Matchmaking fixing

Here is great money making idea guys.
Let say there is "free" to play game. It only has has paid cosmetics. Game is session based and has elo type matchmaking in every game mode. Game preferably is team vs team based for ease of obfuscation. We identify customers who are whales, who compulsively spent most amount of money. Now idea itself.

WE FIX MATCHMAKING IN SUCH WAY THAT WHALES ARE ONLY MATCHED AGAINST PLAYERS WITH ELO LOWER THEN THEM.

Whales consistently win matches, whales spend more time ingame, whales feel good. Whales spend even more money on game. But best thing? Gamers don't know that they tricked. In standard P2W game whales know that they win via bought ingame stats, this spoil their enjoyment and desire to continue. Non paying players know that they are punching bags and it is difficult to hold them. With such system? Whales genuinely believe that they are that badass, non paying players think that game is "fair" as microtransactions don't affect gameplay. Everyone voluntarily will continue to spin our money making wheel.

Attached: lolita-ride.jpg (1024x684, 349.81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/vQjb3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whales don't play video games to compete. They play to buy virtual wardrobes and dress up their virtual boyfriends.

This is why p2w boosts sell so bad? Wait. But the problem with classic p2w boosts that they poison ecosystem too much.

valve hired some psychologists to help tweak their dota2 matchmaking, optimizing their treadmill and glorious forced 51% winrate.

I don't know if you're making your idea so similar on purpose, but Activision already patented a similar idea.

Link?

Attached: 6543234567876543.png (760x772, 122.95K)

They are talking more about promoting microtransations to non paying players (stupid they are no customers they are product). But on the other hand they throw net so wide that it covers my suggestion. Fuck. How can such patents even allowed? They basically patented matchmaking, Activision can claim patent violation from every company running any form of matchmaking in games.

No, just matchmaking based on microtransactions.

Now of course unless you have access to all the code, there's no way to know for sure that other devs aren't actually doing this on some level or another.

Attached: fuck.jpg (766x960, 99.64K)

No, they're specifically talking about matchmaking where they expose a player to an MTX weapon and after they buy it skewing their next match so it feels like their purchase was valid.

The higher ups of all these big companies are just that. They aren't gamers, they couldn't give any less of a shit about their actions unless it keeps the shareholders happy. Welcome to capitalism.

>(((free)))

No no no. They suggest to use everything, exposure to microtransation items is only one possible scoring variable

Wait what? I don't see any of what you quoted on the patent document.

He's taking that from here:
archive.is/vQjb3
The patent attorney that had to write this one probably got paid well, it's pretty long and pretty broad.

And on the flip side make the non payers inclined to purchase that weapon. Its both brilliant and scummy at the same time.

Or lose their shit and leave game. Remember you need punching bags to make better gear works.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Attached: Warframe0155.jpg (1920x1080, 837.59K)

wow. I never thought I'd see a trash-tier valkyr fashion. congrats, I guess.

blizzard is already suspected of doing this with overwatch and hearthstone
they'll match you with someone much better to end win and lose streaks before they get too long
they try to moderate how much winning you do so you don't quit playing

I can see one problem with this: a paying player consistently winning will still reach a point where they cannot climb even with the aid of this matchmaking scheme.
The scheme activision patented does a much better job of extracting whale money, by more directly linking the act of purchase with in-game performance, as in the flowchart in

DotA 2 matchmaking is so fucking blatant it isn't even funny. For a time I was either roflstomping enemies, then the following two games I got roflstomped, and there was no inbetween.

dropped

Climb what? How standard elo works. it assigns for player opponent with equal rank so player's winrate approaches 50% over time. With rigged system it consistenly assigns player opponents with lower rank and aimed at predefined winrate say 65%. (for obfuscation that target winrate number can be randomly adjusted over players and play time). It wouldn't work only if there is no players in pool who are worse than whale. Well whale can be that bad then you are fucked. But statistically speaking they would have average performance and with large players pool you always can find players that are worse than whale.

Problem here would be with official rank. There would be whales with 65% winrate and bronze rank and normal players with 50% winrate and gold rank. You need to obfuscate statistics. Real elo player number that is used for calculations and matchmaking should be never revealed. 3rd parties shoudl be prevented from acess to full game stats. Stats are only via game client with flood protection so 3rd party cant extract full databse.

Or just get rid of the official ranking completely in most played modes.

It is already discussed. It just reflects their dumb cash grab now mentality. They aim to sell premium gun to everyone. It may look good at revnues chart for one day but in teh long range it is disastrous. Premium guns has value when they are premium. . It is inherent problem of p2w scheme. Your either make premium gear price low and it becomes just mandatory subscription fee, but it disappoints both whales who don't feel unique, they want game where they can unfair advantage, and non payed players who were forced to pay against their will. Or you make premuim gear really expensive so only whales can afford it, but again it somewhat disappoints whales with feeling of blatant OPness of gear and greatly disappoints non paying players who start feeling that they are just punching bags for premium gun users. Suggested system advantage is that players can't pin point where they are tricked. In the case of premium gun they just need to look at the stats.

I wish I could raze the gaming industry and these business models to the fucking ground.

Before they only cared if they got my money, they didn't really have any reason to care how long I spent in their game, other than genuinely wanting me to spend time with it and enjoy it. Now it's about maximizing that time in game and gearing the entire experience around that.

Seriously, how does this come to an end? There's always more useful idiots being born, so even if the current gaggle of retards who don't have a problem with this start to wise up there's always the next group of queers in line ready to get their stupid asses fucked.

The internet was a mistake.

In a "competative" game where whaling gives you power it would probably be smarter to simply match whales with bigger whales and non-whales with mostly non-whales. Here's why:

Obviously a games good reputation doesn't generate as much money as real money-making shemes, but eventually you still hit critical mass with your bad reputation and it ends up really hurting you (see: EA). A person who has spent money on a game before is much more likely to do so again, the greatest barrier is the first purchase. Trying to break this barrier takes far more energy than turning a customer into a real whale.
Thus the tactic should be to make a one-time customer feel like if he spends just a liiiittle bit more he can really take on his enemies. Thogh it's important to, at first, reward this initial purchase a lot. So here's the plan: If someone buys a powerup for the first time, match him with players weaker than him to make him feel stronger for, I dunno, three days or so (or a set amount of ingame-hours). Then match him with the big whales, make him feel like he has to spend more and make him crave this "golden age" again.
If he spends more to become a big one he then - at first - gets matched with the now weaker first-time customers who went past their "golden age" and once again after a certain amount of time he gets matched with bigger whales.

This "breeds" the whales with each other in order to make them spend even more money while not wasting your energy on other, worthless types of sea-mammals or even tiny fishes. That way the fish, which are still at the root of the whales food-pyramid, don't leave the sea because of overfishing or whales bullying them too much and everyone is happy while still basically being exploited.

Just make sure they never learn about this system.

Attached: shekel shuffle.webm (480x360, 3.77M)

Unless you fine tune this thing very carefully you'll push new players off the game and your matchmaking Ponzi will collapse.

But you just described Dota 2 in a nutshell.
It's Snowball the game. Sure, there's comebacks. Once in every 20 games.
On the other 19, one team will get a small advantage at first and exploit it to stay ahead, increasing their advantage further.
You feel like you're getting steamrolled/steamrolling because this advantage is magnified and amplified by the 20 minutes mark (or 30 if you're playing gold and above) but the game lasts 50-60 minutes.
So you got a good half hour where your team is either so ahead you can crush oponents without thinking on it or the reverse happens and you're a punchhing bag for 30 minutes.

Clutch games are extremely rare, only happen at the highest escelhons of competition wereh everyone is too scared to dive and make a mistake and they don't represent how the game is normally played.

If you're talking about getting matched with BR's and somalians, suprise: they're nearly 49% of the playerbase. Of course you end up losing 49% of the games.

Problem is whale can't make connection between money spend on cosmetics and ingame performance. This is illogical. Even more this illogical thing must be most guarded secret to work.

It depends on numbers you set as whales so you need most of the time players defined as non whales play against teach other with non altered matchmaking. One most important thing. When players are beaten by whales this is a genuine thing. Whale indeed was smartest motherfucker in the room. No cheating, guns with double damage or anything that obvious. He was genuinely better than you.

Attached: snmsk.png (300x417, 311.33K)

What group is probably the best one to get paired with? I think Europeans

I wish. Online gaming would finally drop these shitty matchmaking queues and return to server browsers.

Attached: death.jpg (238x183, 12.01K)

Lol exports. Something that retarded could never exist.

Attached: th(3).jpg (474x547, 19.5K)

or how about you reeeee back to reddit and git gud.

Attached: ef91e78bd1178960edf27b77cd5b1b2f4564a48b3302e2c58b00d9f5e3fc98dc.jpg (590x400, 31.41K)

If the nonplaying players are losing so much and the game is obviously unbalanced, you will lose them because it's not gonna be very fun to lose all the time

South Africans. Speak English, few tryhards, few chronic ragers, listen to advice 8 times out of ten, racist as fuck and can take a joke so you don't have to worry about reports for being mean.

White south africans? Because no reasonable person would willingly subject themselves to a bunch of dindus

Russians.
FUn fact, it's not russians on EU West, it's ukr*ops.

bad thread

Attached: led.jpg (596x567, 74.25K)

because pendulum. there's only so far you can push something before you get pushback

but then how will you get a fair fight with our leveling system and tiered gear system with the blind hope we get enough players to support it :^)

Do not encourage matchmaking.
Never encourage matchmaking.

Level capped servers for noobs?

That means that non paying players always get matched with people who are better than them, thus lose often and eventually drop the game.
Terrible idea.

just burn it all down

they're not counting on having a large playerbase, just one that makes money. EA pulls in over 1bil yearly in just microtransactions. they're also ubisoft's largest source of funding

Ok. I though this was a thread about how to make games better, not how to jew out shit and put more garbage out to the market.

Naturally.

Indeed we exploit non paying players. But this type of exploitation would be perceived as much less frustrating. We redirect the blame. In standard P2W game everything is very clear, you are killed with premium gun, your lost game, very frustrating and can't be interpreted other way than unfair advantage. With suggested system losing would be looking for non-paying players as "natural". Whale had no ingame advantage he won due to his better skill in fair match. Try harder.

Regular matchmaking, as is, in games without such jewish schemes already annoys the hell out of new players when they're just learning the shit and don't get many chances to win. So much so that games often have dedicated servers/groups for new players to play against each other.
What you're suggesting would be even more frustrating and shitty for new players. At least with bought items they can think "well he just won coz he was a payfag", without that excuse and without a chance to practice with a somewhat acceptable difficulty curve they'll just drop the game out of frustration.

Pretty sure they already do this. The correct way to fix it is to all go back to console gaming because that has much less microtransaction cancer.

Aren't they literally doing this? Is this thread satire?

I want to fuck an orca

Pls. Nothing will stop consoles from doing matchmaking exploitation techniques. Only way i see here is returning back to the servers/pseudo-servers/rooms types of matchmaking when players manually join servers and this process is fully transparent and visible for players (players can see as other players join/live rooms and their IDs real time). This is what goodwill game developers should make and advertise. For such developers matchmaking via game side algorithms should be dead as it can't be controlled and trusted to not have malice by gamers. (No, "trust us, we don't fix matchmaking pinky promise :^) " is not a transparency).

This is the future you chose when you all abandoned community-run dedicated servers for console matchmaking.

No the correct solution is to go back to how we did stuff in the 90s and early 2000s and use dedicated servers. Also have consoles without online multiplayer: console gamers have shown they can't be trusted with it and frankly console games have gone to shit since they went for a multiplayer focus.

Leave grandpa

Most people would prefer matchmaking when possible so they don't get stuck with shitters/stomped by no-lifers. The idea that there's a chance that maybe they have a 1% lower winrate than they should because matchmaking's biased won't be enough to push them towards dedicated servers.