Zizek's vidya

Has Zizek completely lost it?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/138749394
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He never had it

Wait, so Zizek makes a living giving speeches about this?

Augmented Reality is pure ideology though. It's literally "PUT ON THE GLASSES"

Now that it's Holla Forums related, does anyone want to battle me in Pokemon Moon?

lmfao this is amazing

zizek has never given a shit about pop culture deconstruction shit, its just how he funds himself

that was retarded

It's a pretty mediocore analogy. Not even useful for teaching normies/libs anything since they're not explicitly racist anyway.

How is it wrong to say that the ideological space previously occupied by religion, is now increasingly held by modern media? Slavoj is totally right on this point, every normally functioning human includes narrative as part of his interpretative structure of thought. Mythologies and systems of metaphysics don't appear in every human civilization because we are uneducated and need to read about materialism, they are phenomena which answer to a fundamental need to construct meaning without which we would go crazy.

This is also precisely why every smug modern atheist is short-sighted when he believes himself to be rid of a corruptive belief system that he can now replace with scientific reason. The "death of God" is a deeply traumatic event for Western philosophy and was understood as such by serious thinkers, Nietzsche being a strong example. It represents the death of a whole structure of meaning and requires a radical examination of the western tradition and every moral guideline inherited from it. The question of course then becomes, without a systematic Christian worldview, what takes its place as our unquestioned ideological narrative in contemporary society? How does it manifest in global capitalism and what are its emancipatory potentials. These are major themes of Žižek's work and most continental thinkers he interacts with. He just enjoys drawing funny analogies.

Uhh, my point is that they do?
The main difference between a discipline like anthropology and philosophers doing the kind of work Žižek does, is probably that he searches for patterns of mythical explanation in modern social structures, which are more nebulous to spot but obviously exist.

This deserves a bump.

Reminder that Zizek is NEVER wrong.

It sound nidicolous at first but it's a nice allegory

funny as fuck and sounds silly but it's actually a really good explanation of ideology.

Mein Pokémon

I am already catching Pokemon all the time. The name of this Pokemon is Ideology.

See cute girl at the bus playing pokemon-go, this is my chance to impress

He's really not subtle about the fact he intentionally ties to be provocative sometimes is he?

"pokemon is literally Hitler. *sniff*."

he doesn't say that retard

I don't know where user got that from. He only says that Adolf Hitler was the best at Pokémon Go. Clearly, a more dignified thesis.

I'm just confused as to what you're actually saying. We don't need something to replace God after his death and that's why traditional atheism - that replaces God with science, nature, etc. falls short. I thought that was the whole idea behind Zizek's atheist Christianity and there being no "big Other". Not that we have to replace one big Other with another one after it stops being useful.

part of zizek's whole project is finding the ideological component of vulgar pop culture. obviously it's funny that he's looking at pokemon go politically, but his point is that if critical theory can't examine something like this, it's worthless.

some drawfag please draw a picture of Hitler with an Ash hat trying to catch a jew with a pokeball.

FUGGEN DIS

BEHOLD. The greatest practitioner of pokemon go.

no somebody with actual photoshop skills should
just combine these two

You're right we must no platform Zizek for his vulgar disrespect of the Fuhrer

boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/138749394
NOW WE WAIT

this is probably one of the dumbest things Zizek has ever said.
I'm sure he's a smart guy, but what the fuck? Pokemon Go has absolutely nothing to do with ethnic scapegoatism, and they are absolutely not mutually exclusive in any way.

t. brainlet

t. pseud

No, he was saying that Hitler was very good at distracting people into abstract concepts to make people feel like their lives had meaning– a clear goal. His analogy is pretty funny and intentionally provokative imo, but at the same time useful in highlighting how these distractions are all invasive and not necessarily as grandiose as a Jewish plot to subvert our culture.

here we go

Reminder that he openly admits that most of what he writes is pure made-up bullshit. He is the Spectacle.

So in the end, what do we do with pure ideology since IIRC he says it is inescapable? Cast it aside or just deal with it like how one deals with advertising?

I think maybe you meant to reply to this guy:

Why does every comment have to be serious? Can't I just appreciate an absurd statement once in a while?

It's a metaphor used to explain ideology. He doesn't believe it was created with that intention.

Been gone a long time tbh. I mean lets face it he decries the liberal left but he is a Trot at best and that's being kind, hes basically a grouchy socdem

It's me or the hotpocket brigades are in overdrive since charlottesville?
Nowadays it seems like they will ban you is you hurt Holla Forums's feelings, no matter the board.

Yeah but to understand that you would have to know anything about Hegel/ Nietzsche/ have read anything by Zizek, and these libs haven't.

He's using pokemon go as a metaphor for the way that ideology overlays monsters onto reality. Ideology is not a pair of glasses that you put on and see the truth like in "They Live", but rather a pair that is put on you to hide the truth. Perhaps this isn't his best explanation, but he has gone over this at length in previous lectures.

Isn't the idea that there is a truth also idealism?

He makes some semblence of a point but I think he grasps too much to try and relate to pop culture, because its become his shtick…

The point hes trying to make is basially what is expressed in the Blak Mirror episode Men Against Fire, if youve seen that…

Worship of a self constructed by marketers, teeth whiteners and boob jobs

underrated post

That's were you're wrong because you have likely failed to understand what the idea of god is
God = security
It's very unlikely humanity is going to give up it's obsession with security given that it's tied to our survival instincts.

I think he's a genius

But its funny. I dont know why people dont want any humor at all in their dumb ass philosophy

I had fantasies of having a something like pokemon go when I was a child because I thought my life was boring and escape through video-games and television wasn't enough, it had to be closer to reality.
He's said all this stuff before though, he's just using new examples that make it sound worse.

Most people here seem to be fine with it. I just don't like how you can't point out how absurd the statement is without someone sperging out about how it's actually brilliant as a metaphor.

I think I just realized that Zizek is like the Jordan Peterson of the left. Both of them speak to the social mammal part of your brain that deals in mythology and metaphor. Peterson does it trying to sound profound but if you examine what he actually says it's humorously nonsensical. Zizek does it in a way that is meant to sound like humorous nonsense but that only works because he has a point and ideology can be found in humorous places. Peterson's approach works on naive kiddos looking for for a patriarch to make sense of the world for them. Zizek's approach works on lazy alienated kiddos looking for something mindless and entertaining. Peterson's effect is to uphold traditional systems. Zizek's effect is to draw people into analyzing their surroundings and seeing the degree to which ideology shapes everything.

One major difference is that Peterson is not a philosopher. He has a PhD in clinical psychology, whereas Zizek has a PhD in both Psychoanalysis and Philosophy.

shouldn't ideology be "having eyes" since you can't get out of it

If humanity will not or can not give up security, then capital will give up humanity.
- Nick Land, Meltdown
Capital might even force mankind to become post-theological in our lifetimes. It's already happening, and when people can't take the sheer alienation because they feel unsafe in every action due to the constant self-revolutionizing of capital, they'll be modified to willingly to work harder. I want out on this ride.

Friendshoned again, sniff.

i haven't visited Holla Forums in months, what did this crazy old man say now?

Hitler is the best pokemon master.
Or what he means:
Augmented reality games, and pokemon go in particular, are a good analogy to nazism. We all live in the same world, but when you look through the lense of pokemon go, you see monsters everywhere, just like when you look through the lense of nazism, you see jews everywhere, despite there not being any monsters or jews. Its all ideology making you see monsters.

god damn, i tought the zizek does coke thing was a meme.

Well, both of them are more than just deep sounding memelords on yt. Of course, if you only watch few minute long clips taken from their lectures then it's inevitable that they will come off like that.

Got banned for 3 days for that thread. Reason given was that I violated rule no.1. (pol is for politics). So the mod is basically saying that he decides what's politics and what isn't, and threads with pics of black dudes fucking white ladies with posters screaming about Jews is politics, and theory of ideology isn't.

No.

Damsh it

no, no, no, absolutely not.

peterson is a reactionary hack who has literally no contribution to the philosophical tradition. he caters to an audience of children and nothing more, the man has done nothing for philosophy as a whole. he has produced nothing new.

zizek,on the other hand, manages to be more approachable than his contemporaries due to his appeals to popular culture, however you should not let this fool you into thinking he's a charlatan on the level of peterson.

this is literally only true if you somehow think his interviews/thinkpieces for large media outlets in any way have to do with his system of thought.

yes his ideology stuff is great and easy to understand, however i can't accept how much you're underestimating the amount of work zizek has done in integrating lacanian psychoanalysis, german idealism, and political economy into a semi consistent philosophical method. this is a real accomplishment in thought, and should not be undervalued because he makes dirty jokes and talks about popular movies. peterson, that fuck who's no better than alain de botton, honestly doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as zizek