Daily News Thread 5/4

GOP Sets Do-Or-Die Vote to Deliver on Obamacare Repeal Promise

Seven years of Republican promises to replace Obamacare will be kept alive or dealt a potential death blow Thursday in a dramatic House vote on an embattled health bill, with big political risks for President Donald Trump and Speaker Paul Ryan.
~Healthcare vote will take place at about 1:15 p.m~
bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-04/gop-sets-do-or-die-vote-to-deliver-on-obamacare-repeal-promise

Prince Philip to step down from carrying out royal engagements

The Duke of Edinburgh is retiring from royal duties this autumn, Buckingham Palace has announced.
bbc.com/news/uk-39802636

US troops could be ‘accidentally’ hit in strikes against Kurdish militants – Erdogan adviser

A senior aide to Turkish President Erdogan has stated that US forces in Syria could be “accidentally” hit by Turkish rockets alongside Kurdish militants, stating that Ankara won't hold back a strike against PKK militia just because US troops are present.
rt.com/news/387119-turkey-strikes-kurdish-us/

US faces ‘nationwide drinking water crisis,’ 77mn exposed to unsafe water in 2015 – study

Up to 77 million Americans were serviced in 2015 by unsafe drinking water systems, with 18 million people exposed to excessive levels of lead and copper, a new study found, adding that penalties for violations are “virtually nonexistent.”
rt.com/usa/387103-drinking-water-crisis-nationwide/

Russia, Iran, Turkey sign agreement on creation of Syria safe zones

Ceasefire guarantor states Russia, Iran and Turkey have adopted a memorandum on the creation of four security zones in Syria, during peace talks in the Kazakh capital of Astana.
rt.com/news/387105-syria-talks-safe-zones/

‘Praise God it’s not Russia this time!’ Embassy trolls May over Brussels election meddling claim

The Russian Embassy in London used Theresa May’s claim that Brussels is interfering in the British general election as an opportunity for some gentle twitter trolling that was too good to miss.
rt.com/uk/387122-theresa-may-russia-elections/

EU ‘shocked’ British govt ‘believes its own propaganda’ – former Polish foreign minister

Former Polish Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski said the most “shocking” thing for the EU is that the British government solidly believes “its own propaganda.”
rt.com/uk/387094-brexit-propaganda-sikorski-eu/

U.S. coaxes Mexico into Trump plan to overhaul Central America

The United States is plotting an ambitious attempt to shore up Central America, with the administration of President Donald Trump pressing Mexico to do more to stem the flow of migrants fleeing violence and poverty in the region, U.S. and Mexican officials say.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-central-america-idUSKBN1800E4

Wild dolphins' immune systems are failing because of ocean pollution

The mammals are starting to carry diseases that could be passed to humans.
ibtimes.co.uk/wild-dolphins-immune-systems-are-failing-because-ocean-pollution-1619830

Digital Economy Act: UK Police Can Now Disable Phones, Even if Users Don't Commit a Crime

Officers can now pre-empt offences and penalise members of the public when they haven't actually done anything wrong.
independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/digital-economy-act-uk-police-disable-phones-before-crime-users-privacy-snooping-charter-a7717126.html

‘Phi Phi shrimp’: China says it won’t name new aircraft carrier after online poll winner

China’s latest naval masterpiece has gained online attention lately, and not just because of a recent Photoshop fail. Netizens have come up with a poll to choose an ‘appropriate’ name for the vessel.
rt.com/news/387125-china-warship-nickname-memes/

Other urls found in this thread:

theintercept.com/2017/05/02/nypd-refuses-to-disclose-information-about-its-face-recognition-program-so-privacy-researchers-are-suing/
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-04/why-the-retail-crisis-could-be-coming-to-american-groceries
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-04/in-scorpion-room-auditor-gets-scant-look-at-drug-contracts
boingboing.net/2017/05/04/lalala-i-cant-hear-you.html
boingboing.net/2017/05/04/personal-responsibility.html
theintercept.com/2017/05/04/how-much-does-a-politician-cost-a-groundbreaking-study-reveals-the-influence-of-money-in-politics/
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39809168
rt.com/usa/386858-monsanto-hired-trolls-court/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS#.WQnS8SeGFp8.reddit
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP/ED

NYPD REFUSES TO DISCLOSE INFORMATION ABOUT ITS FACE RECOGNITION PROGRAM, SO PRIVACY RESEARCHERS ARE SUING

theintercept.com/2017/05/02/nypd-refuses-to-disclose-information-about-its-face-recognition-program-so-privacy-researchers-are-suing/

Why the Retail Crisis Could Be Coming to American Groceries

The American grocery store has so far been mostly immune to the ravages of online shopping and the all around apocalyptic outlook facing the nation's retailers. But a war is coming to the staid supermarket, and that could mean more consolidation, bankruptcies, and falling prices.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-04/why-the-retail-crisis-could-be-coming-to-american-groceries

Inside the ‘Scorpion Room’ Where Drug Price Secrets Are Guarded

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-04/in-scorpion-room-auditor-gets-scant-look-at-drug-contracts

Mobile phone security's been busted for years, and now 2-factor auth is busted too

The SS7 vulnerability has long been understood and publicized: anyone who spends $1000 or so for a mobile data roaming license can use the SS7 protocol to tell your phone company that your phone just showed up on their network and hijack all the traffic destined for your phone, including those handy SMSes used to verify sketchy attempts to log into your bank account and steal all your money.
boingboing.net/2017/05/04/lalala-i-cant-hear-you.html

The new Republican health care bill classes rape, PTSD, and domestic abuse as excludable pre-existing conditions

Under The American Health Care Act – presently the subject of a full-court press by House Republicans – insurance companies will be allowed to discriminate against customers who have "pre-existing conditions," refusing to pay for problems stemming from them.
boingboing.net/2017/05/04/personal-responsibility.html

How Much Does a Politician Cost? A Groundbreaking Study Reveals the Influence of Money in Politics.

An ingenious new Roosevelt Institute study on the influence of money on politics.
theintercept.com/2017/05/04/how-much-does-a-politician-cost-a-groundbreaking-study-reveals-the-influence-of-money-in-politics/

Is it bad I almost want this to happen so the U.S. will stop fucking with Turkey?

No, but for the wrong reasons. Capitalist nations fighting among themselves is not a thing that should be avoided.

In fact, US-Turkey war would've been a good thing (as it would've destabilized both US and Turkey), except for all those civilian deaths.

This happened at the Harrisburg mayoral debate yesterday

> It adds that users who commit a drug dealing offence, users “facilitating the commission by the user or another person” of a drug dealing offence and users “likely to facilitate the commission by the user or another person of a drug dealing offence (whether or not an offence is committed)” can be targeted by officers.
Glorious. Police no longer needs to invent bullshit stories about being unknowing accomplice, it is enough that there is a possibility of being such.

I think we can finally reached time when modern law is too hardcore even for Judge Dredd.

I always meant to ask, what does "OP/ED" mean?

Opinion/editorial?

Opening/Ending if you're a weeaboo

Opinion/Editorial otherwise.

Top lel

just googled this guy and he's pretty based.

Cop literally got fired and sent to prison for kicking this kid while he was handcuffed. He'll probably be laughed off because he's goofy as fuck but he seems to mean well.

what late stage capitalist hell is this

and on top of all that, like said, congress is more than likely going to be exempt

a fucking ramp

Trump scores healthcare victory in House

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39809168

Sweet jesus I wonder if any country will let me claim asylum.

what the fuck is wrong with the UK

Quite simply, England is a third world country.

t*rks deserve it.

No idea, never been able to figure out what makes Brits simultaneously think they're cynical wits while in reality being gullible retards.

This makes Posadas very sad.

They still think they've got an empire.

the british (really the english) like being dominated and threatened. they're cowards

Now now, we're American in mind but not in infrastructure.

Yeah, do you think all the cognitive dissonance comes from that one point though?

2sad4me

At least the Americans are embarrassed of their totalitarian surveilance state.

What "sectarian language" are they talking about in the fourth pic? Like, anti-catholic or anti-protestant slurs? It's true it's terrible especially in Northern Ireland but why would that land anyone in jail?

Anyway, are you sure that poster in the fifth pic is real? Looks like satire to me. What graphic designer working for public transport PR would go out of his way to create an Art Deco poster in this day and age — and manage to have it approved nonetheless?

I don't know but there's another photo. call them both fake if you will

I'm an American with English citizenship through my mother. I have never been to a place more wretched and delusional about their wretchedness than England. They are a nation, a people, an idea in decline.

I do. England vaguely does consider itself American. It's uncanny. I'm from New York, and those two words mean a lot to a lot of the world, more than you might initially figure. In England though, they're an incantation. They feel a link to Manhattan through London (which is not, and never really was England, even in a legal and administrative sense this is true), and consider the whole country to be the same level of influential, through valorization of their dead history and dying media.

I think that one was created by an anti-surveillance campaign. I remember discussing it before some years ago.

No more than the Brits. Maybe less.

Our health care system is world class. I'll admit that's the only thing stopping us being America. I'm English with British citizenship through a great misfortune of random chance, and you're right about them being delusional in how awful they are.
Only in the sense of being a superpower. They look down on Americans for having basically all of their negative traits and not having a posh accent.

Wrong, unfortunately. was poorly received at the time and was meant to invoke Orwell, but obviously it's not something you want to try and slide in with "it's just a prank bro" with the Brits.

The system was world class and is dying. Remember that ever since the Health Act trusts have no obligation to provide care.

Privatizations are coming, trust me.

I'm not sure where in England you're from, but it's not just in this sense. There is a real cultural affinity for America in England, an unrealized yearning of what might have been. It's part and parcel of America's global cultural hegemony, but I find it particularly acute in the parts of England I've spent most of my time in (the North, Liverpool, Merseyside).

And the hip English people who know what's up acknowledge it and agree with me.

I swear to god he had the world's largest erection when I looked at that pic a second ago

Fuck it. Just fuck it.

xD animal abuse

Monsanto accused of hiring army of trolls to silence online dissent – court papers

Biotech giant Monsanto is being accused of hiring, through third parties, an army of Internet trolls to counter negative comments, while citing positive “ghost-written” pseudo-scientific reports which downplay the potential risks of their products.
rt.com/usa/386858-monsanto-hired-trolls-court/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS#.WQnS8SeGFp8.reddit

The American farmer will never wake up and throw off the yoke.

burgerclap here, it's not just bongs with that problem. Most of people in my part of bugerland regurgitate the same limpdicked non-arguments they hear on the news or give an empty-eyed look that the Alegs Jons set call the Floride Stare when I bring up the fact that we don't live in a free country, that they don't own their Steam library, that their phones record them and so on and so on. That or try to say I'm depressed. In another couple generations, humanity will be completely domesticated.

he's a verified qt.

i'm laughing like a maniac just thinking about the truth value of this statement