God Emperor

Remember the last time when a far-right authoritarian nationalist world leader was referred to as "God-Emperor" by a fanatical cult following?

Other urls found in this thread:

groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rauch/worktime/hours_workweek.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah but I'm pretty sure the Japanese veneration of their royal family in Imperial Japan wasn't based on an ironic Warhammer 40k reference

*post-ironic

It's pretty worrying that the LDP, Far-right and Yakuza in Japan want to revive that cult.

*unsheathes katana*

The Allies shouldn't have let the royal family live imo

The emperor himself is completely against it. He is also anti-war, has openly pointed out the imperial family's and Japan's ties to Korea, and pushed for the right to abdicate. So despite all their emperor worship he continually shits on them. Honestly a surprisingly based guy considering his retarded position of status.

Also worth pointing out that even during imperial Japan the emperor was just a figurehead.

Yeah It's really funny that Akihito is the voice of reason in Japanese politics. It's true the emperor has pretty much always been a figurehead at least since the days the shogunate but it seems much of the world is heading in a nationalist direction with or without their monarch…

What if that's exactly what they wanted us to believe?

Actually have a thread about the emperor on /leftyweebpol/
>>>/leftyweebpol/311

>>>/tinfoil/

I can't wait for nationalists to dis honor him like how reactionary catholics dis honored the pope

Dayum! This is a god emperor I can get behind

What the fuck is this wild ride? Why was so much shit seemingly fabricated during the 19th century?

Liberals.

That was the century that capitalism became turbo-charged and conquered the entire planet. Hobsbawm used the term "invented tradition" to refer to this peculiar time of newly-invented spooks and post-revolutionary pseudo-traditionalism.

Not only was it laid-back, it was also deliberately inefficient to keep the feudal lords from ever becoming powerful. They built a deliberately retarded economic and social system that made it basically impossible to build a power base of your own. It was only once Perry sailed the Black Ships in that they realized the outside world was gonna come knocking and they had to get their shit together.

Even then, the whole Boshin War was actually waged by the local warlords to prevent Japan from modernizing and opening to foreigners centralizing power in an Imperial Court which was literally too retarded to actually govern. Said lords got cucked by Meiji and his faction who were smart enough to realize that they had to govern to survive and centralized the state/erected a conservative democracy to progressively neuter their own former supporters.

There's also that really strange bit where defeated Shogunate samurai actually created Asia's first republic as a relatively progressive entity in an effort to preserve their existence as a class and asked to serve as an imperial subject.

Japan was bizarre.

As for feudal work-ethics I was referring to this article on work in Europe >>1453904

groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rauch/worktime/hours_workweek.html

But if you got some sources on work in feudal Japan I'd also be interested in that

I was referring more to social structures, in which the feudal lords were obliged to spend half the year at court, maintain both castles and their away-homes along with staffs of servants for both, and engage in extremely elaborate processions which had to be run along absurdly complex routes so that none could actually run into each other, which kept all but the most powerful lords on the verge of bankruptcy.

Sadly, I didn't end up taking my texts with me to university, so they're three provinces away. The best one, which offered a really interesting perspective on the unique dynamics of class conflict and its primary expression in landlord/tenant disputes, was Jansen's "Making of Modern Japan" which covered the period from Sekigahara to the late 90s. It also had really good stuff on Japan's industrialization and modernization and the social shifts that came with it. Not on my much-impoverished bookshelf right now tho! :-(

He is also a figurehead of /poverty/.

What have you done with my sides

They weren't being ironic or even post-ironic when they called him God-Emperor (the actual word was Tennō meaning "heavenly king", which is still his official Japanese title, by the way). According to Shinto tradition, the Japanese imperial family directly descended patrilineally from Amaterasu, one of the chief Shinto gods, the original and oldest title of the emperors being tenshi, "Son of Heaven". They were (and to degree still are) seen as living gods.

That's very, very different from a post-ironic reference to 40k.

They committed mass suicide when he lost.

Worked well they industrialized very quickly, and became so powerful so fast they became the first Asian country to ever defeat a European nation in war when they defeated Russia. They conquered their neighbors with ease and it took the entire world declaring war on them and an atomic bomb to stop them.

Pretty damn successful for the most part. Probably the most success an Asian nation has ever had on a global scale.

*wakizashi

Dunno fampai, Ming China was absurdly powerful. They just never really made contact with the West in the same way.

the battle stance of the guy wielding the tanto is fucking epic tho.

Expand on this

That's cute

Did a little googling. I think user is talking about the Republic of Ezo