jetpunk.com/quizzes/how-many-countries-can-you-name
dezeen.com/2014/09/10/dezeen-guide-to-brutalist-architecture-owen-hopkins/
youtube.com/watch?v=lHZQXNe2HpQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not building civilization on Barbuda.

Source?

what is a barbuda and why should i care

jetpunk.com/quizzes/how-many-countries-can-you-name

the only three countries i need are u, s, and a.

would Varg move to there?

Building all of the structures as-if they were bunkers.
I do doubt that even the worst weather event would do much to a solidly built Brutalist structure.

Everything looking much nicer would be an added benefit.

Requesting a virgin hurricane Harvey/chad irma meme

No he wants to live in Euro because "it a the natural home of the Aryan people"

That's fucked

bless UK journalism

British drizzle eroded them though, concrete ages poorly.

Where were you when Barbuda achieved ACTUAL WORKING Anarcho-Primitivism ehh?

Those structures rotted away because they were left there to rot with bugger all in the way of maintenance.
Just about any large inhabited building will start rotting away after decades without any real maintenance.

When it comes to both looking nice and weathering storms however, one cannot beat the perfection that is Brutalism.

sounds like ancapistan is finally here

I'll be honest, I don't really like you and what you stand for but I admire you command of the history of brutalist architecture. Got any interesting book or article on the subject? Cool photographs like pic related also appreciated.

Repairing eroded concrete is much more difficult than repointing a brick wall. Concrete simply isn't suited to a damp climate.

Fuck me I'd blow the shit out of Che's cock, no homo

Objectively wrong, friendo.

Only when not maintained.
Like any building.

I would appreciate you expounding upon this.
Specifics are always appreciated, especially in regards to criticism.

Well I don't have any book suggestions.
But I would recommend this article to anyone interested in Brutalism:
dezeen.com/2014/09/10/dezeen-guide-to-brutalist-architecture-owen-hopkins/

I do have so many, friend.

Sure.
But there is no law stating that the concrete of Brutalist buildings has to be exposed.
In environments where pronounced weathering is a concern, one could simply cover the solid concrete of the Brutalist structure in an exterior weather cladding.
The building is just as solid, the wonderful harsh lines of Brutalism are maintained and the concrete is protected against weathering.

got 68%, but there were a couple countries of which I did not know the english name
all those tiny island groups are a real bitch

That would defeat the entire idea of Béton brut, raw concrete surfaces. It also needlessly ramps up material costs and labour time to use poured concrete where a structure of steel beams would do.

Brutalism was a fashionable preparation for a future that would never be, like the artistic impressions of steam-propelled helicopters from the age of steam. Like all fashion, brutalism was vilified as epitome of bad taste after its fall from grace to be then picked up again by hipsters a few decades later.

What the fuck are you smoking? Half the point of Brutalism was to show off the possibilities of raw, casted concrete. If you're gonna clad it it's basically just a building reinforced with concrete, at which point it'd be way smarter to just use a design that's actually optimal for handling storms, which concrete isn't. See what happened to all those concrete hellholes in Texas. They flooded. Because covering everything in concrete prevents the water from draining. A building that is perfectly optimised for storms would be something like a raised, earth-covered bunker, not exactly brutalist.

And rightfully so.

lol

Nobody but Stalin himself and the immortal science of Marxism Leninism.

Tbh they should have nuked the hurricane while it was at sea

nobody ever listens.

I do admit that it would be odd given the origin of the name for the style.
But Brutalism is far more then just 'raw concrete'.
Literally every other aesthetic element of Brutalism would remain intact, one could even use a concrete-gray cladding if that is such an issue for you.

I think you mean a future that was subverted and stolen by the forces of capital and scarcity.
Once you deal with such forces, that wonderful vision can be rekindled.

Oh fuck off.
One is more then capable of preferring older styles of things without being a bloody hipster.
I'm personally quite happy to reject bourgeois fashion and aesthetics.
I would be quite suspicious of someone that did not reject such things.

That is a very shallow assessment of Brutalism and completely ignores all of the other architectural elements of the style.

My first post in this thread quite clearly put forward Brutalism as a style for storm ravaged areas due to how solidly build such structures are.
Flooding is quite beyond the scope of what I was addressing.

That said, we have the ability to build mass infrastructure to control even the worst potential flooding events.
Unfortunately the only place such infrastructure in currently in place is along the banks of the Mississippi river.
Large scale flooding events are literally the fault of scarcity economics and would not exist in a post-scarcity society.

Brutalism is perfection, friendo.

52% but I didnt know the english name for half of these.

Also who of you anglos decided that Marrocco should be spelled Morocco.

you beat me to it

honestly though i'd like experimental cities that'd try shit like that

Most of which require the use of raw, poured concrete. They're also not at all optimal for storms, since they catch the wind like fucking crazy and only remain standing because they're ridiculously overengineered. Besides, not using raw concrete is against the very basis of Brutalism. You're a fucking philisitne who's only into Brutalism because you got a raging boner for the 1984 aesthetic (which itself is a complete misunderstanding of Brutalism. Real Brutalism is comfy as fuck, not oppressive)
In other words it would be absolutely useless in a storm, since a storm is always accompanied by a flood.

It is now. If it looks weird, modern and ugly, it's post-modernism, if it looks pale, barren and modern, it's brutalism. If you use brutalism as a term for monolithic structures in general, we're having a discussion that spans back to the age of the pyramids, so I suggest you stick the context of brutalism as in the style that developed out of beton brút.

I mean a future that is like all visions of the future; an extrapolation of the present. See my example of steam-powered helicopters.

Such capability does not undo the tendency of hipsterism; such being the appropriation of the past out of a constitutive avoidance of the present. The irony of your rejection of "bourgeois aesthetics" is that brutalism is "bourgeois aesthetics", it is high-brow through and through.

Funnily enough.
I was an unironic Hoxhaist back when I was a Communist.

I think you will find that sharp angles and surfaces can be made out of many materials, friend.

Well I'm glad that you agree with me in regards to them being very solid structures.
As was my original claim.

It is an oddity given the origins of the styles name.
Nothing more.

I could only consider getting this upset over people not appreciating art in the exact same manner and for the exact same reasons as you a warning sign for autism, friend.

I will make sure not to post a picture of sonic with blue arms in the interests of not upsetting you further.

Quite incorrect, friend.
I have a raging boner for the aesthetic of 'Aliens'.
I just happen to like Brutalism for is efficiency and distance from modern aesthetic values.

Please don't mace me!

I would personally take a flooded but still standing building over a pile of debris any day.

And as I said before.
We have the ability to build infrastructure that all but removes any risk of mass flooding.

If you are honestly able to look at a series of Brutalist buildings and claim that the only similarity they have is exposed concrete, then I just don't know what to tell you, friend.
There is much more to Brutalism then the materials that a building is made out of.

I have yet to see any modern porky endorse Brutalism.
While I do not dispute that it was once 'in vogue'.
It is currently just about as far away as one could get from contemporary bourgeois culture.

That's rich coming from a guy wanking over an "edgy" architectural style he doesn't even understand, who spends his free time constructing an imaginary, utopian (literally utopian) society that only exists and will only ever exist in his head. You're the most autistic person I know, famalam>>2057764
That's rich coming from a guy wanking over an "edgy" architectural style he doesn't even understand, who spends his free time constructing an imaginary, utopian (literally utopian) society that only exists and will only ever exist in his head, who autistically spams his shit opinions again and again while never bothering to engage with anything other than his own special snowflake ideology. You're the most autistic person I know, famalam
According to your definition, pic related wouldn't be Brutalism, while the fucking pyramids would. That's not me being autistic, that's you being too stupid to even read a single article on the thing you keep shoehorning into every thread. Maybe you should stop wanking over modernist architecture and start reading a book

Friend, you are getting so worked up over the fact that I happen to appreciate something for different reason to you, that you are unable to format a legible post.

I would advise that you calm yourself down, have a break from the internet and take any medication you have been prescribed.
I'm quite worried about both yourself and any game-stop employees that you may encounter.

liar

I got 85%.

Fucking island nations are always the death of me.

I got 150 almost entirely off remembering this song. The rest were mostly the obvious ones. I can never remember the fucking islands or the countries formed when bigger unions split.

I am a little drunk and would not recommend attempting this when you are drunk. I couldn't even remember the place in Latin America with legal weed.
fug

The real tragedy of this image is all the cars and ugly little things surrounding the building.

Gay test, I'm not spending 15 minutes typing that shit down while staring at a world map, show me some flags, one by one, interactively, and I might.

Nigger I'm hammered and got more in two minutes. I even typed in Tannu Tuva in that space of time.

This show had a lot of anti USSR propaganda in it
youtube.com/watch?v=lHZQXNe2HpQ

I wasn't typing, it was looking at the website disappointed.

I'm just trying to make myself feel better about my 52%.

It was WB. What the fuck did you expect?

Those islands are a bitch, and I shamefully forgot a ton of African names. Guess it's been too long since I played Victoria II.

Those are Benin and Ghana.

Fuck, I must be drunk. I don't remember putting those names in on my test.

What are you, retarded? That looks like living under the bleachers at Dodger Stadium.

What is this zionist nonsense?

What do you expect leftcucks? Niggers build houses from mud and water.

Americans are the niggers of the whites so it's little surprise you can't handle extreme weather either.

nuclear energy