Are derivatives commodities? Does the LTV apply to them?

Are derivatives commodities? Does the LTV apply to them?

Other urls found in this thread:

pixiv.net/member.php?id=5156833
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No because it has no use value outside of capital accumulation.

Nope since it's not a commodity

Whats a derivative?

A promise of exchange at a later date, basically. So if we agree that next year I'll sell you a Google share and you will buy it for $1000, this agreement becomes a derivative in the form of a contract and can be sold and bought.

What the fuck kind of fucked up next level capitalist bullshit is this?

Also no they are not commodities and shouldnt exist.

It's basically gambling.

Cancer. They caused the crash back in 2008 because the assumed value of derivates was sevenfold the actual underlying value. Aside from derivates can also take the form of a bet. The bet is based on the future value of commodities or firms. An example would be a bet on that someone would default on their mortgage. This would be a bet on a loan having 0% return on investment (how this has any value is still beyond me).
What happens is that investors use derivatives as a cryptocurrency. They trade them, as if it is actual money, using their predicted value as the real money value. Before 2008 these stock market retards didn't consider the possibility of a housing market downturn (due to their ideology), so they overvalued the derivatives linked to mortgages. When the downturn eventually came, the value of derivatives decreased, panic ensued and the trade of mortgage derivatives stopped. Suddenly people realised that their derivatives were completely worthless since no one wanted to buy them (as Marx mentioned, exchange value requires exchange). Since the entire economy was infested with a worthless crypto currency. It made investors unsure of which firms and banks held real money, and which held worthless derivatives. This halted investment and loans, stopping all forms of capitalist growth, while companies and banks were declaring bankruptcy. All in all, it created a global economic crash since the 1930's.

The fact that an economic system can stop growth because of speculation should be proof enough that capitalism doesnt work.

Is there any good Marxist analysis of stuff like these?

Go watch The Big Short. It's got a lot of liberal ideology (literally dude greed lmao) but it does the best job I've seen of simply explaining what happened in the 2008 crisis.

Richard Wolff Probably has something on it. He has lots of bits about specific finance sector schemes.

Yes, they're a commodity: they are exchanged and valued. By concept a stupid amount of things in this world can be conmosities, nearly anything imaginable.

No, the LTV does not apply because it doesn't apply to anything as a determiner of value amount, only as substance (labor) in industrial capital.

Nice anime tittys

By that metric, absolutely anything that can be discerned as an entity can be a commodity.

Pretty much. If it can be bound and quantified, it can be turned into a commodity. Logically speaking, the only things that >shouldn't< be commodities are social relations and individuals, but we clearly give no fucks and turn them into such anyway by brute force and greed.

Source?

Bump

Bulldoze over the fuckers.

Holy fuck what a shit show.

Michael Hudson does some great analysis of the financial sector.

What should I start with if I know next to nothing about the topic?

pixiv.net/member.php?id=5156833
I think it's this guy

There's no should or shouldn't.

No they are not. They are second derivatives of capital - fictitious values that work similarly to land rents etc.

Try his book Killing The Host.

Thanks