Daily News Thread 11/15

Zimbabwe’s Military Seizes Power, Detains Mugabe

Zimbabwe’s military seized power and detained 93-year-old President Robert Mugabe in a struggle over the succession of the only leader the African nation has ever known.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-14/zimbabwe-ruling-party-calls-military-chief-s-comments-treasonous

Australians decisively support same-sex marriage

Australians have overwhelmingly voted in favour of legalising same-sex marriage in a historic poll.
bbc.com/news/world-australia-41992344

An LAPD officer accidentally filmed himself putting cocaine in a suspect’s wallet

It’s reportedly the first LAPD body camera video that the media and public have seen.
vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/14/16649034/lapd-police-plant-evidence-ronald-shields

Roy Moore Seeks Refuge in Shrinking Pool of Alabama Supporters

Denounced by his party and beset by accusations of sexual misconduct with minors, Roy Moore sought refuge in a church.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-15/roy-moore-seeks-out-core-supporters-as-allegations-roil-campaign

At Slave Auctions, Libya Smugglers Are Selling Off Migrants for As Little As $400

Humans are being bought and sold at modern-day slave auctions in Libya, according to an investigation by CNN.
businessinsider.com/humans-are-being-sold-as-slaves-for-400-each-in-libya-2017-11?r=UK&IR=T

Nafta Bickering Begins Again Today

Nafta talks are set to pick up Wednesday for round five where they left off a month ago: with tension and animosity in the air.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-15/nafta-talks-resume-as-u-s-warns-short-fuse-risks-burning-down

Trump picks ghost hunter to be federal judge

One of President Donald Trump's judicial nominees is a ghost hunter who has written several novellas about paranormal activities.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42001038

Saad Hariri: Saudis detaining Lebanon PM says Michel Aoun

Lebanon's President Michel Aoun has for the first time publicly accused Saudi Arabia of detaining its prime minister, who resigned unexpectedly during a visit to Riyadh on 4 November.
bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41995939

Despite EU caution, France pursues tough line on Iran missile program

France said on Wednesday it wanted an “uncompromising” dialogue with Iran about its ballistic missile program and a possible negotiation over the issue separate from Tehran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
reuters.com/article/us-iran-nuclear-france-eu/despite-eu-caution-france-pursues-tough-line-on-iran-missile-program-idUSKBN1DF23M?il=0

Polish govt defends nationalist march on Independence Day

Polish authorities stopped far short of condemning a massive nationalist rally in the capital Warsaw on Saturday, calling the event, which was marred by anti-Semitic and Islamophobic chants, an expression of patriotism.
rt.com/news/409886-poland-nationalist-march-beautiful/

100 members to quit Macron party over ‘lack of democracy’

Some 100 activists from Emmanuel Macron’s political party are quitting because the movement “offends fundamental principles of democracy” and shows “arrogance and contempt” for its dialogue-seeking members.
rt.com/news/409873-macron-party-members-quit-democracy/

Internal human gene-editing gets first trial

A California man suffering from a rare disease has become the first person ever to undergo an attempt to edit genes inside the body – however it’s not clear what side-effects could result from the groundbreaking procedure.
rt.com/usa/409945-gene-editing-dna-experiment/

Other urls found in this thread:

reuters.com/investigates/special-report/zimbabwe-mugabe-farming/
theintercept.com/2017/11/15/deportations-plea-bargains-immigration/
counterpunch.org/2017/11/14/catalonia-and-the-art-of-differential-diagnosis/
theintercept.com/2017/11/14/congress-palestinian-children-israel-us-military-aid/
nakedcapitalism.com/2017/11/health-care-pain-city-burbs.html
politicalcritique.org/world/eu/2017/can-diem25-become-the-first-transnational-party/
opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/diem25/not-just-another-political-party
bbc.com/news/world-europe-41996322
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

TYBNewsAnon2.0

For the black farmers in Zimbabwe this is going to be shit. The opposition has already announced to reverse the land reform. This is bad news.

The NATO aggression against Libya was truly a success story.

Forgot to post source
reuters.com/investigates/special-report/zimbabwe-mugabe-farming/

OP/ED

Federal Prosecutors Are Using Plea Bargains as a Secret Weapon for Deportations

theintercept.com/2017/11/15/deportations-plea-bargains-immigration/

Catalonia and the Art of Differential Diagnosis

counterpunch.org/2017/11/14/catalonia-and-the-art-of-differential-diagnosis/

Israel Uses U.S. Tax Dollars to Abuse Palestinian Children. This Bill Would Put An End To That.

theintercept.com/2017/11/14/congress-palestinian-children-israel-us-military-aid/

Health Care: Pain City in the Burbs

The suburbs are home to 44% of the overall population and 38% of the uninsured population. The uninsurance rate among suburbanites is 15%.
nakedcapitalism.com/2017/11/health-care-pain-city-burbs.html

Why isn't the world doing anything about this? Why was Lybia couped then left to rot away while ISIS conquered the country and migrants are sold as slaves?

so they want to be spied on?

Well why isn't the world stopping the genocide in Yemen? The point of the Libyan intervention was to stop Gaddafi from undermining the petrodollar. This goal was achieved.

This is fucking repulsive. How is the ICE not sign of fascism in America? Where is the DoJ? The ACLU?

good, giving land to people with no interest in farming was a shit policy anyway and bankrupted the entire country

in b4 they hand it to Chinese corporations

China pretty much own Zimbabwe at that point anyway. The Yuan is offical currency in Zimbabwe. Can you believe that?

Yet, Chinese imperialism usually seems to be less extractive than western one. Here is hoping the Chinese might provide infrastructure and so on.

This will be interdasting.

GODSPEED YOU! BLACK NEWSANON

Nice.

Coulda done that immediately after he became literally insane.

Libya, joining Somalia as the new libertarian paradise.

These days, I don't even do a double-take at hadkines like those.

Wait, we're already at the point where gene therapy can be done on individuals instead of embryos? I'd think the first really genetically modified person would be a test-tube baby.

Reposting from the last thread in case people missed it:

DiEM25, trans-European left democratic group formed last February by Yanis Varoufakis, to become an electoral party

DiEM25 currently has 64,000+ members across the EU
Interview with Lorenzo Marsili about it
politicalcritique.org/world/eu/2017/can-diem25-become-the-first-transnational-party/
More in-depth explanation
opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/diem25/not-just-another-political-party

WELL GOLLY GEE I WONDER WHY

How though? They gonna partner with local parties or what?

Considering how Varoufakis has been supporting the establishment candidates everytime the alternative was a right-wing populist, this is likely.

I love the guy but holy shit his praxis sucks ass.

Yeah he was pro-Macron, but you see there is another continental member of DiEM25: [pic related]

I thought he was pro-macron only insofar as he didn't want Le Pen to further energize the EU's far right. He's a reformist primarily out of his alter-globalist agenda. I think he's just a pragmatist first and foremost which, to me, puts him at least a bar above your typical socdem.

oh wow

Damn, the sorry fools want to stop starving! Why would they do this?

Amused oinking

I love Horvat, but I don't think I've ever seen him mentioned on here. Why is that?

Their not starving because of land reforms, their starving because of hyper-inflation and a shitty capitalist economy that can’t even provide for people’s basic needs. The situation is not that much different from elsewhere in Africa.

Also, I had never clocked that no single party has ever tried to run a European-wide campaign. It would be interesting to see such movement actually try to run in all the 27 states next election (the UK leaves like a month before the 2019 elections [supposedly]).

Also the concept of instead of just having a European party alliance, but a party as an entity that has movements that are members of it is interesting, not sure how it will work. Tbh the leftist movement in Europe seems to be quite sovereigntist; Corbyn himself was against the EU back in '75, Melenchon is opposed to many cornerstones of the European Project and their likes. The fact Hamon wants to get on-board with DiEM25 and in the interview with the Italian paper the bloke shirks of FI for the PCR, Ecologistes and the Hamonards speaks volumes.

Seriously, go read Trump's ghost hunter article. I was going to quote good parts, but the whole thing is beautiful. Perfect material to show his supporters what a cheap cronyist he is.

bbc.com/news/world-europe-41996322
China 'gay conversion': Accounts of shocks and pills
i bet the first-worldists did this

Trump confirmed for egoist

I-I made a thread about him last year when he had a talk at Elevate Festival. I like him too but he's pretty standard, I guess.

It's okay dude. They'll have gay space communism in few decades.

what