MAJOR CHEMICAL PLANT IN HOUSTON LIKELY TO EXPLODE

Residents warned to evacuate immediately

abcnews.go.com/US/risk-chemical-plant-explosion-houston-prompts-evacuation-harvey/story?id=49521170

texastribune.org/2017/08/30/crosby-chemical-plant-could-explode-due-harvey-flooding/

nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-harvey/harvey-danger-major-chemical-plant-near-houston-likely-explode-facility-n797581

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/money/2017/08/29/hurricane-harvey-houston-flood-insurance-damages-claims/611910001/
bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2017/08/30/house-republicans-spending-bill-includes-fema-cuts-fund-trump-border-wall/VSf07WfdiwyhOFOoOKZ7pL/story.html
youtube.com/watch?v=oipksRhISfM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiokol-Woodbine_explosion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flixborough_disaster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seveso_disaster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandoz_chemical_spill
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZF_(factory)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kaohsiung_gas_explosions
rt.com/usa/401541-arkema-chemical-plant-explosion/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_Insurance_Rate_Map
finanznachrichten.de/nachrichten-2017-08/41604423-basf-faehrt-produktion-in-texas-wegen-harvey-zurueck-015.htm
theweek.com/speedreads/722229/houstons-damaged-arkema-chemical-plant-recently-lobbied-against-stronger-chemical-plant-safety-rules
rt.com/usa/401783-arkema-chemical-plant-explosion-fire-crosby/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HEY PORKY WHATCHA DOIN

fuck, was hoping it was just infowhores but I guess not

RIP Houston

They produce, according to wiki:

Any chemistry fags can tell us how dangerous are these?

oh fuck I hope someone gets it on video

I dunno which of these the Huston plant produces.

just fucking tell us what they actually produce, ffs

automotive fuel lines

Combines unstably together with oxygen and hydrogen and carbon in the same molecule, organic peroxides ignite easily and burn rapidly and intensely.

I'm guessing it's these two you need to be worried about

Holla Forums has always been super pro-Texas, and it's really turned me against the state. So I'm basically cheering for Mother Nature to btfo Texas hard.

It's Houston, more Liberal than New York

lol

don't do this, you're better than this.

Red state infrastructure.

Anything on toxicity? What about the smoke, etc?

Forget homelessness, what about the cancer rates, health decline, and risk of being set on fire by an uncontrollable chemical blaze

Organic Peroxide in particular is the worrisome one. There's several ways it can be a powerful explosive.

Yeah, with the whole plant flooding and the temperature not being maintained, that's not going to happen.

It's going to explode.

How big a blast?

About 80% of Hurricane Harvey victims do not have flood insurance, face big bills
usatoday.com/story/money/2017/08/29/hurricane-harvey-houston-flood-insurance-damages-claims/611910001/

Chemical

I have no idea what amount of the plant produces it, but if its on an industrial level, quite the hefty explosion.

pretty fucking dumb

I hope you kys and take the eurocoms with you.

Not good

Is it really?

that poster is a Holla Forumsack

>

Who’d be stupid enough to put a chemical plant in an area where it could get flooded. Chemical plants in America should be at places like Denver. Or at least in areas of an altitude greater then 400 feet.

I jumped the gun, read about NK before this and gottem mixed up as I was typing.

Given the nature of Holla Forums, it's plausible

Why would the aut-right want to stop from doing something that would make us look like the bloodthirsty boogeymen the aut-right make us out to be tho?

I was saying in general.

How the fuck did shit this bad?

Congrats America, you're managing to out-Katrina youselves!

Proof that leftists really are fucking cowards.

It's worse than just that

On top of unstable Peroxide, it's also fucking full of sulfuric acid and butyl alcohol, mercury, hydrochloric acid, it's filled with so much flammable corrosive shit it might as well be a giant fucking bomb.

Jesus Christ

but we need that money to build the wall, sweetie.
bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2017/08/30/house-republicans-spending-bill-includes-fema-cuts-fund-trump-border-wall/VSf07WfdiwyhOFOoOKZ7pL/story.html

I'm sure there's plenty of illegal immigrants who want to cross the border to a Texas melting in sulfuric acid and fire

solution: build a wall to keep the explosion from immigrating into the US

Doesn't Peroxide catch on fire when it comes into contact with the air?

If it's unstable. It depends. Right now, the machinery keeping it temperate and stable is offline. Meaning

boom

FEMA will be well funded now that Our President has shut down their camps.

yes clearly he represents the will of the lefties present, so you'd better screencap it and show it around Holla Forums and clutch your pearls about it like you usually do.

To be honest it would be the same threat if workers controlled it. Mother nature is a bitch.

What do?

Benzoyl peroxide (BPO) is a medication and industrial chemical.[1] As a medication it is used to treat mild to moderate acne. For more severe cases it may be used together with other treatments.[2] Some versions come mixed with antibiotics such as clindamycin.[3] Other uses include bleaching flour, hair bleaching, teeth whitening, and textile bleaching.[4][5][6] It is also used in the plastic industry.[1]
Common side effects are skin irritation, dryness, or peeling.[2][7] Use in pregnancy is of unclear safety.[8] Benzoyl peroxide is in the peroxide family of chemicals.[5] In acne it works by killing bacteria.[4]
Benzoyl peroxide was first made in 1905 and came into medical use in the 1930s.[4] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system.[9] Benzoyl peroxide is available as a generic medication and over the counter.[7] In the United Kingdom 150 ml of a 10% solution costs the NHS about £4.[3] In the United States a month of treatment costs less than 25 USD.[7]

AT LEAST YOU WILL DIE WITH BLEMISH FREE SKIN

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH THIS IS HILARIOUS

RIGHT WINGERS EPIC BTFO

people are drowning and could possibly die in a chemical explosion and your celebrating because maybe some of them voted republican

No i'm cheering because i'm a misanthropic communist and i think this may shock some people into seeing how self serving the federal government actually is

It won't, our citizens are pummeled with pro-capitalist propaganda on a daily basis.

This could be very, very nasty. IIRC thiols are sulphur based compounds that smell terrible. Thiols are what makes the water treatment works smells unpleasant and whatnot. So you got a chemical cloud that will make you vomit your anus out if they get out. Fluorine is an extremely reactive gas, basically a chemical weapon. Dissolve the stuff in water and you get Hydrofluoric Acid, which eats through flesh like nothing you've ever seen. If there's any chance that stuff can escape the plant in elemental form, it's little surprise they're telling people to run like fuck while they still can.

have you ever met an american before

Hoooo boy that's gonna be fucking fun.

I fear this is gonna end up like Grenfell, only worse due to widespread burger classcuckery.

youtube.com/watch?v=oipksRhISfM

It is several orders more toxic than the other acids though.

Join freedom

Not sure using a 1:3 dilution is the most accurate test of the claims, tbh. Anyway, just digging around to see if there's any phosphorus on site.

Not a chemfag but the safety sheet on that Luperox stuff says that it's untested what happens if you inhale it but expected to be toxic based on its structure, its also never been tested for carcinogenic effects.

"No way to prevent it" According to the CEO

Burgers.

Shit, I was expecting the hurricane to cause problems and accelerate economic collapse, but this is a whole different thing.

What are the chances that shit will actually break down by October?

Texans
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

Though seriously I think this is because of shipping reasons, they get precursors packed in on tankers and then ship their product out globally, without needing any expensive overland shipping.

Chemical plants going up is nothing new. This'll be the third big one in Texas alone.

I don't know why I find this hilarious but I keep thinking about what it's like being "that dude".

It sounds like a cliche action movie opening.

They are talking about a possible dam breach. Thousands are stuck at home, if dam goes out they drown.

It all comes tumbling down tumbling down tumbling doooown

Any predictions on how this'll turn out in the long run (aside from the suffering and deaths of innocents)? This shit is getting gnarlier by the day.

It'll hasten the economic downturn that's starting. There may be some resistance coming from the area depending on how it's all handled going forward.

YES YES COMRADE HARVEY FLOOD TEXAS UNTIL IT BECOMES A PART OF THE GULF OF MEXICO. NO SURVIVORS

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I only hope the dialectic catches up to some proles after all of this.

Go back to shitposting on pol

K Holla Forums

what if texas has a state of emergency declared and #TheResistance took over and made gay ppl legal again?!

Congress did a good for once?

It's starting folks, 2 explosions reported.

Any livestreams?

I feel very sorry for the people affected by this, and I hope that others will come out to help, and show solidarity.

But still:

Aw, can't find any footage. How off the ball do news teams have to be not to have it being watched by a drone?

Texans will still claim regulations are bad even after their neighbors start sloughing off skin from the HF acid that leaks into the flood waters. And supposedly another fucking dam is going to bust soon as well…

well it is like 4 am

They may be trying to avoid a panic. They were avoiding notifying people about the hurricane for that reason.

Yeah, they probably won't do shit until their cattle start dying on a mass-scale and they can't eat MUH TEXAN BEEF anymore.
And even then it'll probably just be people randomly shooting at water with their AR's.

#justreactionarythings

Just the other day I was hoping burgers would get a lil climate change related destruction, because so far it has only really impacted poor countries.

Chemfag here. To sum it up, There are enoght chemicals there, and the right conditions to start a very fast Redox reaction while multiple toxic and/or poisonous substances are stored within the Pland or could be formed during the reaction. This thing could behave like a GIANT BOMB that spreads various DeADLY AND POISONOUS SUBSTANCES OVER A RELATIVELY BID AREA.
This is basicly the worst case szenario.

Just a normal ancapistan (Texas) business decision.

Yeah, I'm a chemfag too.
This is looking like it's going to be like the last massive explosion in texas, only now with the effects of chemical warfare thrown for miles around.

So what sorts of effects should we expect with this shit? Deaths, I would assume, but also chemical burns or something? People getting sick from the water being poisoned?

The water will dampen the explosion, and dilute the chemical spill. Checkmate atheists.

Sulfuric acid and hydrochloric acid, while kinda nasty, aren't really going to be that bad in the grand scheme of things.

The mercury is a dangerous one because it'll stay in the ground for a long time, get pulled into water reservoirs with the rain, and settle there. There's some really, really nasty organic-mercury compounds that can kill at very low concentrations (but would have to be formed in the explosion or be there before hand, unlikely)

Refrigerants are not at all fun to breathe in, being strongly toxic and having acute and chronic effects, as well as being highly carcinogenic.

The peroxides are going to be a major source of explosive danger. Peroxide is a very good oxidant, and it being up against organic materials while being heated up (say in a fire) makes it very likely to react, making any fire or explosion worse.

Thiochemicals tend towards being moderately toxic, fluorochemicals are often dangerously so.

Loners > all other factions

I have a hunch.

Hopefully the explosion will launch red chemicals all over the Earth's atmosphere and gives us a red october.

That CEO

Reminder of how much chemical plant incidents can be dangerous :
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiokol-Woodbine_explosion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flixborough_disaster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seveso_disaster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandoz_chemical_spill
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZF_(factory)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kaohsiung_gas_explosions

source? is it done yet?

On my phone, but AP reported it early this morning, and the CEO confirmed that 8 more canisters could explode.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease
Wew

>“The fire will happen. It will resemble a gasoline fire. It will be explosive and intense in nature… as the temperature rises, the natural state of these materials will decompose. A white smoke will result, and that will catch fire. So the fire is imminent. The question is when,” spokesperson Janet Smith said.
rt.com/usa/401541-arkema-chemical-plant-explosion/

Aw man, these stories always make me sick & then my blood boil.

Tetraethyllead is probably the biggest and immeasurable instance of industrial pollution. I went to check it was made by General Motors because I was going to make a joke but then I found it pretty interesting in that the history part of the article is kicked right to the bottom of the page.

Do these people know what truckers are.

This seriously isn't rocket science. Just walk over to your local county Surveyer's Office, and ask for a map of flood plains, before you buy or claim a property:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_Insurance_Rate_Map

I remember some areas near my house weren't just 100-year floodplains, they were 50-year or 25-year, or 10-YEAR floodplains. Sure enough, about once or twice a decade, swathes of neighbors and even businesses would get swamped out, as though they didn't expect (or remember the last time, many of them having been here longer than me) what happened.

What is wrong with peoples' brains?

it's a systemic problem with capitalism. not individual responsibility.

This. Land prices, wages, no. of experts in the area, logistics, etc. In all fairness they claim that like three security measures failed for this to happen.

For capitalists sure, if reconstruction+lawsuits are less than profits from your negligence+bailouts, its "just a business expense". But there is absolutely no reason you as an individual should ever see a house (or entire city) perched on the lip of a volcano and think "that's the place for me!".

Poor people don't choose where they live most of the time.

I can only hope this turns into a US version of Fukashima or worst.

Simply putting them into Tupperware or something like that whould make things much safer, but no we´ve gotto avoid costs.But it actually seems to be a goody sign, that most vans still have functioning refrigeration.Unless they arent damaged by an explosion or the water, it could turn out safe.

Its likely that the Acids you mentioned just dissolve inside the Water and are thus less dangerous. but they could very well react with the organic peroxides, if they mix under fitting circumstances like wetness or hight temperatures, which could happen.
Also note that the both the refrigerants, the peroxides, the mecury , the various acids (chemical plants usually have more than one or two acids in their disposal, especially when thei are larger ones) can all form more Toxic chemicals when reacting mith each other. The decontamination could be long, complicated and unusually expensive.

Why.

What I'm worried about is the long term effects of the Mercury for the population. Enough concentrated mercury in an area can fuck with the body heavily, is there any chance that if this plant does blow, that the amount of mercury could be hazardous? As in, the long term.

bump

Only if
A:It doesnt spread that wide, "only" contaminating a small area. However this is umlikely, since it could easily reach the groundwater due to the flood, which whould also spread it. Its also likely that it whould spread into the air, via flames and explosions (imagine clouds coused by the fire or the explosion, that travel miles.)

This brings us to B: It spreads very widely but in a relatively low concentration that whould "only" have an impact for some years or, more likely decades.

Let´s just hope the national guard flyes it of with helicopters. I could also be wrong with my estimate, since I dont know how much mercury, or otherheavy metals are stored there. it could be kilos or tons, or whatever idiotic non-metric amount.If you hope, that there could be another chemical, which could react with the mercury and form some less damaging substance, I have to disappoint you: Almost everything that has heavy metal in its melecular formular is so poisunous that comparing them to each other is nitpicky. I hope I used all terms correctly, Im not a native speaker and currently to tired to look words up.
finanznachrichten.de/nachrichten-2017-08/41604423-basf-faehrt-produktion-in-texas-wegen-harvey-zurueck-015.htm
It seems that other chemical companies like the german chemical giant BASF are closing down their production, and evecuating dangerour substances from that area. Seems like some Porkies are worried about the bad PR of contaminating Texas.

bump

Houston's damaged Arkema chemical plant recently lobbied against stronger chemical plant safety rules

theweek.com/speedreads/722229/houstons-damaged-arkema-chemical-plant-recently-lobbied-against-stronger-chemical-plant-safety-rules

It's like an abusive relationship my god

Explosion at Arkema chemical plant in Crosby, Texas causes massive fire

rt.com/usa/401783-arkema-chemical-plant-explosion-fire-crosby/