Suicide

Hey, Holla Forums. What are your thoughts on suicide?

It really pisses me off that the state almost only executes people who don't want it, and barbiturates and other EXCELLENT WAYS TO DIE are unavailable to people like you and I. Are we in agreement that a properly functioning society would allow decent death to those who only desired an end to existence?

Even if that society had decent workers' rights and freedom to work to one's capability, surely some people would still need and want their own deaths.

We are porky's property. Porky won't let his property check out on him.

But porky could make mad profits out of it if it wasn't a taboo thing.
Imagine all the products, services and stuff porky would be able to sell to people that wish to die.

I legitimately cannot think of any more "right" that is inalienable than the right to live, and think rights are spooks.
If you want to kill yourself, go ahead. If you want to live, then do it.

its about as pointless as living

You're not thinking cynically enough, in super late capitalism when climate change starts to really hit we will see financial rewards for suicide like in Deus Ex.

Can't find a link now since everything redirects to the shitty 3rd one but there was an advert in the public terminals for suicide payments.

Somehow I think these are both true. Porkies definitely benefit a lot off of having a bunch of people around who don't want to live or have any reason - at that point, a person becomes *just* a consumer, prone to addictions. This dead weight is paid for people and pays porky.

But porkies probably really don't have a unified stance on it - depression drugs, alcohol, junk food, and the like are more profitable and suicide is taboo so there's just little (if any) push from the top for this. Suicide itself would be an extraordinarily niche market, and if they tried to expand it they might have already eliminated all those who'd support such commercial approaches.

Yeah, but I'd tried to hang myself like three times in the past day the artery way. And it's only getting less comfortable and I'm somehow fucking it up so it takes a really really long time and I have yet to fully pass out. I can't afford a shotgun, and I don't know shit about bitcoin. I'm not going to try to find a job for another year just so I can fucking die, and I certainly don't want to do it so I can live.

I know the buses here advertise "octapharma" who will pay you for blood plasma.

not my comrade

They're certainly wasting our lives

Are these serious posts? Do you want your fucking grandma to kill herself?

Jesus, this place is a shithole

My grandma did kill herself, now I don't give a fuck. All baby boomers should die. They had their chance to not be total parasites on society.

Not either of them, but both of my grandmothers are dead. Can confirm that nothing of any special value was lost.

Baby boomers can live forever for all I care, but they ought to at least have the courtesy to let me fucking die if they're not going to.

The other one's a sweetheart, and she would never do that.

Old people are probably some of the worst people in existence. Incredibly demanding, incredibly rude, and pretty much no desire to do anything for themselves.

In that case, yeah, they can go fuck off and die.

So we're all in agreement:

Porky keeps people alive against their will to profit off of their blood plasma and misery

and

Grandmothers should be killed.

I'm Anglo

We don't call them boomers here but it's the same thing. In fact it's even worse in this country since the boomers control all of the property market

I agree with user. we shouldn't just kill people who are no use to the community, we should kill them and used their bodies for sexual pleasure and eventually as fertilizer

>not trying to do something edgy

Also the only logical case for it is to prevent further suffering, and even then there are ways out of it, depending on the circumstances. I am of the opinion that being alive is a miracle, but only soiled if you are born in hell, and even then, we should try to hold on to our existence, and celebrate it's meaninglessness as a liberating force. It's the only one we have, so there's no sense in throwing it away willy-nilly.

Honestly though, I only would care for a 'warrior's death' and even then, life is too interesting for me to check out of it.

Ted Bundy pls go

we have much in common you and I

1. I consider it the only rational thing I could do with my life and perhaps the only ideologically consistent thing. I'm both a serial-procrastinator and a coward, though, so I'll probably starve instead.
2. The idea of mass suicide in protest of neoliberal capitalism is something I find appealing. (No more realistic than the fantasy of reformism actually working, but appealing nonetheless.)
3. I dunno extrapolate from that that I have a very lax attitude to it in a sort of positive sense, while also appreciating the gravity of it in a negative sense. (i.e. someone bitching about how suicide is sooooo selfish and cowardly pisses me off, but i wouldn't push people towards it or actually advocate it even though I think as an abstract concept it's great, fuck it, life is shit. Check out.)

That's a hell of an inference to draw from the idea of easy suicide for those who actually want it, and pressuring those who want to die into staying alive is also distasteful.

Although I have to wonder if elderly suicide rates are going to ratchet up as a result of the youth-centric nature of neoliberal culture, although it's possible as average ages shift up due to low birth rates that might not be the case. (suicide rate will still explode due to declining living standards, reduced disability welfare and increasing pension ages.)

Unproven, and there's also little sense in making any effort to keep it, particularly when doing so imposes negative costs on others.
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, so stop consuming is a tempting line of thought even if it involves the individualism and self-activism that neoliberalism so loves to spread.

Well, I do hate cops.

But you know, I'm worried about failing to die if I try that one out. After all, I'm white and not that threatening.

Disagree. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to do it as I see fit. I may be preventing suffering by offing myself, but what if I weren't? There's really just an emotional argument against it.

I agree with most of what you have to say, but for the sake of discussion, I'll nitpick on the
Bit. I'd argue that it's fairly certain that, at the very least, this is the only life we have as individual human beings. To die sees a person gradually become many separate particles which have no identity and many of which will only interact chemically and physically without consciousness. It could be called oblivion, but it's really only oblivion for that person, who regardless of their physical body can then only "exist" as a memory among those who know something about them. For their body, existence (and to some extent, life, depending on rites taken) continues. As an individual, they will never exist again.

Also unproven. I'm also saying that the decision of life or death for one's self is a heavy one, that the person must make up for themselves, just not without thinking about it. The part of causing a negative cost on others is due to the fact we live in a parasitic system.
Where did I imply this?

It doesn't make sense to me, so all I can do is shrug. Maybe it's the only thing someone would have control over? Also, you'd be famous, so there's that.

I mean, even if we accept the scarcity of individuals, simply being scarce doesn't make things valuable if you stretch the timeframe out to infinity.

Whether we're reborn or not isn't really a factor, since it's unproven either way.
"Well yeah, so escape the system the easiest way that's possible in polynomial time." is essentially the conclusion I'm drawing from that fact.

You didn't, it's me explaining my own outlook in another format, because one way to remove (or at least mitigate) one's own misdeeds from the system entirely is to remove oneself from existence. (The other is to remove capitalism, but this would require collective action and rallying collective action is incredibly difficult and might just collapse in on itself. Or you could just embrace not being ethical, but that's not very nice.)

Hey, comrade. Wanna make a revolutionary pact?

REDpilling folks and being unethical it is. I see no benefit from feeling guilt due to a system I have no control over, let alone one I didn't make. Moreover I would like to see it end for selfish reasons also, such as it being inefficient to 99% of people, which includes myself obviously. The only way I see self destruction being acceptable to me is if it causes damage to the system anyway, otherwise, I'm having too much enjoyment, as well as a person of my own that I'm taking care of.

I've had suicidal thought since I was in primary school and I've had a few friends who tried in high school. Now I meet people who treat it loke a really foreign concept, which I never considered. I don't say anything to them, but I get annoyed that people treat it like a problem. Just treat people as best you can, and if life is really unbearable for them, then you have no right to tell them that may have to continue living.

Revolutionary Suicide Now!

But they would make more money off suicidal people by selling them commodities and thru taxes

Nah, life's too precious to waste. At least by hanging yourself or eating a bullet that is. If people really wanna die they should go out in a blaze of glory by putting themselves to use in suicide missions of some kind to save others. You know, like how old Japanese people volunteered to clean up Fukushima cuz they thought the young had too much left to live for.

TRUST NO ONE OVER 30

this

A properly functioning society would make a sincere effort to improve the life of one who wanted to commit suicide. If that is not enough, it should not stand in the way. Suicide is usually undertaken to avoid a painful life, but it's sometimes possible, though rarely in capitalism, to improve lived experience directly.

There are plenty of reliable, fast ways to kill yourself. It can be hard to carry out the act, but don't excuse your trepidation by claiming it's not easy.

If you need inspiration:

Also, you are on the wrong board
>>>/suicide/

literally identity politics.

This is a good one. It's much more likely to result in a clean suicide than just jumping off a bridge, and if your rope is strong then there's no risk of your corpse killing anyone below.

I blame the rest of the adult population for the cruelty which makes me suicidal. I struggle to think of any heroic sacrifice I could make which would benefit children.

I think the anthropic principle provides strong evidence for quantum immortality of some kind, although you're right that it's still unproven. Hell, the very fact that it is an unanswered question makes death appealing because it means I might find an answer. It's a very risky kind of experimental philosophy.

This.

What if one day, all the poor/working class members of a country made a "supply strike" and decided to stop having children and/or commit mass suicides? How would this affect porky?

Moreover, won't this be encouraged after technological unemployment? People who neither work nor consume will be seen as unworthy of life in the future.

There is only one thing a suicidal leftist can do at Wall Street my dude

I could equally well go and firebomb a zoo to get revenge on all the tigers who have hunted my ancestors.

If your solution is not systematic, it isn't a solution at all. Killing a tiny number of people will not make life better for anyone and it certainly won't usher in a communist revolution. Do the words "material conditions" even mean anything to you?

You mean my mom and dad?

I hate their generation, but I don't hate them.

It would never happen. Humans are stupid on average, and the working class have below average intelligence. The whole reason capitalism exists and resource distribution is a problem is because humans are fundamentally incapable of cooperating on a large scale.

Give me a mission that's sure to kill me and I might try. Not risking jail time or injury.

Fucking co-signed.

I'm listening.

Otherwise - you're going for the throat here, which is admirable. But the consequences of fucking up long drop or a fall or train-based suicide are pretty dire, even if they're like 89% effective.

You're dumb.

Oh yes, humans in general are extremely stupid. I can see many problems in the world and I know that there exists a sequence of actions that I, as an individual, can perform to solve all those problems, but I can't figure out how to do it. Hell, the same goes for computer security. Anyone can read the code and see what steps the processor is taking, but yet we keep leaving bugs and only discovering them years or decades later, if ever. The human brain is both amazingly sophisticated and terrifyingly limited.

SSRIs can run $1000+ a month, and they'll turn you into a semi-functional wage slave so you're still working, consuming, and paying taxes. This is the real reason suicide is illegal in most nations.

There is only one high potency barbiturate I know of which can be synthesized from easily available chemicals. If you can pull off organic synthesis you should be able to figure out which one it is. Not really worth it in my opinion, as the setup costs about the same as illegal barbs from China.

If you do a really long drop hang, you can guarantee decapitation.

Shotguns to the head are pretty effective if you know where to aim. It's not like you need a real one; zip guns which accept shotgun shells are easy to construct and cheap. This is, of course, assuming you can find an appropriate shotgun shell. Probability of living is considered ~1%.

Also honestly curious, is there any way our reality could be altered to make you change your mind, or do you see the desire for suicide as inevitable in all possible worlds?

I could be about 10 years younger. Never going back home would also have been a good decision, but the underlying problem of being older than I ever wanted or needed to be is only exasperated by reliving my quiet adolescence. There could be delays, but as is pretty much anything I do is a diversion until I attain a satisfactory means of death. Probably the Chinese barbs or something at this point - unless I get some real gusto to try partial hanging again or suddenly have the balls to do something like long drop this week, I think I've wasted enough time that I may as well waste some money and another week or two on a better deal.