Daily News Thread 3/16

Far-Right Dutch party loses election, but populist tide in Europe is not slowing down

The outpouring of relief from the European political establishment that Geert Wilders did not come first in the Dutch general election is a clear measure of current anxiety-levels among the continent’s ruling elite.
telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/16/far-right-dutch-party-loses-election-populist-tide-europe-not/

Tillerson Tells North Korea It Has Nothing to Fear From U.S.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that North Korea has nothing to fear from the U.S. or its allies in the region while calling for a new approach to efforts to dismantle the nation’s nuclear program.
bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-16/tillerson-says-north-korea-has-nothing-to-fear-from-u-s-allies-j0c2ihob

French school shooting: eight injured after student armed with grenades and guns opens fire

A 17-year student has been arrested after opening fire in an A-level college in Grasse on the French Riviera, injuring eight and prompting the government to issue a terror warning.
telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/16/several-injured-shooting-french-secondary-school/

Military wins in first Trump budget; environment, aid lose big

President Donald Trump will ask the U.S. Congress for dramatic cuts to many federal programs as he seeks to bulk up defense spending, start building a wall on the border with Mexico and spend more money deporting illegal immigrants.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-budget-idUSKBN16M1DO

‘Wars of religion will start in Europe’ – Turkish FM

Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has warned that Europe is headed for “wars of religion,” claiming Dutch politicians are taking the continent “to a cliff.” The statement comes amid a bitter dispute between the two countries.
rt.com/news/380970-europe-religion-wars-turkey/

Parcel explosion at IMF's Paris office wounds employee

'Homemade device' goes off at world lender's office in French capital, wounding one staff after opening package.
aljazeera.com/news/2017/03/parcel-exlosion-imf-paris-office-wounds-employee-170316131122671.html

UN report: Israel has established an 'apartheid regime'

Report breaks new ground on the UN's examination of the situation in occupied Palestine by using the word 'apartheid'.
aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/03/report-israel-established-apartheid-regime-170315054053798.html

U.S. Says No Charges to Be Filed Against New York Mayor De Blasio

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio and his aides won’t face corruption charges based on pay-for-play allegations, according to acting U.S. Attorney Joon Kim.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-16/u-s-says-no-charges-to-be-filed-against-n-y-mayor-de-blasio

​Portland Anarchists Are Rebelling Against the Lazy Government by Fixing Roads

When radical left-wing politics meets civic responsibility.
vice.com/en_us/article/portland-anarchists-are-rebelling-against-the-lazy-government-by-fixing-roads

‘Pizzagate’ gunman facing 35yrs in prison gets plea deal

A North Carolina man charged with firing an assault rifle inside Comet Ping Pong, a pizza restaurant in Washington, DC — targeted by Pizzagate conspiracy theorists — is expected to plead guilty after reaching a plea deal with federal prosecutors.
rt.com/usa/380919-pizzagate-gunman-plea-deal/

Other urls found in this thread:

rt.com/op-edge/380869-six-years-syria-america/
versobooks.com/blogs/3138
theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/a-sleeping-giant-awakens-on-campus/519594/?utm_source=feed
versobooks.com/blogs/3136
rt.com/op-edge/380851-us-national-debt-raise/
thenation.com/article/democrats-need-to-understand-why-the-rust-belts-white-workers-still-support-trump/
projects.propublica.org/colleges/
counterpunch.org/2017/03/16/going-after-the-opiod-profiteers/
nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/15/us/politics/trump-budget-proposal.html?_r=0
zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-16/trump-releases-his-first-budget-blueprint-here-are-winners-and-losers
mobile.almasdarnews.com/article/houthi-fighters-shoot-saudi-helicopter/
vice.com/en_us/article/portland-anarchists-are-rebelling-against-the-lazy-government-by-fixing-roads
imdb.com/name/nm2625901/
rt.com/usa/380919-pizzagate-gunman-plea-deal/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP/ED

Looking back: Six years of American hell-raising in Syria

The Syrian people, who have demonstrated remarkable courage and perseverance in the face of formidable challenges that would have crushed a lesser people, are forced to observe yet another bloodstained milestone they neither want nor deserve.
rt.com/op-edge/380869-six-years-syria-america/

"We have sixty years of harvest left"

"According to the UN Food and Agriculture organisation, we have sixty years of harvest left at current rates of soil loss and degradation… "
versobooks.com/blogs/3138

A Leftist and a Conservative Join Forces to Defend Free Speech

The sleeping giant of classical liberalism is awaking with a start, as if beset on all sides.
theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/a-sleeping-giant-awakens-on-campus/519594/?utm_source=feed

George Monbiot: Are Brexit and Trump Neoliberal?

“When society is broken then it is much more likely that a demagogic, extremist, anti-politics will fill that gap. And of course that is another product of neoliberalism, that atomisation of society”
versobooks.com/blogs/3136

Feeding the war machine: ‘Washington will lift debt ceiling to intervene in more countries’

The Democrats are going to vote against raising the debt ceiling, but enough Republicans are going to vote for it. They shouldn’t raise the debt ceiling, but they will, explains Lew Rockwell.
rt.com/op-edge/380851-us-national-debt-raise/

Democrats Need to Understand Why the Rust Belt’s White Workers Still Support Trump

D.D. Guttenplan on working-class Ohio, plus Katha Pollitt on abortion politics and Ari Berman on voting in Texas.
thenation.com/article/democrats-need-to-understand-why-the-rust-belts-white-workers-still-support-trump/

Updated Debt by Degrees

Use our interactive database to search federal data on almost 7,000 schools in the U.S. to see how well they support their poorest students financially. Now updated with data from the 2014-2015 academic year.
projects.propublica.org/colleges/

Going After the Opiod Profiteers

counterpunch.org/2017/03/16/going-after-the-opiod-profiteers/

Thanks newsanon
We really should just call neoliberalism by its name: capitalism. Its an illusion that we can return to some nice non neo liberal capitalism. Looking back its really bad that the left accepted neoliberalism instead of words like late stage capitalism or just capitalism.

nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/15/us/politics/trump-budget-proposal.html?_r=0

More Budget Stuff

zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-16/trump-releases-his-first-budget-blueprint-here-are-winners-and-losers

In a proposal with many losers, the Environmental Protection Agency and State Department stand out as targets for the biggest spending reductions. Funding would disappear altogether for 19 independent bodies that count on federal money for public broadcasting, the arts and regional issues from Alaska to Appalachia. Trump's budget outline is a bare-bones plan covering just "discretionary" spending for the 2018 fiscal year starting on Oct. 1. It is the first volley in what is expected to be an intense battle over spending in coming months in Congress, which holds the federal purse strings and seldom approves presidents' budget plans. Congress controlled by Trump's fellow Republicans, is likely to reject some or many of his proposed cuts with some republicans calling the budget "dead on arrival." Some of the proposed changes, which Democrats will broadly oppose, have been targeted for decades by conservative Republicans. Moderate Republicans have already expressed unease with potential cuts to popular domestic programs such as home-heating subsidies, clean-water projects and job training.

Trump wants to get rid of more than 50 EPA programs, end funding for former Democratic President Barack Obama's signature Clean Power Plan aimed at reducing carbon dioxide emissions, and cut renewable energy research programs at the Energy Department. Regional programs to clean up the Great Lakes and Chesapeake Bay would be sent to the chopping block. Community development grants at the Housing Department - around since 1974 - were cut in Trump's budget, along with more than 20 Education Department programs, including some funding program for before- and after- school programs. Anti-poverty grants and a program that helps poor people pay their energy bills would be slashed, as well as a Labor Department program that helps low-income seniors find work.

Internal Revenue Service would get a $239 million cut, despite Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin’s request for more funding. The Education Department would receive $1.4 billion to invest in public charter schools and private schools, even as its overall budget is cut by 14 percent. But other numbers appear to contradict some of Trump’s top priorities. One of his campaign pledges was to work to cure diseases, but the National Institutes of Health will reportedly see $5.8 billion slashed from its budget. Trump calls for a 13 percent cut to the Transportation Department, which would ostensibly play a big role in Trump’s promised infrastructure overhaul. That includes $500 million from the TIGER grant program, which provides funding for road and bridge projects.

Trump's rural base did not escape cuts. The White House proposed a 21 percent reduction to the Agriculture Department, cutting loans and grants for wastewater, reducing staff in county offices and ending a popular program that helps U.S. farmers donate crops for overseas food aid.

So they are openly admitting now that religion a shit? Cool.

Did you even read the article?
they're just being regular turkroaches and throwing everything against the dutch since they told Turkey that Turkey needed to deal with organizing the votes from Turks living in the Netherlands and prevented Turkish government officials from rabble rousing

Cutting the IRS further is suicide. They already can barely keep up with just correcting problems with people's tax refunds, and with any more cuts they are going to lose the ability to process returns. It will completely fuck taxpayers over. Of course, rich fucks do not particularly mind, because this also means that the IRS will be completely incapable of investigating tax fraud.

Reminder that animu pics make anything 100% less relevant.

finally you posted something good

another coup is so badly needed

– Fourier

idc about the game, never played it
I do know that Ahri makes my dick hard though

Capitalism fucks things up in way you didn't even think it could.

Things like this is why I am avoiding imageboards and the internet more and more.
I kinda miss those self-care treads

Thats if some of those lands don't get flooded first. What could we do to mitigate this? The only things i can think of is;
1)Reduce population/anti natalism
2)reduce pollution and consumption
3)rotate usable lands
By rotating land i mean using other lands that are fertile, like reforesting depleted lands and de-foresting another, not all at the same time of course. I'm sure we could find a solution.

Not using massive amounts of land to grow corn to then feed to cattle who use even more land that could grow food. This method of feeding the population, at least in America, means massive methane production which feeds global warming, deforestation in order to get more land for cattle, and massive waste of food since raising meat is extremely inefficient when compared to agriculture for human consumption.

We would be fine as a species if we didn't have an obsession with eating red meat for every meal of the day.

hell since most o fthe food we eat is stupidly processed use insect protein instead of animal protein. insects use way less food and water to grow per pound of meat.

Houthi fighters shoot down Saudi helicopter

Saudi Apache helicopter was shot down in Al-Hudaidah province by anti-aircraft machineguns operated by the Houthi rebels, sources confirmed.
mobile.almasdarnews.com/article/houthi-fighters-shoot-saudi-helicopter/

Just using more sustainable techniques, less meat production, better water managment, more crop diversity ect. should be possible. There are a lot of advancements in agro sciences that could help millions of african farmes to develop higher yields, better drought resistance, lower water usage and better soil conversation but there is no imidiate profit in it.

Knowing capitalism we will probably destroy our food base and then switch to indoor growing and lab meat that is under the control of giant corporations.

Lets wait for pics and vids

Oh my, this is just like the newspapers talking about trump twister and not the content of his policies.

Stop eating meat, it's literally all it would take.

Pretty much this

Not even all meat, just basically beef. And make pork and other medium-size animals more expensive to eat.

Chicken is pretty much my only vice here, how much damage would it do?

It's a special kind of depressing, knowing that there are legitimate and easy solutions to humanity's problem, but the system of capitalism holds it back so efficiently.

Thanks for the news, user.

Chicken is the least harmful of all.

As for beef, we'll have lab-grown burgers pretty soon. It'll be a nice substitute, probably taste better than the shit at McDonalds.

So basically cut out red meat/beef . Fucking amerifats can enjoy some crispy chicken burgers for their meals.

Didn't the Austrian fash had his election blatantly stolen?

To Iran I'll go…

never link to zerohedge again

His dad worked for the CIA too iirc. Also he decided to do this weeks (months?) after it became a thing right before the election. Like I have full confidence that if the pizza place was a child sex dungeon they'd at least be smart enough to get rid of the evidence once it starts getting reported everywhere.

what's that from?

Kantai Collection aka Kancolle

DOHOHOHO!!
HOW WILL THE BOURGEOIS STATE RECOVER FROM THIS ONE???

But what about muh cheese? How do I get pizza?

this really makes me angry thinking about this. We have ways of dealing with it as stated by these annons:

What the fuck is wrong with porkies. I am starting to actually believe that Bookchin was right and we just fucked ourselves. We should be trying to find a way to get a revolution going before we start seeing economic refugees.

Guess the US will find weapons of mass destruction in Portland and then mysteriously all of Portland will fall into ruin and it will be a cautionary tale on the dangers of anarchy.

Color me surprised.

Honestly just cutting red meat and maybe sticking to range fed chicken and eggs along with cheese is a massive improvement over the typical american diet. Also just eating less meat in general, like 2-3 times a week at most

source on these claims?

milk is obviously less harmful than raising a cow solely for slaughter. and we can probably also do more with goat cheese or something.

Goat cheese on pizza, would that work? Also, there's a huge population of ducks that people should be eating.

I had a bf who was vegetarian and ended up trying a lot of meat substitutes so I could cook for us both without having to cook every meal twice.

In the end I came to like them to the point that I preferred them to real meat and went vego myself out of simple preference.

Don't stop now, bitches. I have faith in you yet

Actor: imdb.com/name/nm2625901/
All the rest I said in is in the link in OP: rt.com/usa/380919-pizzagate-gunman-plea-deal/

And what substitutes would these be? I can't quite trust modern science to properly replace all meat nutrients.

is that actually true though?

No

I expected a super sayian transformation in that webm

I always appreciate how ambiguous "US and its allies in the region" is.

> thenation.com/article/democrats-need-to-understand-why-the-rust-belts-white-workers-still-support-trump/

Cucked

there is literally nothing cucked about that. Marx writes about a similar kind of humanism regarding alienation. And constant upward "class mobility" is boug delusion that obviously cannot be true for everyone. Discarding it is both correct and necessary.