Thread Template edition

Resources
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Links
>Wiki: 8agdg.wikidot.com/ which also has the handy dandy thread template
>Beginner's guide: >>>/agdg/29080

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR MAY 5TH
Polite reminder that the wiki exists, you are encouraged to contribute to it if you can (even if it's just your game page)

Attached: ThreadTemplatePic.png (800x600 7.97 KB, 2.5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.godotengine.org/en/3.0/getting_started/step_by_step/your_first_game.html
xroft666.blogspot.bg/2015/07/glow-highlighting-in-unity.html
github.com/Calinou/awesome-godot
drive.google.com/open?id=1qHoLLMu-KcQJLn2Uz-DT83KJHl1O0tIk
twitter.com/TheStrangeLog
apps.ankiweb.net/
docs.godotengine.org/en/3.0/getting_started/step_by_step/ui_code_a_life_bar.html
valvesoftware.com/publications/2009/ai_systems_of_l4d_mike_booth.pdf
valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/GDC10_ShaderTechniquesL4D2.pdf
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Playables.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_operations_on_polygons
davis.wpi.edu/~matt/courses/clipping/
extras.springer.com/2005/978-1-84628-108-2/VattiClip.pdf
exif.regex.info/exif.cgi
poal.me/tef0xi
8agdg.wikidot.com/ue4-survival-project
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: fluf.jpg (790x625, 112.55K)

How exactly do you make an engine that isn't data driven?

i will eventually have to redesign my cooking system to make it script based, i will also add cooking method to the mix, stuff like how are you cutting the veggies before adding it to the soup
But how would i make the visual representation for that? having models of all possible ingredients would be overkill, specially since finished recipes can be used as ingredients…

Attached: cooking wife.jpg (850x1133, 174.17K)

what is a data-driven engine?

you code a little men to run that engine on coded a fuel

I'm glad to be autistic

My first C project is a program that modifies filenames in folders, for example turning all filenames into lowercase or replacing a string with another string. I don't even care about making a vidya anymore, this is my life now.

Attached: 125664423.png (508x508, 90.37K)

You're still a pajeet.

Its good news for you that you can figure out the mindset needed to write good C so fast. You will probably make a game sooner than you think because of that

can you give me a bit more help on this? the tutorial is a mess
after reading the comments i got it to render the scene as it was, but there's still no outline

yeah, sure. I had to do some tweaking myself. Also, I think GPUs without Shader Model 5.0 support will not render the outline. just be patient, I'll be home in 2 hours

oh, well it's kind of useless for me then, my toaster is using an integrated one, only goes as far as 3.0 i think
you sure about that?

You could have smaller icons display over the graphic to indicate if it's chopped, seasoned, etc. Drew up an example for you, even.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (335x124, 14.83K)

Got through the Godot tutorial in the documentation, been screwing around with it, changing the background, different music, etc. Good times, very encouraging. Reading the rest of the documentation and continuing to tinker today. I already read the entire audio section and played around with some .wav and .ogg imports.
So the "Godot" way…how would I go about implementing MP3 or .midi playback? Hope someone has already written that? I don't have the chops to code that myself.

Attached: Carmageddon_1.jpg (150x150, 17.23K)

Is Godot's documentation actually that good? I have to see this for myself.

yeah, I tested the game on my GTX 260 machine to test performance and the outline just didn't show up. I don't really have know which part of the shader code causes this, unfortunately, maybe the blur effect. I'll send you my final code but you might want to recreate each step of the tutorial and see when it breaks.

"Good" is a stretch, I actually found the tutorial to be…a little less than crystal clear at times and outright forgot to explain something at the end (the rect3 reference for the particle effect). I would still recommend it, though.
docs.godotengine.org/en/3.0/getting_started/step_by_step/your_first_game.html

pretty much on any step
anything other than the blur results in a black screen
meanwhile on the last step i get regular rendering with no outline
probably wont work
i'm not getting any outline on the beelzebox demo from your site either, although for all i know it's probably outdated
gonna try a different solution
xroft666.blogspot.bg/2015/07/glow-highlighting-in-unity.html worked earlier today but was kind of clunky with it's implementation, i kind of just figured yours would be slightly less work

Good luck, bro. Looking forward to the results. I'll still post my version of that shader later.

how can we submit PRs to Godot to make it more optimized?

repost since last thread will die:

You can hack it and make it an invisible object whose distance (position) from the center of the screen is equal to the distance between the actual noise origin (like the enemy) and your player character.
var playerDistance = player.position.x - enemy.position.xaudioStream.position.x = playerDistance + (get_viewport().size.x / 2)
or something like that.

Why did I miss this?

For mp3 or midi support you will need to find a module (either as a gdnative plugin or code to recompile the engine with) written by someone else if you refuse to create your own.

I can't think of anything that would be more fucking fun than writing a module to play mp3 files

I was thinking of using 3d to represent it to be less UI centric and be more immersive, something similar to alchemy in kingdom come

C isn't anymore a "real language" than any other choice besides proprietary scripting schemes

It's useful to distinguish between languages that require some amount of intelligence to use, and scripting languages (or java) that allow inidans and other nonwhites to dominate. The best way to keep them out is with pointers, and that requires a real langauge.

on an unrelated note, the antifa game jam is starting soon. if anyone wants to join my team, everyone is welcome. requirements:
5'5" or shorter (if you're taller, ask first)
at least 20% (if you don't know what this means, don't contact me)
be an artist or programmer or sound guy (the game is already made, it just needs people to put it together)
absolutely no fascist views!

Can I bring my California compliant AR-15 with me? :^)

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (3600x914, 1.27M)

sure, "dad"

Attached: f40e9f691eaac685f3f17bc612c1cc4112d9ed171558b8166b74e441bfed46a8.png (384x390, 153.38K)

you literal rapist?!

Attached: shot_repeating_rifle_12.jpg (700x436, 52.78K)

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation, user.
What if I don't have the ability to? It's not like everyone is a coding fucking wiz kid, or even wants to be.

Yuuup.

I identify as a German ubermensch fascist overlord, did you need some vielfalt for your team?

time for a coincidence simulator

Once, I had an idea to make an FTL-like game where you avoid the state and federal police officers as a criminal, eg with a country-level drug running goal. I remember doing research on different roads and highway types and trying to piece together different highways and states and stuff into a database and it didn't get far it was a mess

I don't take your point. Transparent pointers don't make a language any more legitimate, and if Java didn't happen then curry munchers would be writing bad C++ instead

Already exists somewhat

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (640x300, 10.64K)

Posting this for any of my other Godot anons:
github.com/Calinou/awesome-godot
Does anyone have any good tools for creating and/or converting OGG files?

then you use a converter like the pants shiter that you are

vlc

it works
no idea if it's affecting performance hard or not
basically all you have to do is add OutlineController and HighlightsFX to your main camera
only thing i've done is made OutlineController add/remove the renderers from my ItemInfo class, so HighlightsFX stays as the original was
if you want to use it, you only really have to modify OutlineController to work however you're handling your items+colors
after that you want to add or remove renderers from the thing
in my case, each item i have has an ItemInfo monobehaviour on it, stores a bunch of info needed for equipping, most important being whether the item has an owner or not
in ItemInfo.Start() if it has no owner, the renderers get added
in ItemInfo.OnDestroy() said renderers get removed
as far as i can tell, both shaders are pretty much doing the same thing, probably some minor difference that fucks it up for me
the weird thing is that outside of the editor, it still doesn't render. gonna try with a development build, for all i know it's just an issue with quality settings or something

Attached: Unity 2018-03-16 20-08-54-22_VP8.webm (776x364, 4.65M)

ah nevermind, found the issue
you need to reference the shader rather than assigning it via code

It came out just today, so.

Attached: mama mia.png (697x608 224.51 KB, 454.96K)

You know what to do user

Attached: 1238069226231.jpg (842x928, 323.96K)

Lines of different soil are horizontal, not vertical. You could just make a breakfast themed game though.

On the brightside user, You now have a bacon texture.

Attached: Carl Sagan's Cosmos - 'The Meat Planet'.mp4 (480x360, 13.56M)

wtf are you on about, mate, shit looks delicious af

Make a bacon meme game and get some easy money from shitters to fund your passion project.

MEAT PLANET HERE WE GO

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (600x450, 330.99K)

updated with the necessary shaders
you only have to assign them to HighlightsFX when you're putting it on the camera
works fine, i don't think it's causing any more damage to the framerate than my spaghetti

Attached: test 2018-03-16 21-31-19-64_VP8.webm (800x600, 7.09M)

Oh shit a Twitter bot that's actually kinda funny
twitter.com/TheStrangeLog

Where does it pull the patch notes from?

No, they wouldn't. You can teach any pajeet to write bad java. It takes a master pajeet to write bad cpp.

For a 4x4 Matrix object, would it make sense to make it 16 floats, or should I have 4 Vector4 objects (one for each row)? The latter seems easier to work with, but kinda disguises the intent of the class

Sorry, I'm retarded. I kept reading them and the description, and it looks like those are hand picked from various games. Still, they're kinda funny.

Hey there, anons. Working on the inventory system for my UE4 game at the moment, and everything's been going fine, but suddenly, my inventory fails to initialize. As in - CreateDefaultSubobject seems to return null. Any idea why this could be happening? My class is pretty barebones and I'm not doing anything unorthodox.

Attached: 4XTFNGL.png (370x320, 9.98K)

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (624x219, 27.73K)

Okay, since I had to RMA my motherboard and CPU, I won't have a device to dev on. I don't know how long that will take, so I thought I could work on the wiki a bit, because the laptop I'm stuck with sucks ass.
Kind of thinking about writing a programming tutorial. A complete course, so to speak, for the user who has never programmed a thing in his life. Something to give you a solid basis, since there is a lot of shit on the Internet. Would anyone of you be interested or would that be a waste of time? Anything else I could do instead?

Attached: 1445666613627.jpg (600x465, 158.5K)

Attached: 69764ff10c12963c6502415b65bb7468679e5539faea5846a5af2435ad940f32.gif (1920x1080, 614.67K)

there is, but that's partly because people who have no business trying to teach decide to write tutorials. we'll bully you before we fix any bad pratices we see

What's with the cuckolding obsession around these parts? I thought it was a joke about beta males but it seems to have stuck so hard I hear school kids call each other cucks in multiplayer vidya.

Moot being found out to be a cuckold probably sealed that deal.

That changelog is from Crusader Kings II, which came out in 2012.

Oh, really? My bad, this is really funny then, and makes sense in context.

What? I thought the cuck thing was born when he relabeled Holla Forums to be a cuckolding board. Was he himself actually outed to be an actual cuckold?

I don't remember the details or have any of the screencaps, but after GG was banned on 4/v/, anons discovered moot was sleeping with a Gawker writer who was cheating on him.
sage because offtopic.

Oh. Well if someone cheated on him, the shame is on the cheater. I haven't ever interacted with moot myself, but I assume he's an autistic nerd, and was jumping on whatever pussy he could actually get his hands on.

Moot was orbiting some Gawker writer who already had a husband or boyfriend (can't remember which). Later on it turned out she was only tolerating him to get attention from Gawker's higherups and dumped his sad ass after her promotion.

Well, I'm thinking about the fundamentals for people who really never did any programming like artists, for example. It looks like some Anons could use it, considering that I've seen some fucking awful code in the time i spent here. Yandev wasn't the only one, although his was probably the worst.

Attached: current_year_coding.jpg (537x765, 90.38K)

Dog eat dog world, I guess.

Attached: CagZQHLXIAEMdcn.jpg (467x404 12.83 KB, 32.32K)

Attached: wat.gif (353x300, 1.24M)

Don't you know that coding with emojis is the newest design pattern of OO programming!??? It's 2018 we don't need programming languages invented by white men anyway.

Attached: Carmageddon_4.jpg (150x150, 17.96K)

This needs to erased from existence.
Thank god my college doesn't do this shit

Attached: 752358302ff3416aca1d49c41f9d485b97b991c58dd43be76e922db9ef0e375b.jpg (1172x1200, 117.33K)

I don't think any self-respecting programmer would do that, ever.

Pick one and only one

A lot of them are really easily recognizable for instance dwarves in trees, sims, or that one considering there's not a whole lot of games featuring cuckolding.

Two of these don't even work for me, but it's supposed to be a back arrow, dice, that thinking face, and a robot head
I can't think of anything for for though.

Programmers either don't respect themselves or have autism. You need to fit one of these categories in order to put up with the trials and tribulations of code. Especially for fucking video games.

programming is the closest thing we have to magic, user

I respect myself and take pride in my work. I do animation, sound design and code for my game, and I do so because I thought I'm competent enough to learn how to do these things. Just because you yourself have no self-respect doesn't mean you need to throw this blanket over programmers as a group.

I'd say mathematics as a science is the closest thing we have to magic. It has a rigid structure and both exists and doesn't. It's basically a giant world that can only be explored using calculations, isn't tangible, and yet dictates how everything in the Universe functions. It's amazing, really.

You mean magnetism is the closest thing we have to magic. People understand how and why for math, there are formal proofs. Magnetism gets involved? The "why" goes way the fuck out the window

Mathematics doesn't dictate how the universe functions. It's a human invention. It less like the code the universe uses and more like the language we use to leave comments on all undocumented code of the universe.

We understand magnets more than we understand gravity.

Holy shit, I feel like some arcane knowledge dawned on me. The secret to prototyping is to just put shit together as quickly as possible. If it's close enough to how you imagined it then it's good enough for a prototype. I know this sounds like obvious bullshit, but even though I knew it, I still (until recently) spent weeks refining a single feature without knowing if it's even a good idea and often, after finishing it I had to throw it into garbage because it shit after all and after seeing almost no actual progress I got bored and abandoned a project. When I stopped caring about quality and all that nonsense and just started rushing to get as much done as possible I feel like a gamedev master or something. My game grows with each day before my eyes, it's really encouraging. And even if I have to discard one of the things I did, it's not a big deal because I didn't waste a whole month fine tuning it. Took me a few years of making nogames, but I finally get it.

So, was I just retarded or does anyone else have a problem with prototyping? Also sorry for a blogpost

Attached: laughing sucy.jpg (743x720, 33.62K)

I'm not even a coder and I hate this,. Reminds me that romeo and juliet shit where they replaced the script with emojis and text speak.

Attached: 9f641d988dcf6a2a2063b791714750914cfd972140dcc4093f74a3aa69a74a4f.png (215x395, 103.5K)

Swift has this shit built in.

Magnetic fields are pretty well understood, and their cause extends into the quantum fuckery that science is currently cracking. Something to do with spin, if I remember correctly. But we do know the general gist of it. Gravity is more of a mystery.

Math isn't an invention, it's a discovery. It's very clear that it's in one way or another embedded in reality.

don't be a kike, at this point you're just playing with words for the sake of disagreeing with someone

No, it's an important distinction to make. If you credit mankind with the invention of mathematics you cripple yourself from ever understanding the true source of mathematics. Ditto chemistry and the rest of the sciences. We're little apes discovering someone else's work, not creating it ourselves.
hubris, user, the difference is hubris

Whose work are we discovering, then? if you say god you're fired

Invention is something artificially constructed, a discovery is, well, fucking discovery of something new that we didn't know about. Mathematics is rigid and already laid out, we just don't know all of it yet. So we discover new math as we explore it. You absolute fucking ape. "Kike" - is this how low Holla Forums has sunk? Accusing everything you don't understand to be kike tricks?

Fundamental properties of this universe.

dog

The Great Mathematician if you like that label better, but of course you know we're talking about God. Sage since this is waaay off topic for AGDG and Holla Forums.

Attached: 1428451795855.jpg (485x348, 69.3K)

You were just retarded but so are most people when they start. Doing it quick and dirty is the best method for prototyping. Just remember to clean your messy shit occasionally, or throw it out completely and redo it when you've figured out that's what you want.
Game jams are a good place to learn this. You could also just give yourself a strict, short time limit to work on a project. Doesn't give time to overdesign or make something perfect, and you won't feel guilty about deleting it if it's crap.

I'm calling you a kike because you're intentionally destroying the meaning of words and replacing them with useless catch-all terms.

?

Are you autistic? What catch-all words? Invention and discovery are two different fucking words with two different meanings.

I never delete my old projects.

Okay, I guess I'll just fucking stop posting

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (355x369, 131.17K)

the

gayme

To be fair it's easy to fall into that trap when you see everyone here lamenting bad practices and design choices and think that you need to over-design and make things perfect initially. It's much harder for new programmers to discern when they should be hacking together a prototype to test something to rewrite later and that they're not just being shit at programming, like Yandev.

You're the one trying to blur the meanings of discovery and invention.

on second thought, I'm probably wrong about the distinction between discovery and invention it's still not god

I can tell

Thanks.

Attached: 8768768766578.PNG (842x664, 539.94K)

be nice, user, as least he didn't say "scripter"

>I'm a phreaker

actually, im a digital disruptor

Attached: Neil Breen Hacks the DNC.webm (1066x600, 11.9M)

hacker

Attached: 1c3b2aae9649eef5e3bdeb615eedbee9f526a1e29b8532d28a4df291fffd5236.jpg (189x189, 3.85K)

I was bad with my words, I should have said "it was a human development". What I'm claiming is that the underlying rules of the universe can be explained using math, but math isn't "dictating" to the universe how to function. Whether or not it's a discovery or invention, or if it's both how much of it is an discovery or invention, is not a debate I want to get into.
I should have known I was causing problems by getting pedantic about the definition of something that doesn't have an accepted definition.

Derailing is the fault of everyone participating, including me.

I'm learning a purely functional language for the sake of improving, but I'm starting to think people who actively use haskell are mentally retired

i'm in your area

why
you will never use this
ever
even pajeets don't use it

Attached: ca8e9a5d03930ab5f0ec2d9d6fd34503408debe5d42aba4ccb6a23298e08fae3.jpg (212x218, 6.17K)

I think it's easy to discern, it's all a matter of intent. Prototyping is a conscious effort to make something in a shitty but quick way to test an idea, no matter how skilled you are, it's like doing a rough sketch before drawing. Yandev doesn't consciously try to make shit.

Why would an inferior people like hindoos use the superior coding paradigm?

Attached: fp.jpg (1131x1600, 512.19K)

what gives?

i'm a nigger sage

Attached: videoplayback.webm (480x360, 1.7M)

ogg files

Sure, I agree with that. Discern probably wasn't the right word because you're right that it's about intent.

Is this an example of YandereDev-style if-statement creep? I want to do this as a switch but don't know how to do it more cleanly than this.

Only reason I'm delegating this to a helper function is so that this code reads cleanly.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (301x258, 4.7K)

just throw out your project and start over in haskell :^)

Seconding this.
At what point is it more efficient, performance wise, to use Switches over if/elses?

unless you're chaining dozens of them (which you shouldn't) the main benefit of a switch is that it's much easier to maintain depending on the compiler, a switch statement will probably be converted to a jump table, but that's less important

You could rewrite that as pic related

Assuming you're using a compiler updated in the last decade, most of them unwrap if/else chains and switch statements to the same code under the hood. Switches are good when you have specific, finite values to compare, such as an enum statement. If/else chains are fine for coordinate/bounds checking, but you do want to avoid huge chains or giant nest blocks

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (357x101, 5.42K)

Oh sorry, I didn't see the minute differences you were doing, I thought it was a rect bounds check. Good news! Hex grids are still analogous to rectangular bounds checking and it wouldn't be a big change

You can't do this as a switch, unless the possible values for x and y are within a narrowly defined range.
The reason is that you switch on the value of the variable, not an expression. It always has the form of
switch (VARIABLE){ case CONSTANT:...}
Switches are to be used when you have a chain like this one:
if (number == 0) { ... }else if (number == 213) { ... }else if (number == 741) { ... }...else { ... }

If anything, you could shorten your function as suggested.

Ok, I know you faggots will bash me either way, but this was a pretty interesting read

Attached: 2018-03-16 21_47_40-How I made $670K over the past 8 years with 100% Open Source games _ gamedev.jpg (985x1024, 361.65K)

also, there seems to be an error in that short block of text

rotten redditer shoo shoo

I reimportated and remade the entire scene and made sure everything was congruent and neat. It functions and looks way better, but it was hell to implement. Also the wheel's orgins are in the inside now, not the inside, which gives a more believable steering and movement, but the wheel models sink in a bit when on a tilt, I might move the wheelbodys to the middle of the model, but everything right should be done physically. Now to add in a hud and shooting. I won't give a video for now. I will say the light grass and the shadows look VERY nice.

Attached: apc.png (1920x1080, 2.42M)

Don't fucking mention him unless you want this thread to turn into a rottenhuman thread.

Attached: the things i've seen.jpg (1920x1080, 132.97K)

Sorry.

Oh, and since spoke of efficiency, maybe I should add this.
The shortened version of this function isn't less efficient.
return (a && b && c);
For this to be true, all three have to be. If a is false, b and c are not evaluated and the function returns false immediately.
There is room for an optimization hidden in there. For the most part you shouldn't bother, but it's good to know nonetheless, because there are times where you should.
What I posted above also applies to functions. So return a() && b() && c(); won't execute b() and c(), if a() returns false; and that's good to know, if your chain of conditions contains expensive functions. You can reorder them to increase the chance of the slow function not even being called to safe time. The end result will be the same.
As I said earlier, for the most part it doesn't matter, but it's still useful to know.

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about

It's pretty simple. Languages like C++ are just harder than Java. At a certain level of difficulty, indians can't even pretend to cut it.

You're right, that is a simplistic assessment.

I said it was simple. We're not going to get anywhere if you're too stupid understand that, or more likely, just pretending to be.

I'm not pretending to be retarded, I'm just receiving retarded replies

What exactly did I say that you disagree with? All you've done is screech at me.
Do you not understand that C++ is more difficult to grasp than java?
Do you not understand that Indians are one of the less intelligent races?

Please take your Holla Forums garbage out of here.

This is how we know you're not from around here. Making fun of Indians has always been Holla Forums territory

Attached: indan_programmer_school_2.webm (640x360, 11.72M)

And again, no disagreement, just indiscriminate screeching. C++ is a great tool, and one of its features is weeding out people like you.

Indians write garbage programs because they're poorly educated, which is due to their country's infrastructure being garbage. It's fine to make fun of pajeets for writing poor programs. However, implying that it's because they're by default are inferior from the get-go, even if they received proper education - that's Holla Forumstard territory.

I'm writing a fucking game in C++ as we speak.

Do you mean data oriented?
Data driven means that your game data is tweaked in excell sheeeits 'n sheeit

Attached: boomcat1.png (229x218, 3.68K)

And why do you think their infrastructure is garbage? Hint: it's genetic.
Being low-IQ doesn't mean you're inferior. It just means you're dumb.

Huh, I guess Europeans should get right on fixing that. That way, Indians can be just as smart as everyone else.
Congrats, you aren't Indian.

Why don't you go to /r/gamedev and leave us alone instead of whining about Holla Forums? I'm sure that the moderation there will agree with you

Their country is corrupt, due to their history of being fucked in the ass by the English. Most countries that got fucked relatively recently, historically, are currently fucked. Russia, for example, still hasn't properly recovered from the echo of USSR.

I don't know why you think I'm implying our countries should put any money at all towards their development. I'm not a big fan of handouts to developing countries - their corrupt governments burn right through whatever aid they receive.

Holla Forums to imageboards is what libtards are to Reddit, and what SJWs are to Tumblr.

sage for offtopic

Get back to posting progress, niggers.

Attached: 1f56c7b3ee859bb447f7e53fad10b105be3bc770262f49b187dc189d25f5e0d0.jpg (461x608, 110.12K)

Of course, it's Europe's fault their culture is shit, their intelligence is lower, and they have more corruption than infrastructure.
I was mocking the idea that the only thing separating Europeans from lower-tier Asians are our roads.

Next you'll tell me some states in Burgerland are more liberal or conservative than others!

Attached: 1447026093979-0.png (342x359, 195.69K)

You're taking what I said, flipping it on its head and then fighting against what I said as though it is what I said. Since you're such a fucking ape, let me explain, that I did not play the blame game, I simply said that Indians historically were used by a stronger country, and now they're suffering the consequences of that. It's politics. There are winners and losers. India's the loser.

Holla Forums is an echochamber of extreme political views that cannot keep its politics to itself and has a convenient magical excuse for every single thing you bring up, and if you refuse it they call you a shitlord. Oh, pardon me, a redditor/cuck.

They're the same kind of politically-driven cancer that eats into everything else on the website. Doesn't matter if they're conservatives, or liberals, they're equally fucking unbearable and have their head stuck 20 meters up their own ass.

I'm assuming that what you mean is what you're actually saying.
You're going to have to elaborate, I have a feeling you have a very shallow understanding of world history.

wew

I really have no interest in discussing this further, and derailing the thread further, still. I've been in similar arguments before and they devolve into smugposting 99% of the time.

use sage when posting offtopic shit

to answer your question - Britain pretty much raped India through trade, because most of India was in no position to negotiate due to Arabs being aggressive to them at the time.

I'm sure that, they would have been better off had we just left them to their own devices and never built their railway system

besides that point you are the one who has been derailing the thread by using this as a launch point to start an off topic argument about Holla Forums. You are the cancer here, who needs to derail and ruin threads by turning them into Holla Forums arguments just because YOU have a stick up your ass and can't let anything go. We could have been done with this argument many posts ago if you weren't on a crusade against a majority of users here

So what? Italy and Greece are also corrupt, but they're not nearly as bad as most of India. :thinking emoji: Perhaps there's more to it than that.

No, actually, they're suffering the consequences of their freedom.
If you believe that, then (a) why are you here, and (b) why are you still replying?
I'm going to stop replying now

There is no middle-ground in the culture war. Now shut up before you trigger someone into making a game that reflects what we are living.

C++ isn't that hard to grasp or a tool of racial superiority, plenty of curry niggers write it. Indirection and memory management are not as arcane as you think.

There's, what, a billion of them now? Like I said, the top pajeets can manage it. they still need to stay in their shithole, though

1.3 billion I think. So yes, even with an average IQ of 82 some of them must make it to three digits.

Attached: indian-monopoly.png (1170x1169, 338.33K)

It would work in a match statement (pattern matching) in functional languages or ones that borrow from functional languages.
But really there's nothing atrocious about that code.

Oh yeah, you don't need all those brackets and if/else. The return statements implicitly have that logic.
if (cond) return false;if (cond) return false;return true;
or even
if (cond || cond) return false;return true;
are fine.

Also, you can logic it out and do something like

It should actually be (!cond && !cond) .
Your example returns true when only one of the the conditions is true even though either of them should return false.

Attached: 1467161839304-2.jpg (1024x768, 93.32K)

And this is why I don't do logic gymnastics. Usually I opt for the second code in

Show me ur game fgt.
I'm a music-fag, 6'0, and a vehement racist.

Attached: 1444970967126.png (878x1089, 342.57K)

Any smart guys have retention advice? I'm going over my language again with a pen and paper because some true definitions slipped the greasy ol' noodle. What are good practices to retain large amounts of information?

Attached: Dante.jpg (125x105, 3.26K)

Is paying for subscription-based Autodesk and Adobe products worth the monthly/yearly payments? Or is it better just to pirate them these days?

Depends how balls-to-the-wall you want to go. If you want to guarantee you'll memorize the information, look at spaced repetition software like Anki: apps.ankiweb.net/
SRS is essentially flashcards, but the program uses an algorithm that determines which cards you're most likely to forget, and shows you those cards. It's most effective if you use it once a day.

Just buy what you can and pirate what you can't.

Anyone know good places to look at UI concepts? Kinda wanna look around for inspiration.

Neat. Thanks.

Maybe you should play some games? :^)

Hello aggydaggy, long time no see.

Attached: learn_1.PNG (782x721, 402.93K)

morning user

Someone get this hothead out of here. And where's that UWP guy?

That's a big windmill. does it spin?

Attached: Bane_and_CIA_4ever.webm (640x360, 7.11M)

Not yet.

Implemented an aiming and shooting system. There are 3 ways to aim and shoot: using gamepad, using keyboard, and using mouse. Going to work on in-game UI next.

Attached: output_compressed.mp4 (800x600, 7.41M)

It has never been appropriate to pay for them

I think even Adobe employees pirate

asked this on /vg/ but that board is slowly but surely gaining more anons

've been meaning to start a small game to gain experience but I'm struggling with choosing an engine. For a first timer amateur who has plenty of experience in modding, what would be the best choice, creating an engine from scratch or picking and choosing from all the available free engines like Godot or unity? would consider unreal but I'd rather leave that for when I have a clearer idea of what to do. Maybe I'll roll with Godot unless someone has a better idea for a good 3D engine.

I thought the blueprint feature in Unreal is specifically for newcomers

godot>unreal>unity>gamemaker>rpgmaker, but this does change depending on how shit your toaster is
unreal is great and technically open source, but their licenses can be gimicky. also it runs like shit
godot may or may not lack features, i wouldn't know
unity is shit but it works - better than unreal only because if you can't run unreal at a decent framerate
others are obvious

The best engine is the one that suits the game you're making.

Are there any particular benefits to using the newest versions of these programs that require periodic fees? Assuming I'm willing to pay for that software, is there a reason why I wouldn't just buy older software, like Adobe CS6, and be done with it?

I know this isn't what you're going for but that test area reminds me of Rabbits vs Sheep custom map. I wonder if it would be fun to play a game like this on a shared screen.

If you have previous experience with C# or something similar, then Unity is extremely easy to get into. It's also versatile so you can do pretty much everything with it if you want to just test what you'd like to make.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1280x720, 1.64M)

I don't think anything but making 2d real would make the newest software. The artist makes the art, not the newest tools.

newest software worth it

Why would you buy Adobe software when you could just use GIMP and Blender, especially as an amateur?

Eh, not looking to sell this idea, I'll upload it for free everywhere I can though.

I'm not really aiming for amazing graphics, just something fun to make AND to play. So that might cross out Unreal unless I go with Unreal3 instead of 4 (which is a terrible idea but I have a weak PC currently.)
I'd post my idea but I'm paranoid someone will steal it.

Still leaning toward Godot, but IF I have to, I guess I could bite the bullet and roll with Unity.

Maybe try whatever engine was used for Warcraft 3 that way your game can play on almost anything like the original Defense of the Ancients

It's an idea that could be done by modding DooM Which I might do first as a proof of concept and testing, adding and remove ideas. but since I'm already a dev for a popular mod on Holla Forums, I'd rather make something of my own from scratch instead of further modding. Maybe the problem is that I don't a proper grasp of scope and I'm thinking too ambitiously.

Use Gimp or pirate CS4, the new adobo products offer nothing you'll miss.

Unreal Engine is already suited for FPS if thats what you're going for

I might as well, I'm just worried that Unreal4 won't run on my current PCs. Worst case scenario I end up using Unreal3.

Thank you all for the suggestions and help. I hope to report back with progress soon.

they kind of all run equally bad
if you can't run UE4, you're better off using godot/unity

Or use Krita, for drawing. Gimp might be better for image manipulation for textures for now, but drawing them yourself is better in Krita.

The only features that seem somewhat neato were from the newest After Effects but this isn't particularly useful for gamedev. Photoshop has new stuff for photo manipulation, so again not gamedev related. I have to check if they added anything to the rebranded Flash program, but I somehow doubt that. So, yes. Their main brands were good enough already.

Beside that, you're tight. But, Autodesk still seems better for animating shit in 3D from what I tried so far, so Blender has room for improvement

Has there ever been an in depth analysis on what made oblivion so fucking comfy? Particularly the art style. The game itself is so bland I can't even pick it up anymore. It's also as ugly as fucking sin, but everytime I hear the music, see a screenshot or even it's parchment paper UI. Suddenly I get a rush of that warm comfortable feeling from playing it the first time. It always makes me want to reinstall.

Attached: Duplicate-Items-in-Tes-4-Oblivion-Xbox-360-Game-Step-5.jpg (1370x772, 261.24K)

Jeremy Soule I think

Even without the music. The bloom ultra fantasy art style and UI.

Menus and music, that's pretty much it. Them loading screens.

Go with Godot. Easy to use, totally free, small binary, and has a very active community on 8ch due to it treating Linux as a first class citizen.

Attached: 1ab7b4e410018b40e9d91dddb294323d7aed446c7a1350ddb96ed29fbf73c719.jpg (101x126, 2.12K)

Data driven means the logic itself is driven by data (so, data can be transformed by one system, which drives changes in other systems that use the data, and such).
Also, the data, and logic are decoupled (I.e. self-contained data, no logic in same class/struct; so can be used by other systems as its just data).
In essence it’s seperating the what from the how.
So patterns like a decoupled ECS (f.e. Unity is EC not ECS, and encourages tight coupling; no mainstream engine I know of really does decoupled ECS), or MVC are basically data driven.

So put another way, you could have a Vector3 treated as a position, velocity, normal, or RGB tuple depending on what you feed it into?

Games these days have overdesigned, cluttered UI in my honest opinion. My game's UI is simplistic and inspired by older versions of Windows because it's a sandbox game and nothing but the most ergonomic and utility-oriented UI is appropriate.

thats a good meme, sauce on the music? I think I remember it from Dexter

Havent watched Dexter myself, but it turns out you are correct.

But goy, don't you want to be able to view 3D models in your photo manipulation software?

No, that's not what he's getting at

making some new snazzy interface art

Attached: ui.png (1483x926, 217.06K)

also trying to make the interface work with keyboards/controllers rather than just the mouse, total pain

Having a hard time understanding the pattern then, because in a strong-typed language, you can't just "reinterpret" an object (casting either works in-place to a more generalized base type, or implicit casts actually create a new object instance), and non-typed languages (eg scripting languages or Lua) would just shove everything together anyways

How does dynamic structural damage in shooting games and stuff work? Maybe you could do something like that.

Data-driven is more along the lines of function dispatch tables where the data defines the logic. I'm not sure what you're trying to communicate in your posts, I have personally written an engine in a strongly typed language that used the same vector type for position, normals, and color.

2gay4me

you are too good for this world, Keyreal

thanks mom

Fucking kill me.

I'm jealous of how you manage to get such consistently high FPS.
Your engines are good shit, keep it up.

So if I have two vectors, V and N, and I'm trying to find the reflect vector, R, I need to normalize V and N first, right?

>following docs.godotengine.org/en/3.0/getting_started/step_by_step/ui_code_a_life_bar.html
Previous tutorials featuring the GUI shit didn't end up like the screenshots if I followed the instructions. Either I'm terrible at following instructions or whoever writes Godot's step by step tutorials needs an editor badly.

Attached: Oekaki6.png (1596x668 5.56 KB, 44K)

spot on, great tune, first part of this music would fit perfectly on my game
I wonder what of search I would be able to find a similar collection of music like that

Only n (assuming it's the normal of the surface). The formula for reflecting is really simple: r = v - 2*(d•n)*n

I figured it was just N that needed to be normalized, since the 2* part basically only works if it's in the range of 0..1.
I was able to figure out that the vectors you use are treated as directions, and (0,0) is the intersection point. I'm looking at other source code as a guide here.

RPGdev,

Studied three demo projects: 2D in 3D (pong on a sheet in 3D), HUD Console, and Control Binding GUI. I might have custom controls working now, I gotta learn how to use my controller to send input to pawns. Again. I also studied the "My First Game" tutorial, which actually had code for displaying different sprites and even flipping them so that was useful. Though I'm wondering how attaching 3D animated sprites is going to work now with individual scenes (dudes who need sprites). But ayy progress, I'm off tomorrow so I'll be sure to post about some stuff when I can.

Attached: Untitled.png (1280x720, 138.08K)

I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know the results, though I don't even have physics applied to my test guy yet. Or collision, as far as I know.

Okay maybe not.

I compared the doc's 3.0 and latest revisions. Found a single adjusted paragraph but the other inconsistencies are still present in the latest version.

Reading from a file is incredibly complicated in Haskell. I'll get back to my gamdev project eventually

Does anyone know how to render actors to a texture in UE4? Trying to get my inventory icons to be procedural because I'm working alone and efficiency is key.

Speaking of dumb bullshit, what makes more sense from a design standpoint?

OR

Forgot to mention, I like the first approach more, because I'll be having a Mathematics namespace, with a MathHelper class (static helper for floating point operations, vectors rely on it), an Interpolation class (static class for barycentric, catmull rom, etc interpolation), and a Vector class (performs vector operations).

Whereas if I do the second approach, all the vector operations clutter up the basic class namespace, and I don't want that

I wrote some code to identify and flag a special case in the BSP compiler, that allows for it to process geometry that would otherwise be invalid. The detection of invalid geometry is right now only correct in specific cases, which means that it is still too buggy to handle such geometry in general, however the exceptions do work, once the detection is fixed I will be able to compile all of my maps into the new BSP format.

Attached: bsp tree progress.webm (640x480, 8.64M)

I don't trust myself, can someone please review this paragraph in my character's bio?

'His first-time experience on an actual battlefield was the worst. He couldn't focus, was constantly scared and the hybrid form he'd chosen was too weak to actually defend himself or anybody for that matter. It was an insurgency mission to free a town in Syria being held hostage by some Salah terrorists.It was also a drastic failure. The rookies in work nor their commanders were expecting the firepower they received and many lost their lives, their limbs and their mind. Boar nearly went into a relapse after witnessing the horrors that emerged. He sought to escape and retreat back into rehab, but he feared the spirit of his brother, who haunted and reminded him of his tragic past. It was all too much for him and he forced himself to move on. Firstly, he researched into new hybrids by practicing with different animals he found on the field. At the end, his favorite came to be the Ox and the Kangaroo, who he dubbed the Bovi and the Magic Jack respectively. He spent most of his army money getting blood vials for those until the military began providing Irostars with what they required. To deal with his fear of blood and gore, he devoted his new time watching horror movies, visiting the morgue and those who had lost a lot in battle. Military life wasn't easy, but Boar adapted and eventually, he became closer to the men he'd seen in the books and movies. However, the guilt of murdering his brother still never fully departed.'

Attached: 1475176083923.jpg (2848x2136, 679.28K)

pshhh, nothing personnel

Attached: cole.png (1002x525, 493.97K)

Cool, thanks. I might even switch to that one, having a working outline on my toaster would be great

Anyway, here is the shader I ended up with:

// Upgrade NOTE: replaced 'mul(UNITY_MATRIX_MVP,*)' with 'UnityObjectToClipPos(*)'Shader "Custom/Post Outline"{ Properties { _MainTex("Main Texture",2D) = "black"{} _SceneTex("Scene Texture",2D) = "black"{} _MyColor("My colour", Color) = (1, 1, 1, 1) // (R, G, B, A) } SubShader { Pass { CGPROGRAM sampler2D _MainTex; //_TexelSize is a float2 that says how much screen space a texel occupies. float2 _MainTex_TexelSize;#pragma vertex vert #pragma fragment frag#include "UnityCG.cginc" struct v2f { float4 pos : SV_POSITION; float2 uvs : TEXCOORD0; }; v2f vert(appdata_base v) { v2f o; //Despite the fact that we are only drawing a quad to the screen, Unity requires us to multiply vertices by our MVP matrix, presumably to keep things working when inexperienced people try copying code from other shaders. o.pos = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex); //Also, we need to fix the UVs to match our screen space coordinates. There is a Unity define for this that should normally be used. o.uvs = o.pos.xy / 2 + 0.5; return o; } half frag(v2f i) : COLOR { //arbitrary number of iterations for now int NumberOfIterations = 20; //split texel size into smaller words float TX_x = _MainTex_TexelSize.x; //and a final intensity that increments based on surrounding intensities. float ColorIntensityInRadius; //for every iteration we need to do horizontally for (int k = 0; k < NumberOfIterations; k += 1) { //increase our output color by the pixels in the area ColorIntensityInRadius += tex2D( _MainTex, i.uvs.xy + float2 ( (k - NumberOfIterations / 2)*TX_x, 0 ) ).r / NumberOfIterations; } //output some intensity of teal return ColorIntensityInRadius; } ENDCG } //end pass GrabPass{} Pass { CGPROGRAM sampler2D _MainTex; sampler2D _SceneTex; half4 _MyColor; //we need to declare a sampler2D by the name of "_GrabTexture" that Unity can write to during GrabPass{} sampler2D _GrabTexture; //_TexelSize is a float2 that says how much screen space a texel occupies. float2 _GrabTexture_TexelSize;#pragma vertex vert#pragma fragment frag#include "UnityCG.cginc" struct v2f { float4 pos : SV_POSITION; float2 uvs : TEXCOORD0; }; v2f vert(appdata_base v) { v2f o; //Despite the fact that we are only drawing a quad to the screen, Unity requires us to multiply vertices by our MVP matrix, presumably to keep things working when inexperienced people try copying code from other shaders. o.pos = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex); //Also, we need to fix the UVs to match our screen space coordinates. There is a Unity define for this that should normally be used. o.uvs = o.pos.xy / 2 + 0.5; return o; } half4 frag(v2f i) : COLOR { //arbitrary number of iterations for now int NumberOfIterations = 20; //split texel size into smaller words float TX_y = _GrabTexture_TexelSize.y; //and a final intensity that increments based on surrounding intensities. half ColorIntensityInRadius = 0; //if something already exists underneath the fragment (in the original texture), discard the fragment. if (tex2D(_MainTex,float2( i.uvs.x,1-i.uvs.y)).r > 0) { return tex2D(_SceneTex,float2(i.uvs.x,1- i.uvs.y)); } //for every iteration we need to do vertically for (int j = 0; j < NumberOfIterations; j += 1) { //increase our output color by the pixels in the area ColorIntensityInRadius += tex2D( _GrabTexture, float2(i.uvs.x, i.uvs.y) + float2 ( 0, (j - NumberOfIterations / 2)*TX_y ) ).r / NumberOfIterations; } //this is alpha blending, but we can't use HW blending unless we make a third pass, so this is probably cheaper. half4 outcolor = ColorIntensityInRadius * _MyColor * 2 + (1 - ColorIntensityInRadius)*tex2D(_SceneTex,float2(i.uvs.x, 1-i.uvs.y)); return outcolor; } ENDCG } //end pass } //end subshader}//end shader

well saving and loading currently works
all the visual scripting nodes get serialized, items in the scene get serialized, inventories get serialized, character positions and rotations get serialized
for the sake of testing it's limited to one save file, not sure if i should bother with more than that
the game essentialy has all the important parts working, minus changing scenes and adding/removing npcs from a scene at runtime
i'd like to imagine that the load times aren't too horrible, but it's unity, i can't really do much more

Attached: test 2018-03-18 14-20-23-64_VP8.webm (800x600, 10.32M)

That's not unity's fault, that's you

tons of shit happens in Start, ideally i'm supposed to just load the scene and then in LateUpdate check if scripts that depend on each other are ready to start, after which doing their setup
but a 40 second optimization isn't really my priority at the moment

Are you implying that there are performance issues in there somewhere that take up even more time?

no, i mean that i'm not at the stage where i need to worry about optimizations
there's hardly any content in the game as is, no point in polishing a shiny box of nothing

If it's taking this long to load nothing then it's critical you fix that before you start making a game.

I think this is a special case where you should look into optimizing the load time this early, because testing things is going to get real tedious if you need to wait 40 seconds for the game to boot every time you change a line of code.

Would that even work though? There are problems with that approach e.g. the cross product of two Vector2 vectors is a Vector3 along the z axis.

Nice.

I agree. Being able to test and iterate quickly is important; having a performance bottleneck that takes almost a solid minute to start will waste time.

God this is awful. Greentext is mine, redtext is yours, text is comments

I read the last line and then skimmed through it again to see if I missed something

actually building the game already takes forever for obvious reasons, so the 1 minute load time isn't exactly noticable in the long run
meanwhile in the editor it loads fast enough to test since all the assets are already in memory

either way, it's not Unity's fault loading times are that godawful

Notice how I said a paragraph, there's more to this shit.
I said he bought blood vials, should have added that he imported them.
Character is a drug addict doing military service, his team lost and he was pulled out, barely alive. He's considering just giving up and going back to rehab.
After telling me to kill myself? Just tell me what's wrong man, you don't have to be a dick. I'm putting myself out there.

that user is trying to drag you kicking and screaming out of edgeville

Attached: image.png (1280x720, 861.28K)

How is it edgy?
It's a drug addict in a warzone
Should I add rainbows, say the operation was all okay and he made it out with no issues whatsoever?

Here's the thing, user. Is this all necessary? Having that long a backstory doesn't inherently make your character interesting or your story deep. Just strikes me as overproduced.
You could even keep all of that, but fucking hell, do you need a Bio for it? Just describe it in subtle drops in in-game conversations. Even I know to do that, and I'm making a fucking platformer.

This is for me actually, it's reference for inner game dialogue and stuff. I just want to know if it's the right material. If Players like it I can release it in a wiki later.

Didn't catch that, sorry.
No, the issue is:

actually you might be wrong
i removed all the terrain/buildings and it loads nearly instantly
seems like it's more of an issue with memory/probuilder, not so much with my scripts

There are many ways to do dynamic damage, but it is hard to think of a game that actually does it other than Metal Gear Revengeance and some voxel-based games
Either way sounds like a lot of work

nice stuff

anyone knows how to properly do error log in Godot2?
like it has builtin function for printerr to standard error output, but what does that mean?

Yo, I like the name Magic Jack, don't change it.

evidence
guess i don't have to bother doing anything on my scripts
how do i optimize just meshes in a scene with the goal of faster loading?

Attached: test 2018-03-18 17-21-50-83_VP8.webm (800x600, 2.34M)

Vector2, Vector3, etc. and they all implement the Vector interface.

Sounds retarded, Allah, Souria, Bashar.

Hey there, anons. Reworking my UI from the ground up to make it more abstracted and organized. Ended up redesigning my vitals display. Ended up running into an issue, where tiling tiny textures ends up "blending" them somehow and producing visual artifacts. Any UE4 wizards willing to explain to me exactly what my stupid ape brain isn't doing right here? The bigger picture is what it needs to look like; The smaller one is the true-scale version with the artifact.

Attached: Screenshot_180.png (737x336 3.59 KB, 18.24K)

Probably the texture filtering. Looks like you want nearest neighbor.

Attached: 6963-texturefilter.png (427x327, 17.61K)

There's also a second issue, but that's a design one, so I thought you guys might have some good ideas. Left to right, my top display block is showing: perceived temperature, health points, and comfort percentage, which dictates how quickly health regens from nutrition. Temperature is easy enough. Instantly understandable. HP is a common way to mark health. How the fuck do I mark comfort? I tried a shortened "comfort points" just like health points but uh, it can be taken the wrong way and isn't instantly readable. So, I thought of maybe adding icons, but it feels like it could take away from the reserved look. Plus, what are the conventions in adding signs to display values in interface design? Is putting them above acceptable? Putting them on the left of the values will offset the text and fuck up my feng shui because I'm autistic like that.

Need help anons, my brain is doing me a stupid.

I use 2D Pixels texture group which does not filter the texture. I gave it a shot though and tried Nearest filter and it ended up with the same artifact.

As I was typing I've found a mipmap option. Turning it off cured the artifact. Thanks for taking time to help.

Attached: 1446616068523.jpg (953x953, 147.99K)

This. Easy money, everybody loves bacon.

That won't work since I'm in C# and a lot of the methods are static (which can't implement interfaces). If I push it down to the instance level, then it gets cluttered.

Put the static methods in the interface?

If you don't want the comfort meter to have sexual connotations: make it a discomfort meter.

Be brutally honest

How is her face? looks too derpy?

Attached: looks slightly better.png (1393x800, 140K)

I'd say so. It feels like her eyes are too low on the head, and that tooth is reminding me of that asian chick Mark used to use for the spoiler box.

Comfort meter sounds more comfy. Discomfort meter suggests that discomfort is the status quo.

Put some hair on the hoor before I accuse her of having a fivehead.

"Derpy" is not the word I'd use. I think it looks a little weird. The proportions are better on the right. I think you should tweak this. The texture has this sort of warm look, which is lost on the model because of that stretch - it makes the eyes look more open and alert.

I think there's too much head space and not enough face,if that makes any sense.

I think you overdid it a little bit with the blush.
But otherwise looks fine. Would have a better idea if you had hair to put on it.

I will try to change the UV Mapping instead of the texture this time

Anime characters are like that, only about half of the head is used for the face

I will try a bit more, then add hair before i continue

Attached: topology reference.png (1280x640, 433.65K)

cute

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (733x800, 474.24K)

im thinking about giving her a bit longer hair

Why have a comfort meter at all if comfort is the status quo? You could just use an alert icon for discomfort if the assumption is that the character is most always comfortable. If you want the player to manage comfort then I don't think making it obvious that they have a certain level of discomfort is inappropriate.

In my game there will be a comfy bar, it will give experience bonuses and increases if you walk instead of running everywhere, take naps, eat tasty food, chat with the girls and do activities with them
You will be able to organize picnics and camp in the mountains for huge comfy bonuses

This way i can reward players who play slow, but players who want to run everywhere and min-max still gain normal experience and are not punished

Attached: achieved comfyness.jpg (1280x720, 289.65K)

Comfort is a very important value, it basically encourages the player to seek comfortable conditions to get his health to regenerate faster. Something that is this dependent on your current surroundings has to be readily available at all times, to help the player understand how it works, and be intuitive. It's basically not about punishing the player for being uncomfortable, but rather about rewarding the player for being comfortable. Cooking good food, being warm, wearing appropriate clothes and being fed and hydrated.

This is actually very close to what I've got written down, except it's a little more stat-based. It's my solution to the age-old problem with sandbox games - roleplay crowd vs PvP chad crowd. Basically turning everything that would normally be considered vacuous roleplay into something that is actually beneficial to do.

Can someone help me remember the name of a game?
It's a 3d game with flat textures. It's mainly focus is on simulating guns. There is a lot of fine grain control over each gun. There are also some small flying helicopter enemies. The people who make it give it away free with most/all of their other games.
I want to analyze how it's control scheme is laid out and see if there's anything I can take from it.

Receiver?

That's it. Thank you.

In a way I'm tempted to try this in 3D, which carries certain perks like not having to redraw an object facing different directions, but I'm sure it would be more technically complicated overall. I'm also not a fan of action games that aren't first-person or camera-behind-the-character for some reason, which is another reason for wanting to go 3D. I'd like to hear others' reasons for picking 2D over 3D or vice versa.

Attached: 1360491250134.png (417x291, 133.13K)

Sprite rotation algorithm unless it's isometric top down then sorry for posting

I chose 3D over 2D, because I'm not that big a fan of 2D. One of the biggest factors of games that make them enjoyable to me is exploration, and that simply doesn't work as well in 2D as it does in 3D. There is so much more you can do with your level design in 3D. Being able to take a look around makes all the difference in the world.
So, that's it. Personal preference and 3D working better with the gameplay I have in mind.

Thought about 2.5D? It's when you make what is technically a 3D game, but restrict the camera in the same way a 2D game would. Little Big Planet would be an example. The assets are 3D, but it's still a sidescroller. You could use normal 3D lighting algorithms, if you did that and would get realistic shading easily.

A lot of 2D games are actually 3D but aren't readily apparent. Incidentally, more dimensions usually leads to flatter level design.

If you take a full, 3D level, and broke it into a graph of edges and nodes, say SM64's Tall, Tall, Mountain stage for example, you can map out every "choice" the player makes for navigating the level and express it as a graph of 2D nodes. What this means is that the level itself ends up being playable just the same, on paper, and within a 2D plane. Because of this abstraction, a lot of supposedly 3D games boils down to 2D choices.

On the other side, you have games like Rogue or Dwarf Fortress. Some games (especially platformers) are expressly 2D, and that's fine. But you get large, 2D tile-based layers in the case of the former games, and several layers make it truly 3D. The only 3D game that feels 3D off the top of my head is Descent. Everything else is just presentation or fakery.

Attached: tfw too smart elephant.jpg (1024x1186, 186.15K)

Related, the only 4D game released to date.

Attached: Rick and Morty_ Virtual Rick-ality – PSX 2017_ Announce Trailer _ PS VR.mp4 (854x480, 11.8M)

Oh come oh, that's not fair.
You know damn well 90% of "3d" games can be distilled into pure 2D mechanics, and occasionally have a bullet with a Z value check against a player's Z value. The Z space is so often unused that there's little point in designing around it unless you go full full 3D

Yes, usually, it boils down to walking in a certain direction and jumping, which could be represented in two axes, but I'm not certain what exactly it is you want. It's like arguing that we might as well exist on a 2D plane because we, too, can only really move in one direction at a time and jump.

meant for

I'm saying that your mechanics should embrace their 2D nature and go about it in that mindset, rather than cobble together a 2D game that pretends to be 3D and falls short

So occasionally a platform that you need to turn right or left to get to. Got it.

I'm working on a 3d platformer, so I'm now curious to ask: since according to you, Mario 64 can be boiled down to 2D actions, should it have been 2D, in your mind?

And to add to that, what, pray tell, should be added to make a game utilize the third axis to your liking, exactly?

Jesus Christ, user. I don't even know where to begin with that.
You've made two mistakes there.
>What this means is that the level itself ends up being playable just the same[…]
That's incorrect. If anything, they would be equivalent, which is a big difference.
Anyway, the more important mistake is that you only consider the level itself, divorced from the rest of the game. You can't do that, because there is more to a level than just the decisions you make. The decision tree that you get as a result is an insufficient model. If you'd actually play such a tree with a program on your computer with nothing else attached to it and a minimal presentation, you'd play a text-based adventure game. You can't reduce every game down into a text-based adventure and claim they're equivalent, because they're not. The reason for that is that both, the presentation of the level and the mechanics with which the player interacts with it, are relevant to the experience.
No, that's just wrong. It doesn't get any flatter than 2D. Two-dimensional is the very definition of "flat".
3D games are mostly "fakery", but 2D games with multiple layers are "truly 3D"? Did I get that right? I'm asking, because that may very well be the most retarded thing I've ever read on /agdg/. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing the point you're trying to make, because I think I know what it is. However, you're tripping all over your terminology to the point where what you say doesn't make any sense.
You're either 2D or 3D. There is no "2D but it's actually 3D". Your world either has a z-axis or it doesn't. The implied verticality of a 2D game with multiple layers doesn't make it three dimensional; a third axis does.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the point you're trying to make is that most 3D games don't use the six degrees of freedom that you have in three dimensional space to the full extent. Thus they're not "real" 3D. user, it doesn't have to use six DOF to be 3D. I agree that most 3D games don't have good level design (in particular in the vertical department), but that doesn't make them not 3D. For the overwhelming majority of genres it doesn't make sense to have six DOF movement.

Attached: Hakutaku18.png (600x347, 55.67K)

Rendering a 2D game in 3D isn't pretending to be 3D, just like rendering a 3D game in 2D isn't pretending to be 2D.

Yeah basically this

Then why is 2.5D a thing? They're 2D games at core.

2.5D can't be it's own thing?

Attached: we just don't know.gif (250x250, 415.13K)

"2.5D" isn't a thing. It's a convenient, non-literal shorthand like "Half an A-Press." You can't have a half of a spacial dimension. A 2.5D game may only use two dimensions for gameplay, but it's still a 3D game, because a 3D space is being created and displayed.

Sounds massively gay. Are you a sandnigger?

Yeah, 3/4 perspective (if that's an accurate term) is what I meant, sorry for not specifying.

This is one of the reasons I would have for using 3D.

This is a pretty good point, though I think the number of dimensions a game is presented in will affect the experience even if it might play similarly otherwise. Imagine if Doom was top-down instead of first-person.

Doom and Wolfenstein actually were topdown logically, then displayed with fake 3D techniques

I think that's more the case with Wolfenstein. Certain parts of Doom seem to actually work off of the z-axis, projectiles being able to fly over you is one example. Regardless, both would play differently if viewed from above and not from a first-person perspective, but I see your point.

What about a game with three dimensional time?

Attached: peter-molyneux-300x241.jpg (300x241, 12.76K)

I think I know one.

Attached: spoiler.webm (640x360, 2.46M)

how did she shoot herself

Bullet ricochet

She was shooting bottles, and tried to bounce the bullet off of a car bumper, and it bounced into her instead.

Can a bullet even ricochet directly back to the shooter? I feel like that's physically impossible, but I wouldn't put it past the devs to just not give a shit.

It's made by French people, in other words, people who have never seen a gun in their lives.

I didn't realize this game was so realistic

It's common sense not to shoot at a solid object, so if that's founded, then definitely. There's

I guess this game must have better bullet physics than Arma…

All the ranges I've been to have stealth rocks or something in the back

Attached: image.png (870x434 2.88 MB, 593.92K)

/k/ here, bullets absolutely can and will ricochet right back at you.

Attached: ricochet.webm (854x480, 3.02M)

This is why you NEVER shoot anything at a surface that facing you. The surface should always flat (a controlled direction) and significantly angled away from you. If you angle it toward the ground, make sure you angle it enough that an resulting ricochet won't again ricochet off the ground and still come back at you.

Attached: slingshot ricochet.webm (898x506, 3.97M)

Ouch, that looks like it hurt. Did he survive?

I doubt he died from that

It's a scripted scene anyway.
Both the story and the time mechanic are pants on head retarded to begin with.

naw he did that's why they had to end breaking bad

He's fine, and a little bit smarter. Though with the force of the slingshots he typical uses, it was actually a possibility he could have fucking killed himself.

Holy fuck, poor guy. That could've easily killed him if it broke his skull.

Attached: 0a0b7e8f9bc2f22912bcbd1b97daa18b0ae391702b106b8ea9771905ba310b6c.png (661x716, 289.3K)

didn't he bring that entirely on himself?

You can't predict that shit.

I notice that I'VE never been shot in the head with a slingshot

lol what a gay

aww shit this reminds me… going threw the developer commentary for L4D they had a clip that explained that they cut network costs by not giving the z potion for zombies and did some fancy math to just kinda assume their z position based upon their location to make syncing multiple games easier.

That caught me a bit off guard.

I remember that too but I couldn't find the relevant one.
These are quite interesting anyway:
valvesoftware.com/publications/2009/ai_systems_of_l4d_mike_booth.pdf
valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/GDC10_ShaderTechniquesL4D2.pdf

Nabbed a better monitor for my new devastation. Went from single shifty 1080p to 3440x1440 with srgb for better colors. Much comfier.

Attached: JPEG_20180318_173210.jpg (2560x1920 1002.09 KB, 1.03M)

Devstation*

Attached: dilbert sengen kagura.jpg (544x360, 136.56K)

How do you like your LG Tribute 5?

Fuck everything about the phone and fuck clearing EXIF data.

Protip: "convert [image] -strip [new_image]" will strip exif data off of images, provided you're on linux with imagemagick instaled.

Is it possible for a first person Cuhrayzee to exist?

Attached: Memri tv part 48_3cb942_6550670.jpg (1200x827, 98.8K)

haha funny text replacers get funnier every single time

The >>>/agdg/ board is being spammed, is the board admin here?

tbh at this point I'm getting a little annoyed because it reeks of agenda by whomever is setting up those filters. Kinda weird considering how much 8ch hates censorship on principle. But that's just my opinion.

Also for what it's worth, it looks like there's a sister thread on >>>/vg/ now.

Except it's faked with MSPaint, he posted a making of video the next day. But he does explain how dangerous ricochets are anyway, so actually watch it you newfags.

Shitscord sells your data as much as Faceberg does. stop using it you double retard.

There's always been a thread in /vg/ for 4chan newfags.

The closest thing I can think of would be DemonSteele

Neat, he sold it pretty well.

Attached: Dongy Bong.jpg (640x608, 60.39K)

People always assume using C or Assembly is the real Programmers language, but actually it is Blueprints. Not because it's superior, but because suffering makes you stronger and appreciate good languages.

Attached: eoF7lEG.jpg (1668x955, 651.04K)

visual scripting really shouldn't be used for the base frameworks
t. nodev who pretends to know shit

Attached: switchObj.png (1366x768 151.8 KB, 120.61K)

Let me guess. Someone thinks that looks "impressive."

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (384x512, 526.34K)

there are people out there who simply cannot program who are solving problems
his name is pajeet
who are you to stop him?

Attached: image.png (2229x1070, 216.8K)

gas him

Preach it, brother.
Anyone interested should check out this great book. It's supposed to be about physics specifically, but most of it will still apply no matter what you're doing and it's easily the best resource on the subject.

Attached: 3d5c1a743bdba3e7f22c8e282f8f5d2332f4812c833bfe126cb9ca13d18766ad.png (432x494, 230.44K)

Wait, since when does Unity have visualmeme?

Well, being able to keep track in that mess deserves some sort of respect. I remember doing my first project without using comments or a documentary, never gain.

It doesn't, user added it himself.

I see the pickle faggot quickly got bored with fucking up >>>/agdg/ but when can we expect a cleanup?

actually it does have a framework for making your own visual interface
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Playables.html
but i only found out about this a month or two ago, and my own shit is already more or less integraded with the game so i didn't see a point in switching

stop smoking you fag

How do I do this for vector/polygon shapes?

I can't find anything, what search term should I use? Is there a library for this kind of stuff?

Attached: Untitled.png (966x463, 11.88K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_operations_on_polygons
davis.wpi.edu/~matt/courses/clipping/
extras.springer.com/2005/978-1-84628-108-2/VattiClip.pdf

smoking where?

a high achieved weeb I see, which country user?

Yes but a lot of people are mad at mark this week and have been trickling over that way

What did he eat this time?

…did you miss the wedding?
Also, morning lads. I did a fair amount of research into MIDI this weekend, would anyone be interested in an info dump or would I be wasting time better spent just like making game?

Saging my own double post, but if you grab a screenshot of your image it shouldn't have any exif data in it and usually a screen shot is big enough for an imageboard. I just tested the Windows snip tool, and the image gave pretty much nothing here: exif.regex.info/exif.cgi
PNGAnimation noBit Depth 8Color Type RGB with AlphaCompression Deflate/InflateFilter AdaptiveImage Size 969 × 463Interlace NoninterlacedSRGB Rendering PerceptualGamma 2.2Pixels Per Unit X 5,669Pixels Per Unit Y 5,669Pixel Units metersFile — basic information derived from the file.File Size 68 kBFile Type PNGFile Type Extension pngMIME Type image/pngCompositeThis block of data is computed based upon other items. Some of it may be wildly incorrect, especially if the image has been resized.Megapixels 0.449

Kek

There is a reason why you slightly angle practice targets and put sand behind/beneath it etc. If the thing you shoot is hard and pointing directly at you, there is a chance it ricochets back at you or someone standing near to you. Several years back i watched a youtube channel with some dude doing test shots with new rifles, his last video was a mourning video or something because his camera man died due to ricochet.

Good to know, although i am not a fan of visual stuff. To each his own i guess.

Attached: a29f3d49cb84536f1c199c877c….jpg (478x449, 39.14K)

something something game night sonic thread sticky drama

Just look over the three threads on >>>/sudo/ bitching about him

slightly less placeholderish UI
also minor bugfixes/improvements

Curved to me seems like a very comfy attribute for a monitor to have. Easier on the eyes, too.

It's a joke, jackass. Read the names

It's just a crop of a screenshot some user took of some retard's blueprint script, with some text overlaid to make it look like a book. Then used it as bait and you chomped down on it like it was a steak.

Its no meme user. I just tripled my screen real estate and already use the benefits for better productivity. I can also see colors I wasnt able to see before on her hair texture.

Oh yes that poster wasnt cheap. I live with my beautiful 2d wife. The wedding sim got me a good job, house, and we live as a happy couple.

Attached: 20180317_202029.jpg (2560x1920, 1.33M)

curved is good for a personal monitor, anything else that requires multiple viewing angles and they become shit

"Fukyu Duin" should have tipped you off. Read it out loud.

I don't mean to be an asshole, but are you really content with your lifestyle? I mean at this point this whole waifu thing is starting to come off as unhealthy and obsessive. Again, not trying to start shit.

Attached: CjcQBE6.jpg (362x346, 35.67K)

You showed it off as a portfolio piece?
You got hired after that?
You have balls of steel, user.

Attached: Whats_going_on_here.png (213x337, 71.6K)

truer words have never been said

Attached: 1422987871329.png (542x248, 313.35K)

Nigger, the man loves his waifu. This isn't some joke as normalfags take it, he actually loves her. The amount of work and dedication that he's willing to put into her is impressive, and it's also not something that any real vagina could ever appreciate.

This isn't really funny, and being attached to things that don't actually exist to the point of romance is in the realm of actual mental illness that is worrying and should not be encouraged.

Do you actually use that much in production, seriously? I've actually gone the other direction. I ditched two 1080p monitors for a single (smaller even) higher DPI screen with a better resolution.

Queue where_do_you_think_we_are.webm

Attached: a normie moment.png (736x530, 183.37K)

you can only take a fantasy life so far before it becomes an unhealthy obsession, even people on mongolian tapestry boards can see this

Attached: 7624dae6241c19b1924d3d4a92981312a935d1df97c16fdc8fdb5370b57dda58.jpg (429x479, 30.14K)

A person wallowing in his flaws and weaknesses like a pig in the mud is a tragedy. If you have a problem, you find a solution and fix it. Otherwise, you're basically accepting that you are defective and inferior. It's developmental suicide. You know who else glorifies mental illness? Tumblr.

Humans naturally need some sort of attachment, it's an unfortunate biological trait. The difference, however, is that a waifu is a much safer choice than a real woman. Your waifu won't lie and betray you, so you won't ever have to deal with the heartbreak that's commonplace and expected from a real person.
It's like how anonymous interactions with people are far safer than ones with real people, or even with usernames. If you were to say something objectionable, people could easily ruin your life, or mock you for the rest of your life, but you can leave a thread if you do that on an imageboard and move on.

Sure, you could say that it's unhealthy, but you have to realize that, most likely, if user didn't have his waifu, he'd be completely alone, refusing to seek real people because they'd only hurt him, and that would drive him to saw off a shotgun and shoot it.
I don't know the state of mind of that user, however, so I can only guess based on my own life.

What problem? He's happy, bothers no one, doesn't try to get laws passed that allow him to marry his waifu, and he's Mexican so it's not like he has a duty to keep his birthrates up.

The dude taught himself to render in 3D and created himself a waifu. Sounds like he had a problem and found a solution.
I know I'm triggered af, fam.

Attached: RoK3e0.jpg (600x718, 154.77K)

$12,000,000 in Paragon Assets Released for Free! | Unreal Engine
:D

There's nothing healthier than spending time with your beloved.

You're deflecting from what seems to be a serious obsession by saying that "well, he solved another problem he had so it's okay!". I'm concerned about a fellow dev - I wouldn't give a fuck if he was some random user. I know he has merit and there's value to be lost if he further loses grip on reality.

He's in love with an imaginary character. That's delusional. Mental illness festers if left unchecked.

You have trust issues and are paranoid. Not everyone is out to get you.

sage for offtopic

Shut up bitch, love knows no bounds

Progress on Sasha's hair, 25% done

Attached: sasha.png (700x786, 109.14K)

I shouldn't be so surprised
okay, that doesn't surprise me at all.
shinobufag has a pure love that the likes of you could never understand.

Attached: 362e6d33b4c9db1634141eb339859d26ea97bd10049ecb34dc4c620002ade4cb.png (305x352, 61.4K)

your discussions will lead us nowhere
only numbers are valid
poal.me/tef0xi

Everyone has obsessions, some are stronger than others, some are unhealthy and some are more normalfaggy, but everyone has them in some way or another. No one can change his mind on this topic except he himself no matter what anons will tell him. I mean if someone told you to stop deving games, would you? All we can do is hope he at least has the will to reproduce someday and understand what he is doing might not be the best thing and offer our opinion.

Damn those chinks aren't kidding around, with all the assets they have available now you could make an entire game at this point.

Nobody is trying to bully him, and I wouldn't care if I didn't care about his well-being. This waifu shit is a good way to actually damage your own sanity.

You joke, but eventually this could lead to a serious delusion.

I wouldn't stop devving games in any scenario, but you're comparing a love for a craft to a romance with a non-existent entity. It's two very different things, user.

you really don't belong here

Attached: 15899defb3b1284fc53d544277924cb9a1debd81f9d3ea20590e2d786f204148.gif (354x417, 936.11K)

Jesus fuck this voice, its some form of a transfaggot. HOW CAN THEY SERIOUSLY THINK A SANE PERSON WANTS TO HEAR THAT. No wonder they didn't sell gaymess.

Give the character a bulge and use it as a mandatory diversity character

stop feeding someone's insane delusions, it will end badly for everyone

Attached: 357bf26025c51709fa54f75388e8d9bf4f25627551e92573b498ca2eecc9cdb1.jpg (249x281, 21.62K)

It's not the same and obviously making videogames isn't as unhealthy as fictional lovers you're right on that, but both can be an obsession, everything can be an obsession, that's what i am saying and no one can turn people around from their obsessions, you won't stop deving and he won't stop loving his fictional waifu, all we can do is offer our opinion on this matter and hope but it's something he has to do himself. Your posts will just bounce off of him no matter how often you repeat it, condense your opinion into one post, offer it once and be done with it.

You know, I guess you're right. I just hope he gets better in the future. He's got a lot of talent and he clearly works hard.

Why wouldn't it? If nothing else his wedding sim shows off that he knows a thing or two about VR development. Since that's the hot button topic of today, I'm not shocked it got him a job.

It's not about a lack of talent, we all can admit that he's good at what he does, it's just moreso that most wouldn't show their power level like that.

Anons, can you please not derail this thread? I'm not saying that your concerns are unfounded. Hell, I agree that what he's doing could lead to some very bad places, if his obsession got out of hand, which it may already have. But I don't know the guy so I'm not in the position to judge him. However, I'm noticing a trend here. Starting some threads ago, there has been a lot of derailment and shitting up of threads. The quality of these threads has taken a nosedive as of late. And I'd prefer it, if that stopped before it gets too bad.

Attached: 1462374119129.gif (500x556, 330.76K)

Yeah I agree. I dropped it a post or so above.

i don't really think it matters is if the thread is already over 300 posts

I didn't realise this thread had so many normalfags. Gonna have to rethink my participation.

Front part done, now im unsure how i want the side/back part, i want her hair to have short/medium length, but i can't decide which style

Attached: sasha.png (700x786, 104.52K)

Depends i guess, if he applied to some company that has weebs, does weeb games or doesn't have a problem with weebs why not, you would be right in case he applies to a normalfag or SJW studio though.

I agree and apologize for derailment

cute, maybe pic related might be helpful to choose a style.

Attached: 1450275652292.png (2100x2000, 1.59M)

Saving that ref thanks

Maybe some short twintails would work…
What haircut says "energetic" better?

Yeah, because anons having kids, talking about their irl gamedev careers yes, this makes shinobudev relatively a normalfag, he isn't NEET, he lives a healthy life, outside his waifuism, taking part in meatspace gamejams and you know… actually doing something with their lives wasn't a giveaway that agdg isn't as degenerate as the rest of this board.

also:
We don't really need your participation. I don't think you ever really contributed anything. Go to that abortion of a thread on >>>/vg/ and die.

You sure seem upset. Struck too close to home, faggot?

You're the one seemingly frothing at the mouth. Take your medicine, user

I'm not sure what leads you to believe I'm "frothing at the mouth"

The fact that your three posts in this thread are calling some a jackass, a faggot, and whining about normalfags. You come off as someone full of anger and unable to control himself.

*someone

Well I suppose you just have a poor sense of comprehension, no worries

You're a normalfag. I've always wanted to live single. So I just added a waifu I treat as an extension of myself to make it even more fun. She's not a weakness but a strength that made me a successful person. Keep drinking that soy flavored kool aid.

This is very sad, and I hope you're trolling.

Keep doing what you're doing my friend. I'm not sure how the normalfags got in but don't let them give you grief.

Go back to wherever you came from

As far as i know sporty or tsundere energetic anime grills tend to have either short hair like the two top layers or very long hair/twintail like lowest layer. Try putting some of these hair styles on top of your head in photoshop or something and make comparisons.

Energetic made me think of athletic, even if it isn't necessarily exclusive. But those types usually have either short hair or hold their hair in pony tails. Looking at ,
something like 10 or 20 would work.

Shinobu user is mexican?
I thought he only caused earthquakes there

what about this?

Attached: sasha.png (700x786, 116.29K)

Just stop you massive fucking faggot. This isn't even shitposting, it's just posting shit.

Attached: Get out.webm (640x360, 1.7M)

How about you all faggots go and make a game

Attached: ql9iag962.png (258x299, 26.9K)

user but what the fuck are we supposed to do while the project is compiling?

but making assets is hard

Think about what step you're going to do next.

Pretty much this. I have half an hour to kill.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (434x576, 86.96K)

This. These threads are turning into straight cancer. AS OPPOSED TO GAY CANCER

but I already know what I'm going to do next - cry and hit my head against the desk because the code i just compiled don't work right. On a serious note I have my game design doc written out for at least 6 months ahead so I'm literally just going through the motions and twiddling my thumbs while shit's cooking/loading/building/compiling

Gay cancer will come when someone decides to host a VR wedding for his waifu (male).

Yeah something like that plus maybe a bit of tan because sporty girls typically are outside, but that's just my opinion fetish.

Attached: 21e3bd29908daad22929306ecc098814c78fd93376b7cac4fca464cdc09926cd2.png (700x786, 104.33K)

What kind of game are you making? Does it have a story/campaign?
My dev rig died so I can't work directly on my game while I'm waiting for replacement parts. Currently I'm storyboarding my game. It's fun.

We're proud of you.

at least we didn't start shitting up the thread before it started sliding

honestly, if one of you faggots ever comes out as a literal faggot or some trans piece of shit, I will bully them to death

what if i can implement dynamic tan in the summer?
with i can, i mean my brother can

Implementing that isn't hard, you just create mask texture to only target the skin and either add a color to the texture dynamically or lerp between a tan skin and a light skin texture.
In which case you need a qt redhead that gets freckles instead.

Dynamic tan would imply tan marks, that would imply that the game needs to know which clothes the girls are wearing and apply tan only to exposed areas

Found the perfect example on google, this is the type of grill i mean. And as said making a dynamic tan isn't too hard, it's just lerping between two textures or color values.

Attached: Ikumi_Mito.png (1600x900, 1.47M)

Go back to devving. And no I've never been suicidal, lonely, or socially awkward. Is it really so hard to imagine a sane man just doing shit for fun?

Attached: 1839b800c29347eaa643f4c250237ad7f90bbdfb73e4811dbe05968e7949f4b8.jpg (204x265, 37.27K)

Yeah okay, that level of detail would be a tad harder. Maybe a mask for each clothing piece, and writing to a separate texture how tanned an area is, then using that instead of the tan mask in my other post.

Oh and about the qt redhead
I hope you guys won't be autistically screeching about my daughteru being in the game as your main rival, and no, you won't be able to bone her without mods

Attached: cutest vivian qt.png (480x640, 311.01K)

Attached: GOD......._DAAAAAAAAAAAMNNNNNNN.jpg (735x460, 67.5K)

I'm working on a first-person sandbox game. The three main goals are comfiness, complex autistic systems, like cooking, logic-based wiring, a more involved building system than these kinds of games normally have, etc. I absolutely love these kinds of games but it really bums me out that nearly everything that is currently out there really drops the ball by lacking the actual gameplay that sandbox games are meant to have in favor of stupid shit, or piling on unfinished systems. At the moment I'm writing the framework for the game that will allow me to easily write sandbox-oriented shit. The story and lore exists, but a campaign would be a mistake in a sandbox game. I'd like to tell the story through environments, flora, fauna and procedurally generated "manmade" structures. At the most I'd love to have an intro narrated like a fairytale, hinting onto the lore of the game. Some of the inspirations are Morrowind, STALKER, Minecraft, SteveMREInfo1989 and Icelandic experimental music

I'm a little bad at concisely explaining what I'm hoping to create, but basically imagine Minecraft without cubes, with much more respect for what it is, and much more autistic and detailed approach to it's systems. And no, it's not mainly a survival game. I do have some elements of that but those are mostly to encourage you to do different kinds of sandboxy tasks. Admittedly though, I am pretty scared of falling into the traps that made most other sandbox games fail, like scope creep and lack of GDD, so I wrote out my document like it's the new bible.

Attached: nordic-landscape-nature-photography-iceland-1.jpg (915x551, 121.04K)

Man, the post came out rambley. I forgot to mention that the third goal was enabling exploration. Sorry if it's hard to read, I'm just really exhausted.

That sounds way too ambitious to do alone, still, i wish you good luck user

If you're a one-man army, see you in 8 years and good luck.

I admit that it is a lot, but I think that if I'm smart with my programming I'll be able to get it done. I've got a friend who's passionate about the project, too, and he's been working on models for the game, which are not too bad for low-poly. Hopefully, though - they'll be placeholders and will do just fine until I manage to attract someone who is willing to join us and help with doing things a little more professionally on that front.

I'm not entirely alone, but I'm doing the more time-consuming stuff, like programming, sound design and animation. I hope that when I have something cohesive to show I'll be able to get more people on board and possibly (((funding))). In any case, the only way for me is forward. I've already decided that I'm going to see this thing through to the end and I'm not about to give up just because it's difficult.

Just make sure you don't give up, if you truly believe in your dream project you will eventually finish it unless you die, also if you don't show confidence in it you friend will probably lose motivation

you better start posting somewhere public to get feedback, otherwise it is just a masturbatory exercise

I've been obsessed with this concept since I was like 9. Way before multiplayer sandbox games became what they are today. For me, it's the dream videogame I always wanted to make. It's why I learned everything I've learned so far - just to make it. Honestly with the way things are going right now I think I'll make it, I'm too in love with the concept not to.

Same boat as me then. I've got one guy who will work with me once he comes back from vacation.
My project is very ambitious, too, but that's alright. I'd rather shoot for the stars and fail to deliver, than create something that is so mediocre and meaningless it may as well not even exist. I'm not in it for the sake of making games. I want to make good games.
Be sure to add your project to the wiki as soon as you have anything at all to show. Even if it's just basic gameplay with placeholder graphics. I'd like follow your project.

I've got a couple of people I trust to give me useful feedback. The story is not going public before the release of the demo.

Attached: f78699c47e184c3ca6918107a0dd471794fb4353cff6331665d8a6b952a01674.jpg (782x577, 179.57K)

I'm planning to! I've still got a lot to cover, but as soon as I'm done with the basics and I have enough to show to not seem like an ideaguy I'll add it to the wiki, for sure. What game are you making?

The unnamed survival horror game made using UE4. 8agdg.wikidot.com/ue4-survival-project
Since I can't work on the game itself at the moment, I'll have time to flesh out the wiki page and add some actual information.

Oh! I'm working in UE4, too! That dynamic lighting demo reminds me of FEAR a little bit, and I appreciate the attention to lighting. It makes games much more alive.

Well, what can I say? I just love small details like these.

It is very likely because FEAR's environments deliberately white to make the blood, destruction and characters stand out more and fully emphasize the lighting and standard materials in modern engines have that greyish/white coloration to them.

I was reminded of this because I heard the same FEAR comparison with my previous project

So who got banned this time and became asspained enough to do this?

Attached: 2018-03-19.png (1254x1297, 354.66K)

strangest part is that he bumped random threads before going on a pickle rick rampage

(checked)
Yes thank you "based" spammer. Couldn't have done it any better.

Attached: 06e1bcc3b6e38536a91bee9fbe88a651b1c7a20f2443b217b6fde05e670897a6.jpg (440x660, 43.04K)

i finally bothered to make more events

Attached: test 2018-03-20 00-07-45-91_VP8.webm (1366x768 3.98 MB, 172.61K)

yeah there should have been an hourly thread limit

New thread