Roleplaying in Video Games

How do you feel about Roleplaying in Video Games?

It seems like GTA V Roleplay Servers are getting more and more popular and Arma Life is also a thing.

After seeing some Youtube videos I decided to try GTA V RP and for the most part it's immensely fun. But I find it odd that Fantasy/Medieval/Sci-Fi RP seems to not be a thing.

Are there any games that are designed around/have a healthy RP community to scratch that itch?

Playing a Civilian in GTA V is fun, but it doesn't scratch that fantasy craving.

You'd assume from a blind eye that MMORPG's would be ripe with this, but as we all know they aren't.

Attached: wallpapers-hd-fantasy-0.jpg (1920x1200, 542.47K)

I remember WoW RP servers would hand out multiday bans for speaking out of character to the point of nuisance.

It was FUCKING awesome

I started roleplaying in Warcraft 3.
Shit was great.
Getting to actually kill stuff you spawned in between roleplaying. Was fun.

Neverwinter was the best gaming RP experience I ever had, secondary only to Champions Online. The former was because of the ability to create custom campaigns with player GMs, the latter was due to being designed with RP in mind from the ground up.

I don't like those games because they're bound by rules and admins who police everything. The only ones I like are games like SS13 and Lifeweb because you have several options to do everything. Lifeweb gives you the ability to rape people, fix their organs, or smash their toes so they can't move.

Agreed, one server I played on (GTA RP) were a small group of 5 or so players that had this Niche "RP" thing going on, and they weren't open to other people getting involved, to the point where they'd message me outside of the game and say "Don't respond to this, ignore it, Private RP" and if you crossed this group of players the Admins would come down hard on you. (Probably because this group had the only female on the server in it )

Maybe Life is Feudal is what you're looking for, although i'm unsure if people roleplay on it.

If it's not a PnP I don't roleplay.

ROLEPLAYING IS FOR PANSY BOYS GO BACK TO /CUTEBOYS/ YOU FAGGOTS

As much as I love PnP it's too difficulty to organize with my RL friends and Roll20 groups are so flakey.

It's a shame those games are pretty much dead now.

reading this thread makes me want to play DnD again

Then why is it that /tg/ is a bunch of fat, ugly neckbeards?

It's like the third thread about it.
Play WOTS.

Attached: 2221413-box_wots3.png (801x960, 1.31M)

Great game, but I was talking Multiplayer.

Been binging on WotS3 lately. Fun game, but the cycle of events feels like it happens all too quickly.

You could try Tera or Archeage, I remember them having roleplay servers

Checked and kek'd

I actually started on a GTAV RP server with my roommate a few days ago. It's fucking rad. We made some money, I killed a gang member in self-defense (he rammed my car, followed me into a store, and pulled a gun on me when I said to not fuck with my car, so I faked him out with a quick draw and shot him) but the police didn't show up. Today my roommate bought a black van and we drove into the hood and killed niggers while blasting Moonman. Pulled into a carwash to get the blood off the van, and got pulled over by a cop on our way out because I drove in the left lane to get to the carwash. He conveniently ignored the bullet holes all over the side of the van and we have a pleasant convo both IC and OOC, turns out that he works security IRL, as does my roommate.

Later on, saw a nog on a fence and no police around, so we beat him to death baseball bats. A jewish NPC saw it and ran up to the van shouting "I KNOW KRAV MAGA" so roommate chased him and beat him down, and I put a bullet in him. Cops heard and descended on me. He snuck away into a bush, got to a safe spot, changed clothes, and returned to the crime scene saying "dude, I got your text, you got attacked?" while I was explaining to the police that I was wearing a Stahlhelm and gas mask because I was big into milsurp and it cost me $3k at an auction, and that the jew had run up shouting about Craven MAGA, and while I liked making America great again, I knew that that was some sort of martial art so I totally feared for my life so it was completely in self-defense Officer. They hit me with a $5k fine, and didn't even notice the nigger's body. We got away with a successful hate crime.

The cop that pulled us over the first time said that we were good RPers, that they were considering whitelisted lawyer jobs, and that we should apply. I'll probably play a sleezy lawyer a la Saul Goodman, while my roommate will play it straight as Ezekiel Goldstein.

Haven't had this much fun in a video game in a while.

I've had quite a few GTA RP characters.

Private Investigator, Black Rapper, Enforcer in Triad, Old Jewish Woman looking for her cat, Clueless college freshman (female) who somehow ends up in all sorts of weird situations, Musician Cab Driver who forces people to buy tickets for his show or he doesn't drop them off…

What are these mythical GTAV RP servers that aren't either (a) completely closed off/invite only or (b) overrun with children and nofun shitters?

Because that's all I've encountered.

Attached: 1235442066010.jpg (245x298, 19.18K)

That's the exact same demographic of /cuteboys/.

the big one is Badlands RP, they have 2 servers that often have at least 15 players.

I've never played rp anything. The fuck you even do in it?

Attached: a65e61c8be7aa676bc6175f6f7bb8e50070ae7c1658fb8c77b41a915fb7726a.png (467x443, 34.37K)

Think of it like acting in a play.

I suppose I'll clarify I'm genuinely curious. All that comes to mind is assuming a character and I dunno, being a merchant running a shop or something, selling shit to the players lucky enough to have fighting roles.

The extent I take it to, is when I have a lot of customization options, I stick to either a theme, or to the best looking thing rather than the most effective.

Attached: 06aefe946555b2d240a4a3d97b60e00ea46b87f3440dfecb8a5ab04449e1d7ee.png (633x489, 278.49K)

Have you played GTA: SA roleplay OP?

Video related is how serious one particular server takes it

Another video as well from the same faction

Nah, I missed that. GTA V RP is where I started out.

Oh, but I did get in trouble with a particular server for "Roleplaying too much" apparently I was "too serious".

How popular are RP servers on GTA V? The one I'm talking about reaches 400+ players at peak, and I think its still really popular just because of how easy it is to run GTA:SA. This server as well requires that you post a character application and an understanding of the rules before you're allowed to join. These applications are processed by other people btw.

GTA V servers are hosted on an external Mod called "Five M" which only supports 32 players per server, because of GTA Onlines limitations. That being said some of the bigger servers have hundreds of players.

Fuck you, and your gay cuckchan brainlet memes. Fucking retard.

Does anyone know of a Good video game that supports RP in a Fantasy setting?

Have you seen any photos of /tg/?

So is this thread about roleplaying communities instead of just immersing yourself in a singleplayer game similiar to how everyone now thinks ASMR means watching youtube whores, instead of just feeling relaxed about very beneign and non-weird things like being a kid and having your parents read you a goodnight story or your gf whispering something gently in your ear or someone giving you a massage?

Who is responsible for both of these things? Why does everything have to get faggotified?

Attached: chaotic evil.jpg (714x802, 103.43K)

Attached: download.jpeg (270x186, 5.68K)

Oh, so your parents didn't love you? My condolences.
Oh, you are actually a faggot. I guess that's why they don't love you.

OP here, My application into NoPixel (one of the large Private GTA RP servers got approved )

I hope you meet your future bf there, so you can stop shitting up Holla Forums.
I am happy for you two.

Did you get approved too?

i've never roleplayed in a video game before but this interests me, where should i start?

I do it all the time in RPGs, especially where it's one where I can make my own character and really get immersed in it. My first go I'll usually just make something I think will be good to win with and play it like just any normal game, but on subsequent playthroughs I'll spice it up by throwing together some basic idea of who my character is and trying to play that.

I used to be big into roleplaying on Neverwinter Nights when I was 14 or so. I didn't know it at the time but really I just wanted a group to play D&D with.
NWN is really great for RP because it offers great support for the DMs. They can take control of any actor, create new actors, items, or graphical effects on the fly, impose custom magical effects, etc. The game also has a decent chat system for RP built-in. A good DM can make for a great experience nearly as good as playing actual D&D with a good DM.
The problem is that usually video games will attract the extreme That Guys that were rejected from their D&D groups for being gigantic faggots. They can't play D&D because their natural state is to be an intolerable shithead hence no one will play with them, so they use video game RP communities as an outlet.
Let me tell you, you really should not underestimate these cocksuckers. RP communities are small and revolve around a single server – maybe a couple if they're the biggest community – and these losers will project all of their angst from social rejection onto the fucking game which always results in them trying to take over the server and generally be an asshole to everyone for their own amusement.

I'll tell a story in the next post because it's too long.

Attached: 4c55fb118ae065349436edc0f52308eba75e280592214836edf0d7aafa665079.jpg (400x680, 40.08K)

Let me tell you a story to demonstrate. A couple of years ago I thought it might be fun to try RPing on an NWN server again. I have played tabletop RPGs with a regular group for about 8 or 9 years, so I thought I'd have a much easier time playing a fun character and interacting with people and maintaining a character is obviously much easier in a CRPG than on a character sheet. So I joined probably the longest running NWN RP server of all time, Arelith. Primarily because it's grounded in Forgotten Realms, something familiar to me; I never really liked joining the "original" servers where the module author wrote his own setting, because it was usually shit. It was good for a couple of weeks. I began to make friends in character and I liked the layout of the module quite a lot. It connected together rather seamlessly and felt like a world to explore rather than a dungeon gallery. The problems arose when I tried to join an organization in character. I thought it would make it easier for my character to make money; most of the orgs/factions are trade groups or mercenaries. The trade groups craft and sell things on the player market and mercs run dungeons and occasionally do shit for players if the faction leaders want to create a story arc of their own which was encouraged by the DMs. So I joined a startup mercenary group which suited my character just fine, and I had confidence because I knew the merc leader personally in character. Things went as I would expect for about a week. I did spend a lot of time in character trying to recruit people, which wasn't un-fun, but it was time I could have spent levelling or seeing the module.
At the end of the week, shit started to go south. The leader of my company was getting all his funds from an (((evil red dragon banker))). I had no idea he was evil or a mage associated with red dragons at the time; I assumed the leader knew the banker OOCly and they were just trying to do something cool together. So shit started to go south here when some tiefling bitch joined the company. This particular bitch was also the knight commander of the guard for the biggest city in the module, although I didn't know it yet, but the power hunger is fucking real. For some reason my commander seemed to trust her, probably because the (((banker))) told him to, and she was appointed a squad leader, same rank as me, the guy who had faith in the commander when it was literally just the two of us.
Another week goes and the commander schedules a dinner party with all the new recruits, about half of which were there because of my effort. It was apparent that this might be a bad idea at this point because the room was filled with evil red dragon mages. However my character was a jaded mercenary who just wanted to make cash, so this wasn't the awful part. The awful part came when the tiefling bitch from before staged a hostile takeover of the whole company and my commander quit the game, completely; I don't know if he was even a real player at this point or some other faggot associated with the (((banker))), but I am inclined to say he was a real player due to how the account system works in NWN and you can see that everyone has separate usernames when they log on. It's not impossible though. Anyway, the friends I had made before agreed she's just a scheming bitch and I ended up quitting shortly after because I really didn't want to deal with shitheads that barge into your group and ruin all of your everything because "that's just my story, it's what 'my guy' would do." That is an absolutely cancerous mode of thought that has no place in a roleplaying group no matter how large it is. I found out, not at all to my surprise, that this wasn't the first company that player took over and ruined. Apparently the tiefling and the (((banker))) were a duo.

Moral of the story, never trust a Jew or anyone with horns especially if they offer you money

Years ago, I was very much into roleplay. Nowadays not so much, because for me it's just way too much of effort for what I get from it. But what I have observed from the community (myself included) is that people can become very opinionated regarding what good role play is, and either come to enjoy it less and less as they become fixated in their own ideas of what 'good roleplay', or, if they manage to find someone like them, will form a highly insular group due to their unwillingness to forgive newfag mistakes.

Also, I think it's silly to try to RP unless you can host servers of your own. You're constantly being bombarded by OOC content. What are you gonna do? Isolate yourself like these guys ? And RP in the open looks silly to nearly everyone else but the people engaged in it.

That seems like a typical story for most RP servers. These days the Admins have stricter rules, that prevent players from doing such things, on some servers at least.

But theres always the kiddies that Mary-Sue their Characters, or don't ever flesh them out, and play who/whatever they need to play to stay out of trouble.

We had one guy who was literally saying "My guys Pshyco, and he's ex Military, And he's an expert marksman, and he's a pro motocycle stunt man" etc etc….

Ruins the fun for everyone else.

Uh, yeah? RP is only fun when everyone involved contributes, doesn't try to shit on others' characters with his own shitty character arc, and is on "the same page." In fact there's a questionnaire called the "same page tool" that is frequently used in tabletop groups forming for the first time because different people have different expectations and when they don't match up, someone usually ends up having a shitty time.

Roleplaying is stupid. A good game doesn't need rp to spice things up and why would you play a bad game?

You encounter an orc. Your group spends 15 minutes arguing whether it's justified to kill the orc. Then you kill the orc by rolling the dice. So much fun!

It's just creative writing you dumbass. Are you really going to try and argue that there doesn't exist any people that find creative writing fun?

I got banned for RP groping.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (396x45 11.09 KB, 16.71K)

EvE just feels like a second fucking job. You literally deal with corporate backstabbing and other forms of underhanded shit because ISK dirextly converts to real money and players form corps for the sole purpose of making money. The fun was squeezed out of their game when they designed the stakes to be too high and the grind to be too tedious.

No it fucking does. You can make 150M-200M an hour doing carrier ratting or 150M an hour doing rorqual mining with a 150M increase for each account you add to dualbox rorquals.
The game is anywhere from high stakes. Ships you lose are both given out freely by your alliance and SRP'd in case you lose them.
The average line member won't be effected by corporate backstabbing unless it's major, in the case of CO2.
You literally only log in for pings and maybe once in awhile you can grind which is AFKable and get a bit of pocket change. If you fly Logi your alliance will probably reimburse it for around 150% meaning you get paid to lose it. Therefore you have no need to grind money.

Dumb fucking faggot read an article once and decided to form an opinion. Fuck off and die please.

No it fucking doesn't*

I just checked. Our Doctrine scythes cost about 300M. You can make 60M with the smallest ratting ship, 100M with a 500M Rattlesnake. That's three hours of grinding to get your first logistics ship and that logistics ship will be reimbursed everytime it's killed meaning if you fly logi you literally never have to grind.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (504x90, 32.95K)

Nah, I've played the game a couple times, sorry I insulted your second source of income.

wew lad

Please explain to me this secret method of turning isk into cash that I seem to have missed out on. I'd love to know because I've got a few billion in isk laying around.

lol look at this faggot.

Attached: smug iori.jpg (550x550, 85.24K)

Top ISK auction on playerauctions is $1 for 181.818M ISK, so you could make, like, $20. Clearly that $20, or maybe even $50, is the sole reason that Eve is filled with backstabbing and ganking.