Protestant Reformation

On this day 500 years ago, Martin Luther hammered his theses challenging the Catholic establishment on the doors of Churches, kickstarting the Protestant Reformation and the start of decades of war on the European continent between the Christian factions.

What's your opinion on this? Was it a good or a bad thingm

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Against_the_Murderous,_Thieving_Hordes_of_Peasants
marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1850/peasant-war-germany/index.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was bad but necessary. The dialectic can be cruel sometimes.

Martin Luther was /ourguy/ despite Protestantism degenerating into being more reactionary than Catholicism in the modern era.

It helped destabilize papal backed European monarchy and made way for the rational state. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Also shattered the hegemony of the church over Europe, building on the Renaissance to create conditions for the success of the Enlightenment.

To be fair, I don't think Martin Luther could have predicted that. Hell, I don't think anybody could have predicted the rise of capitalism during that time.

Martin Luther was a revolutionary. He was one of the great forces of progressive upheaval in history. There would be no Enlightenment without the Reformation. Luther's rebellion made leftism possible.

-Karl Marx

Luther was a fucking asshole who sucked the dicks of the German princes. Müntzer was /ourguy/. Read The Peasant War in Germany

t. Luther

Nope.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Against_the_Murderous,_Thieving_Hordes_of_Peasants

Nah he was a bitch who back pedelled when peasents actually tried to change things

Anyone have a good leftist history of the reformation? I refuse to believe that the wars were solely about Transubstantiation or whatever official theological bullshit

Engels wrote about the peasant rebellions, I'm sure he went into detail about the Reformation in that text.

marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1850/peasant-war-germany/index.htm

literal ISIS rhetoric

The eternal Swabian strikes again!

The Catholic Church was, is and always will be a terrible reactionary institution with worldwide influence that it used and uses to attack communism. The Reformation definitely helped pave the way for Europe's modernisation and anything that undermines the RCC is good.

martin luther was a deranged tit who wrote fanfiction of himself farting at the devil and applauded when empire forces drowned muntzer's revolt in blood.

To further elaborate on other posts about Luther, you have to understand who really was behind the Protestant Reformation hint it wasn't him.

Luther's views of the Catholic Church weren't new or revolutionary. What was different between him and the dozens of others who were burned at the stake for (rightly) challenging the Catholic Church was that Luther was backed by the German nobility. These princes no longer wanted to be taxed, through de facto mandatory religious donations and offerings, and wanted Vatican owned and operated land for themselves.

The biggest of Luther's benefactors was Frederick III who prevented Luther from being harmed due to his excommunication after the Diet of Worms by stowing him away in one of his castles.

Luther expressed his views on the peasantry after this stay and influence of the German nobility who wanted to break away from the Catholic Church. These views were given in an attempt to calm down the peasantry who continued along the lines of Luther's thought in a call for the elimination of the need for the nobility as well as the Catholic Church.

Was Luther right about the Catholic Church? Yes. He was also, or later became, a tool for the German nobility at the time.

This was still an enormous step forward in progress. You can't expect something as radical as the Peasant's War to succeed in the conditions of those times. I would call Luther's betrayal analogous of Lenin's crackdown on Kronstadt and Revolutionary America's repression of Shay's Rebellion.

The breakup of the power of the church was a step forward, but Luther was no revolutionary. The actual actors were the German princes, and they were the ones who gained from it all. He was just their mouthpiece

Didn't the Catholics just get done doing the same thing against the Cathars a couple centuries before?