Is there any reasons that GoG doesnt put most of the new & non-indie games for sale...

Is there any reasons that GoG doesnt put most of the new & non-indie games for sale? Because even after they stopped with the "We only sell old vidya but Witcher", most of the stuff is still in Steam, while publishers/developers shouldn't have any problem with giving permission to GoG for that (AND WHY WOULD THEY? The more places your game is, bigger the audience & sales).
Its not like Valve could pay the publishers everytime to prevent it, or to delay it that long. Devs/Publishers want money, and GoG gives more posibilities to sell more games. Why is still GoG so limited even after all these years?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/desura/desura-app
lutris.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

From what I've heard, GoG is pickier than Steam and they'll flat out refuse games they personally don't like or don't want to sell.

I dunno, and honestly I don't super care. GOG is where I pickup old nostalgia shite.

>giving money to (((Bethesda)))

they're extremely picky about early access, they're not that picky otherwise they just take a month or two to give approval.

The publishers are extremely salty about Steam having weight to throw around to get a huge cut.
GoG doesn't have that weight, so I'd imagine the publishers are demanding that they get to keep their DRM and that GoG's cut will tend towards 0%.
Alternatively, GoG realizes that AAA games are a cancer on gaming and are aiming to be the only store still standing after the next industry crash cleans house.

Gee, it's almost like publishers love their DRM, microtransactions and paid mods.

gog is only good for no DRM torrents

Yeah, sure games like Dark Souls, or Nioh are triple A games with DRM shit, and that should still be "in testing", even after years after the release! (talking about the Souls games, the other example, Nioh, I think was out for PC in november of last year, not sure).

The Duke3D version here is the Atomic Edition from Devolver (I think?), one of the first things Pitchford did is actually remove the possibility to purchase the game from GoG

the publisher wants drm on their games, so they dont put them on GOG.

Well they do advertise themselves as being the only NO DRM platform on the market, so if they start selling games with DRM, they basically become Steam but with less games and features. I remember there was a thread back when No Man's Buy came, and some anons speculated that GoG Galaxy is in fact a form of DRM, but it was never proven. From what I remember some of the newer games had a galaxy.dll in their game folder and if you removed it some games would either work fine, while others would crash, but it was never clear if it was just to save achievements on their cloud platform or if it was spyware. We do know that some companies use GoG's servers to host multiplayer matches, and thus to play multiplayer you need to run GoG Galaxy, but that in itself is not DRM, as long as you can play singleplayer just fine without Galaxy.

Desura is kind of like that github.com/desura/desura-app
So is Lutris lutris.net/
It could be better.

What I really want is a free software chat program like Xfire so we can easily coordinate games without having to use Steam garbage. Accounts are created immediately, just username and password. E-mail for password recovery optional. Just text and maybe image embeds, with hooks in to already existing apis like steam_api so we can see what other people are playing and have overlays for in game chat. Maybe avatars or basic profile support, but it's all secondary to the idea of playing games with fellow anons. Voice chat not really important since we already have mumble.

Why not use teamspeak?
Please note that it's been almost 6 years since I last used it, so I don't know what has changed.

closed source

Not the user you are refering, but Lutris is a program that have WINE scripts done already for the versions avaliable of the games that it supports. Its not the same.

Headscratcher.

Devs would have to patch both GoG and Steam version then. I guess they don't want to waste time with that. For example Dragon's Dogma on GoG is missing last two patches and there's plenty of games like that.

This is mostly because devs are fucking idiots who write their games against a proprietary API and then find out that coding against another API would mean ripping out a bowl of spaghetti code and hooking up another bowl of spaghetti code. The Right Way(TM) would be to have an abstraction layer and code your game against that.

Basically you have a little library that provides functions like getting achievements, saving to the cloud and such, that provides an API to use in the game. The actual implementation of the library can then use the proprietary API. If you want to port to another API you just port that one library, the game stays the same. This is essentially how SDL works, it abstracts all the low-level device access away and gives you an API that works the same on any platform.

Doesn't GOG require all games it sells to be DRM free? That would probably be a bit of a discouragement to some devs (some devs who don't know how piracy works, but still, some devs)

faggot

Wouldn't a simple IRC client suffice?

This

Here's the thing about DRM and piracy: one actually encourages the other. Basically piracy vs not-piracy is a matter of convenience and price. Basically whichever choice has the fewest and least severe disadvantages is the one people will go for.

Disadvantages of piracy:

So, if you can present less disadvantages than that, you can sell your game instead of having it pirated. This is already somewhat an uphill battle because of the fact that you have to spend money on it, but hey, no viruses and you get to support the developer. With a platform like Steam, you also have the advantages of integrated social features and the ability to download your game from any computer with Steam installed. But Steam introduces the big penalty of "if you get banned, you lose ALL your games". Thus far the advantages outweigh the disadvantages because as far as I know, Steam hasn't gone full retard and started banning people for saying mean things, only for cheating in online games. But the more DRM you introduce to a game, the more people will just say "fuck it, it's easier to just risk the pirate".

Their Galaxy client is proprietary and there is no GNU/Linux version. Judging from that ugly UI it looks like HTML so they are using electron which means "porting" it would be trivial.

It's Pansy Bitchfraud.

Leave it to western devs to manage to make the 3DPD the superior version of a character to the 2D counterpart.

Joanne a cutie

Steam is kind of going full retard over time by allowing the other DRM systems, but then again, that's the publisher's choice, on the other hand you have certain devs banning people from their forum sub-section for daring to talk bad about the game, reporting bugs and things like that.

THINGS YOU GET WITH GOG
A GAME SALE, MAYBE GOODIES SALE IF YOUR A FUCKING SHITHEAD AND SELL THAT STUFF SEPARATE.
THINGS YOU GET WITH STEAM
DRM "PROTECTION" FOR YOUR GAME ENSURING THE "2 WEEK STANDARD" I.E. TIME FOR A GAME TO GET AWAY WITH A TON OF SALES DESPITE BEING SHIT
FURTHER MONETIZATION FROM STEAMCARDS/MARKETPLACE
FREE FORUMS AND FORUM MODERATORS
EASIER TO SELL PACK IN GOODIES SEPARATE

Its nice that GOG isn't overrun with shovelware thanks to their curation system but I do agree with your assessment somewhat OP
Its a bit annoying that I can't get all muh nip indies and whatnot on the platform, hell just more nip games in general like Sega games would be nice, where's my Valkyria Chronicles?
I'll be patient and vocal with em though, they're getting better.

That's honestly a good thing about em, if a dev wants to keep DRM in their games I know their game isn't worth supporting financially
unfortunately this includes tomato
I was considering buying the PS4 version despite not owning a ps4 just to show my support but it was just too expensive for me to do that, fuck denuvo and fuck square enix

You say that like GOG forums didn't exist.
Can you somehow turn your steam wallet playmoney into real world money again by a legally sanctioned channel? What does this even mean?

Because, despite years of dedicated shilling, GoG is just too small to give much of a shit about.

Pack in goodies is shit like the soundtrack and what not, not like a FLAC soundtrack or something that would big enough to ship seperately

It's not exactly new by now, but I'm surprised Capcom put Dragon's Dogma on GOG.

No, the Atomic Edition was just the original special edition of the game. You're thinking of Megaton Edition, which was a Steam DRM-locked version of the game.

By the way, GOG's pricing is just horrible. Some of those games I've bought 10+ years ago on a CD FOR LESS.

True, because for most of the games I got , when on linux, its says "Still not avaliable on linux", even when it should have no problem.

Why? PS4 games ALL have DRM.

Eh? Explain

desura was*

RIP

What about current prices (like the people selling old games for $400 or some bullshit) and inflation?

I honestly think it's because of the no DRM thing. The suits want their investment "protected" and putting out a game without DRM for them is impossible. Real shame since GoG is pretty much the only digital store I buy from since they can't take my games away.

No consoles have the locks on them the games don't. It's why emulators can play legit games and dumps. That being said a lot of console games now though do have always-online drm built into the games.

Never pay for video games, user.
Always pirate.

disagree tbh

I used to get frustrated with the people who just refuse to never buy anything. However the anime community's recent spat with piracy is bad has broken me. I'm kind of starting to think copyright is theft and all entertainment, art, whatever the fuck, should just be free. Then if you like something enough just give money directly to the actual people who made it.

The problem with that is accounting and credit.
I'd imagine for example Bayonetta, people would be sending money to Hideaki Kamiya, not the concept artists, musicians, programmers, et al that also helped build the games, since he's most active on Twitter and recognizable. In some other cases, someone could just pocket some money without fairly distributing it to each employee as company revenue and salary effectively does.

I think some people might actually credit him for Devil May Cry 3 and 4 as occurred a few times on Twitter.

Well in cases like that the company themselves would take donations for Bayonetta not Kamiya.

Again, DRM is a recent thing pushed by only Triple A studios, while most of the non-indie games doesnt have that. Its something else.

I'm pretty sure that is what it is since the big publishers actually do add older games to gog, like Assassin's Creed and Crysis, once they've sold through as much as they will.

What are you talking about DRM has been around since the 80s. It started with instruction booklets having codes or other stuff that would need to be entered into the game. Even actual digital stuff has existed since the late 90s with CD keys for online games. Then you had all the securom bullshit from the 00s. It was only put a stop to because steam became so ubiquitous and offered just as much "protection" as 3rd party stuff.

And now we have denuvo. The quest for bullshit never ends. Denuvo seems to be getting cracked faster and faster these days, but something else will replace it when it's dead.

Gog is DRM free. Games are "cracked" day one thanks to gog releases. Devs don't like pirates.

It's probably a contract thing

Source?

>>>/trannypol/

if only they released actual old games anymore. nowadays if they release something like Jazz Jackrabbit instead of usual indieshit it's a huge celebration

But that's wrong, though. It's possible to just sell a normal installer on Steam, you just have to request to not use any of their workshop integrations and so on.

user, games are shit. I struggle to come up with ten that are worth 20 bucks, let alone 60.

Attached: b01f87bde0878e046797f033014428cc847c4fe736eb79056d151edbf7406e69.jpg (3492x2408, 902.44K)

Hate defending Steam but that's not how it works at all. You don't lose your library. You can't purchase any new games on that account and you can't play online with any steamworks game

I got a free helicopter ride for you, faggot.

Fun thing, mate. There are a ton of old games that I adore.
They're not worth paying money for. Hell, I paid for most of them once already.

Lemme guess, you're one of those "lol i bet you didn't buy a ps4 because ur poor haha" faggots, aren't you? Piss off to whatever shithole you came from, faggot.

You misunderstood him. GoG bills themselves as having no games with DRM (which I'll believe until I see compelling evidence otherwise), not the ability to have games without DRM.

Most old games, if not all, aren't worth paying money for simply because the development studios that created them no longer exist. Even for studios that have persisted for a long time like Bethesda, the actual people that worked on those old games have long since left and the studio exists in name only.

The only entity that's getting money from you is the kike publishers and IP owners, rather than the creators.

Playism usually has those, I believe. That's where Pixel released Kero Blaster a few years ago and all the Momodora games are on it, along with plenty of weird Japanese games.

Loaded terminology. I hadn't heard about that. What specifically were they talking about?
That "eliminates" theft by making everything worthless in the same way communism "eliminates" crime by making everyone live in a quantum state of guilt and innocence depending on whether or not the secret police are looking at you. It doesn't solve any of copyright's real problems, such as its insane current duration (thanks to Disney's lobbyists) or the various ways something can be split up to the point no-one can use it, or corporations/publishers who acquire and sit on IPs rather than doing anything with them.

Do you mean in the realist sense that money won't go to the dev teams (in which case you're being dishonest because who on Holla Forums wouldn't know that) or the philosophical sense that the games were never worth their price in the first place? I'll assume the second because the first doesn't make much sense: how can you adore something but say it was not worth your money in the first place?

the problem is not the client, it is the gog galaxy which is akin to steam's sdk, it enables multiplayer shit. Now this could be avoided if devs at least released a single player version for linux, but they're lazy.

Exactly that.
Copyright IS theft. It always was.
It does not "protect" creators. It locks creations behind corporate suits and lobbyists.
Also, you might not even give money to someone when you like his work.
If you give money, chances are that the creator will become more and more greedy or join the SJW cucks.
Get what you want for free, always.
And those that are harmed by this? Fuck them.

I sell products at the same time that i don't buy products from other, but get them all for free, user.
This is living the good life: always sell, but never buy.
Let idiots buy, while you profit without buying anything, but still acquiring everything that you want, for free, by any means.

The world is not fair, user.
And never will be.
Think only about what it is good for you and your closest associates. Not for others that don't even know you.

Some anime youtuber made a popular video stating (correctly) that all the anime streaming sites are trash and do not make any effort to improve. Also that if practices continue people will have to sub to like 10 services just to watch everything they want because of exclusivity deals. So anime fans should universally boycott them and pirate everything till they get better. This came right around Crunchyroll stating they have given over 100 million dollars to the anime industry. Which means nothing since we do not know how much money they are making.

So moral anime fags had a huge meltdown and just said no you have to pay for everything. It doesn't matter that these services are garbage and not improving. Just subscribe to all the services blindly and be good boys or else the anime will go away. That reaction proved to me that piracy is 100% absolutely necessary to ensure proper competition.

nah, it's just there's not a lot of point in releasing games for linux since no one uses it

Replace "get better" with "die." I'd take even shitty Commie/gg-tier memesubs over some of the absolute garbage official subs we've been seeing lately.

十二大戦

That's not very different from what other companies are doing. Except they have far more influence and resources than individual consumers.
Why would they give anything for free and rely on donations when sales benefit them more?
Or do anything like release on GOG, Linux, etc when releasing on Windows, Steam only benefit them or their contracts more?

Oh, the DigiBrony video, right? That was a while ago; I didn't realize people were still discussing it.