why is the games industry so terrible ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2TXWdyrqFP8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyongyang_Racer
theguardian.com/technology/2013/mar/29/cuban-video-game-revolutionary-history
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pic unrelated btw deus ex was amazing

We can also rephrase it into "Why is contemporary entertainment so bland?"
How comes glue sniffer like Zack Snyder get one movie deal after another?
Why do all series seem to perform under the premise "plottwist first, logic second"?

Because we let gamers make games.
If we got decent human beings - preferably women - to make them, they'd be more fun and non-violent.

Video games and computer in general are industries that appeared AFTER neoliberlism took hold of the world and most of their growth is thanks to the most ruthless neolberal ideas. Computers and software have no history before neliberalism of their workers unionising or any sort of leftist presence.
I really want to start a cooperative game studio or tech company now

y'all niggas need Sonic Mania

Isn't this a sign that the entire practice of software development and computer engineering are inherently capitalist? We should tear down the entire industry and return to a more civilized way of life.

homosexuality is bourgeois: the post

There are still a lot of good games coming out, but retards only looking at AAA titles won't ever hear shit about them. I don't even care personally. I've been having a blast playing the countless takes on Wizardry.

DRM is fucking cancer.

Because you can't have nice things under capitalism.
The latest fad under AAA publishers is trying to push lootboxes on everything, thanks to valve and Tigole (because he wasn't happy enough after killing the whole MMO genre with WoW) printing money.
Wasn't Yanis the guy behind the TF2 lootboxes?

Just like music and movies the vast majority is garbage, that doesn't mean everything sucks though. Maybe one day we can crush capitalism and liberate videogames but for now just pick out the good ones. Say no to freemium, microtransactions, paid mods, and especially paid games that still somehow feel like freemium (R6 Siege for example).

That's what you get for having something that isn't physical.

Ding ding ding. This motherfucker gets it. The medium of video games was never really an artistic one and I genuinely think that most video games display signs of capitalist compromise, be it riding a trend (like the hundreds of cover based shooters after Gears of War) to the state of microtransaction laden multiplayer games today, rushing incomplete games out the door like SaGa Frontier, mods like Project M being shut down due to draconian copyright laws, the artificial difficulty of older games that was used as a means of lengthening gameplay at the detriment of the player, games with otherwise fine stories being written by total dipshits (Mass Effect 3, Metroid: Other M), always online games that aren't player friendly like games with Denuvo, SimCity 2013 and so many other issues. And that's not even speaking of the glut of shit that wouldn't exist if it wasn't used as product to make a quick buck off some sap.

People that complain about video games being garbage because of SJWs or whatever are literally fucking retarded and know nothing about the medium. The issue is that, especially because of the manpower needed to create a video game, there will never be a "golden age" of gaming until the ties to captialism are cut.

You should have listened to Stallman.

they're gonna go bad because of rotational velocidensity anyway

theres a sale for deus ex for under 2 bucks eh? should i get it or not, i hear its pretty leftist and fun as well.

Pirate it. That way you won't be locked into Steam.

even if you take out the leftypoints it's still a very enjoyable video game

Talking about how fucked the games industry is. what do you guys think of Jim Sterling? i know he's just a socdem but he is the first guy to talk about how shit and profit-driven the industry is. youtu.be/2TXWdyrqFP8

The mere photo makes me cringe, isn't this guy a lolcow?

it's cracked, pirate that shit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyongyang_Racer

Are there any games from Cuba?

theguardian.com/technology/2013/mar/29/cuban-video-game-revolutionary-history

No. He was bitched about by Le rational Skeptics because he called them out on making Anita popular and some other shit i don't remember.

And what's wrong with that?

It's not lootboxes. The correct term is microtransations with gambling characteristics.

Because they want the everyone audience. In the beginning vidya was made by a few guys and meant to be fun. Even Deus Ex, which isn't that old, had a team of 20 people only. Now that's impossible, for AAA games anyway. You need many millions and huge teams. GTA V for instance had 1000 people working on it. So you can't try anything different because that isn't what is selling right now and if you don't sell you're deep in the red. And you can't offend anyone because you'll lose imaginary sales to people who wouldn't buy it in the first place.

It's not just video games, user. The movie industry, the anime industry, the Western animation industry, etc. It's all going to shit.

Not a bad question. I don't think a ton of video games tell their stories or have gameplay that's fitting of the medium. QTE's are awful because instead of developing a game that allows the player the freedom to pull off amazing feats, they press square and watch a cutscene that they're detached from. It also hampers the ability to tell a really interesting story. As much as I genuinely don't like the game, Dark Souls' best quality is how it's able to tell a fantastic story, in a way that couldn't be emulated in a movie or in a book.

Instead of exploring what video games can do, many are forced to use economically safe gaming conventions, or use elements from other forms of media that don't translate well into video games (see: David Cage's career) in order to be "profitable".

I've noticed western gamers are like Japanese otaku. They're both the most consumerist, gullible fucks and will fall for anything the respective industry does.

i cant pirate rn, im on a watchlist. i cant give them a chance to come for me. if they do the revolution is doomed and the prophecy wont be fulfilled. :/

Japanese otaku used to be a lot more DIY and niche hobby focused, but I guess capitalism ruined that too. At least the doujin side of things carries on that tradition.

Because the profit motive

duh

Do-it-yourself-ery is a product of poverty. What you want doesn't exist, and so you have to make it yourself. You have to get good at it because being bad at it means you've wasted money and resources. That's important when you're trying to stretch your salary enough to be able to afford another kit to bash together.

When you're a neet otaku you don't have to worry about cash. You just wait until your parents give you your next allowance. You don't have to worry about the making or customizing your pvc pantsu rori statuette.

I disagree with you that video games have never been artistic, you're right within the context of the industry, but take for example the Doom community that through sheer passion has been using Doom as their creative canvas in multiplayer and single player gameplay?

My critique wasn't to insult cases like what you said, but was supposed to be targeted at the industry as a whole. Also the origins of video games were as a way to fuck with expensive tech from universities, as toys to sell to children and to part quarters during a drunk pub crawl and outside of very rare cases like Tetris were only created in the context of post-1975 capitalist culture.

Honestly, most people complaining about video games are looking at the modern AAA market or at the very roots of video games. I would consider the period from 1990/1995-2008 to be a golden age in the medium.

A huge problem however is this throwaway mentality towards older games. People seem to just want sequels upon sequels and never seem to be satisfied with having a stellar one-off. I never saw someone who wanted a sequel to Citizen Kane, so why beg for sequels for great video games? If the sequels suck, then don't buy them. Ignore them. Even create fan projects to replace said sequels. We need to just learn to appreciate our Morrowinds and New Vegases. Treat it like a medium, NOT an industry. We don't judge movies based entirely on modern Hollywood blockbusters. And no, even movies were very commercialized in their early life. The first movies were literally cheap Nickelodeons, and the studio system is similar to the stranglehold publishers have.

As for good games, we just had Divinity Original Sin 2 get released. There's also A Hat in Time, which I'm excited to play. You can enjoy years worth of CRPGs as it is, for much cheaper than the AAA slop.

If anything, video games are actually cheaper than films and have more potential to be a medium free of capitalism. We have free fangames and free games period being developed by communities online, even entire engines like OpenMW. In fact, it's closest thing to communism that you can get to. Hell, we're even having community-funded projects through Kickstarter. Some were failures, but some (like Hat in Time and Shovel Knight) are succeeding quite well.

Rephrase the question to why the AAA industry is shit. The answer is in the name. It's an industry. is right here.

The solution is very simple. Secede. Don't buy new AAA games unless they're exceptionally good and impress you. I haven't bought a AAA game for a couple years, unless you count Nintendo games. Even then, I rarely bought AAA games since the early 2010s.

Honestly, there's probably an invisible trend for the original gaming audience to flee from AAA-games and only buy games developed by indie-devs and medium-sized companies. Any upcoming video-game crashes probably will hit only the AAA companies.

Haven't you played Divinity: Original Sin 2 yet?

Video games are a child's hobby and there are better things us well-read high Autism Level leftist should be doing in our free time.

This but unironically

This but unironically

What are the commie-approved hobbies?

sex

The only leftist mediums are books, podcasts, and independent films.

music is more leftist than those last two things

The snek doesn't know jack shit about video games

Who could have seen this coming?

His reviews are nonsensical (giving destiny 2 a 8/10 just after bitching about how it has lootboxes for ten minutes?), but he tends to report on the shit the games industry is pulling off.
Also, he makes Holla Forums mad as fuck, and that's always a plus.

i mean why live anymore no good game will actually have a playerbase and the ones which sneak through the cracks i won't enjoy. i even managed to miss the 5 month peak of the last shitty game i truly enjoyed.

one day ill make a good game, just by the time i start i would have forgotten what made all the others bad.

I actually agree with the snake, funnily enough. People only bitch about the industry being shit because all they play is fotm overhyped AAA shit that's forced down their throat by aggressive marketing (sure there's notable exceptions like The Witcher or Dark Souls, but they're a minority). In reality there's cheaper, better alternative to pretty much anything the industry churns out, Divinity OS is a good exemple (haven't played 2 yet btw, is it any good btw?) but most people just get a kick out of getting hyped for the next big thing so they just stay niche, but maybe that's for the better.

Excellent observation. Last time somebody noted that in another thread, I objected that games weren't unique in a post-union world, and challenged anyone to name a major union founded since then. Unbelievably, somebody reminded me the National Writers Union was founded in 1981! So, it COULD still happen.

Can anybody even imagine if GamerGate had pushed the EASpouse and anti-IGDA angles harder, ripped AAA and mobileshit developers a new asshole, and organized the industry? I and a few others tried, but there just weren't enough devs (openly) involved to make it stick.

Holla Forums has been praying for this since the mid-2000s. Frankly, if the last recession didn't do it, I'm not sure what will.

I don't think you were paying attention to SJW rhetoric. What they threaten isn't "make gaming worse", it's "make gaming ILLEGAL", and make no mistake, if they got a good moral hysteria going, they could do it, just like their predecessors did to 90% of the US comics industry with the CCA.

Get it at GoG, instead. Don't do business with people who refuse to respect you.

He made some good points back in the day, but jumped the shark bigtime in the 2010s with inane apologism for pseudoscientific censorship-mongers and professional victims.

All three of the LWs false-flagged on 4chan and elsewhere without the slightest skepticism from bloggersjournos, it was out of our hands.

TBH, vidya is somewhat unique compared to other artforms, because games aren't just art, they're also software. The desire for sequels and remakes is driven by either the software part running out of "assets" (the flurry of Quake and Unreal-engine games in the 90s, Gold Box D&D games, extremely long-running JRPG series, etc.), the assets/scenario enduring the test of time better than the software part it was originally coupled to (Prince of Persia, realMYST, Snatcher, Avernum, most classic arcade games), or a bit of both (Civilization, most MMOs, Starfox).

A better analogy wouldn't be movies, but something like a stageplay, where it has to be adapted to the cast/costumes/props/audience periodically, because games are a living medium.

(checked, lucky!)

It's being called one of the best games of the year, surpassing the original.

(checked)
wonder if anyone is still going to play it if/when I can afford a better pc

Every fucking thread.

this is your brain on Holla Forums

Imagine if GG hadn't happened, if the moral panic had continued without a peep of objection, if Clinton had won buoyed by a wave of SJW zealots washing in behind her. It could've easily been McCarthyism 2.0 with a "leftist" coat of paint.

It wasn't certain by any means, but I'm pretty sure we dodged a bullet.

Capitalism

Never forget that without the help of GG, Trump would have never gotten elected.
Some people actually believe this

Shame, I can't afford to spend 40€ on a game at the moment, and I'm also extremely busy, I'll pick it up next sale.

Oh, I can imagine that. Anita and all those retards would never have gotten a platform!

I love singe-player games but I think that's a lot of the problem. With gaming moving from the arcades to home, reinforcing isolation/alienation. At least with arcades you're with the people and playing cooperatively. Even in fighting games too. The point is building a community and exchanging ideals or banter face to face with sincerity, rather than being alone and surrounded by the constant bubble of irony that is the internet.

Yeah I know American arcades have always sucked for the most part, but that's no reason why they can't have a positive resurgence.

You know you can download it, right?

I wouldn't go that far, but GG certainly played a role. And not just Trump, remember the polarizing hysterics from Clinton's sycophants surrounding Sanders?

Like I said, they false-flagged on forums, and the press ate it up. With or without GG, they would've had an "audience", it wasn't our fault.

Moreso, remember that the LWs weren't what really made GG explode. What actually did it was the MASSIVE online censorship/shilling campaign with the flimst excuse ofin reaction to a very tiny number of discussions laughing at them.

i don't think KHAN was japanese

We would now be able to talk about video games and not be inundated with reactionary autism?

He was Chinese.

He was Laotian.

Fuck me and fuck you for reminding me.

All video games are a result of a capitalist system, hence why the industry is so terrible. By buying, or even pirating games, we support and further that capitalistic system that will continue to produce more and more terrible games. Making games will also just end up furthering the already corrupt system.

The only real solution is to totally pull out of the gaming industry until capitalism is crushed. Don't buy games, don't play games, don't make games, just ignore games entirely. Same goes for any capitalist controlled system. Participation is a form of endorsement.

Right…so…

Are you chinese or japanese…?

Laotian? Which ocean?