I know I'm late to the party but I just watched this and thought it was amazing

I know I'm late to the party but I just watched this and thought it was amazing.

What did Holla Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ib5F2hZOXc0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone
youtube.com/watch?v=yS_c2qqA-6Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gaddafi did nothing wrong

Captures very well what Bookchin called our period of "cultural twilight", and the incoherent nature of post-moderinity.
youtube.com/watch?v=ib5F2hZOXc0

I honestly felt sorry for him. I didn't know the Gaddafi story.

spot on

It's sad that this kind of stuff is broadcasted on the BBC and yet fails to create a response.
You can spell out the modus operandi of the most destructive forces and people will still bitch about shitty idpol, nobody cares.

"Exposes" don't work for shit, as the doc showed.

amazing film. hard not tp feel uneasy after watching jt

That's kind of the big issue about "spreading a message" in this day and age, isn't it? Signal, whether false or correct information, used to be a rare commodity. Now it's so abundant as to be worthless, even more so as the sheer abundance makes it impossible to properly separate not just the true from the false, but the new from the old, the useful to the useless, and the emergencial from the superfluous. Capitalism has entrenched itself in the "end of history" by making sure no one can discuss an alternative.

I can only remember the Gaddafi parts, and Kissinger fucking up the middle east.
It was a bit messy, though really interesting.

Pretty much this. Ironically it is one of the things that the movie touches on but really doesn't give any answers to. I mean our current system will persist until people are put into a position to question it in mass and form a new vision of the future. Sadly the only vision that seems to form is a darker more authoritarian order that embodies our current framework, and actively works against destroying it.
But whatever, I guess I'm too deep into idpol.

This really is a Gordian knot tho. I don't expect anyone will provide an answer, we'll just have to wait until it collapses then roll with the punches. Sure, maybe we'll be able to look back and notice that someone in the official newspaper of the Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist–Leninist) saw it coming but we couldn't have known it at the time anyway.

Bitterlake is way better tbh

it was shit tbh. I liked Adam Curtis, but this documentary made me rethink my praise o f him. Totally glossed over US support to Al Qaeda and ISIS.

As with most of Curtis' work it focuses on the dangers of technocratic ideals and in particular captures exceedingly well the mode of government now dominant in the west (especially Britain) which is simply a managed decline and where politicians are just the maintenance technicians managing the end of history.

He can't just add a whole other dimension into his documentary, it was already around 3 hours long and documenting the support for Al Qaeda would add a few more hours to it

Too long.

Because the US didn't support al Qaeda and isis

this is what delusional Yankees believe

Poigant boildown of the root of the problem.

this. you can only expect so much from one doc.

nibba…

the thing is that instead he implied hezbollah, iran, and syria were responsible for the rise of al qaeda and isis. so not only was he glossing over reality, but he was actively spreading lies.

I don't recall him saying that.

It was good but I think it should have been divided in to two parts as it was a little rushed at the end.

He already covered that in Bitter Lake and The Power of Nightmares.

You need to go back

Nope, he only talks about the Taliban in those.

Can anyone imagine any solution to the echo chamber problem?

that's Bin Laden in the fist and third btw.

definitely top ten films of the decade so far, documentary or otherwise

Pretty sure the "Moral equivalent" quote was referring to the contras.

But yes, US did prop up the Mujahideen during the Afghan-Soviet war.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone

they're all mujaheddin and/or wahhabists

but he didn't say mujahedin or wahhabi
he said al qaeda and isis
words mean things

This is actually a pretty relevant distinction, since nobody really has direct links to ISIS (aside from some "usual suspect" gulf states like the Saudis, of course).

The supposed "backing" the US gave "to" ISIS was in fact to moderate factions of the FSA opposed to ISIS. But of course radical factions were difficult to distinguish, and (varying, depending on the accounts believed) quantities of this aid ended up in ISIS' hands due to secret alliances, open defections, or military defeats of its recipients by ISIS. This can of course be legitimately speculated at as a clandestine funneling mechanism intended by the CIA, such notions are just that, speculation, not even rumor of any provenance, let alone fact.

Another more oblique facet of the "CIA did ISIS" speculation is that merely by undermining Assad's regime, the CIA was intentionally creating the conditions for something like ISIS to come about. In some versions, to the extent of dismissing the entire Arab Spring as a CIA plot. This is also, though reasonable speculation, also unsupported and unprovable.

Needless to say, both angles on this are far more tendentious than the open and very solid connections between the CIA and the Mujahideen, through them to the (largely CIA-exaggerated imaginary beginnings of) Al-Qaeda.

jfc

The CIA has been directly funding and arming al-Nusra in Syria, a branch of al-Qaeda.

I've only watched an hour so far. Do they ever talk about Saudi Arabia or do they just blame everything on Syria?

Very much enjoyed it (and Curtis' work more generally) although I only watched it once because a confluence of factors meant it sent me on a depressive spiral that lasted 3/4 a year. (Or more accurately, "marked" the arrival.) For all I enjoy his filmmaking, I'm not risking that again.
I think he probably overstretched himself, although there's little risk in doing so confusing the narrative given the focus on the confusion narrative itself.

Still very much like the part with the disillusioned Russian woman who doesn't have dreams anymore.

1. al-Nusra aren't ISIS, and have in fact traded blows with ISIS, though defections are common, as the ideological distance between them is small.
2. al-Nusra have been designated as a terrorist organization by the US since their inception, and the CIA has not given them any support. Though other groups the CIA has supported have had defections or passed on support to them. Again, the intentionality of this is disputable, and wholly the subject of supposition.
3. al-Nusra's relationship with al-Qaeda has become somewhat rocky, and they may not be affiliated with them anymore.
4. Even other countries in the region, such as the Qataris and Saudis, have not formally given support to al-Nusra. As for illicit support, rumors here are very strong, but (most of these being US allies) any direct links to US intent in these nations' covert policies are unsubstantiated.

youtube.com/watch?v=yS_c2qqA-6Y
The comments on this are a gold mine

Bush admin def created ISIS all their commanders were all Baath party members banned from the Iraqi military.

I see Holla Forums and Holla Forums agree on some things, at least.