2008 Housing Crisis

Let's have a thread about this, it's a great example of why derivatives, advanced markets, and capitalism in general doesn't work.
Banks revealed themselves and their entire maket structure to be a house of cards.
Rating agencies admitted to being untrustworthy and "just an opinion".
Capitalists and politicians colluded, and saved the markets at the expense of the people.
The film "Inside Job" is a great explanation of what happened, although the conclusions it draws are pure liberalism.
Great documentary about the crisis, blow by blow: youtu.be/VQzEWeGJLP0

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/MarxianFromMars/status/895739776996970497
dailykos.com/stories/2016/2/25/1491455/-They-re-Back-CDOs-with-a-New-Name-But-under-the-same-old-Management
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A good source if you want to do further reading on this and get a sample of the atmosphere at the time is Robert Peston's blog on the BBC website.
He left the BBC a few years ago and they archived it for a while, but it might be down.

The land-value tax prevents this type of speculation bubble.

no it doesn't. This bubble is endemic to capitalism, and specifically to the derivatives market, exacerbated by the repeal of Glass-steagall. as long as we allow the markets to bet on outcomes, this kind of thing will keep happening.
Ban the derivatives market altogether.

… It's gonna happen.

they're gonna foreclose on our brains?

People are just gonna stop paying their student debt, and the banks will tank, and the governments won't have anyone to borrow from anymore to prop them up

When are derivatives gonna pop and end it all anyway?

this is actually an interedasting prediction

twitter.com/MarxianFromMars/status/895739776996970497

Spanish thread about the next one (use translate)

Acumulation: 35 business in USA make 50% of it's PNB

I have no link for this one but: Housing problem is an acumulation problem, speculators do buy houses keeping prices too high, when speculation ends, prices don't keep up naturally so the roller coaster begins

And how do you have a speculation bubble about the future potential income from high rent due to popularity of location when popularity of location is the very thing that is taxed?

1º Black markek - Buy things underprice, pay the rest under the desk

2º Potential income is always bigger than taxes so taxes only serve to "compensate" taxes by increasing the price. That's the magic of a bubble

A profound piece of history, because it continues to color the outlooks of at least an entire generation. Its resonance is almost lost in translation, which is a shame - older folks who didn't get laid off during the period don't seem to quite understand the magnitude of what happened.

The land-value tax is not a percentage of the official selling price, you pay for land while you are holding it.
Nonsense. To which extent the burden of the tax is shouldered by supplier or consumer depends on the market structure, it's the less flexible site that bleeds money. Land supply is rigid, hence the tax burden stays with the land owner.

no, I am saying the bubble will move to another market - if not housing, it will be something else

What is more interesting analizing is how the left totally wasted this opportunity. Seriously I had a discussion with my father the other day, we he was younger he was very active in the local communist party here in Italy. Now he went full succdem after the housing crisis and the consequential global recession.
How do you respond?

In America, the OWS movement was equated with the civil rights movement, and old NorthVsSouth, old vs young, city vs country politics. This is a residual background of politics in Americaq, and was one of the reasons of its demise. This background led to the movement splintering over social issues. Along with typical liberal bullshit and cointel ops.
What is your take on the same process in italy(where you at least have an actual left)?

L O L.
No man, berlusconi killed the left. We are radical centrist now. The italian left, the PD, Is center left but in realty is neoliberal centrist bullshit. This country would rather vote center, right than left.

fair enough, I don't really know shit about Italian politics.

Shit, it's shameful

How does a bubble move?

Because the same processes, financial tools, and mindsets that led to the housing crisis will be used again in another market.
It's why capitalism has a crisis about once or twice a decade.
In just my lifetime, I've seen the oil crisis in the 70s, SNL and Crash in 80s, great recession in the 90s, housing and dotcom bubbles in this century.

oldfag detected

^Completely retarded mystical ramblings. Can you actually describe an economic mechanism that makes one bubble move to another? Pro-tip: You can't.

should I be going to college then?

Try telling that to rightards

it doesn't actually move, dumbass.
The same techniques are used in another market, creating another bubble, and another burst.
The same way CDO's have become bespoke tranche opportunites.
dailykos.com/stories/2016/2/25/1491455/-They-re-Back-CDOs-with-a-New-Name-But-under-the-same-old-Management

fucking shit slide threads

how is this a slide thread? kill yourself shitposter.
I'd rather have this than that "Vinterflamma hottest grill on leftpol?" Thread. I can probably point out plenty of other "slide" threads that exist but are allowed anyway.
Talking about economics on the other hand, is not a fucking slide thread. So in short, kys.

are you saying there's no such thing as global economic interconnectivity

Look at this goalpost-moving combo, reminder the thread is supposed to be about the housing bubble:

>The land-value tax prevents this type of speculation bubble.

>no it doesn't.

>I am saying the bubble will move to another market