Sequelitis

Name some games where the second installment is where things start to go downhill.

Attached: earthwormjim2sm.jpg (759x656, 752.41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/wildflower_choa
allthetropes.org/wiki/Sequelitis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Halo 2. The series never recovered.

EAT DIRT, FAGGOT

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (666x864, 1.54M)

Attached: deus_ex.jpg (953x953, 84.62K)

Attached: hot and sweaty.png (512x526, 414.83K)

Attached: tomato cover.jpg (1204x1500, 352.27K)

I guess this going to get pushed on Holla Forums for the next few years.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (640x574 154.89 KB, 742.84K)

Gotta agree with you OP. Shiny went way too overboard with the minigame shit in EWJ2 and shit like Puppy Love isn't even hard, it's just obnoxious filler. Even the soundtrack was lazy.

Attached: 2600115-7026792616-Dark_.jpg (800x1137 174.35 KB, 159.73K)

Yes, we wanted a sequel after the first game's ending.
No, we did not want THAT sequel.

Attached: pe 2.jpg (500x475, 47.14K)

This 100%

makes me angry everytime i see it.

I don't understand this BS about ME2 being the best in the series. It wasn't awful in comparison to 3, but it didn't have any of the first one's charm.

3, ODST, and even Reach are alright. It became irredeemable when 343 took over.

Recent ones are Evil Within 2, Dishonored 2, and Wolfenstein 2, notice a pattern evolving? Bethesda and Zenimax are fucking retards.

gimmick levels. I want run and gun like the first game.

kingdom hearts.

1: Disney fun with rpg elements
2: yaoi + Disney channel

Since none of those series were any good to begin with, I don't think you can say they went downhill. There hasn't been a good Wolfenstein game since 2003.

They had plenty of potential, executive meddling, hiring a libtard writer, some dyke feminist as a producer, rushed development, it's like the suits just told the devs to wrap everything up, all of those sequels were goddamn shit compared to the first game and killed the franchises, first games had better sale, the sequels only sold like 1/4 of the total sales of those games.

That wasn't the second installment.

Kingdom hearts 2 is the third game in the series though. Chain of memories is the second installment.

Attached: 7.jpg (1440x1080, 230.06K)

Are you retarded?
EWJ1 had just as many gimmick levels as the second one if not more. And proper levels were much worse.

Nigga i get liking the Oath, Ark, and Origin games but there's been way earlier fuck ups in the Ys series (namely 3 and 5) so it's more accurate to say Ys is all over the place.

Megaman X2 wasn't as good as the first one, but MMX3 was pretty good.

Attached: no-hopers.jpg (200x150, 44.82K)

Crysis 2
While the first one wasn't exactly the best thing in the world, it was an alright shooter. Meanwhile 2 took a steaming dump all over what made the first game interesting with "streamlined" suit powers, upgrades, and a tacked on CoD multiplayer that had no business existing.

But people have heard of it :^(

I have to disagree with Evil Within 2 since it went in the direction that people expected the first game to go in with horror but was third person resident evil.

I would say that new Mirror's Edge but that was a reboot/remake/reimagining. Still stupid to reboot a game that only has one game to a starting franchise.

Even though Crysis 2 is definitely worse than 1, I still found it quite enjoyable. And 3 is actually a bit better, like a middle ground between them.

Dawn of war 2.

Oh don't be so butthurt and defensive.

I liked The Evil Within 2 and I couldn't even finish the first one.
Sure it was watered down with generic western crap, but only slightly, and the impovements it brought actually made the game not completely shit.

Fuck off Arin, lazy useless piece of shit, you and that alien you call "wife".

Attached: grumpy grandpa.jpg (900x900, 68.04K)

RIP

He died as he lived.

Goddamnit that second half was so boring. I don't think I've ever had so little fun finishing a video game in my life.
I kinda preferred it to the first fable tho, as I could get an undead lady grey waifu, and have multiple children across towns. Plus the original fables towns weren't as interesting, and the game itself wasn't anywhere near what molyneux promised.
Also unrelated note, why does Miranda look great on the cover of ME2 but in game looks like a botoxed whore?

Attached: header.jpg (220x309 32.95 KB, 28.68K)

Nah, PE1 isn't bad but fuck the "get broken guns and facetank shit" late game combat.

It would be easier to list the ones that didn't

fuck you for reminding me

Attached: heather_silent_hill_3_by_kr0npr1nz-d75i75a.jpg (894x894, 183.13K)

Earthworm Jim 1 had gimmick levels but not nearly as much as 2 had. Speaking of levels, technically 1 had more levels than 2 had. It also had actual bosses. I don't remember there being hardly any bosses in 2. The last level in 2 is just a race between Jim and PsyCrow while in 1, you get to fight the Evil Queen Pulsating, Bloated, Festering, Sweaty, Puss-Filled, Malformed Slug For A Butt.

Attached: the_evil_queen_pulsating__bloated__festering_____by_efalt-d9aves6.jpg (929x859, 109.42K)

Proper EWJ1 has ten levels, not counting "repeats", the secret one in Level 5, the second part of Down the Tubes (titled Tube Race), and the optional Psycrow fight. EWJ2 also has ten levels, not counting repeats and the secret level in Level Ate. 1 has two or three gimmick levels, depending on if you count For Pete's Sake as a gimmick level. EWJ2 has four outright gimmick levels, and several more, that have so much focus on something that's not normal gameplay, that they could easily count as gimmick levels. And Andy Asteroids is just leagues above Puppy Love.

Attached: disgust intensifies.png (1118x1004, 906.35K)

I agree, EWJ2 > EWJ

It was good in its own right but lacked the magic of the first game.

Attached: vlr screenshot.jpg (960x544, 212.46K)

Sonic 2 goes downhill. Then uphill. Then through a couple loops. Before long you get to the first boss.

Attached: 01.jpg (480x360, 42.37K)

Attached: f7d7821b9d53esss3b6ded79fefeb3c7b291b7bca3935101ccb699c769085e322fe.jpg (1242x1370, 128.98K)

The last stand is kino

Attached: 7C0D7522-F5C4-4304-9DE6-9F6C0AD46BC1.jpeg (1200x1200 67.51 KB, 251.93K)

Removing medpacks in favor of regenerating health was a huge mistake. Halo Reach brought that back, but also added armor abilities and fucked with lore so it's a mixed bag.

go back to your board

Amen to that, but it isn't the first time they made the EXACT SAME FUCKING MISTAKE GOD DAMN CAPCOM THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Attached: MegaMan_Battle_Network_4_Blue_Moon_Coverart.jpg (640x640, 92.53K)

My mind just broke from the first picture. Can't tell if asian or white.

3 was unfocused, 4 was mediocre and every level took two minutes to load, Hero's Tail was dull, and the reboot trilogy is a fucking edgy joke.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (385x390, 313.7K)

fat.

Attached: alice see.jpg (397x295, 38.19K)

Honorary Aryan.

It's very uncommon for Europeans to have epicanthic folds. She's a kpop idol with dyed hair and colored contacts.

twitter.com/wildflower_choa

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1200x1200, 1.82M)

StarForce 2 may have been shit, but 3 more than made up for it.

All I remember from the reboot is mashing one attack button and nothing else. I even have nostalgia for it, and still that's all I fucking remember.

LET'S TALK ABOUT BORDERLANDS 2
In Borderlands when you got a gun you got damage, accuracy, and fire rate, and some plus minus bullshit on a gun and maybe an element and a number. You could look at wikis and shit and the gun model and find out "oh it uses barrel 5 so this does +damage but -fire rate and effects elemental proc this much" but you didn't have to min-max shit except maybe for the superboss and the Underdome 20 rounders. A blue/purple quality gun could last you 10 levels or more with proficiency helping with damage lag.
In Borderlands 2 when you get a gun you get every fucking feature on the gun displayed to you except for wacky red text bullshit and you don't have a reason to have more than a few guns in your inventory beyond collecting stuff to sell due to the level scaling being fucking atrocious and proficiency being cut for shitty badass rank that adds marginal benefits that only show effect after 1000+ hours over characters.
In Borderlands 1 passive skills were "+X% stat," kill skills were stat boosts and sometimes things like regenerating ammo/upped damage/resistance/experience and such. Skills at the end of trees didn't fundamentally change your playstyle but usually added a noticeable boost to your damage output or utilities, like ammo packages, or 1/4 chance to do increased damage, or an elemental aura.
In Borderlands 2 skills are often greater stat increases, are often conditional (such as activating at full/no shield, the boost increasing the lower your health is), and have certain (((capstones))) that changes the way you have to play a character. The worst part is the introduction of "stacks" which certain skills activate. Upon doing X action you gain a stack of Y which gives Z benefits/drawbacks and while in theory this creates more intellectual combat and strategy because of BL2's numbers game this is really only used to "break" the game with anarchy and otherwise are basically kill skills that don't require kills.
In Borderlands 1 you can get a mission from a bounty board to go kill a boss or collect gun parts and usually get a nice reward from it. The beginning and ending text might not always be funny but it's descriptive and makes it clear that it has a purpose in the world.
In Borderlands 2 each quest is a miniature (((story))) about an npc that constantly talks in your ear during it and either references something poorly or tries some form of meta self depreciation (DID I TELL YOU I'M GOING TO BETRAY YOU YET?) and more often than not the quest reward is trash. At least there's a bit more variety than "collect/kill X" and optional objectives.
The writing in BL2 is trash but its story is much better than the first, even though it's a rehash of the "evil company controls a planet, stop them from achieving X." On the other hand the game goes a little too religious with the whole "VAULT HUNTER " hunter thing, since in the first game it meant "crazy kook treasure hunter" and the whole "vault was real" thing shouldn't stop the whole "vault was shit" thing.
If there's a single word that would describe the shift from 1 to 2, it would not be "wackier/quirkier," but "exaggerated." Guns are thicker, the gun shop has a revolver pinup, npcs are more insane and substitute yelling for acting ability, skills are % more X, damage is multiplicative as hell, and while rarely this comes together well enough to almost make you forget it's shit, the next moment you're finding a bonfire with a knight in it or the villain radioing you and directly quoting the double rainbow video. If you read interviews and shit about the making of the two games you can see Gearbox had a lot of people who came up with ideas and said "yeah let's go with that" which somehow worked out for the first game but whether because of direction or staff shift, the second game became an unfocused mess of memes and ideas that sound good on paper but end up terrible in execution. Don't even get me started about slag.

Attached: "Good".png (786x1017 468.93 KB, 301.69K)

That doesn't exist. Hitler would have gone to war against them if he beat the allies.

Medievil was absolutely fucked after this piece of shit.
I mean Medievil 2 was fine, wasn't too bad, but missed what made Medievil good. The humor is more childish and heavy handed, the platforming is mostly the same but they added fucking fall damage to make it more frustrating, the level design is ATROCIOUS aside from the pretty visuals, the hitboxes are abysmal this time around and you have a hard time hitting enemies, the difficulty is inexplicably cracked up by making enemies deal enormous damage. Some of the good lore like the Heroes from the Hall of Heroes is dropped for no fucking reason even though they were the funniest aspect of the game.
Just bad decisions all around.
I'm not even going to talk about Resurrection. That one explains itself.

Attached: com.keyhan.medievil2_512x512.png (512x512, 415.58K)

Vampire gimmick level and carnival were fucking baller, though.

Source: Your ass

BioWare mangles all their female characters' faces on purpose to make them less attractive, because feminism etc. The actress they used for Sarah Ryder in Andromeda is actually pretty good looking, while Sara's actress in Dragon Age Inquisition isn't nearly as unattractive as she turned out in the actual game.

da fuck you talking about ye uncultured nigger
EWJ2 kicks so much ass that it's foot perpetually smells like shit
and besides, i don't remeber any other sequel after this one so it's har to say that things went downhill when they simply didn't go anywhere

I wonder by (((who)))?

here's your (you)

There was a 3rd EWJ game…….but we don't like to talk about it.

Attached: earthwormjim3d.jpg (1024x768, 106.08K)

Pretty much, he called them Honorary Aryans when it suited him, and in private, they were "Lacquered Half-Monkies" who needed the whip

i know the feeling m80

Attached: after.jpg (640x480 11.11 KB, 88.53K)

Holla Forums doesn't talk about this game much, no
I think it would've been better if the boss fight gameplay was related to the other gameplay

Attached: fatty roswell.PNG (953x676, 1.15M)

Would you believe it's not even the worst one?

Would he really?

Attached: main-qimg-4b5c505edb383086ec98c0e0700cbcee-c.jpg (485x356, 26.25K)

Seems likely.

Ask me how I know you never played it.

Attached: 680.jpg (704x484, 95.06K)

As much as I love SH2, it ruined the future of the series.

It's popularity is the reason why Tomm Hulett and SH theoryfags kept pushing the idea that Silent Hill is a fucking therapist town and that the series should always be about people facing their inner demons, even though SH started out being about a demon-worshipping cult and the events of SH2 would not have even happened if not for the actions of the cult.

Attached: 9857213798513244132.png (640x360 707.89 KB, 3.3M)

Dark Souls
Prove me wrong.

You don't know the half of it.

Attached: 3rw4r4.png (600x634, 527.72K)

I have nothing to prove if you don't make any argument.

Isn't Earthworm Jim an actual active ip even today that some assholes have been sitting on for 20 years now doing absolutely nothing?

Attached: 0d2d930cef5949a5e0659737c72ba2e30de0ee3b5386af1fac7a09f155e61e4c.jpg (1386x1386, 188.2K)

Dead rising 1 was dog shit though. If anything 2 was a vast improvement. 4 was the one that sent the series down the shitter.

Attached: 72e678c69024849943cc60fe331b7bc137dcbd9466369f324f2e52394245d77d.jpg (511x420, 26.74K)

You are objectively wrong.
1 was an all around solid game whereas 2 started introducing gimmicks for the of it, 3 was a complete 180 in terms of everything and 4 completely killed the franchise with no chance of redemption.

???

This, OP is either retarded or an Egoraptor fantard.

I know it's bait, but…
1 was a pretty decent game, was a bit serious but had it's fun moments. 2 was… Meh… But when they did the Off the Record version it took all that made 2 good and then improved on it making for a solid experience. 3 was where it started to go downhill mainly because they didn't know what they were doing and 4 killed the franchise.

Are you one of those faggots that think the best part of the game is the zombie killing. The best aspect of Dead Rising, that was continually watered down due to faggots like you, was the fact that the game was one giant time puzzle.

It's a metaphor, ya pedant.
allthetropes.org/wiki/Sequelitis

That term existed long before Egoraptor used it in 2011.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1146x405, 44.76K)

Heres a better idea: Name a series that has more than one game in it that did not go downhill after the second.

>>>Holla Forums

Ace Combat, the later games except a few shit titles here and there are considered better then the first 2.

Is this question equivalent to "Name a series with a game better than the first two"?

Mario.

If it doesn't go downhill, isn't that just a continual upward movement? Or are you talking about series where the downfall was a game later than 2? Or are you talking about series that recovered from a bad number 2?

That's a good way to never improve yourself.

Because if that's the case, a lot of series from the 80's and early 90's are like that, technological advancements made it pretty hard to fuck up a sequel.
Most Nintendo series, Sega series, Bomberman, Metal Slug, Fighting games, Point and click series like Monkey Island, etc.

FEAR 2.

Except that's a bit more of a fault of the western devs. SH3 was again more about the cult and 4 was about more about Walther (AFAIK, I haven't played it in ages).
It only became the whole therapy town after western devs got a hold of it and missed the point about everything.

Attached: rv92jszcsrip1uupv0qn.jpg (800x450, 78.85K)

I really liked using her, I had fun. I got injured alot but going phase allowed me to run away and heal. That and setting enemies on fire never got old, loved my Maliwans.

Attached: 9c634bc6779c12df233033d54634c446--borderlands-cosplay-video-game.jpg (500x600, 63.39K)

Splatoon 2

Sonic.

As a white trash amerifat, yes.

Attached: 143.png (128x128, 7.26K)