Daily News Thread 8/30

Berkely Mayor Calls for Antifa to be Classified as a Crime Gang After Clashes at Weekend Protest

Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin has called for authorities to tackle left-wing violence by classifying members of antifa, the loosely organized group of “anti-fascists” who believe that violence is acceptable in countering right-wing extremism, as a gang. (THEY'RE SHOOK)
newsweek.com/berkeley-mayor-calls-antifa-be-classified-crime-gang-after-clashes-sunday-656286

Trump says 'talking not the answer' on North Korea, Mattis disagrees

President Donald Trump on Wednesday said “talking is not the answer” to the tense standoff with North Korea over its nuclear missile development, but his defense chief swiftly asserted that the United States still has diplomatic options.
reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-idUSKCN1B92WY

Venezuela: New assembly approves treason trials for opposition

Venezuela's new constituent assembly has unanimously voted to put opposition leaders on trial for treason.
bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-41091745

==Venezuela to Donate $5M to Harvey Victims in Texas

Venezuela has extended its solidarity to the victims of Harvey in Texas and Louisiana.
telesurtv.net/english/news/Venezuela-to-Donate-5M-to-Harvey-Victims-in-Texas-20170830-0015.html

China Urges THAAD's Removal, Opposes 'Chaos or War' in Korea

U.S.-South Korea war rehearsals are ongoing, with the U.S. testing its nuclear arsenal, and South Korea dropping bombs near the demilitarized zone.
telesurtv.net/english/news/China-Urges-THAADs-Removal-Opposes-Chaos-or-War-in-Korea-20170830-0007.html

US-led strikes in Syria block IS militants evacuated from Lebanon

US-led coalition aircraft have carried out strikes to halt a convoy evacuating Islamic State militants from the Lebanon-Syria border area towards Iraq.
bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41095619

Harvey Makes Second Landfall on Battered Gulf Coastline

On Tuesday morning, disaster analyst Chuck Watson pegged $42 billion as a reasonable estimate for the cost of destruction Tropical Storm Harvey would leave in its wake. By dawn Wednesday, he had raised that to much as $75 billion.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-30/-apocalyptic-flooding-has-harvey-s-damages-rising-by-the-hour

University of Tampa fires teacher whose tweet blamed Harvey on Texas GOP vote

A tweet suggesting that the devastation of Hurricane Harvey was "instant karma" for the red state of Texas has cost a University of Tampa professor his job — making him just the latest academic fired for off-duty speech.
tampabay.com/news/education/college/ut-condemns-teacher-whose-tweet-blames-harvey-on-texas-gop-vote/2335504

Best Buy Apologizes After a Houston Store Sold $42 Packs of Water During Hurricane Harvey

Best Buy has apologized after a viral photo taken at one of its stores in Houston appeared to show a case of water selling for $42 during Hurricane Harvey.
fortune.com/2017/08/30/best-buy-hurricane-harvey-bottled-water/

New York Times wins dismissal of Sarah Palin's defamation lawsuit

A lawsuit against the New York Times by former U.S. vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, who claimed the newspaper had defamed her in an editorial linking her to a 2011 mass shooting, was dismissed by a federal judge on Tuesday.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-media-palin-idUSKCN1B92IO

Other urls found in this thread:

usnews.com/opinion/articles/2017-08-30/bernie-sanders-take-on-big-pharma-and-lower-prescription-drug-prices
rt.com/op-edge/401433-media-twitter-fake-news/
vice.com/en_us/article/9kkm5p/erdogans-security-guards-were-just-indicted-for-dc-melee-vice-news
rt.com/op-edge/401446-militarizing-police-crimes-brutality/
strawpoll.me/13825688
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

OP/ED

Sick of Big Pharma's Greed by Bernie Sanders

The American people are sick and tired of getting ripped off by the pharmaceutical industry which, next to Wall Street, is one of the most powerful and greedy forces in our country.
usnews.com/opinion/articles/2017-08-30/bernie-sanders-take-on-big-pharma-and-lower-prescription-drug-prices

Making stuff up on Twitter is the new 'journalism' — and we deserve it

On Monday, The Guardian published a story which should have surprised no one: Information pushed aggressively on Twitter by anti-Trump conspiracy theorist duo Louise Mensch and Claude Taylor came from a hoaxer who duped Taylor in an email.
rt.com/op-edge/401433-media-twitter-fake-news/

Erdoğan’s Security Guards Were Just Indicted for DC Melee

Nineteen people—including 15 Turkish security officials—were indicted Tuesday on a variety of charges for their role in a violent clash outside the Turkish embassy in DC in May.
vice.com/en_us/article/9kkm5p/erdogans-security-guards-were-just-indicted-for-dc-melee-vice-news

‘Trump is wrong; militarized police forces will not make American streets safer’

Militarizing local police makes the community less trustful, thus making the job of law enforcement much more dangerous: it is not decreasing crime, but increasing it, says Michelle Gross, the president of Communities United Against Police Brutality.
rt.com/op-edge/401446-militarizing-police-crimes-brutality/

100% Pharma should just be nationalized

Just call it what it is: capitalism.

ANTIFA GANG ASSEMBLE

*collectivized/cooperatized

MUH COOPS

That would be vague and unhelpful.

Only sorry they got caught. Fuck Best Buy. Also you know what goes great with $42 cases of water? Settlers of Catan apparently.

That is so fucking disgusting, not as if the manager was getting the money, that had to be head office for such petty gain. If it was the manager on his own he should have been mauled.

dont they have enough water right now

filter that shit

EGGSPLAIN

The water around you is unsafe to drink and will probably make you really sick.

ΞAT THΞ ΞGGS

It’s salt water.

bump

Is it really justified? Or is it just a way to crush the political opposition with the american threat?
strawpoll.me/13825688

I support the proles. (and the communes)

I approve

They Pulled this shit in Australia too when we had a cyclone.

CIA goons hanged when?

suck my fresh nuts

imagine my shock

I admit, this is getting interesting.

It's quite the world where Russia's State-owned news network is the most honest big media outlet in the word.

The fire rises.

Will Holla Forums start cheering for the chavistas like they do with Assad once the civil war inevitably breaks out?

Honestly, good! I'd much rather side with the fascists, then these degenerates passed off as the "left."

/pol will probably vote for whoever is against the welfare state

so nobody

why is this so fucking funny.

that is an option so most likely

I don't even like antifa but NazBols are fascists, so you would be right at home. :)

Not unless he hires corporations to run the Venezuelan government in order to combat corporate influence in the state. :^)