Daily News Thread 9/1

Mexico, Canada to stay in NAFTA even if U.S. leaves: minister

Mexico and Canada would remain in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) even if the Trump administration abandoned the accord, Mexican Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo said on Thursday.
reuters.com/article/us-trade-nafta-mexico-guajardo/mexico-canada-to-stay-in-nafta-even-if-u-s-leaves-minister-idUSKCN1BC3D3

Kenya presidential election cancelled by Supreme Court

Kenya's Supreme Court has annulled the result of last month's presidential election, citing irregularities, and ordered a new one within 60 days.
bbc.com/news/world-africa-41123329

Syrian rebel defector says his US-trained unit sold arms to ISIS

Not only were the US-backed ‘moderate’ militants in southern Syria never meant to fight ISIS, but their commanders actually traded US-made weapons and ammunition to terrorists, a rebel defector claimed in an interview with Rossiya-24.
rt.com/news/401672-syria-rebel-isis-us-weapons/

US-led forces confirm ‘unintentional killing’ of 61 more civilians in Iraq, Syria

The US-led coalition fighting Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) has confirmed another 61 “unintentional civilian deaths” caused by its strikes in Iraq and Syria, raising the number of civilians it has acknowledged killing since 2014 to at least 685.
rt.com/news/401733-us-killing-civilians-syria-iraq/

Lavrov says Russia will 'respond harshly' to 'damaging' sanctions

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said his country will "respond harshly to things that will damage us" after the US ordered fresh sanctions.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41126155

Argentina Rallies Call for Return of Santiago Maldonado, One Month He Disappeared

According to witnesses, the 28-year-old activist was taken away by police during a protest on Aug. 1 and has not been seen since.
telesurtv.net/english/news/Argentina-Rallies-Call-for-Return-of-Santiago-Maldonado-One-Month-He-Disappeared-20170901-0005.html

North Korea tourism: US travel ban takes effect

A US ban on its citizens travelling to North Korea has come into effect, at a time of heightened tensions over North Korean missile launches.
bbc.com/news/world-asia-41120738

Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke resigns

David A. Clarke Jr has resigned his post as sheriff of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, according to the county clerk. Clarke has been a vocal supporter of President Donald Trump and has been rumored as a nominee for secretary of the US Department of Homeland Security.
rt.com/usa/401642-sheriff-david-clarke-resigns-milwaukee/

US Police officer who claimed 'we only shoot black people' to be fired

A police officer from Georgia who was captured on film telling a woman that "we only kill black people" is set to be fired, according to his police chief.
ibtimes.co.uk/us-police-officer-who-claimed-we-only-shoot-black-people-be-fired-1637652

Utah nurse arrested for not letting policeman draw blood from unconscious car crash victim

A nurse at the University Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah has accused a police detective of assaulting and illegally arresting her after she followed a hospital policy that does not allow authorities to draw blood from unconscious patients.
ibtimes.co.uk/video-utah-nurse-arrested-not-letting-policeman-draw-blood-unconscious-car-crash-victim-1637575

Tory Cambridge Uni student who burnt £20 in front of homeless man will not be expelled

A Cambridge University student who caused outrage after he was filmed burning a £20 note in front of a homeless man will not be expelled after writing a letter of apology.
ibtimes.co.uk/tory-cambridge-uni-student-who-burnt-20-front-homeless-man-will-not-be-expelled-1637592

Woman who fought to cut work hours due to mental health problems is awarded £12,000

A woman has been awarded almost £12,000 after asking her employer to cut her working hours because of strains on her mental health.
ibtimes.co.uk/woman-who-fought-cut-work-hours-due-mental-health-problems-awarded-12000-1637595

Other urls found in this thread:

theintercept.com/2017/09/01/reality-winner-miranda-rights-trial-confession-nsa-leaker/
rt.com/op-edge/401765-civilians-killed-coalition-syria/
spiegel.de/international/germany/germans-ahead-of-the-vote-i-ve-never-seen-so-much-hate-a-1165684.html
counterpunch.org/2017/09/01/hurricane-harvey-and-the-dialectics-of-nature/
theintercept.com/2017/08/31/how-i-got-fired-from-a-d-c-think-tank-for-fighting-against-the-power-of-google/
thedailybeast.com/exclusive-mueller-enlists-the-irs-for-his-trump-russia-investigation
independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/hurricane-harvey-antifa-texas-flooding-antifacist-storm-relief-efforts-a7921846.html
rt.com/news/401770-searches-russian-consulate-sf/
cbc.ca/news/world/russia-response-us-consulate-san-francisco-sanctions-1.4272379
csindy.com/coloradosprings/jaywalking-case-exposes-law-enforcement-embedded-in-far-left-group/Content?oid=6579870
washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/american-diplomats-suffered-traumatic-brain-injuries-in-mystery-attack-in-cuba-union-says/2017/09/01/9e02d280-8f2f-11e7-91d5-ab4e4bb76a3a_story.html
counterpunch.org/2017/09/01/israel-seeks-jewish-non-jews-in-numbers-battle-with-palestnians/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OP/ED

REALITY WINNER WAS NOT TOLD SHE HAD THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT

AT A COURT HEARING on Wednesday, a federal judge agreed to delay accused leaker Reality Winner’s trial until March. The delay will allow Winner’s lawyers and expert witnesses to acquire the required security clearances needed to access classified information the government may use against her in court.
theintercept.com/2017/09/01/reality-winner-miranda-rights-trial-confession-nsa-leaker/

‘400,000 deaths in Syria civil war directly attributed to US & allies’

African and Asian leaders are denied by the West to have any military means against an insurgency in their countries, while the US and its allies have absolute impunity when they want to take on a population anywhere in the world, says political analyst Dan Glazebrook.
rt.com/op-edge/401765-civilians-killed-coalition-syria/

Germans on the Eve of the Election: 'I've Never Seen So Much Hate'

Psychologist Stephan Grünewald has spent much of his career studying Germans. In a new study, he looked at current political attidudes and discovered raw emotions ahead of the upcoming election.
spiegel.de/international/germany/germans-ahead-of-the-vote-i-ve-never-seen-so-much-hate-a-1165684.html

Hurricane Harvey and the Dialectics of Nature

counterpunch.org/2017/09/01/hurricane-harvey-and-the-dialectics-of-nature/

How I Got Fired From a D.C. Think Tank for Fighting Against the Power of Google
theintercept.com/2017/08/31/how-i-got-fired-from-a-d-c-think-tank-for-fighting-against-the-power-of-google/
The whole staff of an anti-monopoly think-tank got fired by their parent organization, funded mainly by Google, for praising the anti-monopoly actions against Google by the EU.

You missed a big one today.

Exclusive: Mueller Enlists the IRS for His Trump-Russia Investigation

thedailybeast.com/exclusive-mueller-enlists-the-irs-for-his-trump-russia-investigation

What does this mean?

Here we go.

thank you news user ♥

He wrote a fukcing letter of apology? How the fuck did he mail it to then homeless guy?

oh. I see he apologised to the uni. Didnt apologise to the fucking homeless guy at all

WHY IS HER NAME SO STUPID HOLY SHIT

Her name is pretty dope.

He probably lives on or near the campus and sticks to a certain area

Oh nevermind

Hurricane Harvey: Antifa are on the ground in Texas helping flooding relief efforts

Politics put aside to help thousands displaced by worst US storm in 10-years
independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/hurricane-harvey-antifa-texas-flooding-antifacist-storm-relief-efforts-a7921846.html

but the MSM told me that antifa are as bad as nazis!!!!

Good, this is the kind of stuff Antifa needs to do more of

Here we fuggin go

I didn't know Hurricane Harvey was a fascist.

Harvey is an ecofascist

US security services to search Russian consulate in San Francisco on Saturday – Moscow

Russia's foreign ministry has said US security services intend to conduct searches in the building of the Russian consulate in San Francisco on September 2.
rt.com/news/401770-searches-russian-consulate-sf/

Smoke seen pouring from Russian consulate in San Francisco

Acrid, black smoke has been seen pouring from a chimney at the Russian consulate in San Francisco a day after the Trump administration ordered its closure amid escalating tensions between the United States and Russia.
cbc.ca/news/world/russia-response-us-consulate-san-francisco-sanctions-1.4272379

I thinking you're obsessing a bit too much over definitions if you think helping disaster victims is anything but a good thing. Maybe that doesn't align with Antifa's main purpose but I don't really see how engaging in a wider variety of activism, especially when it involves proactively helping the community, is a bad thing. It can only make fighting fascism easier.

How do you "see" a smell?

Jaywalking case exposes law enforcement embedded in far-left group
csindy.com/coloradosprings/jaywalking-case-exposes-law-enforcement-embedded-in-far-left-group/Content?oid=6579870

By the way the "far-left group" in question is a book club.

Her name sounds made up, did her parents want to play a joke on her? Or are they such mindless consumers they thought naming their daughter a reference to a TV fad was appropriate.

Fuck me, the police are seriously trying to destroy Antifa. I pray Antifa can take the heat, they are the only thing standimg between us and the rise of fascism.

bet Hoochie, Afroplasm, Space-Howard, and BO all work in the same fbi division

I don't know about them but that Stalin moustache poster probably is.

State Department reports new instance of American diplomats harmed in Cuba

washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/american-diplomats-suffered-traumatic-brain-injuries-in-mystery-attack-in-cuba-union-says/2017/09/01/9e02d280-8f2f-11e7-91d5-ab4e4bb76a3a_story.html

In-depth commentary:

Dr. Massingil
12:59 AM PDT
Obviously, this is expected. Cuba hates any strong American government and takes advantage of any weak and ignorant government like the sad utopian Obama. Anyone who doesn't get this is a simpleton who knows nothing of geopolitical posturing. Obama was clearly a tool of the Castro terrorist regime to get the highly successful sanctions removed. Obama was played like the fool he is.

No it's not

Only when I don't get my soros paycheck

Israel Seeks ‘Jewish’ Non-Jews in Numbers Battle with Palestnians

counterpunch.org/2017/09/01/israel-seeks-jewish-non-jews-in-numbers-battle-with-palestnians/

Recent trends show that the exodus of Israelis to the US is twice as large as the arrival of American Jews to Israel. With 150 Israeli start-ups reported in Silicon Valley alone, that tendency is not about to end.

With a pressing shortage of Jews to defeat the Palestinians demographically, the Netanyahu government is considering a desperate solution. The leaked report suggests opening the doors to a new category of “Jewish” non-Jews. According to Haaretz, potentially millions of people worldwide could qualify. The new status would apply to “crypto-Jews”, whose ancestors converted from Judaism; “emerging Jewish” communities that have adopted Jewish practices; and those claiming to be descended from Jewish “lost tribes”.

Though they will initially be offered only extended stays in Israel, the implication is that this will serve as a prelude to widening their entitlement to eventually include citizenship. The advantage for Israel is that most of these “Jewish” non-Jews currently live in remote, poor or war-torn parts of the world, and stand to gain from a new life in Israel – or the occupied territories.