Daily News Thread 9/19

Germany's Radical Nationalists, Likened to Nazis, May Lead Opposition After Elections

According to polls, Alternative for Germany is on a course to become the largest far-right group to enter the Bundestag since the end of World War II.
telesurtv.net/english/news/Germanys-Radical-Nationalists-Likened-to-Nazis-May-Lead-Opposition-After-Elections-20170917-0027.html

Police car torched, 2 cops hurt in Georgia Tech riot after police shooting of student

A police car was torched and at least 2 officers injured as violence broke out at Georgia Tech in Atlanta over the deadly police shooting of 21-year-old Scout Schultz, after he refused orders to drop a knife.
rt.com/usa/403757-georgia-protests-student-death/

FBI wiretapped Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort - reports

Donald Trump's campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, was wiretapped by the FBI due to concerns about his links with Moscow, US media reports say.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41323172

Trump: US would destroy North Korea if forced to defend itself

US President Donald Trump has told the UN General Assembly that America would destroy North Korea if forced to defend itself or its allies.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41324970

North Korea envoy walks out ahead of Trump UNGA speech

Donald Trump’s first address to the United Nations General Assembly brought some interesting moments in international diplomacy as the US president issued rebukes to several states, chiefly North Korea and Iran.
rt.com/usa/403834-north-korea-envoy-walk-out/

Donald Trump Jr. gives up his Secret Service protection

Donald Trump Jr. has given up his Secret Service protection and is seeking a more private lifestyle, The New York Times reported on Monday.
businessinsider.com/donald-trump-jr-secret-service-2017-9

Putin orders to end trade in US dollars at Russian seaports

Russian President Vladimir Putin has instructed the government to approve legislation making the ruble the main currency of exchange at all Russian seaports by next year, according to the Kremlin website.
rt.com/business/403804-russian-sea-ports-ruble-settlements/

WikiLeaks releases 'Spy Files: Russia' detailing shadowy mass surveillance programme

Whistleblowing website WikiLeaks has published a new batch of documents allegedly detailing a key slice of the surveillance apparatus within Russia.
ibtimes.co.uk/wikileaks-releases-spy-files-russia-detailing-shadowy-mass-surveillance-programme-1639938

Ryanair offer £10,000 bonus to pilots who choose to give up leave amid strikes threat

Ryanair has reportedly offered a bonus of up to €12,000 (£10,653) to pilots who opt to waive their annual leave to replace colleagues who have gone on holiday.
ibtimes.co.uk/ryanair-offer-10000-bonus-pilots-who-choose-give-leave-amid-strikes-threat-1639937

Puerto Rico Faces Hurricane Maria After Irma’s $1 Billion Damage

Two weeks ago, Puerto Rico was spared a devastating hit when Hurricane Irma ripped up the Caribbean. This time, it may not be so lucky.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-19/puerto-rico-faces-hurricane-maria-after-irma-s-1-billion-damage

Barack Obama to make $1.2m from three Wall Street speeches

Former President Barack is reportedly set to be paid $1.2m for a series of speeches to major Wall Street firms, less than a year after he left the White House.
independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/barack-obama-speeches-fee-wall-street-latest-a7954156.html

Nazi knocked out in street 90 minutes after image shared by Antifa groups online

A suspected neo-Nazi was knocked unconscious in the street in Seattle after he was tracked down when an image of him was shared among anti-fascist groups online.
ibtimes.co.uk/nazi-knocked-out-street-90-minutes-after-image-shared-by-antifa-groups-online-1639918

Other urls found in this thread:

counterpunch.org/2017/09/19/trumps-war-on-the-north-korean-people/
theintercept.com/2017/09/18/the-senates-military-spending-increase-alone-is-enough-to-make-public-college-free/
nakedcapitalism.com/2017/09/sickness-american-healthcare.html
ibtimes.co.uk/7-1-magnitude-earthquake-hits-mexico-city-32nd-anniversary-tremor-that-struck-capital-1640014
npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/19/552141609/at-least-42-people-killed-as-powerful-earthquake-convulses-central-mexico
theintercept.com/2017/09/19/so-much-for-states-rights-gop-senator-wants-to-ban-state-single-payer-in-new-health-care-bill/
youtu.be/9DL_v-yskrE
reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-lawyers-exclusive/trump-using-campaign-rnc-funds-to-pay-legal-bills-from-russia-probe-sources-idUSKCN1BU2OS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_intersex_surgery
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

AfD are hardly 'radical nationalists'. It's not like they're gonna open the gas chambers for Muslims.

OP/ED

Trump’s War on the North Korean People

Amid renewed talk by the Trump administration of a military option against North Korea, one salient fact goes unnoticed. The United States is already at war with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK – the formal name for North Korea). It is doing so through non-military means, with the aim of inducing economic collapse. In a sense, the policy is a continuation of the Obama administration’s ‘strategic patience’ on steroids, in that it couples a refusal to engage in diplomacy with the piling on of sanctions that constitute collective punishment of the entire North Korean population.
counterpunch.org/2017/09/19/trumps-war-on-the-north-korean-people/

THE SENATE’S MILITARY SPENDING INCREASE ALONE IS ENOUGH TO MAKE PUBLIC COLLEGE FREE

ONE OF THE most controversial proposals put forward by Sen. Bernie Sanders during the 2016 presidential campaign was a pledge to make tuition free at public colleges and universities. Critics from both parties howled that the pie-in-the-sky idea would bankrupt the country. Where, after all, would the money come from?
theintercept.com/2017/09/18/the-senates-military-spending-increase-alone-is-enough-to-make-public-college-free/

The Sickness of American Healthcare

Some key facts that have been omitted from the debate over Obamacare and healthcare generally, apparently by design.
nakedcapitalism.com/2017/09/sickness-american-healthcare.html

how the fuck were they using dollars all that time when most of their trade is with europe

Fuck this gay earth.

I think that the AFD getting into power will possibly kick off a huge leftist swing, bear in mind the radical left in Germany is extremely numerous in comparison to other places and not afraid to kick off. This could cause a return to street violence such as before the rise of Hitler, which could in turn bring what we are seeing in America to the streets of Germany, which will in all likelyhood be a much more sinister affair and set of a chain reaction to the rest of europe. All in all I think them being part of the opposition would be a good thing long term, also just like the Trump admin the differences between traditional neocon, average liberal, or even welfare state social conservative in germany, and the far right will make themselves apparent as soon as they get a taste of power and have to actually come to agreements on policy etc. Overall an interesting new turn on the rising right situation one I'm not completely uncomfortable with, given the reaction from the left once seeing the scum get near power in other places

I just realized that it's already September.
Good job staying so consistent about this, OP.

based RT gives no fucks

It's two thirds of the way through september.

god fucking damn it we're going to war now aren't we
bu bu but muh kremlin puppet
porkies gonna pork I guess

When the fuck are we getting war goddammit. I'm tired of waiting for the happening.

God damn how do people fuck up the narrative this badly

Another strong earthquake hits Mexico, where are the EZLN when you need them?
ibtimes.co.uk/7-1-magnitude-earthquake-hits-mexico-city-32nd-anniversary-tremor-that-struck-capital-1640014

Powerful Earthquake Roils Central Mexico, Leaving At Least 42 People Dead

Thirty-two years to the day after an earthquake killed thousands of people in Mexico, a powerful quake rattled the country's central region Tuesday. Buildings shivered in Mexico City, shattering facades and sending clouds of dust skyward.
npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/19/552141609/at-least-42-people-killed-as-powerful-earthquake-convulses-central-mexico

West-coaster here, am I about to get norked?

Excuse me RT but did you just gender them?

AFD won’t do anything different from what Merkel will do, except for maybe some child subsidies and less immigration and once there revealed for that that there support base will evaporate. That’s why there not going to join any coalition offer they get.They aren’t Nazis.

would like to get a pic. Sounds cool.

Good

Good again

You don’t understand how global finance works.The US dollar is to the late twentieth century and the early twenty first century as gold was to the middle ages.

The AFD isn’t far-right. There only considered far-right because most political analysis is done by end of history liberals. If you compare the AFD to he NSDAP of the NDP the AFD looks centrist in comparison. I haven’t seen the AFD advocating for territorial expansion and the need for German living space yet.

theintercept.com/2017/09/19/so-much-for-states-rights-gop-senator-wants-to-ban-state-single-payer-in-new-health-care-bill/
SO MUCH FOR STATES’ RIGHTS — GOP SENATOR WANTS TO BAN STATE SINGLE PAYER IN NEW HEALTH CARE BILL

We army of darkness now.

youtu.be/9DL_v-yskrE

Trump using campaign, RNC funds to pay legal bills from Russia probe: sources

reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-lawyers-exclusive/trump-using-campaign-rnc-funds-to-pay-legal-bills-from-russia-probe-sources-idUSKCN1BU2OS

No refunds.

I was waiting for this. I expect more red states to put up roadblocks to Single Payer, despite them benefiting the most from it.

Trump using campaign, RNC funds to pay legal bills from Russia probe: sources

No refunds.

I was waiting for this. I expect more red states to put up roadblocks to Single Payer, despite them benefiting the most from it.

Bump, I'm actually pretty scared

Trump may be out of control but hopefully cooler heads will prevail over in NK.

Is Trotsky's house ok?

Trump is most likely at this point just a talking head. He will go after Venezuela before Iran or NK.

why would a a billionaire do this?

You're talking about Germans here, user - wanting neighbours that speak the same language is probably considered "radical nationalism" by the majority of Germans

That's how you become a billionaire.

AfD are National Liberals. They're probably more Centrist than Le Penis.

*Misgender

The joke is that they are agender, so shouldn't be gendered.

AfD are not radical nationalists, at best they are actually reactionary neoliberal hardliners with partly nationalist tendencies.

I haven't really been active in radical circles in the past few years, but as far as I know they are mostly deluded social democrats and liberals LARPing revolution. The closest we have to radical lefties in Germany are tons of PC-policing Antifa and even more smashies.

AfD are pretty centrist. Also they have libertarian platform, they are pretty much any reactionary capitalists' wet dream.

This. They are just another try to get people behind neoliberalism. In two ways: a) by making it "sexy" for the right through nationalist leanings b) by being the ultimate boogyman, thus rallying the population behind the already established neoliberal parties to avert the "fascist" thread.
This is just shock doctrine.

Yeah, they're called China and Russia.

Lol what? Are you just reading headlines again and skipped out the programs and debates with more than 100 words?

Well then put it in quotation marks. Its like writing "terrorist organisation Antifa".

He just posts articles, famalam

How does one identify as intersex? I thought that term was specifically about mixed up physical appearance of genitals. I think what
H H EEE
H H E
HHH EEE
H H E
H H EEE
meant by that is already covered by terms like queer and non-binary, no?

Other than "appearance" you are correct. Intersex people have sex organs with tissue/structure associated with both sexes. Appearance is relevant though, because doctors have trouble sexing the baby if genitals are a mix of male/female or generally look ambiguous. Intersex problems are quite serious (if uncommon due to intersex being uncommon), and have included doctors picking a sex and performing surgery to "assign" the baby to that sex often without the parents' knowledge or consent (and sometimes the justification is to avoid stigma or upsetting the parents). A lot of intersex people "identify" as one gender or the other, and in "assigning" them a gender the doctor is basically taking a 50/50 chance on getting it right, assuming that the person would even want their genitals altered in the first place. The issue overlaps significantly with genital mutilation, particularly the disguising of genital mutilation as a necessary medical procedure.

Someone who "identifies" as intersex is kind of making a mockery of the issue and is probably an ignoramus or piece of shit in general.

Relevant wikipedia article: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_intersex_surgery