Literally Reaction 101 The Movie

Watching this movie with my younger cousins (since my siblings thought this would be a great choices) and being reminded of how fucking propagandist this film is - liked it as a kid but holy fuck - just telling my cousins (aged 8 10 & 13) this isn't historically accurate & that there was actually a revolution - told by my sibs to just let them enjoy the movie - feels bad comrade

Shitty movie for its rotoscoped animation alone. Lazy af.

Rotoscoping is pretty expensive. I guess it is lazy for the artists themselves, but I don't think they usually have a choice.

At least it is not the Golden Films Anastasia that had Rasputin the leader of the Bolsheviks.

Tell your siblings there's plenty of room at the wall for them and their tsarist friends.

Ahh, Anastasia… Czarist propaganda at worst, a decent non-Disney fairy tale at best. No shit it's historically inaccurate, but hey, did you even SEE Pocahontas??

I'd love to live in 1917 to put a bullet in the Czar's head myself as much as the next prole, but sperging over a relatively harmless animated movie is pretty pointless. Hardly anyone remembers it, and it was Don Bluth's second-to-last animated movie he'd ever make, the last one being Titan AE. Besides, there's actually some things I like about this movie, cinematically speaking. The animation is rather impressive for its time, and despite being the absolute least historically accurate thing in the entire movie, Rasputin is a very entertaining villain, with one of the best villain songs of all time, "In the Dark of the Night."

In fact, I'd say we could very well repurpose In the Dark of the Night for leftist usage!

When I was 13, I was getting high, and going out to skate with friends, not watching Disney movies. Let me guess user, your family is christcucks, right-wing?

I'm in my 20s and my friends get high to watch Disney movies all the time. Might be a girl thing.

Tru tho - I'm an animation buff - watching this film the character animation looks pretty weird a lot. Rotoscoping always leans into the uncanny valley when it's used for realistic cartoon characters. It makes for really awkward looking faces at times - that's not even taking the movie's substance (plot/characters/etc) into account - but with animated films the visuals are vital.

Yes actually lol - tho unfortunately they're more moderate/liberal-ish in effect. Centrists - you know the type. Also christcukcs - have to keep up the act for them to an extent. I love my family - but politically they're meh. Starting to slowly feed anti-capitalist bits to my left-liberal sister & my youngest sister who's 13. But yee this is a simple family gathering.

oh god that's so bad

When was the movie made again?
I feel like it would have had to been after the USSR fell to not risk the backlash

Doncha know fam - there was a time where things used to be perfect - where the people (Tsars & court) lived a life of parties and luxury - all until evil Rasputin set a curse upon the royal family (for no real season cuz he was evil duh) - and it caused "anger to be unleashed upon our once beautiful country." Damn all those peasants just were hypnotized by that evil mad monk.

Oh yeah it was like 1998 or 99

Same, I'm also an animator myself, loathing what capitalism has done to the magic of 2D animation industry – crushed it in the US. I'm just happy France and Japan are keeping it alive right now.

Also interesting how animation in it's earliest forms - both in Japan and Germany over a century ago - had ties to left-wing agitation. Was reading a book on the history of anime a while ago & it seems there were some anti-imperialist left-wing agitators among the ranks of animators. Pretty cool.

TBH As much as I love animation - I'd say the budget barrier is a huge impediment towards more people working on it - also sad to see the state of pretty much all workers on animation in Japan form directors to producers to -of course- the animators. They all get paid like shit & have bad work conditions - it's the giant distribution/funding/production companies that actually make the anime money. It's a shitty situation.

yes pls

Which book?

why is she wearing a lenin hat?

And why that bratty "are u serious?" facial expression?
She looks like she just told her older brother to drive her to the mall, only to have him tell her to take the buss.

who the fuck got high at 13? Did you grow up in a ghetto or something?

How about a socdem gang song plotting against Rosa?

would be better with a song praising the revolution.

>starving workers' revolution boiled down to "the spark of poverty"
this triggers me

kek
Rasputin here was responsible for the revolution with demon magic though

It's not propaganda because it was not the intention.
Greatly twisting historical moments to romantisize it for a movie plot, is not an attempt to defend czarism
Other cartoons are propaganda (eg british cartoons about the queen of England), this is just a fucking movie with writers that needed to make the child of a terrible regime relatable

it's Fox

This is PERFECT. I'm starting to imagine Bernie Sanders with a long, white beard in magicians' rags singing it with his socdem minions.

You, user, are a fucking genius. I kinda wish I could credit you when this happens.

Fag