Although the internet could be a liberating tool for the masses with free access to all knowledge and art that has ever...

Although the internet could be a liberating tool for the masses with free access to all knowledge and art that has ever existed, it is not. With copyright, the majority of books, movies and music can only be accessed by paying. As the the real movement which seeks to abolish the present state of things, communism must express its opposition to copyright.

Other urls found in this thread:

bestvpn.com/blog/5888/tor-vs-vpn/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You think we don't?

No I just wanted a discussion about copyright :^)

I think copyrights should exist but it should be about giving credit for original creators instead of about preventing innovation from others. The closest to this is Creative Commons.

Yeah perhaps. But access to media should definitely not be limited

someone in another thread mentioned how free software is a sign of early communism in late capitalism

That was me in the Dauve-ish thread:

What is the point of making this piece of shit thread if you don't put an actual question to discuss you cocksucking faggot?

If i come up with an invention, wouldn't it be exploitative to not let me profit off it being that it is my creation. What right has the commune to alienate me from the product of my intellectual labor?

not actually ancrap
just playing advocate for the devil to get OP thread up and running ;^)

I get you had a great day

What product? If we end the historic cycle of capital, there is no product that comes from your intellectual labor other than your own satisfaction. The satisfaction of mastering and creating an art, of making a scientific discovery to help change the world, contributing to philosophy and the way we see the world, etc. Intellectual labor has no material output, only intellectual output.

Not to mention that copyright only exists under capitalism so that an intellectual won't starve and can acquire the tools he needs. After capitalism, these will not be a problem.

Copyright as it exists today only serves the purpose of furthering the existence of thuggish organizations that are supposed to protect intellectual property and end up just enforcing protection money on creative people. Like one of pic related faggots' inspector, who crashed a kids school party because he heard music from the street and wanted his "copyright money" because music was being played in public. He made national news and they had to apologize, but that only happens every so often.

Nobody likes these twats and yet they continue to exist (in a monopoly, no less) because muh rights.

no

The majority of people know how to pirate stuff.
The masses don't access all knowledge because they don't care about knowledge. In fact when presented knowledge that goes against their stupid spooks pre-conceived vision of the world their instant reaction it's to reject it and to vilify knowledge altogether. This is specially true for conservative/religious people which unfortunately are still (and will probably forever be) the majority of people.

People want music tho. And there's plenty of knowledge that, if it was public, would be far more popular

Every time I see elitism on this Bhutanese papier-mache forum I can't help but laugh. What possible justification does an asshole nerd like you have to shit on the rest of the human race?

Related:

It should exist, but be severely weakened.

The current system stifles innovation by allowing someone to make money off a single piece of work indefinitely. That is basically welfare.

Fuck this $30K and up lawsuit shit. This shit is pushed by rich assholes like Metallica or Gene Simmons- men who are already wealthy and aren't suffering in the least.

This system would still allow massive fines against large-scale pirates, but end this garbage of putting people into the poor house over one song.

Many of those groups are almost mob organizations, making money off the work of others and bullying people into joining them.

However, actual enforcement should be automatic, and not dependent on how much money one side has for legal fees. Big companies shouldn't be allowed to rip off small people. A big example is what Hasbro & Christy Marx did to the 80s punk band Misfits around 1985, stealing the band's name for a fake band in a cartoon. The band sent a C&D but Hasbro found ways to ignore it. Shit like that should not happen.

What are good arguments against:

I GOT A BONE TO PICK WITH CAPITALISM, AND A FEW TO BREAK

Why? They're not physical and therefor they can be replicated. It's not like with your house where if someone takes it you no longer have your house. You still have your content if someone copies it.
WRONG
in capitalism
in capitalism. if people who made movies didn't rely on making money from their movies in order to survive and to make more movies, they would continue to making movies. people make movies for passion not for profit
in capitalism. see my above response

Would it be wise to use a VPN?

Profit is inherently exploitive

Yes. Also consider using TOR: bestvpn.com/blog/5888/tor-vs-vpn/

What bro?

what

What should be popular is not.
Public knowledge is more like a black puddle on the floor of beliefs than a container of clear actual facts, from what I see people spewing out.
It is all tailor made and cherry picked for us to say fuck it.
It's not going to change.

Do you even copy left, bro? Lefty Youtubers should be uploading all their videos with the copyleft license. Its the most obvious choice.

I think I can speak for all of the original copyright holders that are getting their ad revenue taken away from some fucking 14 year old named HOTTEEN2013 on utube with 1.5m views on a song that was made 10 years before the kid uploaded it.

Why not BY-NC-SA. It's the same as copyleft but it can only be used for non-profit uses

Probably the most selfish thing I've read all day.

How do I get over my childish desires for control?

On the one hand I'm completely against copyright, but on the other I like the idea of restricting how others can use things I've created - not for monetary reasons, but to stop them fucking things up.
Like, if I make a comic it just holds some inherent appeal to say "No, you, you're a cunt. You don't get to make fan-art to boost your popularity"

I understand it has no practical bearing because anything I created that got popular would have 16 cocks drawn inside on imageboards where I'd be powerless to stop it anyway, but it's still an inherent sort of emotional response.

I'm not very creative but even you're smart enough to know one has to protect one's best interests.
Now, how many cocks will it take before you realize those cocks are going to someone else?
They will be the holders of the giant cock empire you helped erect.
Doesn't that just flick your beans?
I would be so pissed off I'd probably be here complaining about it.

Profit is inherently exploitative

Fact.

Copyright sharing is totally an option but that is a practice for the lawyers have a song they made for it, "$".
Can't have both in today's society without a reason to do it everyday.
Free knowledge and we just cut balls off of men and women bear till their bones break?
Or by Freeing the knowledge, by flooding the people we are trying to reach with everything we have and are willing to give without cost or consequence with little or nothing in return without guarantee?
Copyrights secure a solid standing.
If you can't protect what is yours then you will have a big swollen fucked nothing.

Hotteen 2013 is giving you free advertising and exposure. Don't be afraid to take the leap. Information is become my more and more free by any means necessary. Piracy is communist. If you're really worried about money start a patreon. Advertising is corrosive.

This is copy left. You pick your own restrictions. I think when it comes to copyleft we need to be ideologically consistent. It allows for a free flow of information. Whether you're a memer (such as myself) or a serious content creator.
This is P U R E I D E O L O G Y

I'm pretty sure someone looked up HOTTEEN and if it doesn't exist, it does now..
But even then I'm not really like even looking for those numbers, It's actually frustrating explaining how copyrights DO work and they still don't for those that expect these things to do.
I can totally dig the free content as long as it is FREE BASED material, but when they start making accounts and trying to scrape the sides of the bucket it really gets personal I guess.. damn..>>1604962
Fucking dicks…

All we are going to say here is, "kill it with fire."

Artists and inventors do not even receive the procedes from their creations. Their investors get it, or some fucking thieves like Disney flat out steal it.

But they DO recieve what is owed to them.
In the thin blood they agreed with in the fine print that was processed by the same people that make the rules.
I think this thread needs some very fine print.

Fuck, hold on, forgot the god damn captcha…

Yes my brothers! information is free! as free as the word "FREE" is, a word made by a man, that would never last as long as what he says..
We are as free as our breath smeels like the shit we lay next to it because it is ours..

Their struggle makes me feel like we have a bigger burden on our hands. I don't need you to agree with what I see, but rather find a better understanding to allow more of what we cant meet on half way so everyone is on the same page for now.
Conflict of interest shows is the law literature that supersedes what any one that thinks should hold anything personal should feel mandated to give up all rights to individualism without thinking twice.
Is this independent ideology or unbiased smart marketing?
Or a bunch of smart assholes that know how to say what they want without offending anyone and still achieving a goal, even if it is just one every time they do?

Do the guys who make TOR not discourage torrenting over it? It slows down the entire network really quickly.

Literature, science, and art must be cultivated by free men. Only on this condition will they succeed in emancipating themselves from the yoke of the State, of Capital, and of the bourgeois mediocrity which stifles them.

What means has the scientist of to-day to make researches that interest him? Should he ask help of the State, which can only be given to one candidate in a hundred, and which only he may obtain who promises ostensibly to keep to the beatentrack? Let us remember how the Academy of Sciences of France repudiated Darwin, how the Academy of St. Petersburg treated Mendeléeff with contempt, and how the Royal Society of London refused to publish Joule's paper, in which he determined the mechanical equivalent of heat, finding it "unscientific."

It was why all great researches, all discoveries revolutionizing science, have been made outside academies and universities, either by men rich enough to remain independent, like Darwin and Lyell, or by men who undermined their health by working in poverty, and often in great straits, losing endless time for want of a laboratory, and unable to procure the instruments or books necessary to continue their researches, but persevering against hope, and often dying before they had reached the end in view. Their name is legion.

We may say the same about inventors, that we have said of scientists. Who does not know what sufferings nearly all great inventions have cost? Sleepless nights, families deprived of bread, want of tools and materials for experiments, this is the history of nearly all those who have enriched industry with inventions which are the truly legitimate pride of our civilization.

But what are we to do to alter the conditions that everybody is convinced are bad? Patents have been tried, and we know with what results. The inventor sells his patent for a few pounds, and the man who has only lent the capital pockets the enormous profits often resulting from the invention. Besides, patents isolate the inventor. They compel him to keep secret his researches which therefore end in failure; whereas the simplest suggestion, coming from a brain less absorbed in the fundamental idea, sometimes suffices to fertilize the invention and make it practical. Like all State control, patents hamper the progress of industry. Thought being incapable of being patented, patents are a crying injustice in theory, and in practice they result in one of the great obstacles to the rapid development of invention.

What is needed to promote the spirit of invention is, first of all, the awakening of thought, the boldness of conception, which our entire education causes to languish; it is the spreading of a scientific education, which would increase the number of inquirers a hundredfold; it is faith that humanity is going to take a step forward, because it is enthusiasm, the hope of[Pg 105] doing good, that has inspired all the great inventors. The Social Revolution alone can give this impulse to thought, this boldness, this knowledge, this conviction of working for all.

Then we shall have vast institutes supplied with motor-power and tools of all sorts, immense industrial laboratories open to all inquirers, where men will be able to work out their dreams, after having acquitted themselves of their duty towards society; machinery palaces where they will spend their five or six hours of leisure; where they will make their experiments; where they will find other comrades, experts in other branches of industry, likewise coming to study some difficult problem, and therefore able to help and enlighten each other,—the encounter of their ideas and experience causing the longed-for solution to be found. And yet again, this is no dream. Solanóy Gorodók, in Petersburg, has already partially realized it as regards technical matters. It is a factory well furnished with tools and free to all; tools and motor-power are supplied gratis, only metals and wood are charged for at cost price. Unfortunately workmen only go there at night when worn out by ten hours' labour in the workshop. Moreover, they carefully hide their inventions from each other, as they are hampered by patents and Capitalism—that bane of present society, that stumbling-block in the path of intellectual and moral progress.

Is this from the Conquest of Bread?

Yeah

I thought so. Seemed familiar.