Leftist Cinema

Just a thread for the discussion of leftist cinema, film recommendations, any sort of film theory/criticism you think is relevant, or just talking about your favorite movies.

Recently I've been attracted to Jean-Luc Godard. I've watched a few of his early films and plan on checking out his 70s Maoist stuff eventually.

Had to take a class on theory in college what got me interested was an essay about capitalist ideology in film that looked at film production and its workers with respect to Marxism.
>academic.regis.edu/jgschwin/409lecoutline.marx2.htm
>dartmouth.edu/~film01/ideology.html
Those are some summaries of the essay. I unfortunately couldn't find it for free online in full, but it's available in a lot of entry-level film theory textbooks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vTN5_Efx1n4
cytu.be/r/leftytv
archive.org/details/HellOnEarth
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Lego Movie is an allegory about late capitalism. Plato's republic for the 21st century

I just watched Network for the first time the other day. I fucking loved it, every single line of dialog was saturated in beautiful, dark satire. I was utterly blown away by it. Anyone know of any other movies like this?

these are some more recent ones

Didn't watch that one because it didn't look like something I would like, but I read the plot summary and heard a lot of things about anti-capitalist or corporatist sentiment in it, both from people on the left and the typical Holla Forumscucks complaining that it was forcing Marxism onto children.

It's especially interesting to think about movies like The Lego Movie or maybe something like Avatar or Aliens that are produced at every stage within the capitalist system yet seem, at least on the surface, to confront its ideology.

Just posting this pic mainly to bump thread. I like this thread. It's a good thread! Keep this thread going. It's a good thread. I like threads like this, so naturally I like this thread in particular. This is the kind of thread I like. Other threads that I like include threads similar to this one, as you can guess from my previous statement about how much I like this thread. Good thread.

Also I've only seen Breathless, but Godard seems kinda bougie from that and what I've heard about his other stuff.

Also They Live was trash.
Bad thread.

Network's a good movie. I'll dig around my collection, if I see anything similar to it I'll post recommendations for you

Whoops forgot pic

Keep watching his works. You know what Godard said about all of his early films? Each of them could have been reduced to 5 minutes.

Big Short was good in that it presented a lot of actual information in an entertaining way and probably reached a lot of people. Even my boomer libertarian dad thought it was a very good movie and it seems things like the financial crisis and rising American inequality has been pushing some people like him somewhat left these days.

Didn't see The Founder. From the trailer it looked like it was more a glamorization of capitalism, but maybe I'm wrong. What did you like about it?

It does the opposite. It shows how Ray Kroc uses bullshit laws like private and intellectual property to effectively steal from the actual founders of the McDonalds franchise. It not only disproves the whole "meritocracy" fantasy while showing how property can be equated to theft.

the lego movie is ultimately a piece of neoliberal propaganda that plays with anticapitalist sentiments for its own ends.The structure of the film is bonkers. the final scenes , in which lego world is revealed as a commodity shrine located in a suburban basement, brought to life by a child's creativity, are quite jarring. the villain of the movie, a business themed super-villain called President Business is eerily similar to Donald Trump. at the end of the film, president business is revealed to be one with the child's father, played by will ferrel, an archetypal 50s dad, representing the ur authority principle.

youtube.com/watch?v=vTN5_Efx1n4 pt 1 of 3 also on the tube

Good doc about Allende

That's pretty interesting, actually harsher than I'd have been on what I've seen. What specifically would you recommend? I got the impression that his Essay Films (e.g. Historie(s) Du Cinema) were more transgressional.

Godard grew up very bourgie but that's sort of the point, if that makes sense. After 1967 or so, he swore off the entire history of cinema as bourgeois and began a radical period (I haven't dug into any of those yet, so I can't really speak of them). But with Breathless up to Weekend, he did a lot of work dissecting the culture and ideology French bourgeois from the inside (the protagonist of Pierrot le Fou can be looked at as Godard mocking himself and the notion of revolutionary bourgeois), the influence of America and the West on European cinema, the way narrative and even technical methods of cinema can corrupt reality, etc.

Wiki on his film La Chinoise, which mixes its story of the development of a Parisian student Maoist cell with interviews with real students and philosophers in France:

A lot of his stuff touches on the irony and unfortunate inaction of bourgeois leftism in first-world countries.

That's actually very, very interesting. I'll put that on the next time my dad and I are looking for something to watch

Wrong pic, already posted that

has anyone here watched Neruda? Its a fucking amazing communist movie about real life happenings in Chile, outside of some meta-artsy faggotry thrown in randomly

What did you like about it? Was it historically accurate and where do you live?

I'm a different guy who hasn't seen the radical stuff mentioned by the guy you replied to, but if you want to get into more of his stuff here are a few good ones

Those are really just some of his popular ones I really enjoyed. If you find you like any of them, do some reading about him and check out whatever sounds interesting, he made about 15 films during his early New Wave period alone and has never really stopped. He's working on another film at age 86

If we're including documentaries in a discussion of leftist cinema, what does Holla Forums think about the documentaries of Adam Curtis? I think Curtis himself described himself as a neo-con, but they do open themselves to leftist interpretation. He never really touches on anarchism "proper" (if there is such a thing) or other lesser known far-left ideologies, but only on the history of the USSR.

Also tbh, I'm trying to watch less films to make time for reading, cause I think that film focuses too much on personal pleasure (or shared pleasure, if anyone wanted to watch films with me ;'/ ). Thoughts?

OK, sorry this took a while.

Not sure if these will be what you're looking for, but most of them are at least somewhat similar to Network at least in era/style/theme

The Zero Theorem, 2013 (a disappointing movie in my opinion, but if you like Brazil or Terry Gilliam it's worth watching)

Try finding non soviet kino as hardmode
Pro tip: You won't.

Burger here, don't really know him. From wikipedia, his style sounds interesting. I gathered fuck all about his politics from it, though

Reading is probably the best way to go but film can be an art and it can be political. If you look at it the same way you'd look at theory, literature, or art, it can be a bit nobler than pure pleasure.

I don't really get what you mean

t. pleb.

are you just implying that non soviet kino is easymode and soviet kino is hardmode I just don't get what you mean

We have a /leftytv/ on cytube that plays nonstop leftist movies and documentaries.
cytu.be/r/leftytv
Please check this out, guys. It's too cool to die.

you forgot to take off your shitposting fleg

If you haven't accepted kino as a legitimate term using more known ones here would be too good for you.

non soviet kino is hardmode.

if people have links to movies already uploaded or upload them to google drive i can add them to:
cytu.be/r/leftytv
so you can watch and chat with fellow anons, kinda stopped maintaining it cuz busy but was gonna make a new thread soon. ive just had the playlist on shuffle for the past few weeks but theres lots of documentaries and films already added

so you're just saying it's hard to find non soviet kino

either way do you have any recs

No

nigga I ain't touchin that

I've got plenty of movies that I could upload that at least I think are good, at least some Godard ones
do you want an email or something, sounds like good fun

only requires it for google drive videos, its just a userscript like 4chanx is. the site is legit and has been around & used by Holla Forums forever

ill login and idle in the chat, if you want just PM the orange name "Earwax" or post in the chat a link to a shareable google drive video or youtube or w/e and ill add it to the list. ill make the playlist public in a couple hours and try to add the voting system i meant to a while ago. dont wanna derail this thread though so ill start a new one in a little. any uploads or links are definitely welcome

Thanks user, I'll add those to my watchlist.

Nagisa Oshima always had very interesting political themes in his films and even the lesser ones are worth watching.

The food/obesity documentaries on netflix are p good

any recommendations on what films of his to start with? was he part of any movement or anything?

is food inc one of them

never seen it before were there a lot of movie threads?

They tend to crop up every now and then.

They're much less obnoxious than the unending litany of shitty bait threads that get tolerated.

I'm the op of this, really just wanted to get some discussion going
what's usually wrong with them

As someone who hasn't really read much yet, I'm about 15 minutes into The Pervert's Guide to Ideology and I'm really enjoying it.

What do you guys think of it?

I liked it. I also recommend The Perverts Guide to Cinema, also featuring Zizek, for approximately more of the same.

I find zizek interesting and I like how he looks at the films
It's a fairly good introduction to film analysis in general. Once you have some theory or points of critique in mind it gets pretty fun.

At a small point after the scene where Zizek talks about the fight in They Live, I started to feel physically sick. I'm sure it's because of whatever I ate, but it was more fun to think of it as my mind rejecting truth.

There's not really much to discuss there, I just thought it was funny.

It's great. I've seen it and the Guide to Cinema about 5 times and it still holds up. One of the best things Zizek has done in my opinion.

The Wind that Shakes the Barley is good and I have a suspicion that Ken Loach is /ourguy/.

I'm pretty sure he is.

He's a Corbyn supporter too, from wikipedia:

Metropolis is classcucked, and the end the boss and the workers just learn to get along XDD

Start with Death by Hanging (about a man condemned to death who fails to die and wakes up with amnesia).
Oshima was part of the Japanese New Wave, which has a lot of left-wing films from other directors as well. Check out Woman in the Dunes (man gets kidnapped by villagers in the dunes and has to shovel sand forever, good take on alienation), Eros + Massacre (a biopicish film on Japanese anarchists) and Branded to Kill (which is less explicitly leftwing but it one of my favorite films).

Yeah

Just watched this masterpiece again, thoughts?

There's nothing wrong with them, just that like music threads it tends to be the same thing over and over.

AVBC
is essential viewing because within 5 years we as a nation will be LARPing it.

Just finished watching it. It was pretty fucking funny and still really fucking applicable and truthful 30 years later when TV is on its deathbed. It was unusually genuine and really well written. Would've preferred if it had more Howard and less Diana. I get she's supposed to be an intentionally unlikeable character, but that just makes me not want to watch her. I didn't really understand at the end how Howard was saying what the top executive wanted him to say when he was talking about the death of democracy or humans turning into machines, or why he was saying it anyway.

After watching it I see how much 50 Million Merits was inspired by it.

Fun and clever action movie, not a particularly deep critique of society.

Rewatched pic related recently. Last watched it years ago before I became a Leftist and thought it was a neat movie but could've done more with the whole immortality and everyone being the same age thing. But fuck, after rewatching it, it struck me at how blatantly Leftist it was, particularly how the rich can only exist by everyone else being poor, and how they're repeatedly called thieves in the movie. It even mentioned Capitalism by name, even though it was making a comparison to Capitalism instead of explicitly saying it is Capitalism. It had some pretty sweet lines like:

Now admittedly the film had pretty weak theory, it doesn't really explain how the rich get wealthy off the poor, and apparently its idea to destroy the system is to just rob banks, but the fact that a mainstream Hollywood film was this blatantly Leftist is pretty astounding.

The director, Andrew Niccol, has a lot of films with Leftist themes, like Gattaca, Lord of War, and Good Kill.

Can't seem to find the other parts, they're all bait and switch videos.

Trump announced his run for presidency in 2015. The Lego Movie was released in February 2014. There's no way there was any intention from the filmmakers to make President Business in any way similar to Trump. Granted, the resemblance between the two is quite uncanny, but only in a matter of pure coincidence.

This is movie is good because of Michael Keaton but jc I could NOT fucking stand the propaganda. There's all this twangy acoustic music accompanied by fake pictures of folksy americans talking about their fake ass "entrepreneur" stories that swells whenever anyone mentions "american values" or god or muh family or their juicy delicious frozen plastic burger patties. At one point Michael Keaton, off-hand and unironically, describes the french fries as "golden brown on the outside and pillowy white on the inside". I'm absolutely certain McDonald's corporate pushed half of the script out to make way for their own product placement bullshit. Bleh.

Stroszek is about how stupid the mc is for having a 'grass is greener' mindset about america instead of actually trying to not be a loser in/fix up his own country. This is word of god here.

So basically you're a massive psued.

yeah that's what it's literally about, I don't really get how that even contradicts what I said

chris marker

anyone of u comrades have the death by hanging jap movie with english subtitles..

Anybody seen Reds (about Russian Revolution)?

Probably the best movie about wall street I've seen

Hell On Earth / Niemandsland
archive.org/details/HellOnEarth

Is it really leftist? It's just about someone waking up from a coma after the Berlin Wall fell and her kids hiding this fact from her lest she get a heart attack.

The film goes out of its way to show all teh things people loved about the GDR: pretty unique perspective in the modern world.

it's critically about how the west ruined lives of the GDR people and it shows mostly the positive aspects of it. I wouldnt call it lefty but its okay

I watched this in my German class in high school, but I didn't pay attention cos I was a dumb kid. Would you say it depicts East Germany more fairly than in most other western media?

Fug watched it like a year ago so maybe it's kill now

Now I really wanna see parts 2 and 3.

It was pretentious word salad that Herzog is way too cool for.

I smacked my forehead hard at this film student-tier "interpretation".

why?

I have. It's cinematically gorgeous and class-conscious AF. Kinda had an issue with the slow pacing, but it can be argued that a lot of great films back in the day were slower-paced than the high-octane level of editing burgers are used to from modern Hollywood.

Damn, I should really see Reds again.