E-Readers

Good evening, fellow theorists.
I've been trying to get into more theory and general philosophy, both for University and out of personal interest.
I assume you know the plight of people with no self control yourself, you can read for hours if it's chatrooms or forums but you get tired quickly when it's a pfd or other ebook format.
I was thinking that I might be able to play a trick on my brain by using an e-reader instead of a laptop, thus shutting out most distractions this machine brings with it.

My main question here is, which brand?

I used to own a e-reader some years ago. I didn't use it much at the time and after lying on a shelf for a few months, the screen broke. Nobody threw it on the ground or put something heavy on it, the screen was just so fragile that it broke without any outside influence.
While reading through the low rated reviews on a Tolino brand reader that was recommended to me, I discovered multiple similar stories where the devices broke either after just slight impacts or just by themselves.
Since I want to carry the thing around with me, I'm looking for something that can take a beating. It should also be able to display pdfs, since I'm sure as hell not paying for anything I read.

Can you guys recommend me one? I'd ask Holla Forums but they'd probably just be bullies and tell me to install Archlinux, like usual.

Other urls found in this thread:

kobo.com/
briss.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I got a kobo glo, it has backlight which is optional, can run pdf, epub, html, pictures, comic formats and more. It doesnt have anti-piracy protection of any kind. It can be used to highlight and take notes, but its a bit wonky. Nice format, you can resize easily too. Battery lasts for days if you dont use the backlight.

Not sure if you can find the kobo glo, but if the other kobos are anything like it, I highly recommend it. The company has a store which you can connect to with wifi but i never use it because I only use books i get for free.
kobo.com/

On a sidenote I highly recommend using briss to trim PDF's easily, this makes reading them on ereaders so much better.
briss.sourceforge.net/

I have a really old Sony e-reader which still works great, only downside being the plastic has colored out a bit on the backside and (going off my intuition here only) it seems the battery life got sightly worse (still lasts for weeks on end with constant use on a full charge). Does PDFs and EPUBs. Cost me 80 euros new back then.

Unfortunately looking online it seems Sony stopped making them so looking a bit through the internet it seems Kobo is the brand to go now. Nook and Kindle both hamper your ability to use pirated shit through DRM and in the case of Kindle you can only use MOBI files, which are its proprietary format. Anyways, the Kobo Touch 2.0 looks good, and not too expensive.

Also electronics isnt made to be used like books to support your table, OP. Be a bit more carefull with it.

Like I said, the thing was just sitting on a shelf. I didn't touch it and neither did anyone else.
I know you shouldn't throw tech stuff on the ground, hell, my smartphone isn't cracked.

The thing that happened to me and apparently quite a few others was that the device simply broke by itself.
The knee-jerk response here is to say that stuff doesn't break by itself but you should be familiar with the concept of planned obsolescence and inbuilt faultlines. Even the story in the other cases was similar, where leaving the device alone for some time broke it. Hell if I know how it does it, all I know is that it did.

Thank you

remember to buy CHINESE product to harm amercian imperialist economy

Important stuffs

Just buy the physical copies of the books you want to read.
Not only is it much easer to commit to reading a physical book, but alot of particularly interesting and helpful books lack a digital version.

Also, you should install Archlinux.
Or at the very least Manjaro.

Oh fuck off

I have a Hanlin v5 and I really like it!

Where do you buy that?

Unsure if they can be trusted but looking through the reviews on the Kobo Glo, there are even more one star reviews reporting similar issues to the Tolino readers I looked at, namely terrible customer service and easily broken displays.

For non-πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§anglosπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§: buy one with dictionary preinstalled.

Sounds like a good idea, do you have a recommendation for something like that?

I've had the experience with some PDFs that they pretend like you can copy the text but when you actually try to do that, you get complete gibberish, like some text recognition software didn't know what to do.
Can readers with preinstalled dictionaries do this better or do you just type in the word somehow?

My phone has a blue light filter so I use that to read on. I use a FTP server to host my books that I want to download to it and then just read wherever I am since I always have my phone with me.

Hmm
I've read stuff on my phone before but it's kind of tiring.
Question for those that do own e-readers, is the experience significantly better than just reading from a phone screen?

Anyway, a phone also has all the distractions I was trying to avoid, like music and the net, so I don't think it's a good option.

Not everybody is a rich pork like you, howard.

What do you need a dictionairy for? Just look up the rare weird word on your phone.

I'm happy with a Kobo Aura.

I have the kindle paper white, it's a lot easier on the eyes than a phone, at least with the back light turned low, and you can read it in the sun no problem.
You can read pdf's on it, but it can be a bit shit on the small screen.
Get calibre (a gratis open source program) to help you transfer books to and from your device. It can also convert pdf's to better formats, but that only works as intended some of the time.
I pirate all my books and it's fine, but I am sort of worried that amazon will one day start bricking devices or impose stricter terms.

I'm using this babby. Has everything you need.

I got a Kindle Paperwhite last Christmas and have only had to charge it twice, the battery lasts for months, It is a bit locked down but I just chuck PDFs on it and haven't bothered going online with it, happy with it so far.

It's not. I can see the point for +800 pages long books, but even though I don't read a lot, I still read more since I have bought an e-reader (Kobo Aura H2O), and will probably make up for the costs at the end of the year.
"no"

Debian Testing > Archlinux

Yep. But I'm using old pocketbook 912.