"Cultural appropriation" bullshit

Today my friend was induced to cut her dreads by her black friend just because he disliked look of a white woman in dreads. Who the fuck do they think they are? How can you be so cheeky to dictate someone else how she should look?

I'm very angry to this topic. If someone's appropriating dreads - it's American Blacks.

Great blogpost, OP.

she cut them off? holy shit, she should have told her to fuck off.

Dreds are disgusting

I wanted to check if american lefstists will feel offended by my view that white people can wear dreadocks.

People shouldn't wear dreads in general. But I support white people with dreads struggle against black people imperialism.
Unironically. But you shouldn't wear dreads because you look dirty.

Let's be honest dreads look bad

You deserve everything that's present in your shitty life.

This part is dumb.

Switcheroo doesn't make it any more rational.

In all honesty, it's partially your friend's fault. If she liked the way her hair looked, she should have kept it. White people who half-ass this stuff and then decide to stop as soon as someone expresses displeasure are part of the problem. Like there have apparently been white kids who enjoyed rapping and gave it up because they decided there was some kind of racial copyright on it, decades after the style had spread worldwide. Unless your passion/style/whatever is blackface or some shit, you should have the balls to pursue it.

Are you from Holla Forums btw?

Leftypol doesn't rike the idpol. Most of us view "cultural appropriation" as largely counterproductive bullshit. My personal view is that there is some value to observing it as a phenomenon, but most of the stuff that's said about it now is vapid and ignores historical context. Also, a lot of what's labeled as appropriation just isn't, and appropriation isn't necessarily inherently bad in an artistic sense. Like, early rock'n'roll and r'n'b took spiritual music out of its context and put it into a very different one - quite clear cut appropriation in an obvious contextual sense, but also brilliant.

you know theres europeans here too, fucker

Caring about this from any angle is fucking gay

The most sad thing is that they perceive themselves anarchists. ;_; This country is fucked up, completely.

No, I'm not even English native user. And I hate fascists to death.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation and for this post.

tell your friend she's a spineless cuck and a push-over
tell those people who told her to cut it off that they're faggots

Dreads are a Jamaican thing. To be honest if Black-Americans can wear them without being practicing Rastafarians then anybody can. I see where they're coming from, nobody likes getting swag-jacked without due credit, but treating hippie liberals like Hitler Youth-tier racists just cuz they copy black culture alienates a lotta people who're prolly actually sympathetic towards your plight.

What counts as cultural appropriation though and is it all idpol without even a bit of legitimacy? Some designer fashion brand recently made a fucktonne of money from parading coked up, anorexic models on a catwalk in Paris (or Milan…whatever) round in them poncho/scarf garments the Masai people of Kenya are famous for wearing without giving even a penny of the profits to the people they took fashion cues from. Is that legitimate cultural appropriation? What makes Black-American "cultural appropriation" less important though?

In principle they're just as bad I guess, but it's seen as trivial cuz Black-American culture's been commoditized by porkies like record label owners, radio stations, film and television etcetera that it's become quasi-universalized which makes people sometimes forget that Jazz, Rock N' Roll, Rhythm & Blues, Blues, Hiphop, Soul, Funk, Ragtime etcetera is just as much part of Black-American culture as the history of slavery is.

Fuck, I dunno…I'm torn on this issue. I just tend to ignore it and hope that nobody brings it up. Bringing up anything related to cultural appropriation's doomed to divide people who normally would be down for each others struggle cuz it's such a hot button topic without clear cut answers (at least in my opinion).

""""""""Cultural appropriation""""""""" is regressive, right-wing nonsense. It's the same old "everyone should keep to their own kind" nonsense, wrapped up in modern SJW language.

/thread

ourguy?

yep

I cant understand this when in our nation we are born and raised to kill the enemy.

Support Vercingetorix and his noble struggle against Roman Imperialism!

Lmao. this is embarrassingly submissive.

Dreads are shit, but you other people shouldn’t have the ability to cut off outers hair.

The problem with “cultural appropriation” is that it implies that there’s an inherit cultural copyright. And I hate copyright.

Reminds me of that video of come College RA not allowing a white male student to leave a building because he had dreads, not sure what she was planning on doing about it. Its annoying but im sorta sympathetic to the appropriation arguement.

OP is just having a tantrum cus someone told someone else to do something. He'll be livid when mum tells him to clean his room again!

No matter if you're Holla Forums or Holla Forums, she gonna get BLACKED.

That why I think conservatism gonna win at the end no matter how morally bankrupt it is, cause everyone with non standard politics on the internet is too betamax to have kids.

culture is a spook

But……… he's right.

Idk, white people wearing dreads is pretty appropriation-y. Y'all shouldn't be surprised when black people get upset about it - especially when it's out of touch white liberals doing it, Jesus.

Y’all is a word that’s culturally appropriated by blacks from White Dixie culture.

not really Jamaican tho, maybe they made it popular but dreds existed ever since people grew hair and didn't comb it

Why

Is no one noticing this is just Holla Forums bait?

"Cultural Appropriation" is just some weird race realism repackaged for liberals.

Commodification can be opposed with out making it about race. I would go as far as to say the idea of "cultural appropriation" becomes a hinderance to the critique since it assumes commodification is not a problem if it's done by people of the correct skin tone.
That people have some kind of intelectual property rights based on genetics is not only absurd, but also a fundementaly capitalistic approach to culture.

Dreads where used in european cultures, but it would be dishonest to suggest you can trace a direct link to the modern day use of dreads, or that white hippies are trying to revive an ancient tradition by dressing like Bob Marley. Talking about european dreads is just obscuring the issue while accepting the deeply flawed premise of cultural appropriation.

This seems to only really be a thing in burger town. I work with a Jamaican who compliments every white person he sees with dreads. Also, dreads are the natural state of hair, they are are a part of literally every culture. Far East, Caribean, south/Central American, Germanic tribes, Scandinavian tribes, caucus tribes, aborigines. It would be easier to name cultures that don't have dreads as a traditional hair do.

Yeah, but they brought them back and really popularized them cuz of Rastafarianism and the whole philosophy that goes with it.

That's why I referenced the inconsistency of Black-Americans getting a "pass" to wear dreads without being Rastafarians.

This

he was a damn spook

All white leftists should wear dreads to intimidate and provoke the postcolonial scum in our ranks

This. White people don't have to go full Holla Forums in response to being question but holy shit it seems like they submit way too easily to pressure.

The problem is commodification, not appropriation. Commodification of culture alienates us from cultural significance the same way that commodification of labor alienates us from the significance of our labor. Culture is represented by reductive symbolism in the same way that labor becomes represented by money. Thus, the significance of that which itself is being represented is lost. Cultural appropriation should be seen as a positive thing, as long as it is done in a matter that does not include commodification. It is fine to appropriate a positive aspect of a culture, as adopting aspects of other cultures is one of the ways that cultures grow and develop. Cultural exchange, one of the primary mechanisms of cultural development, necessitates appropriation. Cultural appropriation being excellent can only start to make sense when you overlay it on a foundational theory of identity politics and hierarchies of oppression. However, these theories are themselves incoherent, as they reduce relationships to the means of production to a mere aspect of one’s identity. Therefore, cultural appropriation is real, but it is not a bad thing in and of itself. The problem is cultural commodification, which is a coherent concept because it describes a contradiction in the cultural superstructure of society arising as a reflection of an analogous contradiction in the economic base of society. It is not fine to appropriate one cultural artifact, use that artifact as a symbol for the culture as a whole, and then commodify that symbol. Culture is a set of practices influenced by material conditions. Cultural boundaries are spooks, and certain aspects of culture such as morality and theology are spooks, but to discard all of culture as a spook is intellectually lazy. Culture is made up of the complex interactions between human beings that spread through all sociopolitical and economic systems.