CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM

People here have no mathematical literacy whatever. There's even pretty limited historical literacy. Erudition is largely limited to Marxist thought and popular continental philosophy. Scientism is used as an insult.

Stirner is an awful meme and people use him in stupid ways. I have literally never seen a Stirnerposter make an intelligent post. He's middle brow frogposting.

Authoritarian lefties here are nearly indistinguishable from Holla Forums, anti-authoritarian lefties are nearly indistinguishable from reddit. Post quality has dipped tremendously since reddit influx post catgirls.

Most people here are incapable of analyzing any problem without resorting to tenuous economic hand waiving. A successful revolution solves literally everything. People are uncreative about problem solving, relying either on a favored book which answers everything or demonstrating a tenuous connection between a given problem and capitalism. Problems with implementations of communist systems are only shallowly discussed, and analysis of the status quo is straight up lazy.

There's a severe disconnect from current events. Most of the board is repetitive theory shitflinging. On this basis this board is probably more of a timewaster than Holla Forums.

Generally awful memes. This isn't a big issue, because memes hamper discussion, but there's clearly at least some people here self conscious about losing a "meme war" and producing a ton of garbage. It comes out that you're making half assed propaganda rather than stuff you think is funny.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VqJwCgM5kgk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cybernetics thread are good quality imo

And yet here you are.

Good post.

Another problem is the "read a book" meme. The whole reason to read books is to help develop your own worldview, which in turn helps you transmit more developed arguments to others.

gb2 shitty splinter chan w/ 5 regular posters

I've been thinking about this.
I think it would be positive to encourage people to actually read.
This could be done by making a reading thread every Sunday that goes over some assigned reading, answering questions etc. Board volunteers could help by deleting all thread derails.
Going further, the thread could be stickied all week, for those that are catching up or don't have free time on Sundays.
This could also attract more people to the board, but besides that, I think this is feasible.
Before making a shit post on this, feedback would be nice.

bookclub threads, in my experience, primarily attract the "HEY GUYS IM READING X ARENT I COOL XDDD >_>" faggots with a small grain of people genuinely looking to learn. The last one I saw wound up primarily being used by namefags looking to say "IM SMART!"

If you want discussion of theory, you need to do more than make a book club. Look at the cybernetics thread and the empirical Marxism thread it spawned, for example. Or the Rojava thread and an argument there that spawned "Communalism v Communism", which Marxists, MLs and Communalists discussed their theory until it reached the bumplock.

You're expecting too much from an imageboard, it isn't a bookclub, its about shitposting and memes. Its not necessarily a good format for theory and reading.

I understand your motivation for the bookclubbing, but this guy's right, they never work out.

People should read, I love reading, I always recommend people to read novels and non fiction and policy papers and articles, but it's never a substitute to a response to a question.

There's a good image floating around where somebody asks a guy something and the guy on the left goes "it's not my job to educate you etc." and the guy on the right with a swastika goes into an indepth explanation and at the end recommends further reading.

It's an eminently fair critique, and is the situation online.

This is true, but there's a limit to being lazy. Shitposting is fun but sometimes isn't the right thing to do.

I think it mostly comes down to it being incredibly tiresome to constantly have to essentially repost the same explanation for very basic theoretical concepts. Whether it's because the individuals its addressing don't internalize/understand any of it or because it's always in response to new people, it's unrealistic to expect people to spend such large chunks of time devoted to such rudimentary educational tasks when they are often coming here for more in-depth discussion. "Read a book" is really just a stand-in for saying "do your own research," and as long as they are pointed in the right direction in the process, I don't see anything wrong in doing so.

I tried doing something similar to this (minus the sticky) a bit over a year ago now. It started strong, but interest eventually began to wane until only like 5 people tops were actually participating. There's probably a way to make the bookclub idea work in the imageboard format, but I sure as hell haven't figured out how it would work.

So you wasn't here in the beginning of Holla Forums

You don't have to spend a large chunk of time to explain simply; communication is an art, and you can always point to a book after sketching out the basics.

Presented without comment.

Youre completely right, its just a hard issue because obviously we dont want the mods just getting rid of bad posts because that defeats the entire purpose of an image board and theres a huge gray area of perception between what is shitposts and what is serious, and that's the zone the best content often comes from.

I really dont know if anything can be done or even should be, especially by the mod team. Holla Forums always had a lot of shitposting and Holla Forums bait. Recently the Nazbol memes have been a special kind of cancer tho and it makes me really worried this will become an unironic Nazbol board if we get any more overthrow from Holla Forums, and then we'll be back to having nowhere on the internet for anti-IdPol leftists, because right now social reactionaries are the IdPol most in danger of overtaking Holla Forums. Somehow they equate being against identity politics as compatible with muh "fuck niggers and women XD" shit

Did someone say lazy?

youtube.com/watch?v=VqJwCgM5kgk

Well fuck.
I agree that those thread you mention are great, although most comments go way over my head. Same with the cybernetics thread. The reason being that I haven't read Capital nor Crockshott, which is the reason I wanted to make the reading thread in the first place.

Really? I feel like most people can sniff out /pol pretty easily if they start going on about DA JOOS etc.

I've seen slightly less left idpol than altright, but there both still the minority

Reading this thread gave me an idea - how about mod-monitored idea threads in which people read up on the most popular topics (OP posts a list of possible advance topics, people in thread name which ones are most relevant, in descending order) and a few days later a mod creates a thread for discussion of the most popular topic? This is then heavily monitored to keep out shitposters to make way for deeper topic discussion. Any threads created on the topic between the poll thread and the discussion one are deleted.

The basic idea is to have a system which organically pushes people towards looking deeper into a topic. We could have multiple threads on the level of the Soviet Cybernetics one by virtue of both consciously choosing stuff outside of what normally gets posted about and giving people a waiting period to do cursory reading to be ready for discussion.

Only downside which I can think of is that it might give mods too much power to control the discourse in the long run. How do we decide which topics are in the selection pool?

This is the core problem with Holla Forums.
When people have that attitude it makes it very, very easy to wreck threads just by derailing them into arguments about idpol.

kys anglotard

Just make it possible for an OP who delivers a good informing post with explanations and literature links on a special topic to request that mods delete offtopic posts and shitflinging. If OP doesnt ask mods will do as usual.

You think the mods give a fuck about shitposts? They have proven time and time again that they have zero interest in enforcing even the most basic standards of discourse on this board. Hell, at least a couple of them are reddit-tier identarians anyway, so they'd probably just end up banning more people for transphobia if they tried.

I dont really want more mod action all across the board, I doubt they would help. But in specific threads some help to maintain ontopic discussion would be great.

Whenever mods start deleting posts the autists get their dander up, complaining about readability and censorship and shit.

did anyone archive that shit?

>>>/reddit/

Holla Forums is just /r/the_donald now, and a lot of the "anti-authoritarians" here are authoritarians who think they're anarchists.

bait/10

My point is what we need a system for consistently creating quality threads on new topics, not that we need harsher moderation. Do you have any suggestions? You're what OP is criticizing tbqh.

so?
Also why the fuck are you here? Somehow I doubt that you're an above average poster. here. Criticism of this board is generally more well-received when it accompanies actually good insights.

forgot to sage

But if people don't whine about grammar then the second language speakers are not going to learn the proper way to write.
Whining about grammar it's actually helpful in this context.

The nazbol memes are far too silly for anyone to take seriously. If anything, they are the ideal imageboard shitposters. They have no code of morality associated with their ideology, which differentiates them from the ironic nazi shitposters of old Holla Forums. They offend all manner of easily offended individuals. They are not surrounded by people who spout the same memes that they do. The anarchists and marxists outnumber them significantly. They are harmless fun.

I have to say, the "X is NAZBOL" gets me every time I see one.

as it is everywhere

I hope youre right cause I do find them very funny tbh and theyre a great parody of leftist sectarianism I'm just afraid "fascist with soviet aesthetic" could catch on sincerely with recent Holla Forums converts