Nipponese Learning Thread: アメリカンおっぱい Edition

So, you wanna learn the Nipponese, huh? Well, you've come to the right thread. You know the drill; All of the relevant resources are available below. It's not an official list or anything, just an OP I threw together from items taken from previous threads. If you have any suggestions on how this list can be improved, then please don't hesitate to say something.

Learn the Kana. Start with Hiragana and then move on to Katakana. Yes, you need both, and yes stroke order is important. Use Realkana or Kana Invaders for spaced repetition. Alternatively, you can use the Anki deck, but I'd recommend the first two. Tae Kim has a Kana diagram on his website, and you can use KanjiVG for pretty much any character.

You have to learn vocabulary and grammar in order to speak and understand the language. Some will tell you to grind the Core2k/6k deck until you're blue in the face, others will tell you that grammar is more important. Truth is, you need both, but it doesn't really matter which one you decide to do first. You're teaching yourself here, so you move at your own pace and do what you're most receptive to. If you want grammar first, then Tae Kim has a great introductory grammar guide, there are numerous grammar related videos in user's all-in-one-Anki-package, IMABI has an active forums and an abundance of information on grammar, and there's always YouTube if you're lazy. On the other hand, if you want to learn vocab first, then grab the Core2k/6k and grind until you're blue in the face. For mnemonics, see Kanji Damage.

That's what these threads are for aside from the obligatory shitposting. You shouldn't assume that anyone here knows more than you, but there are anons here who are willing to help. Try to find shit out on your own, for fuck's sake, but if you're stumped, then maybe someone will have something to say that can point you in the right direction.

Threadly reminder:
YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE

DJT guide: djtguide.neocities.org/
pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c

Anki: apps.ankiweb.net/
Core 2k/6k: mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
Core2k/6k content: core6000.neocities.org/
user's Japanese Learner Anki package: mega.nz/#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk

Attached: img_059.jpg (1744x2468 1.51 MB, 1.42M)

Other urls found in this thread:

guidetojapanese.org/blog/2005/02/05/the-difference-between-and/
imabi.net/tableofcontents.htm
imabi.net/theparticlegai.htm
imabi.net/theparticlewai.htm
kanjiportraits.wordpress.com/kanji-etymology-previous-posts/
www2.japanriver.or.jp/search_kasen/search_help/refer_kanji.htm
outlier-linguistics.com/outlierblog/2018/1/18/understanding-corruption-in-chinese-characters-part-1-by-looking-at-the-etymologies-for-and-
sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/topicfocus.html
vocaloidlyrics.wikia.com/wiki/ワールドイズマイン_(World_is_Mine)
steven-kraft.com/projects/japanese/
imabi.net/theparticlegaii.htm
imabi.net/theparticlewoi.htm
vndb.org/r46052
sukebei.pantsu.cat/view/2061626
ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/"それの"
youtu.be/5wGF8F6QmPM?list=PLxT7xTW3SWkPIIsoqb9KOIa7YRuYzQL3z&t=201
kanji.koohii.com/
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Sega_Saturn_emulators
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

日本語が楽しいですね

確かに

I really hope there's some hentai artist who thinks American girls are really like that

リサさんは一番大好き

そうですね!

Attached: !!.JPG (294x192, 25.57K)

うん!

Attached: kekkou 1.PNG (328x204, 62.33K)

Does that third one change them from what I know, or is it the start of another word(assuming so because of the hiragana after it)

Attached: Nerves.jpg (261x119, 16.18K)

日本 = Japan
日本語 = Japanese language
語 = language, e.g. this will pretty much go with any word for language (言語 means language, 英語 means English, etc)

By itself 語 means "to talk about", but when slapped on the end of a country name it's like the "ese" in "Japanese": the country's language. It's pronounced ご when used that way.

Thanks. But now well I can read the sentence, I don't quite understand what user is trying to convey. From what I understand "が" is akin to "but", and "楽しい" is fun. Is user saying its fun, if so why the が?

Attached: わかりません.jpg (275x259, 38.87K)

もしもしですです!(´⊙ω⊙`)

が doesn't mean "but", sometimes it can if it's placed between 2 pieces of conflicting information but that's not the most common usage for it. Trying to explain the exact meaning of は and が and the difference between them is hard to do, but the sentence basically means "Japanese is fun", and because he used が, it places a focus on the 楽しい rather than the 日本語 if he were to use は.

guidetojapanese.org/blog/2005/02/05/the-difference-between-and/
is a pretty surface-level take on it, but if you google "は vs が" you'll find a ton of reading on the topic

I'm pretty sure only daga is but, ga is just a kind of subject marker like wa.

が can definitely be used in the manner I described, not really as "but", but to divide two pieces of information that conflict. It's not common given how many other words there are that mean similar things (だが、しかし、でも、けど)

If he's so new to this that he can't recognize the word 日本語 then the difference is negligible at that stage

never seen it used that way, huh.

Yeah, it's pretty uncommon and I could be wrong but it seems to be a little more formal than other ways of saying "but". It's mentioned at the start of Genki though so a lot of people end up seeing が as "but" erroneously.

It's right in the OP images…

Attached: アナルピンチ.png (205x270, 36.55K)

楽しいも難しいです。  ダークソウルの言語だよね

The pain of the journey has just begun for me.

Attached: 8c1d4c2f0af62f89eb7eb5cda2679d925f89245c84d10057348b343e505b34f3.jpg (374x374, 38.63K)

I believe in you user

Attached: dekiru-chan.jpg (1601x750, 330.57K)

My point was it's easier to skip learning kanji by themselves and to jump straight into vocabulary and learn them as you go.

Going back to が as a conjunction particle. It's not only used as "but" but also can be used to set up the premise of a sentence. I suppose both those uses could be combined into "setting up the premise" and the whether or not the following part contradicts that premise depends on the sentence.
暑いですが、クーラーをつけてください。
It's hot (the premise) so please turn on the AC.
安いが、質がいいよ!
It's cheap (the premise) but it's good quality!

Good try, but when you want to use multiple adjectives like that, you need to use the て form for them.
楽しくて難しいです。

Attached: hekassen.webm (1280x720, 6.6M)

Thanks, that's a much better explanation than I'm able to give. I don't have a really deep understanding of grammar but I try to answer questions when I can.

Can we have a ukiyo-e thread? it pleases my furfaggotry

Attached: 585754c297a9eeeb1c11cf0890b63d57.jpg (651x500 407.24 KB, 115.11K)

Tae Kim's guide is pretty nice to start off with, but I suggest reading through IMABI to get more in depth grammar stuff. I also liked the lessons that showed the differences between は and が, it didn't really click for me until I read those.
imabi.net/tableofcontents.htm

Christ, I don't even know english grammar this well.

Attached: neat.png (392x573, 365.59K)

What you claimed is the exact opposite of what is correct. が is not necessarily a focus marker, but when it is, that means the essential answer you are providing is what comes behind が。日本語が楽しい would be an answer to the question 何が楽しい. The answer in fact boils down to 日本語。If the question was instead, 日本語について意見を教えて下さい, then you would have to reply 日本語は楽しい instead of 日本語が because the new information provided is 楽しい rather than 日本語。

As a matter of fact は・が is a false dichotomy born of a woefully incomplete understanding of the fundamentals of the language.

は is the topic marker, not the subject marker. It doesn't mark grammatical case and either stacks with or overrides other particles that do. What does it mean to mark a topic? It means to mark a piece of information as something previously mentioned that you wish to further discuss or comment on. Thus the absence of it implies that that particular word is new information or information being brought up for the first time in the current conversation.

Take this sentence for example, with no は.

This is a simple sentence stating a fact. There are no topics in this sentence.

ジョンがビルにメアリーを紹介した

が= subject (nominative_ に = indirect object (dative) を= direct object (accusative)

John-nom Bill-dat Marry-acc introduced.

John introduced Mary to Bill.

Now, if this sentence had been written with a topic in mind, it could change into any of these forms.

ジョンはビルにメアリーを紹介した。

John-tm Bill-dat Mary-acc introduced. *topic marker here is overriding the subject marker が, but John is still the subject.

メアリーはジョンがビルに紹介した。*topic marker is overriding を here but Mary is still the object

Mary-tm John-nom Bill-dat introduced.

ビル(に)はジョンがメアリーを紹介した。*Here, に you can keep に for clarity, but often Nips will drop it anyway. Either way, Bill would still have to be both the indirect object and the topic.

Bill-(dat)-tm John-nom Mary-acc introduced.

So what is the difference between all of these sentences?

1)ジョンがビルにメアリーを紹介した

2)ジョンはビルにメアリーを紹介した。

3)メアリーはジョンがビルに紹介した。

4)ビルにはジョンがメアリーを紹介した。

1) is all completely new information being brought up for the first time.

2) Somebody would have had to have said something about John before that.

3) Somebody would have had to have said something about Mary before that.

4) Somebody would have had to have said something about Bill before that.

So the flow of the conversation in Japanese goes that people keep mentioning stuff, and when you want to pick that piece of information out of what they said and comment about it or something tangentially related to it, you mark it with the topic marker.

Attached: upset loli.jpg (168x255, 8.5K)

I know it's not the most in depth, but he lays things out in a compact way that's very easy for beginners to grasp unfamiliar concepts. I'll take a look at through that though, seems interesting.

Wow, that's really informative. There should be a link in the OP to a screencap of this and other useful posts that provide useful insights which people might not know about.

Good stuff user.

Attached: 55f66802a2d4d54074e7e81e3133e4e5512a253255e0676470f7a0bb47672868.gif (220x198, 26.93K)

I wasn't talking about the subject marker が, I was talking about the conjunction marker が.

But if we're gonna get autistic here, there's also connotations between は and が that you didn't mention, such as が implying a complete list while は implies there are other things as well. This seems to stem from the question thing you first mentioned.
ステーキが好き!
I like steak! (and nothing else)
ステーキは好き!
I like steak! (Other things could also be liked)

In addition, は doesn't necessarily mark things that were said previously in the conversation, but common sense things too.
空は暗いです。
The sky is dark.
この世界ではポケモンという生き物がいる。
In this world (common information) creatures called Pokemon (new information) exist.

Something I find helpful in reading は sentences is to read it like "regarding x."
窓は壊れた。
Regarding the window, it (the window) has broken.

Like you said, the は covers up the が that would be there, though you could argue it removes the が instead since repeating 「窓が」 would be ungrammatical.
窓は窓が壊れた。✕

Here's some good IMABI pages on this.
imabi.net/theparticlegai.htm
imabi.net/theparticlewai.htm

I tried to start learning Japanese back in January but I lost interest by February. I like the appeal of Japan as a place but I know that there’s almost no career opportunity there besides teaching English, which makes no sense for me because I could just graduate quicker if I didn’t bother learning Japanese at uni and just got my accounting degree and CPA license I’d be earning $80,000 in less than 8 years from now. So why do you guys do it? Just for videogames and otaku culture? I love some good anime but I probably only watch like one series a month. And part of the appeal of it to me is reading the subtitles and not understanding the language. I feel it allows for greater suspension of disbelief.
Polite sage just cuz

Attached: CD69C65B-A16A-427E-BC39-D3C684AB45C8.jpeg (736x1308, 142.68K)

More or less for the reasons you say. An interest doesn't need to have job prospects to be a valid hobby, you can do it for the feeling of satisfaction and to give yourself more layers of understanding, complexity and character.

I mainly learned for video games, though I hope to get a job with it eventually because I have no real skill or interest in anything else.

In highschool I was trash at the required spanish course. At the time I made the common excuses, "Meh, just need to pass the first two years and drop. Doesn't matter." ect. Despite hating spanish with a passion(Still do) I was always envious of the kids who seemed to be picking it up, or the kids who were actually fluent in multiple languages. Japanese sounds nice enough for me to stay engaged with learning it, and learning the spoken word, has been easy enough. Kanji is a pain in the ass, but now im doing this to prove I have it in me to become fluent in another language.

This is basically a chance to pretend I'm not a failure.

And i'm totally not doing it just to fuck a japanese girl. Totally.

Attached: 1518363312041.jpg (323x416, 63.87K)

just for fun

I mean, after a failed attempt at learning german (and by attempt I mean I had german classes at high school, but I didn't give a fuck, like most of the class), I wanted to learn something more interesting. and Japanese was the only language at the university that fitted the bill but even like this, it'll probably take more than 10 years before I will be able to understand anything that's a bit more complicated than a totally simple textbook example. well, whatever, I have time. and no, I didn't even think about working in Japan, it's not for white people.

fuck you codemonkey, why did it take 10 minutes to post this?

Anyone know what these say?

Attached: 1.jpg (3410x4581 3.9 MB, 4.39M)

1st 勇者ライディーン
2nd 秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー キレンジャー

Ní men hǎo rìběn lèsè

Danke. I'd have no idea how to find or type the kanji.

Np. Also the company is ポピー

I'm learning just for fun right now, I have a good job so I don't care if I can make money from knowing Nip. My main hobbies (music and games) have so much enjoyable content in Japanese that it made sense to eventually start learning, since I've been consuming this shit for a long time already. I don't want to have to rely on translations. Learning the language itself has also become enjoyable, and not just a means to enjoy things in the language.

You can use jisho to search for kanji by radicals and stroke number. I find that to be the fastest way of finding unknown ones. You can drawn them to search too, but that doesn't always seen very effective.

I'll keep it in mind.

I'm doing it for manga/anime but once I got past a few hundred, learning kanji has become fun by itself. So much that if chinks weren't so shitty or if I wasn't bad with tones I'd consider learning Chinese too.
I'm not sure if it's even possible for me but I also want to go to grad school in Japan with a scholarship, but I'm probably not the above average excelling student they want.

So I'm going to japan sometime this summer/fall, what words and phrases should I definitely learn before then? Are there decent amounts of english speakers there anyhow in case I can't convey/understand something?

Attached: hand_holding.gif (640x360, 1.51M)

If you have to rely on english speakers there you'll probably just be getting other foreigners. With that being the case you'll just end up throwing yourself into some kind of english pseudo ghetto. At least that's my assumption. After all, how many "rough english" speaking mexicans do you spend time with? Best thing to do would be keep with the studying, git gud, and accept some native correction when you're there.

As for Words/phrases I got none, sorry.

Baka gaijin can also come in handy.

Attached: You_are_fucking_stupid.webm (1280x720, 512.22K)

You guys should check this out: kanjiportraits.wordpress.com/kanji-etymology-previous-posts/
Maybe add it to the OP too. There's a lot of interesting information about the origins of a lot of kanji and radicals. Learning radicals is recommended a lot but people don't seem to really learn the underlying meanings behind them, seeing their shapes change from oracle bone to modern kanji is pretty helpful.

This is also useful to see the changes made in kanji from kyuujitai to shinjitai: www2.japanriver.or.jp/search_kasen/search_help/refer_kanji.htm

I also found this but it's for Chinese, the meaning of kanji used is same though: outlier-linguistics.com/outlierblog/2018/1/18/understanding-corruption-in-chinese-characters-part-1-by-looking-at-the-etymologies-for-and-

Attached: history-of-the-kanji-e6af8d.jpg (416x182 18.04 KB, 26.97K)

So 母 is basically a crude drawing of tits?

Attached: 40a93e5b69c7cfed9ee1f8811e8dcf850a1b65eae90e962103243e12e753aa61.jpg (1600x1640, 416.21K)

That's actually how my teacher taught us to remember the kanji.

Time for some delicious Urushihara girls.

Attached: ULJM05423_00003.png (1920x1080 151.49 KB, 54.99K)

But that's not even true user.
お寿司とピザが好きです。
There, I like sushi and pizza. And it doesn't even imply that I don't like vidya and ero manga as well.

This is what is more commonly referred to as the "focus marker" が or 指定の「が」 in Japanese. Calling it "exhaustive-listing" seems to be semantically wrong. Also note, that this is not necessarily always the case. が does not necessarily have to be a focus marker. Whether it is meant to be that way or not can only be discerned through analysis of the context in which a given statement appears.

sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/topicfocus.html

は marks what is understood to be old information, whether it was previously stated in that particular conversation or not.

The second one looks like a Buckly B^U to me.

Not the same user, but let me see if I understand.

A wise man.

言葉 is "words"
言語 is "language"

That's the gist, but too literal. I'd translate it as "I don't get what he's saying, but my ass is in trouble!"

more or less why I'm learning too, it just has the bonus benefits of anime/vidya too though. I gotta prove to myself I'm capable of buckling down to study SOMETHING, anything, after I dropped out of college a few years ago and haven't been back. To prove to myself I am not a complete blithering idiot. The constantly declining quality of localizations, or, *ahem* CULTURALIZATIONS are pretty fuckin worrying to me too, so it's extra motivation.

I only know my あ い う え お right now, i'm just babby-tier.

Nice user, I'm going myself early next year. I'm wanting to go there and enjoy it before the olympics happen. Still deciding whether to go in the later-end of winter or just wait for the start of spring.

Attached: b7662006712a503a349dce082da6e434.jpg (600x916, 207.37K)

Like I said, it seems to stem from the question usage of が.
何が好きな食べ物ですか?
What food do you like?
寿司とピザが好き!
I like sushi and pizza!
Alternatively:
寿司やピザや天ぷらが好き!
I like sushi, pizza, and tempura among other things!

You see, the question has to do with favorite foods, therefore the answer lists all the favorite foods or with the use of や an incomplete list of foods. Now let's change the question.

寿司とピザは好きですか?
Regarding sushi and pizza, do you like them?
寿司とピザは好きです。
Regarding sushi and pizza, I like them.

This question is specifically asking about sushi and pizza, therefore the question is just about those things mentioned. We don't know if the person asking the question like tempura or ice cream because they weren't asked about that. は gives a connotation of an incomplete list of foods he likes because we only know what was brought up.

It's all interconnected, you just need to know how to look at it.

Attached: assburger.jpg (196x223, 5.67K)

I meant to write answering the question.

From the song 「ワールドイズマイン」the very first sentence is giving me trouble:

What is the function of this て right after 心得?

It's the て form of the verb 心得る.
Usually when there's no auxiliary verb after the て form, it's a shortened version of てください.
Basically, with this 心得て is being used as a command to the listener to "understand", "be aware", or "agree with" the situation.

ありがとうアノン君。

心得て、心得て
心得て、心得て
心得て、愛の概念を心得て。
Getting song lyrics to flow in the same conceptual order as in English is going to be a problem, isn't it? Bump.

僕の顔がそれを理解した。
I tried.

Attached: gum.jpg (900x900, 650.64K)

I'd say there are better things to practice with because lyrics tend to use more poetic language to flow better with the song.
The greatest princess in the world / that kind of treatment / you agree right?

I think normally it would probably sound more natural like this:
Treat me like the greatest princess in the world, understand?

But it wouldn't fit into the song like this, of course.

Does anyone know of a good workbook that teaches you some stuff with practice exercises right in the book? Or a place to buy kanji practice sheets I did a quick search on amazon but found nothing, though I might be searching for the wrong thing.

Genki, I guess.

I guess using song lyrics to learn new words and syntax wasn't the best idea.
Again, from 「ワールドイズマイン」 I just gave up and used the translations from this site*, also Miku is a spoiled bitch in this song.

I guess I'll try to practice on some booru untranslated pictures.
*vocaloidlyrics.wikia.com/wiki/ワールドイズマイン_(World_is_Mine)

Passing this along since I know some of you fuckers have as much trouble with conjugations as I do: steven-kraft.com/projects/japanese/

That's really cool. I saw he's doing counters soon as well. Really looking forward to that.

Music can be a great way to enjoy and learn the language though. Especially with Vocaloid since a large amount of the producers put the lyrics on their videos, often incorporating them in really cool ways. This gives you a chance to try and reading and listening, and if you're trying to understand things without stopping the song at all then it's a test of how quickly you can comprehend things. I've learned a lot just from music. There is also a massive amount of content to enjoy, which can help keep motivation up to better understand and appreciate it all. The downside is, as you've found out, making sense of lyrics can be extra challenging since songs often aren't literal or written the same way regular speech is. You'll still want to use other media forms too, but I wouldn't give up on music.

I've been playing JP SoulWorkers so I can remember/understand what I'm getting into.

Attached: 42c4c7734e0694030afdfd034af4ddd471b1fe15628735640eacb514d604ce4a.png (480x480, 116.07K)

Is there such a thing as subtitles in hiragana/katakana but they are wording english words?
After grinding my hiragana/katakana with Obenkyo (android app), I want to make sure I can quickly and correctly identify each symbol, and since I still know very little of japanese gramar and vocabulary, I can't just start reading japanese texts.
And if I am going to sit through some text, might as well entretain myself with it, so watching anime with subtitles in english but written with hiragana/katakana would be the best thing I can think of to cement those symbols into my head

Reading in just pure Hiragana is hell especially if you have no grips with the language due to the amount of homophones. Your best bet is continuing to grind them in your head and get started on a method for Kanji. Everything is going to take time and your initial dippings into the language when you start reading will be slow, I'm currently experiencing this but making progress.

Attached: 0ef1cfe3363623fc9c5a7829f05e0d33fa786fecf3029520fee085d26e046414.jpg (1536x2048, 262.02K)

A lot of Japanese words are already in English, but it takes a lot of practice to recognize them since they have to be adapted into their writing system.

ニュース = news
ホワイト = white
ドラム = drum
クッキー = cookie
etc.

Why does white have an english variant when there is already 白?

That art is absolute shit

It's a MILF with big milkies.

For loanwords I guess. Though White Day is also written in katakana even though it's a Japanese invention.

Because there's automobile, when you can use car to mean the same.

Automobile and car have identical colloquial meanings, but different literal ones.

What are you, a dork?

Attached: 1446352136057.jpg (620x720, 63.47K)

God dammit. Am I not using this shit right? It seemed like all the cards I got right were the first ones I learned, along with the ones I've reviewed within the last two weeks. It seems that I've forgotten a big chunk of cards in the middle. My steps for my deck are: 15minutes, a day, three days, a week, two weeks, and a month. So basically if I can remember a card correctly up to a month it becomes mature right? Is this a good setup even? I like anki but I have no way of knowing if this is the best way to memorize this shit.

Attached: 1467874050272.png (368x368, 112K)

Forgetting is a part of learning. I recently restarted the core 2k-6k deck since I took a break from it when I started playing games and I flew by a bunch of ones I remember having trouble with. Just make sure you actually mark ones you get wrong, I know it's really easy to just his "hard" instead of "again."
The absolute best way to learn words would probably be to read and create your own deck, but if you're only 200 words in, it's probably too soon to do that right now. This also has its own drawbacks, though. You'll only know words you've read in stuff before rather than learning from a generalized pool of common words. Reading also becomes slow because of constant searching.

Don't worry about it. If you keep using Anki it will drill them into your memory eventually. Plus once you start reading you will remember words even easier.

I'll keep this in mind. It'd make sense to grow a pool of words you learn while reading, thanks.

I think part of my problem might be that I'm expecting too much. I guess it just feels like I should know more at this point, idk.

Higher than 50% would certainly be ideal. For the first couple months you may be a bit more forgetful than you will be once you get used to daily study. I'm not even sure where you would find that information like that for Anki but I wouldn't recommend messing around too much with the default card intervals, ease and stuff if you have, not without first using it for a while to see how you do with it at least.

All I know is that it takes time for your brain to process information, and that the best way to make sure you don't forget something is to constantly expose yourself to it. This is true for virtually everything in life. 頑張ってね

Take some time to go through reading materials. You'll learn characters better if you associate them with something.

Speaking of reading materials, Dragon Quest 11 has already been released on the 3ds in japan so you could emulate that shit too

my sides

Attached: auto translate fail.gif (293x25, 999.07K)

3DS emulation is a thing that's not shit?

DQ11 seems to be simple enough that it doesn't have any trouble on Citra.

Just get a 3DS and hack it. Lots of good Japanese games on it to practice.

are there any japan only games worth playing?

Dai Gyakuten Saiban

Huh, turns out the guy who makes this is actually responsive, I sent him a message about some shit missing from his conjugation tools and he took it pretty well. I think I'll pledge to him.

Attached: chrome_2018-03-14_21-50-55.png (703x206, 41.01K)

Growlanser is bretty good so far. It was never released in English either, so I recommend you guys give it a shot once your reading skills are up to it. Clumsy redhead who falls in love with you at first sight is best girl so far

Attached: ULJM05423_00013.png (1920x1080 169.95 KB, 168.83K)

Is there something I don't know about radicals? This has happened on a number of occasions.

For example?

The top left character in top right text block in the image in very clearly has 𠂉, 米, and 女, but Jisho doesn't pull it up. I've tried similar-looking radicals, too.

That's 数. The radical on the right is not 𠂉, it's 夂.

I mean 攵

Oh, I see. I couldn't tell, because the top of 攵 is separated from the rest, and it's proportioned differently than I'm used to. Thanks.

It's easy to tell from context if you know the term 数少ない

I knew both 数 and 少ない, but I'd never seen them used together. I'm sure to remember it now.

Your not wrong, some radicals can visually be decomposed into smaller parts that also happen to be radicals, however when that happens it's the result of similar visual elements in Old Chinese being simplified in the same way, not that one radical is actually composed of others; radicals are atomic in terms of meaning.

I just laughed for at least 5 minutes straight.

When I'm working to learn Japanese, every time someone happens upon me doing this they offer a sarcastic remark. Never encouragement, always belittlement. Then they say I can't learn Japanese unless I go there. I'm finally starting to be able to read through my own efforts.

What the hell is up with this meme that you have to physically be in a country to learn their language?

Normalfags in denial about their own ability to learn a language themselves. They have no motivation and perceive a lack of opportunity to practice the language, which is obviously false.

It certainly helps to go there, but in the case of Japanese there is just so much material to practice with that it's not really necessary unless you want to learn to speak.

Kill them, no one needs to know.

I'm going to Japan next week. How do I get fluent?

Master 120 words a day, starting now.

The most often response I've gotten is a request to say something, often to say a dirty word. I guess the usual way it comes up is a family member saying that I speak Japanese and not that I'm learning it though.

This is why I don't tell people I don't trust to be mature that I'm learning the language, it never goes well and people are socially conditioned to think anyone that's not completely fluent is just a weeb in a phase.

kinowa eigo nanto iimasuka?

Americans especially have a tendency to think learning a new language is a herculean effort that should only be done to make millions of dollars. It's probably because citizens in most other developed nations end up learning their native language + some English, so they know it isn't bonecrushingly hard to be bilingual.

Where does the difference in time come from? Is their estimate overzealous, or is the level attained by Core2k just that much lower of a bar than "general professional proficiency?" Would the 2200 hours include things like consuming media in Japanese?

It includes studying in a room with other people, probably.
But also mind you even if in the 200 grammar hours (no way it is only 200) it includes the time to not just "learn" rules, but properly write and practise, it doesn't include speaking.
Also 384 hours of just kanji and vocabulary sounds like a joke. You realize it is not just 20 minutes a day to learn 10 kanji? It requires a lot more to practise them and the vocabulary you need to learn is like 10k.

this happened about a year ago, but your post reminded me
is right, in America people don't understand that some people enjoy studying other languages and that it can be done without being some kind of genius savant or taking hours and hours of college level classes.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1278x717, 1.61M)

Your numbers seems way too low. First of all, Core2K isn't going to teach you every word you need. You're also going to forget words, and as you get further into the deck the review time will go up. Knowing grammar and vocabulary also leaves out listening, speaking, and writing skills, which are surely factored into general proficiency. "General professional proficiency" also sounds like they would expect you to be able to have a serious job in Japanese, which would require more advanced knowledge than someone just wanting to consume media.

Even core6k is way below all the vocab you will need.

Those are good points. Speaking and writing are probably where the biggest differences are coming from. I've neglected to do them up to this point, other than being able to write kana, as I don't see them ever being useful to me. Maybe I'm being shortsighted.

I frequently see people say that you can understand most everyday native material at 2k. Did I misunderstand? I'm not expecting to read textbooks at that stage, just understand most comic books and video games.

Video games have a lot of unique words in them that you aren't going to learn from core, since that is the most common newspaper words.

What? I spend at least an hour and a half per day between the vocab and kanji decks.

I saw somewhere that online forums like 5ch usually need around average 8k words while studying at university level in Japan needs a few tens of thousands. It all depends on what you need to consume, some books have 1500 unique kanji in them while some advanced ones near 3000.

Say, fellas, what excuses do you guys find to write? I feel like just reading is slowing me down a bit and writing would do a lot for my retention. Do you have any forums you're a part of, chats/friends to talk to, anything like that? I need some ideas.

kinowa eigode nanto iimasuka

I chat with a native speaker a few times a day, but I'm only able to because I was lucky enough to find one who is also trying to learn English.

How long have you been doing it? If you're just starting out, then you probably don't have a lot of reviews, which would explain your quick completion time. However, even that doesn't make sense, unless you're trying to speed through the deck at breakneck pace in order to get it done as quickly as possible. How many times do you review new cards? Do you read the example sentences and try to truly understand them? If you're just speeding through the deck, then I don't think you're getting as much as you could out of your flash cards. The whole point of Anki is to constantly expose you to the source material in such a way that is engineered to optimize your retention.

Basically, you should probably slow things down a bit and take the time to truly understand all the words that you're consuming. Do you just look at a word and say its English equivalent meaning? If so, then that's not going to do you any favors. You're supposed to look at the word, recite it in Japanese, and then recall its meaning. From there, you're supposed to find native material that utilizes the words in question so that you can see how they're used in various grammatical contexts.

If you're doing it right, your review time should be upwards of an hour a day. On the low end, it may take around 45 minutes. on the high end, anywhere between 60 and 80 minutes, depending on how many reviews you have, how long it takes you to get through them all, whether or not you take breaks, etc. What I'm saying is that it should take you a substantial amount of time to complete your daily reviews. If you're doing it in less than 20 minutes, then I'd say you're not doing it right.

20 minutes sounds about right for me. You don't want to spend over an hour on something you're obligated to do every single day, in case you have a bad day where you can't spend that much time.

Attached: [email protected] (1903x2995, 616.24K)

You can find an hour. If you can't pull an hour out of the couch cushions, on break, on the commute, you can't afford the commitment this language needs.

If you can't afford an hour, you can't review and retain the thousands of words you need.

I refuse to believe you're pushing out 100+ reviews in 20 minutes every day.

Anki is just a supplement. You should do the bulk of your learning by reading.

As an example of a bad day, I was really sick like a month or two ago where I hardly got out of bed for a week. I don't think I would have been able to handle a long study session.

Right. Anki should be your bare minimum. Anki should be the anchor by which you maintain your commitment, because if you do at least that much every day, you'll never truly fall off the boat.

And it alone should still take you about an hour a day between vocab and kanji decks, unless you're just dishonestly mashing good on most cards and saying "yeah I totally knew that one" when you know in your heart you didn't.

That guy he was responding to was only talking about his vocab deck though. It takes me about 30-45 minutes to do the three decks I have, but I always recommend to at least stay under the hour mark.

Hmm, then I wonder what I'm doing wrong? The pictures say ~48 minutes between Kanji and vocab, but physically it takes me about, I dunno, an hour and ten on average?
I never seem to finish below an hour at lowest. I try to stay honest and review the kanji and example sentences on trouble vocab which bloats my numbers, but even then my retention isn't perfect.

I wonder if there's some strategy to it that I'm just missing?

Attached: [email protected] (1396x2992, 706.4K)

It takes me about an hour just to complete my core2k/6k for the day. I think that's because I take the time to listen to the clip that accompanies the card's example sentence, and then I read the sample sentence myself. I think this takes up a considerable amount of time. However, if I ignore the examples sentences completely, I can finish 200+ cards in as little as 25 minutes. However, when I do that, my score tends to be much worse than if I took the time to recognize every card. I typically give myself around 5 seconds to recognize a card, and if I fail, I just reveal the answer.

It could be that you, and others, are not like me and choose to rush through your deck on a regular basis.

Attached: [email protected] (1903x2995, 588.26K)

Not quite. I listen to and read/parse the sentence my first time I see a card, and again if I mess it up later. I only skip it if it's a card I answer correctly and feel sure I'm comfortable with. I also give myself a bit longer than 5 minutes on some trouble ones if I think I can figure them out.

I think the discrepancy might be down the the amount of reviews, on average mine tend to be between 90 and 120 per day, not your 200. I'm also wondering how accurate Anki's timers are, I don't know if it logs time spent after you've already revealed the answer.

It doesn't and by default it will also pause the time after one minute of disactivity, assuming you've gone afk. The Anki manual suggests just hitting again on any card you don't get in 30 seconds.

I also think over an hour is a bit too much time in Anki. For mature cards of a simple format that you've got down pat, it shouldn't be difficult or time consuming see the word, discern, "I know this," hit good and move on. No need to spend 15+ seconds on those such cards you're already perfectly well acquainted with, which seems to be primarily what consists of. Learning cards can use some extra time and effort, but your average mature card should be quick. Personally I do an average of around 100 cards in 20-25 minutes somewhat distracted, 15 when focused. I have a low frequency of new cards though and would estimate 30-40 minutes as a better time to spend when more actively learning new material.

Basically you want to avoid burn-out at all costs. Spending too much time in Anki is a pretty easy way to get burned out.

I think I'll need to do my timekeeping a bit more carefully and figure out exactly how much time I'm taking. It doesn't take 15+ seconds for things I'm perfectly retaining, don't get me wrong. I do 10+5 new cards a day between vocab and kanji and about 100+50 for review, respectively.

makes a pretty good point, some days when I either get a lot of trouble cards or my memory just isn't working well, I drag on way too long and just don't feel like doing anything else while I still have quite a bit of drilling to do on grammar and stuff, it's definitely one of the bigger barriers to my being able to consume media.

Learning to write kanji by hand is kind of a waste of time, but learning to compose correct Japanese sentences at least using a word processor / phone is important to develop your understanding.

Just wondering if I understood a lesson correctly. Is this sentence grammatically correct?
わたしは鯨が投げた

What is the word for that "thing" that the Japanese learn to hide their emotions?

Attached: 8b72e7032ef7596a78d1f9e69f49fac6901660ddfd3187af2fff99b56542f72f.jpg (360x318, 20.19K)

What was the lesson on? が is one of a few particles you could use there, it depends on what it is you're trying to convey.

just basic speech and sentence structure. trying to wrap my head around the lack of words like "Is" "Are" "Was" "Were" is difficult.

えがお

I think you might want to use を instead of が for this, as it's more specifically used to mark direct objects whereas が is more generally used for things that aren't directly being acted on.

Related reading:
imabi.net/theparticlegaii.htm
imabi.net/theparticlewoi.htm

Writing is useful to reinforce your memory though.

建前?

No. 投げる is a transitive verb, it uses を. What are you even trying to say?

Most Americans spend ~2 years learning a foreign language, the curricula for which is not only bad but getting worse, and then never use it again, and because they don't remember any of it 2 years later they feel like that's how much they actually learned.

A) what you said is best translated as "my 'whale' threw" or "as for me, the whale threw". You probably meant わたしは鯨が投げた。"I threw a/the whale"
B) what do you mean when you say "not having" copula words? Japanese has at least two copula paradigms: だ/です and literary である/であります, the former of which is usually one of the first things you learn.

Meant to say わたしは鯨を投げた, not to repeat the original sentence

か、可愛い…

Attached: ULJM05423_00056.png (1920x1080 153.95 KB, 156.78K)

Ok. Also, could i get some help understanding when you CAN'T use じゃない or じゃなかった? or are they completly exchangable with ではない and ではなかった?

That must be one hell of a present, or maybe she is just super desperate.

じゃ is a contraction of では, and like contractions in English it's mostly a question of convention. You would probably never say では unless you were putting emphasis on it or speaking fancifully, the same way you would probably never say "I am" instead of "I'm" in the same situations. Similarly, you would expect じゃ in informal writing, but in formal writing, even if it isn't incredibly so, it would be considered more proper to use では.

Yes, if you meant to say a whale threw you, problem is, whales don't have arms.

私は鯨を投げた -> I threw the whale

Can someone give me a better understanding of using adjs like あの and その

what are you having trouble with? they're basically direct translations of English demonstrative adjectives 'this' and 'that'?

I'm looking at a bunch of practice sentences and they seem to switch out それ with その and あれ with あの randomly.

これ and それ mean "this and that". When the の is added, it becomes possessive.

1. それはおいしい
"that's tasty"
2. その車は古い
"that car is old"

それ is used to say "that" without specifying the object. その+noun indicates that you're talking about "that object". "That car" or "that girl" etc.

can you give me an example?
それ is a pronoun and その is an adjective so you could expect to see その[noun] alternate with それ. but you shouldn't ever see その on its own or それ[noun].

I get it now, thanks.

その is not an adjective. It's simply a reduction of それの.

A) all genitives are by definition adjectives formed from nouns.
B) They fill the grammatical role of "Demonstrative Adjective".
C) その andそれ come from the Old Japanese pronoun /so2/, the former from it's genitive construction /so2no2/ and the ladder being formed by analogy to /ko2re/, itself an alternative form of /ko2/, which took the regular, unreduced genetive /ko2no2/, and the word それの has never existed in the history of japanese, nor has これの.

Greetings my good goys, please hit me up with some good vidyamagames I can play in good old JP please

What's the point of the smaller "step" decks that exist for the Core decks? I began with the 1000 card Core 2k Step 1 deck, thinking at the time that it was the right thing to do, and I'm almost finished with it. But won't adding the other steps and having to review across 9 decks become a huge mess over time? Is there an easy way to consolidate them?

Also, I got the 6k and 10k decks, and found that they're structured differently than the one I've been using. Mine has five cards per word, for listening, reading, in and out of context and so on. The 6/10k decks only have cards with the word within the context of the sentence. I wonder if that's really going to be as effective, as it seems to me that each word will be reinforced less. Fewer redundant cards per day might accelerate the process, but it might also lend to burnout.

Attached: 21e8afbae62d5b88e07d626852fc592fa9b98ac97c252f00cadaaf862e17fdcd.jpg (720x480, 45.75K)

dont think about it.
just do something.

You shouldn't have redundant cards unless your deck is setup wrong.

Attached: 2018-03-19 06_19_49-Options for Japanese Core 6000 Vocab and Sentences ALL STEPS.png (391x482, 22.39K)

You have a point, and I admit that I over-analyze things, but I haven't stayed burnout-free for eight months by being careless. I'll do something whether or not I've concluded that it's the "right" thing, but I don't want to waste effort, either.

That was a poor choice of words on my part. I don't mean that I get related reviews on the same day, I mean that my current deck has five cards per word, which are related, and because they come sequentially, I usually get all of the cards for a new word on the same day. I've noticed that I retain each card with different levels of success, and wonder how much the correlation between them improves retention. The new decks have only one card per word, so no relation can exist.

You shouldn't get related new cards on the same day either.

Attached: 05c4b7be1e7a565a63c0a45b82dfb7ccb604fb3cb3b593ff3971e0a7ea094d01.gif (500x400, 255.46K)

Now I don't know what to think. I wouldn't have changed that from the default setting.

So I was under the impression that はな was flower. But now i'm seeing it everywhere as nose. Someone explain plz

花 is flower, 鼻 is nose. They are both はな

why even live

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1238x695, 1.72M)

What game?

vndb.org/r46052
I'm pretty sure I got it from nyaa, but it looks like it's not there anymore. I could upload it to MEGA if anyone wants me to.

Oh, I think I was the one who found that for you, if you asked in this thread a while back.

Holy shit, you're right. It was about a year ago, I remembered asking about a different one but I forgot I asked for clover day's as well.

Looks like you couldn't find it this time either, ばか
sukebei.pantsu.cat/view/2061626

Attached: 1448444305620-4.jpg (686x584, 238.49K)

well, fuck. I always forget that not everything on that side of the site is straight up porn

either way, it's crazy to think that a year ago I was struggling to read even はなひら and now here I am playing all sorts of games in japanese and reading VNs and manga without much trouble at all.

無礼

It's not a porn game? VNDB says 18+

Once you hit that point it gets a lot easier. Good job.

Attached: 7b7bd5cacbdebd5eadd4426da69fcf3b8f9664d48668b09b942fe6f7b386f5bd.png (457x645, 128.59K)

It definitely has some h-scenes but it's certainly not a nukige. It's also pretty long, I've been at it for a decent bit and I haven't made it to any porn yet. Also suffers from the VN classic "spend 90% of the game in childhood flashbacks"

Just tell me it's gonna happen for me somewhere in the next 10 years too, otherwise I give up.

Only if you don't give up.

So in short I'll give up if I give up? That's… useful to know.

as long as you work at it consistently, you'll get it at some point. It really sucks in the beginning but once everything falls into place and clicks you'll realize the for the most part, the basics of the language are much more simple than English.

Though there was the one guy a thread or two ago that said he'd been at it for 4 or 5 years and still couldn't really read anything
I hope that's not you

Maybe this will be more useful

um, I think I'm the same user
well, I can kinda read nhk easy news without having to look up every second word, but that's about it

NHK easy was the second step for me, and if you can understand it, then you've at least made progress. From there I started out reading some VNs, and like I mentioned before, at first I really struggled, but the more and more I was exposed to simple dialogue and various ways the characters speak it started to make sense to me.

A) Genitive nouns are not adjectives. There are only two types of adjectives in Japanese, 形容詞 ending with い and 形容動詞 with な in the attributive form. Aside from that, 同じ is an exception with an irregular form which comes from an older 形容詞。
B) Just because demonstratives are adjectives in English doesn't mean they are in Japanese.
違う is a verb in Japanese, different is an adj in English. English is irrelevant to Japanese grammar.
C) That's interesting because to say "those", it's それらの. What the hell is the れ then?

Also, apparently それの does exist, it's simply more formal.
ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/"それの"

Since people know what snow is, 雪が寒いだ is how you would say it, right? not 雪は寒いだ?

A) anything modifying a noun is noun phrase adjunct. I used the term 'adjective' colloquially to refer to all noun-phrase adjuncts because adjectives are the most common types and they all behave in basically the same way: limiting or describing the referent of a noun. So if you want to be technical, ok, genitives are a kind of noun adjunct. Further, the distinction between ~な and ~の is often fuzzy: certain nouns appear to form adjectives in their genitive and can't take ~な, and some analysis do not differentiate between between nouns and な-nominals because they are in free variation or complementary distribution, which would make ~の and ~な allomorphs.
B) "Demonstrative Adjective" is a cross linguistic category and I never mentioned English grammar specifically. In fact it would be less correct to call them adjectives in English because they pattern like determiners, which are a distinct category in english but completely absent in Japanese, so in Japanese they pattern like adjectives (as do all noun adjuncts).
C)それらの is formed by それ+ら -> genitive それらの, but this happened after その was formed; Old and Middle Japanese didn't distinguish singular vs. plural demonstratives.
それの in those sentences translates as "Its" "that (things)'s" or "of that (thing)", or are just part of locative constructions. I shouldn't have said that "それの has never been a Japanese word", what I meant was that at no point did その develop by abbreviation of それの. The reason you have to distinguish them is that それの is the genitive of the pronoun それ and is used when the antecedent of the pronoun is being used attributively, whereas その is a demonstrative adjective (or demonstrative determiner if you prefer), and the two aren't interchangeable even when ignoring register.

As far as I know, background knowledge per se doesn't have anything to do with は/が. You use は after the thing your talking about and が when the subject isn't the thing you're taking about, so it's still 雪は寒い. Also don't use だ after i-adjectives, it's a convention of speech that's taught in schools and considered standard so doing so makes you sound uneducated. です yes and certain other inflected forms of だ as well, but never だ itself or the past tense of either.

バンプ~

What do you guys think about /vg/? Should we move the thread there?

Attached: 3f0d3d08ab081160d776e7f9e51a1824414f6914c1611f5d02375524e4feca3b.png (708x720, 68.33K)

Too early to tell.
>Should we move the thread there split the board even further?
I don't see why we should. The moderation here can be retarded sometimes, but I don't see why people are talking about exodusing right now specifically, and these threads in particular don't have any problems existing on Holla Forums at the moment. What are you hoping would change by moving there?

True

These threads are a good source of traffic, so they could boost the board. Holla Forums is kinda shit lately.

What is the ideal way one should go through the kanji deck supplied by the user anki package?

I don't use the OP deck so I can't speak for it in particular, but my deck has English keywords for each kanji that I use to try and write them from memory.

Should I be memorizing the various pronunciations for each kanji along the way? Or should I simply be focusing on writing the kanji based on the given English meaning?

No, memorize the pronunciation of vocab instead.

Fug. I finally beat Growlanser but I can't find an iso for Growlanser 2 now.

Attached: 09d014c6c8dc5fc62b272df249847167749ed9326594aaaaf93d27fa4278d5ef.jpg (482x549, 32.24K)

I just finished the first Final Fantasy, and I've got two questions about the ending text.

「2000ねんの ときをこえためぐる ガーランドのにくしみ。それは ほんのすこしの すれちがいからおこった ささいなものだった。」 I'm not sure what the second line means, especially the すれちがい part. It's something about Garland's hatred being a small thing? Just not sure of すれちがい. If it helps, the next part is 「しかし このせかいを みちびくはずの 4つのちからに それは ぞうふくされ 4つのカオスをつくりだしたのだ。」 Though that's just saying that his hatred was amplified by the elements that are supposed to lead the world and gave rise too the four Chaoses.

The other part is 「4にんは えらばれた。このせかいを あんこくにそめた4つのちから しかし ゆいいつそれを とりのぞける 4つのちからに。」I'm lost on the 「しかし ゆいいつそれを とりのぞける 4つのちからに。」 part. Don't know what ゆいいつ means in this context (the sole something). I think it's about them basically thwarting the four evil forces.

For convenience, here's a link to the ending text. youtu.be/5wGF8F6QmPM?list=PLxT7xTW3SWkPIIsoqb9KOIa7YRuYzQL3z&t=201

The rest of the game was pretty easy to understand, but parts of the ending were just weird to me.

Attached: 終わり.PNG (324x192, 33.46K)

I don't envy the guys who had to translate those kana soup games back in the day.

Yeah, it was more of a pain than I expected it to be. The dialogue was mostly simple, but kanji certainly would've helped. I'll play one of the remakes next time.

Started with the only motivation being anime/vidya/manga.
Then thought about the political situation in Europe and quickly realized that once SHTF, Japan is the top of the list of country's I'd wanna be in, considering I can't stand Americans and Australians and Japan is the only first world country aside from those and European ones.
So now I'm learning so I can fuck off and be a freelance programmer in Nipland instead of getting hit by a bus of peace or get arrested for complaining about the same.

I just finished ff4 on the SNES the other day in japanese, and while it wasn't hard to read per se the text was small and the lack of kanji made it annoying. It was more of a slog than a difficulty. I've started 5 and it's amazing how much easier it is to deal with the massive font size and not all kana, even though some more complex kanji still just appear as a solid white block more or less.

This is getting a bit out of hand since I now want to check out the yotsuba reading pack, Ive been grinding for an hour every day but I dont want to neglect the primary deck if I tackle the yotsuba vocabulary alongside it

how do you guys juggle multiple decks? will I end up piling up even more daily reviews as time goes by? I dont want to spend all my time in anki, I want to read stuff and study more grammar too

Lower your new cards if your reviews are getting too long.

what would be a good number? I have it set to 20

You could set it to 0 for a month or so to see if your reviews go down. Or half it to 10.

I haven't gotten far enough in my lessons to know this yet but I felt like asking. In longer past focused sentences do all parts that can be conjugated to past forms get conjugated, or only specific parts?

Could you give an example of the kind of sentence you mean?
Being on the safe side, I'm just going to say that conjugation for tense is on a main clause by main clause basis, only the predicate (final verb or adjective) of a main clause inflects for tense, and in constructed verb-forms, only one of the parts will inflect for tense, and you'll learn which part when you learn the constructed form itself.

actually it would be more correct of me to say "on a finite clause by finite clause basis", because dependent clauses can also inflect for tense if they have a finite predicate in the right mood.

擦れ違い(すれちがい) has 3 different meanings.
1 触れ合うほど近くを反対方向に通りすぎること。「擦れ違いに呼びとめられる」
To cross paths, to pass by each other.
2 時間や位置などがずれて、会えるはずが会えないこと。「共働きで擦れ違いの夫婦」
To be unable to meet someone you were supposed to due to time or location being off.
3 議論などで、論点がかみあわないこと。「会談は擦れ違いに終始した」
To have an ideological dispute/disagreement.

It's saying that a very minor 擦れ違い is what caused Garland's hatred. You'll have to guess what exactly it's supposed to mean from the context of the game's story.

That last part is interesting. This sentence is an example of かき混ぜ文, which actually aren't uncommon at all. Basically in that sentence the subject and verb come first, and the rest of the sentence comes afterward. It could be rewritten like this:
四人はこの世界を暗黒に染めた四つの力、しかし唯一それを取り除ける四つの力に選ばれた。

"The four people were chosen by the four powers that stained the world in darkness, but are also the only four powers that can remove it."

If you're confused about 唯一, it often follows that pattern, appearing behind the object. For example:
唯一魔王を倒せる武器。
"The only weapon that can defeat the demon king."

Yeah I looked up すれ違い in a couple of different dictionaries, so I knew of the other meanings, it's just that that sentence isn't clear even knowing that. I'm guessing it's using the first meaning and is talking about Garland's anger passing my the elemental energies of the planet or something.

唯一 only confused me because I didn't know what it was referring to. I was thinking it was talking about a singular thing, but I guess it must've been saying that the Light Warriors were the only people that could stop the evil. I was thinking too literally. It all makes sense now. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

That's not what it was saying at all. Did read my whole post?

君たちは絶対日本語を学ぶことができないだろう。

Attached: you can't learn japanese forever.jpg (600x439 134.51 KB, 188.88K)

それは嘘だ!あなたはバカだ!みんなは日本語を習っているのが出来るんだよ!

日本語でおkwwwwww
it should be 習う not 習っている

Motherfucker, if it takes less time to learn Japanese than I've spent playing Monster Hunter, that's hardly a deterrent.

貴様!あなたの冗談はうるさい!我慢が出来ない!
I'll never figure out te form.

Yes?

So why are you still confused. It was clearly referring to the four elements, not the warriors.

Well I was more concerned with 唯一, but I've got that now I believe. And I thought it was referring to the warriors since they're the ones that actually get shit done, restoring the powers to their original good, guiding selves again.

It's a passive voice sentence saying that the four warriors were chosen, but by whom or what? That whom or what is marked by に at the very end of the sentence. The meaning is that the four warriors were chosen by the four powers which shrouded the world in darkness but were at the same time the only four powers that could remove it. It's like changing the sentence 英雄は王様に選ばれた。 Into 英雄は選ばれた。王様に。

It'd probably be better to replace うるさい with わずらしい or くやしい, huh?

Yeah, I got that. I guess I just missed it because you never actually see their influence in the actual game, you go around stomping shit of your own power. But whatever, I got it now. Thanks.

How do (sentence final present indicative) い-adjectives behave in registers other than だ体 and です体? specifically in である体 and であります体?
I know that
and based on that last one I'm guessing that
but I'm not sure about the last two.

わたしの「働きたくない」というのは、会社で仕事をしたくない訳ではなく、毎朝同じ時間に起きて布団から出て顔を洗い自尊心が保てるレベルの化粧をしてそれなりの服に着替えて外に出て帰宅後はお風呂に入り歯を磨き寝る、という普通の生活がなぜか出来ないからなんかもう殺してくれというほうが正しい

バンプ~

Attached: 083.jpg (1252x1800, 767.83K)

I'm training Kanji as i learn new words, but they don't seem to stick, how do you anons make them stay?

Attached: 1517105676338.jpg (1280x1440, 528.12K)

repetition + mnemonics + studying radicals
For example, take the word 最高 (saikou). 高 is pronounced as "kou" in this word. Then, take the word 高い (takai). In one word, it's "kou" and in the other it's "taka". Through pure observation you can see that 高 has two pronunciations or readings.
If you're having trouble recognizing the Kanji, you study the radicals. For the longest time I had trouble discerning between the words 理科 (rika) and 料理 (ryouri). You'll first notice that both words have the same kanji, 理. However, despite the fact that the two other Kanji in play are incredibly similar, the one in "ryouri" has the rice radical (米) next as an accompanying component, while the one in "rika" uses the tree radical (木) and the line radical. You notice this, you can easily tell the words apart. Obviously, you can also notice that in "rika" the first Kanji 理 comes before the second, while it comes last in "ryouri" but this wasn't enough for me to tell them apart.

Finally, mnemonics can help you tie concepts to radicals and words themselves. Here's an example. The word for "mud" is 泥 (doro). The word for "Thief" is 泥棒 (dorobou). Not only do they share the same Kanji, they share the same reading, so that's one way to remember these two words. Additionally, you can just remember that, "Thieves have sticky fingers". See, because mud is typically sticky. It tends to stick to anything it comes in contact with, much like a thief's fingers.

Or you can just remember it as 禾

Yeah, that's the radical I was looking for. It's "2 branch tree radical" but I just said "tree and line radical". Close enough, but I was too lazy to go look up how to write it out just so I could respond to that post. You still get the idea.

people ITT are going to tell you to memorize really gay mnemonics for every kanji you have trouble with. Personally, when I have trouble with a kanji, I split it into individual parts (using Wiktionary) and memorize those. This helps in two ways
example: I used to have trouble with 雑, so I used Wiktionary to break it into ⿰⿱九木隹 (read as nine-tree-bird), and A) it's easier to remember those parts and how they combine then the entire kanji and B) I think "a bird with 9 different trees" -> miscellaneous trees -> miscellaneous

I used the meaning "wheat" for that radical in mnemonics. See if that helps you from now on.

That's what a mnemonic is, dummy.

I disagree. I just try to combine the individual meanings in a way that I think explains how the character was derived, where as a mnemonic would be post-hoc, not very concerned with the actual etymology, and also probably a lot more based on idioms, and also normally a full sentence, so more like "birds can't count to nine, so that many trees is just miscellaneous".
Also even if you consider it a mnemonic, fine, at least it isn't a mnemonic that makes me want to kill myself. Pic related is the quality of most mnemonics that get posted in these threads.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (874x395, 37.96K)

A mnemonic is just any trick that helps you remember something. In the case of kanji it's usually a sentence made up of the meaning of the different radicals.

This site is better for kanji mnemonics than Kanji Damage imo
kanji.koohii.com/

yeah this is the kind of thing I have a problem with. things that are A) phrased as a full sentence but never something anyone who isn't retarded would say, B) etymologically wrong, and C) adding a bunch of extra information that's useless.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (450x384, 46.25K)

It's just a means to an end, as long as it gets you to remember it who cares? You're not remembering the sentence itself, just the kanji.

I care that's why I choose not to use them. I have a method that works just as well for me and doesn't make me want to kill myself every time I think of it and also doesn't actively make me more wrong about the underlying meanings of the characters.

no u
1. 輸入 "you knew"
2. 醤油 "show you"
3. 破る "rip and tear" vs 被る which means "to wear" It even fucking rhymes
4. 訪ねる vs 訪れる; たずねる also means 尋ねる which means to inquire
5. 勝負 and 勝ち; match and win respectively, share the same kanji
6. 教える vs 数える; おしえる is "strike" + "soil" + "child"; picture some ancient martial arts teacher who has rigorous regiment, a bunch of young boys are sparring with the master, he kicks their ass and they eat dirt. "such lessons are harsh but effective"; かぞえる is "strike" + "woman" + "rice"; you can just picture a bunch of women counting grains of rice
etc. etc.

As long as you're not hindering your learning.

Attached: 3455973540ece9c945b27e7d1409375aec6fe2f9d740b1370520ae985faf7f14.png (940x720, 315.14K)

As for 車, I just picture a car's suspension.

Attached: 000.png (785x1433, 513.32K)

Yeah, some kanji don't even need a mnemonic if they are recognizable enough as a pictograph.

It can also be read as だか.
名高い
出来高
割高
売上高
声高

and a lot more.

Well that's due to rendaku, not a separate reading.

If I say:
火をつけるか
with an upward and inquisitive inflection at the end, can that be taken to mean that I am asking someone else if they would like me to start a fire (for the purpose of staying warm)? Or, do I have to add:
火をつけるのがほしいか
in order for it to make sense? Would that even make sense?
Mainly, I want to know if I have to nominalize the verb phrase and add the adjective in order for my question to be understood. Is there a more natural phrase than this, or does this work fine with this adjective?

Maybe 火をつけてほしいか

Though I am not sure if つける is the right verb for starting a fire. Maybe 焚く would fit better.

Attached: 戦場のヴァルキュリア4_20180323163549.png (1920x1080 2.94 MB, 2.93M)

How did they translate the 4th one, if checking is convenient? Was it literally "Ah, so his precious waifu was stolen" or something along those lines?

Also, nice digits

It's not out in English yet.

It's still a separate pronunciation.

How good of a learning tool are the EMIT and Dark Hunter games?

>Emit is an adventure game that is the first entry of Shibusawa Kou's "English Dream" series -followed by the two-part entry, Dark Hunter. The purpose behind both projects is to teach Japanese people the English language with the help of a thrilling narrative. Each game has English consultants with a dual language and subtitle option for players.

Attached: DHGYnM_Saturn_JP_Box_Front.jpg (1745x1370 854.38 KB, 959.4K)

What do you think?

面白い
I wonder if the plot of these games is any good

Attached: hmm.png (600x661, 94.21K)

Interesting, I didn't think something like that existed.
I'll download it first thing in the morning then.

Off-topic, but what's the best Saturn emulator?

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Sega_Saturn_emulators
Also, all 5 games had PS1 releases, and all three EMIT games had a SNES release that functioned with Voicer-kun.

Attached: KH1002front.jpg (532x600, 60.64K)

バンプちゃんと上げるちゃんは友達?

Attached: bump.gif (267x200 11.31 KB, 16.02K)

How this is related to video games?
Fuck off

死ねええ!野郎!

Moon runes is practically the liturgical language of gaming you ignorant faggot.

Reminder.

Attached: 失.png (1086x800, 572.86K)

you're pretty good.

It truly is a magical language.

Attached: Women in group.png (806x247, 15.13K)

I'd love for you to go up to a real Japanese person call them Kisama.

習っているの出来る > it is possible to be studying
習るの出来る > it is possible to study

Wrong thread?

So i just started learning about Keiyōdōshi and im wondering, if im not mistaken, cant the majority of adjectives be shifted into these forms just by adding the だ?

You're probably going to need to post a little more information about what you're talking about

No, because the other class of adjectives (i-adjectives / keiyousi) cannot be followed by だ in the first place. Only nouns and keiyoudousi can; i-adjectives are predicative and copular in their own right, which is to say, they can act like verbs without any supporting structure, and when they do, they have the meaning of "to be [adjective]".

I see, thank you.

please do it
you guys are better at learning japanese than we are
east-asians being smart is a meme
white weebs >>>> japs

Attached: 戦場のヴァルキュリア4_20180324023756.png (640x360 3.05 MB, 11.08M)

いくらなんでも、それが男じゃない

She took the name of some guy who used to be in the squad. They haven't explained what happened to him yet though.

Still can't read for shit.Can someone help me translate this?

I'm partially at lost on several things like that や behind of 世界, the only notion that makes sense is as a dialectical substitute to は of topic. 

Attached: saki.jpg (818x1200, 312.96K)

I don´t know about the や particle. jisho says that it can also mean だ in kansai dialect, but da shouldn´t appear somewhere in the middle of the sentence i guess. I tried my best to translate it anayway, but i´m still a beginner, so you should probably take it with a grain of salt.

や is like とか there

I want to learn Japanese.

Attached: incredible.mp4 (640x264, 264.35K)

You can do it user.

Attached: 4ba873beb5b507b12226e739514a385e6960196317e96bb2d4f9b4a48d3a3013.jpg (960x540, 81.15K)

It's probably a typo that should be a に. It wouldn't be topic marker は as 世界 isn't the topic, 光 is. It's not a dialect thing because you don't just switch to a dialect for a single particle in narration. It's not because it would need to be noun clause や noun clause, listing like things, which it's not.

It takes a long time to learn, but it isn't all suffering. Once you get some general grammar and vocabulary down things get more fun. You could probably find an hour or two a day to devote to it, depending on the difficulty of your degree.

Attached: ^_^.JPG (380x270, 31.42K)

this, it sucks at the start but becomes very enjoyable once you start being able to read interesting media.

I need to learn chink quick since my guild in an online game just made me 2nd in command. Does that Rosetta Stone thing work?

This is Nip not Chink, someone needs to post the obligatory Chinese Learning image.

Same shit, they are all gooks from Japan. So will Rosetta Stone work or not?

Do it, it's a 10/10 learning method that we all use.

Attached: 60df1bbaa9c5be4e1e28ca36fc6a665d5698c022ccc889b5eced0b913e24c60a.mp4 (640x360, 1.76M)

Attached: 2c0a73176b84cc9ca96441ce2b462e0e7640cb08756523a3379597e2e4fbb74d.png (1400x5552, 857.09K)

Thank you, it's more or less the meaning i came up with but i'm still having trouble with the structure. Should probably revise my grammar and read more.

Thanks, i didn't even consider that it could be a typo.

Rosetta Stone can't even teach you normal Japanese well. The kind of Nip you need to play vidya probably wouldn't even be addressed in their most "advanced" course. Rosetta Stone is mostly a phrase book.
How much do you know already?

It might work for romance languages, but nip is too different from English.

Wait a second….What's the point of Keiyōdōshi if keiyousi are already predicative and copular? Is there something about sentence structure that i'm missing here?

If anything they are all from China.
Also, chink = Chinese; gook = Korean; Jap/Nip - Japanese. Get your derogative right. I bet you will fail miserably at learning the language.

originally there wasn't a point to keiyoudousi, they just happened. In middle Japanese, some adjectival meanings were more commonly expressed with an adjectival copula phrase "[noun 1]にある [noun 2]" meaning "[noun 1] that is [noun 2]". the にある was then abbreviated to "n'a" and then "grammaticalized" as the "~な" of today.

In the modern language, keiyoudousi are important because keiyousi have become a closed class, that is, new ones are created rarely if ever, and most new adjectives are keiyoudousi. There aren't i-adjective equivalents of every na-adjective, even if you count archaic ones that nobody would actually use anymore.

It's been five days and i've got a few words that just refuse to stick. What do you guys do to help with problem words?

Just keep at them.

It's been five years and I've got a bunch of words that refuse to stick. What do I do?

Do you read anything? It helps to see them in context.

NHK easy news, when I have time for it. Lately, it takes more than an hour to grind through anki, even though I didn't increase my load.

I know www and はい and よろしく and that is about it.

You should be reading more and doing anki less

New thread

You just gotta start learning the normal way, nothing you can do to save time besides supplementing your vocab with slang and in-game terms.
Use Tae Kim because it starts with the informal first and search for colloquial equivalents of the forms it teaches you.