old chad in her dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be Emma Watson and not only stand around in the rubble while Rupert flaunts his freckly visage in front of you, the bright sunlight barely concealing his bright red hair, and just sit there, take after take, hour after hour, while he perfected that speech scene. Not only having to tolerate his corpulant fucking visage but his haughty attitude as everyone on set tells him he's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, RUPERT ACTS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch his doughy fucking butter face contort into types of grimaces you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of chads and BBCs and later alleged rape victims for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in England. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on his bulbous forehead as he sucks it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in his "statuesque (for that is what he calls himself)" physique, the physique he worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous months. And then the director calls for another take, and you know you could fuck every single person in this room before the studio security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking Emma Watson. You're not going to tarnish your acting career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

Rupert isn’t ugly - he doesn’t have any freckles either.

Emma can’t act for shit, and she is no beauty either – on the contrary actually.
Daniel just looks awkward and autistic as fuck in that picture.
Rupert looks like a cool, laidback guy.

Emma is a lying cunt.
independent.co.uk/news/people/emma-watson-named-in-panama-papers-database-a7023126.html

there's nothing wrong with you, the movies were really just overrated shit. the books were bretty good though.

I was always puzzled by the plebs fawning over the movies as if they weren't mediocre at best, completely failing to capture what had made the books such a compelling read.

weesy defence force please go

the idpol is strong with this newfag

Its babbys first epic saga, imagine Dune but aimed at tweens and later teenagers

so, Dune?

I remember part 7-1 made a lot of people butthurt because the poster reminded audiences of the Twilight film posters.

Wizard People, Dear Reader

There isn't any, it's made for fags.

Don't be autistic, there's hundreds of pages about this shit. It just doesn't dwelve into science like anime would. As to say, there's no aliens leaving behind crystals that gather souls which are linked to a character by birth.

Magic works like the magicians of old (and of /fringe/) believe it does, through formulas and innate affinity to the occult. Great fiction, fantasy and science fiction, always bother more with the innumerable and flimsy details than the core questions. Because the former tell the story, while the latter in the end are just make believe.

Underage characters and subliminal sex messages are the appeal

subliminalmanipulation.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-generation-of-subliminal-messages.html

Considering the entire fucking book series is set in a magic world, is it really that much to ask for the magic system not to be retarded?

2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 are fantastic

its olay you havent bothered to consider the extreme british nature and self deprecation of wizards and mankind but at least try to before opening your mouth Cuaron and Yates' were amazing

7.1 is straight kino. who cares if plebs couldn't understand it, it fit the story perfectly and was a good adaptation.

if you cant appreciate that film is a different medium for a reason or acknowledge that films have different necessities than books youre retarded. the films progressed as they did bc for harry things become pretty unpleasant

Emma was the best one and it wasn't even a contest. You guys really have no clue what you're on about.

no

emma couldnt be more hmng

You dont get a lot of things mate, case and point was as harry grows up the magicial world becomes more familiar and just as hostile as the normal one. Its splattered with orwelian themes. Its British. Thats why you dont get it, you cant think outside the box, the films did this better then the books ever could have.

sign me up fam shes a goddess

Ahahah you're a fool see this and don't bother expressing your blind opinion.

This is just a drop in the bucket of things going on in HBP. There's quite a lot of think about in the latter ones.

buzzfeed.com/andyneuenschwander/proof-that-harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince-had-the-mo

Since fucking when.
With some spells working even if you don't know what they are supposed to do, some requiring specific intentions, and some being just freshly invented.
And no, you can't say "it's magic, it does not have to be logical", because they are clearly showing is as something that can be understood, taken apart scientifically and taught to others. It could have been done well, if we were shown that there is a lot of behind-the-scenes mechanics to it that we're denied, but no, the viewer is shown that it's easy peasy, and some spells literally boil down to saying a word and waving a stick.

All industry boils down to school supplies, quidditch supplies and newspaper. We are barely shown any other aspect of the market, we don't know if and how is anything manufactured.

We're shown two international schools, and all we're told about them is "this one has hot chicks, the other one has german bodybuilders".

Most basic being not combining magic and muggle technology on every step.
And he sucks at it, while there are dozens of muggleborns in the magical world who should have been working on it for decades.

Theres a reason the magical world is aloof most wizards are batshit and the ministry is seemingly impotent. its for added humor number one. and its mocking the current system and nature of the british to be fussies who are far from perfect. the films portray this pretty well. the ministry is corrupt as fuck before voldemort even gets there, this also speaks to the nature of governments.

To add I wouldn't want to see muggle tech combined with wizardry if they are 1000s years old why would they want to use muggle tech in the first place when they can still do everything they need to plus all the magaical shit in the world. perhaps its just about keeping their culture in tact bc its comfy af to be a wizard. magic has been shown to mix with muggle objects so it cam be done but we just havent seem it yet and i think that shit would have overloaded potter and given it a steampunk vibe thats shit

but yea flying car thats it but what more do they need if they arent bothered and are masters of their domain. wizards would wreck muggles if a fight ever got out btw they could infiltrate and impersonate the government and kill at will while reaking magic havoc and magicial cratures on london as a decoy

maybe we will see something else in fantastic beasts since its set in america and they actually are persecuting witches

Quit posting the feminazi cunt who can't look like she has an ass EVEN WITH FUCKING JEANS ON

dude what

how does she not have ass?

this is some Maisie tier autism

faggot

I do not see the appeal. Here we have Harry, but if I remember right he never learns amazing spells, but uses some basic shit to kill Voldemort at the end. I get making him "special" to make the book interesting, but its not like he even a mediocre magician.

he doesn't need to be good at magic, since the universe keeps bending over backwards to give him everything he wants

voldemort killed himself desu
harry wasnt supposed to be special thats the point of the entire thing that he was normal expect voldemort decided to choose him to go after in the prophecy, he was just harry and otherwise would have been like the other person in the prophecy neville

he produces a bomb ass patronus. his importance was moreso based on his character and his nice demeanor and perseverance.

he crucios bellatrix momentarily but besides that hes learned everything he had to at school, even ends up teaching his fellow pears defense against the dark arts when their teacher sucks, he becomes and auror later in life so of course hes good at spells, he was always very good at them. also a gold quidditch player should have went pro tbj

lol pears peers*

What I got from the book is voldemort basically created a self fulfilling prophecy in his paranoia

laughingdursleys.jpg
You're right, it would have been for the best.

what if it's not infinite energy though?

what if the magic in the Potter universe is powered by the souls of unborn babies?

what are you trying to say user?

it's always been pretty gay, I prefer well-written and mature, unpredictable stories like Game of Thrones :^)

We, as a species, have but one duty, and that is ensuring the nigger never leaves this solar system alive.

Agree completely. Not that I had a shit childhood, I did have my enjoyable moments, but I'm enjoying my adult life even more.
I sometimes get the idea that the ones who are more nostalgic about MUH CHILDHOOD are the lazy little faggots who don't want to deal with responsibilities, always sucking on their parents' teats.
Gradeschool was fine, midschool sucked, highschool was great, college was great. Even so, the only thing I miss was fucking around and fighting with my friends, I don't miss being a kid or eating junk food or muh games/anime. I enjoyed it but I don't desperately cling to those memories.

too late

I agree that doesn't mean you cant like hp though. It's young adult and even adult considering the age of the actors. The only truly childish ones are the first two and even the second was considerably darker in a good way

"Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat."
- J. K. Rowling

Hillary pls. Rowling is a whore that sucks kike dick, but she is not you, this needs to stop.

hp is the best

I agree. god tier condiment

Idk what that is and i lived in london briefly

that just steak sauce or bbq?

it's kind of like a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice

for fish and chips? otherwise sounds meh

OP is a faggot

For pies

I want a movie about a bunch of multicultural muggles that are sick of being dicriminated/harassed by those fucking cunty mage children, and take it upon themselves to fumigate the entire fucking school with VX gas.

it could be like a heist movie, but with a healthy dose of Breivik style child slaughter

Kids in wizard school was an appealing concept and millions got hooked on the first book and film. The next story was okay so they stuck along. From there they were all now slaves to a story with decent potential to some generic action saga with no real story.