Off Topic Thread

Wanted to post a question about something, but since it doesn't really have anything to do with lefty politics, and every other board is a Holla Forums colony, I thought I'd just make an off-topic thread, so feel free to post about whatever.

What's the deal with the "manic pixie dream girl" and why do people get so upset over it? I get that it's total wish fulfillment, but this is a romance trope and fucking everything in the romance genre is fucking wish fulfillment. Someone linked this video youtu.be/KJjJfE_QNMY and this bitch seems genuinely pissed off about it. This is doubly absurd because this character type is a total fiction, a sort of physical manifestation of the dreams and desires of the intended bored, alienated male audience it's intended for. She might as well be whining about elves.

I don't know how prevalent that character was in past decades, but I'd assume this is just a reaction after using it too much. What else, because it doesn't reflect reality but gives a weird representation of reality, it could fool the likes of /r9k/ to extend their autism and expectations into the real world.

Something something Spectacle

Because it reduces women to this "romance trope". The reason is gets more attention than other romance tropes is because this one is targeted at a group of women who are able and eager to express their dislike of romance tropes.

I've seen multiple posters across various boards look for ways to "get the punk/edgy/artistic/w-e" girl. When someone sees the MPDG in you, you are negated, you become an abstraction used only for pleasure. I'd be (and am) upset too, if part of my identity was so used.

Possibly because they identify as that type of person and it's personal when she acts as shallow wish fulfillment. Or possibly because they're a perfect ideal that certain women become frustrated that they can't achieve or that they're expected to.

Most romances reduces one or both characters to a trope.
Most people are only seen as abstractions and ideas, not as actual individuals.

What I don't get is why there isn't more of a call to simply end the stupid, unnecessary romance shit. Ultimately the vast majority of romance subplots are tumors on the main plot and the best you can hope for is that they don't become malignant. You shouldn't polish the tumor, you should ask for its removal.

Maybe Sjws should stop paying attention to mass media and read more books instead.

Does anybody else struggles with alcohol a bit? I used to buy beer to make playing videogames in the evening more fun and immersive, but now I feel I can't stop buying booze and getting drunk every evening because my life is so shit that I rather run away from my problems and sedate myself.

I get massive hangovers so I can't drink every day, but almost every second day.

Maybe you should stop paying attention to Holla Forums jpegs and read some more books, assuming you haven't burnt all yours already

i think everyone struggles with substance abuse at some point.i was drinking till i lost consciousness for months on end for a while there

I can't afford to get drunk every night :\

In my country quality beer costs 60 cents and a bottle of booze 4€.

Being a German has its perks.

4€ gets me one bottle of quality/decent beer in stores, not even a 0,4 liters of piss beer at a pub.

Are you Australian?

In Germany you can get 0,5l beer for 20 Cents which is still processed under the German Purity Law and probably better than most beers on an international level. In fact, beer here is cheaper than water.

Australian? I always imagined beer was cheap in Australia, seeing as it's the only thing they drink.

I'm Norwegian.

I wish there were more manix pixie dream girls tbh

Fuck that traditional submissive shit, women better be assertive and chasing my dick

But that's basically the whole romance genre. Men hardly escape this treatment. If you went off of romance novels, there's apparently a whole army of Greek and Spanish millionaires waiting to sweep bored, middle-aged American white women off their feet, and you get hit romance novels like the Twilight series where both of the male love interests (hell, most of the fucking cast outside of the antagonists) don't seem to have any lives, personality or desires beyond pleasing Bella.

But that's the whole thing. Romance is basically Shallow Wish Fulfillment: The Genre. That's basically the whole appeal.

This is, unfortunately, fairly common on both sides of the fence.

I'm not sure this is right. It seems to me the pixie is more about saving the protagonist than pandering to some fetish. People feel lost in this world, and are looking for some external force to save them from a misery they aren't able to escape on their own. In this way an enormous power and responsibility is given to the pixie.
Completely different than just wanting to fuck a girl with pink hair.

Ive started JoJo (just finished battle tendency) what do you folks think about it?

why do her tits shrink?

Why not take this to /leftytrash/?

escapism to the highest degree, amazing, self-aware, didn't like part 4 and I'm not interested in the manga.

part 3 and part 2 are the best, so you have something to look forward to.

Malnourishment. It's hard to gather food from your armchair.

I agree, it is just a romance trope, but the problem is that (at least in my experience, and judging by that poetry slam, in the experience of many others) this romance trope gets applied in real life to real people, and not just housewives who are likely to grin and bear it, but young women who don't want to submit to it. The difference when applying these tropes to men is that women still don't pose any threat to men, real or imagined, so most men ignore them. Also I think that the male tropes are so far removed from reality that men don't identify with them and so are not threatened by them (see pic).

Yes, the "fetish" (I don't know this word thoroughly) is that the modern, lost male looks for an external force to save him, which takes the form of this girl with the pink hair. Listen to the OP poem, it's not just about sex.

OP, you're initial post has more well formed thought than that put into her whole spiel.

I was a bit of a habitual drinker, but never addicted. From what I gather, what one has to do is replace it with something fulfilling and avoid situations, people, places and activities that encourage or even simply remind one to drink. If you have sober friends (I have 2 friends, but they both live far away) then they can help you out and encourage you.

Did you make me click on slam poetry? ffs.

We kinda already have leftytrash for it.

About your question, it's just a shitty cliche to be avoided, but SJWs and nufeminists get bent out of shape over it because of reasons you can guess.

Having known a few people who go for the "goth chick at the game shop" type girl, the appeal is usually the perception that they are also social outcasts or exist on a similar cultural fringe (for nerdy spergs) and thus will be less judgemental and/or may have similar interests and a higher degree of emotional compatibility.

I've never met a man who went for those types of girls because they thought they were going to be living romance cliches. Methinks this might be a major case of projecting because I do know a lot of women that are disappointed that real men are nothing like men from romance novels

There are some trade schools around here and I'm thinking of taking welding or building mantience. I'm working at Walmart almost full time but live with my parents, so I could afford to work only part time. I will have a true prole career , but I still feel like shit for failing school and at the same time guilty for being dissapointed that I didn't get my "dream job". Yet deep down I still feel as if I am "meant" for greater things than this simple working class job despite my political leanings. I feel like a hypocrit and a failure.

DuckDuckGo Lacan

I get drunk almost everyday, but there's no struggle with it, my only struggle is how to acquire more of it.
What you do while drinking? That's a more interesting question.

Commies hate sexy women and prefer scrawny faggots.

Aside from being trash, popular romance fiction is poison. I don't know what it is about it, whether it's the Fifty Shades of Twilight and the Sorcerer's Stone or weeb harem trash (which seems exponentially more cancerous and wish-fulfillmenty than it used to be), but romance just seems to turn people's brains to shit. Or maybe they're already so alienated that they turn to this stuff to make up for their IRL romantic shortcomings, I don't know. Like, there's nothing wrong with trash fiction itself, but it seems like across the industry it really promotes delusional bordering on insane degrees of idealization.

i dated a manic pixie girl.
Here is my story:

>be me: a skelly trot just like muke but living in south Europe
>i was happy with having a friend but avoided showing any feelings for her because i didn't want to get heartbroken feels bad
>feels even worst
>rubs her booty in my crouch
>few days later we did lewd stuff couldn't control my virgin feels
>i start to like her no bueno
>being with her gave me anxiety and wanting to do self-harm. because she was breaking up with me and then, a few days later, calling me to get back together and do lewd stuff
>we continue to do lewd stuff all the time
>one day i just get bored while doing lewd stuff, since she doesn't have any feeling for me except loving my benis
>she gets a new bf and we continue to hang out just as friends no more lewd stuff

4 years later, when i got a new gf, i told her to fuck off and never talk to me again
it took me 4 years to get the guts to do it

Moral of the story: never date a manic pixie girl, you will feel bad fellow anons

my condolences user

props to you for getting to the other side of that a better person. emotional abuse isn't ok.

i was able to overcome it but i wasted 2 years of college because of that, now I'm back at it with good grades and a new gf (she is a ML)
feels good again

I'm happy to know that somewhere in Southern Europe there is a Trot and an ML as a couple.
Good on you comrade I'm glad it's going well.

I'm not a trot any more, I've become an anarchist who likes Malatesta

I guess you win some, you lose some

hahah jokes aside, good on you for it. onwards and upwards my dude.

Better be careful user. I suggest you take a step back and try to put yourself in her perspective to truly understand why she picked you ;^)

Mastering a profession will do you good comrade.

Everyone wants to be an astronaut when they grow up but somebody's got to build the rocket.

this

nice meme