Debord's Board Game

I'm sure most of you by now know that later in his life, Debord worked on a board game that was supposed to teach workers in pubs how to wage war against their enemies. He was very proud of his work:

There used to be a computer game of it, but it has been "coming back soon" for years. I emailed the authors, and they said that they will try to relaunch it this summer but it did not happen. However, they seemed pretty happy that I asked about it and I'm sure if more of us would ask they could spend more energy on it. So if you want to play with it, I suggest writing them an email and asking them when it will come back and whether they would release the source code of the client and the server. Their email address is listed on the about page:
r-s-g.org/kriegspiel/about.php

Meanwhile, you can download the old version using the wayback machine: web.archive.org/web/20140701235404/http://r-s-g.org/kriegspiel/index.php Since there's no server running, you can only play against yourself at the moment, or a

If you want to play with a physical copy, Class Wargames has the board, pieces and a translated rulebook:
classwargames.net/?p=1636
They also have a book called Class Wargames, which is about the Debord's game, wargames in general, and the connection between wargames and the left. Their style is a bit annoying and politically they are trash, but it's still a very interesting book:
minorcompositions.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/classwargames-web.pdf
They also made a short film about it:
vimeo.com/17116481

Other urls found in this thread:

classwargames.net/?page_id=831
classwargames.net/?page_id=833
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27323/le-jeu-de-la-guerre
secardartiste.wordpress.com/2016/02/22/kriegspiel-ou-le-jeu-de-la-guerre/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I actually had no idea. This is really, really cool

But we always played it at the Holla Forums summer camps

Warhammer is valid revolutionary theory.
Nazbol gang was right again.

bump

this is even bigger than a go board

Why didn't you title the thread De-Board Game?

I may buy some cheap chess pieces or something and make my own set to play it with. I wouldn't particularly like playing with cardboard cutouts though. I know imageboards are full of nerds into tabletop stuff so I'm wondering if there's any board equivalent available? Has anyone looked over the rulebook and knows what pieces compose a game?

lel

Here's the board:
classwargames.net/?page_id=831
The darker fields are the mountain ranges, the things with the arrows are the forts and the three-dotted rectangles are the arsenals.
There are 18 fields with mountains and 6 forts overall.

Pieces:
classwargames.net/?page_id=833
Both army has
9 infanty
4 cavalry
1 foot artillery
1 mounted artillery
1 foot communications unit
1 mounted communications unit
2 arsenals

It's not Warhammer… It's an abstract wargame based on Clausewitz’s theory of war with an emphasis on communication lines.

Could we use the VASSAL engine for a version of this that could be played in multiplayer? I don't have much experience with VASSAL myself, but if it can do Advanced Squad Leader a modified version of Kriegspiel should be no problem.

If some icons/graphics aren't readily available I'll contribute some.

I thought about it but can VASSAL enforce the rules?

No idea honestly. My experience pretty much consists of trying it out to mock up a conflict resolution system for a thing I was doing ages ago, thinking "well this is actually kinda hard" and giving up.

There are Kriegspiel modules out already though, so I dunno.

I did a quick look myself and it seems to be another game by a similar name made in 1970 by Avalon Hill.

Shit, you're right.

bump

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27323/le-jeu-de-la-guerre
Fuck. Can someone check if the Italian version is different? Or if there's any French comrades around, this post seems to have the original rules: secardartiste.wordpress.com/2016/02/22/kriegspiel-ou-le-jeu-de-la-guerre/ Can you check (maybe translate) it?

bump

bump