How the fuck did we let it get to this point?

how the fuck did we let it get to this point?
imagine in order to be a functional member of society you needed a machine where you rely on proprietary operating systems, and your traffic is recorded by both the
government and marketers. your only viable means of accessing the web are through a few select popular beacons where again everything you do and say is kept track of. where you have absolutely no privacy. you can be derezzed for any reason a select few individuals want you to be. if you access information or use computers you're not supposed to the police or government agents get involved and away you go to prison. you have to pay to access any such information in the first place, you have to pay for the same phones every year with just enough "innovation" sprinkled on top so you keep buying them, and low quality computers that can't even spot a phisching attack if it tried.
yet, in spite of all of this, only a tiny minority of the population actually understands how this very system works, attributing it to witchcraft like "clouds".

wouldn't that just be crazy?

Other urls found in this thread:

diogn.es/u/124
m.youtube.com/watch?v=tabVaoeNtdk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
podricing.pw/people/f3c6f9f0e2a201333c38040153c9bc01
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Seriously tho it's a good question OP. Worst part is the public is fully aware, with Snowden, Wikileaks, into available on the NSA, CIA, and net neutrality. My only explanation is the average person might perceive this as something they have no control over, way above them. I'm guilty of this sometimes as well

yeah this is why I drink welcome to the fucking club mate

Change a few words and you can describe finance. Or the pharmaceutical industry. Or real estate. Or… you get my point. Capitalism relies on the bulk of its agents being as ignorant of its inner workings as possible.

OP google does not care about you, believe me.

I've got some links for you….

diogn.es/u/124

for great privacy links &c.

Agree with parts, disagree with other parts. Will address the latter.

This isn't true, but they'd like you to think it is. People abstain from much of the internet through a combination of being curbed away from them (by the likes of Google (no longer all that comprehensive) and Facebook) and their own willful reception of garbage corporate propaganda. It's deliberate normality - IE a front put on in the interests of adhering to an archetype mass-mistaken for "average" or "acceptable" but actually created through marketing.

Idiot consumerism along similar lines to the stuff I said about the last thing. But I agree that said phones are absolute garbage that can't even run the internet properly without crutches. As of yet, I haven't touched even one of the disposable things.

Agree with this part so fucking much.
Hearing people say "the cloud" out loud is nauseating. It's like "oh, I know, we're worried about hosting content, what if we use servers! Those are new, right? Servers have revolutionized technology and I'm too fucking stupid to understand this technology has existed for the past 20 years!"

I assume that most people are not really this stupid, but I could be wrong.

this is why we must uphold Marxism-Stallmanism

No no no, see, it's different if Amazon owns the servers. They're like, far away and stuff.

For a second I thought I was on Holla Forums.
How should we change this system we are in at the local level? The classmates I see are all using botnets and Windows 10. The college had switched to Windows 10 between the summer and fall and the entire culture that I see on campus is cucked beyond repair.

If there is a price on you then they would care and a price is on you by the NSA. Alphabet is made by the NSA after all.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=tabVaoeNtdk

I think a large part of the issue is the demand for centralized control coming from the ambulance chasers and bean counters. Windows is very, very good at giving systems administrators the facilities to easily manage large scale deployments of terminals for large numbers of users. It also doesn't help at all that a large slice of the population are essentially brain dead when it comes to PCs; their implicit demand is that the PC becomes an interactive television. They will not learn about the machine regardless of the efforts others make to educate them and insist on owning the device regardless of their own incompetence with it (though phones may be changing that last complaint).

Freedom is possible. I have a Libreboot-ed laptop (Thinkpad X60 running Trisquel, I'm free down to the hardware. For chat I use IRC with OTR, for video calling I use Tox, for messaging I use Signal or Email with GPG. To browse the general web go through the Tor network. I hang out in the I2P network a lot for blogs, books, news, NNTPchan, and torrents. I2P is good stuff. I contribute to the network a lot. The Aktie app for I2P is really good too.

Locally I want to work with meshnets, like with Pirate Box meshing abilities using a Raspberry Pi. I tell everyone I know to use Signal and Tox, since they are easy. I put I2P stickers all over my city.

Everyone should have Signal on their phone and use it with everybody else. For when shit hits the fan, you should also have Rumble, Serval, and Briar. Actually you should already be using these things.

Actually….most people I know I have never head of Snowden, or did hear about him and think he is a RUSSHANNNN SPAII that sold the locations of CIA operatives to Putin.

Normies happened. Back in the first half of the 00's things were great, but in the second half web 2.0 started taking off. That started off a new Eternal September of people who had no concept of or respect for internet culture.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

Instead internet culture got replaced by normie culture and the tech companies were all too eager to accommodate them, and milk them for their meta-data.

OH! I forgot, for social networks I just use Diaspora. Feel free to add me with [email protected] or just look at my profile here: podricing.pw/people/f3c6f9f0e2a201333c38040153c9bc01

Man, that's an ugly font.

Thanks user, going to start looking into all this, I personally use Devuan because it's system d free.

It's nice to know a fellow anarchist who is also a freetard like myself. I have a x200 and librebooted it not too long ago, needed to install gentoo hardened this weekend.

Been thinking of getting an X200 but I was overwhelmed with details last time I looked for a used one. The one I saw for sale had one of those shitty ISO layouts with the giant Enter key. So I'd need to replace the whole keyboard, and then I'd also probably need to replace the battery as well.

Any tips for a potential buyer?

when we're at it, let's also be fine with cloudflare and the likes being a literal man-in-the-middle attacker for all their customers.

Because they bought any person on the left who could oppose him with shares, rainbow flags, cushy jobs and capability to ban people they dislike. Oh, and ruin Free Software via SJW hordes.

Capitalism do cooption all day erry day.

That's technological progress for you. Ted warned us. We refused to listen and now we've dug our own graves with no way of turning back the clock

Wasn't there a WikiLeaks document that revealed that the CIA can easily break through Signal?

No, it revealed that iPhone and Android have huge numbers of exploits allowing them to get into a phone. Once an end is compromised, any sort of encryption is meaningless. The lesson is don't use your phone for sensitive communication.