Mario Tennis Aces

Nintendo Direct Trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=mMHT2vdWvpg
hooktube.com/watch?v=mMHT2vdWvpg

Mario Sports titles, including Camelot's, have went downhill after the Gamecube era in my opinion. With Mario Golf World Tour being on a handheld instead of a console and after how barebones and low effort that was Mario Tennis Ultra Smash on the Wii U, will this revive Camelot's sports titles?

(continued)

Mario Tennis N64 has a total of 16 characters (not including the human transfers from the handheld), Mario Tennis Ultra Smash had a total of 16 playable characters, and Mario Power Tennis had a total roster of 18. Hopefully this game will at least get to the number that Power Tennis in the base game.

Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Toad, Boo, and Bowser are common characters that are returning.

Rosalina and Toadette, who debuted in Ultra Smash, are also making a return here. Bowser Jr. who debuted with his Koopa Clown Car in Ultra Smash instead of being on his feet like in Power Tennis reutrns again here in his Clown Car.

Chain Chomp is a new character. Sprixie Princess and Dry Bowser, who debuted in Ultra Smash, so far seems to be absent.

So far what seems to showcased is more variety then Ultra Smash at least, with a Stadium, Grass Stadium, Forest, Desert, Temple, Area with White stuff (Snow?).

A common theme with the course so far though is that they seemed to be more based on 3D World more then anything else, correct me if I'm wrong.

During the gameplay often times a spot or something similar keeps appearing when they play that shows you where the ball will land. Unsure if it's chance shots or something similar.

This gauge seems to dictate your ability to use Zone Shots, Zone Speeds, Blocking, and Tricks Shots. Slowly fills up when constantly hitting the ball back and forth in a rally.

Guessing the new gimmick for this game. Allows you to slow down time, aim with the motio controls, and shoot the ball wherever you want. Drains the Energy Gauge, and deals "damage" to the opponents racket, causing it to break and earning you a free point if it get's hit 3 times by a Zone Shot. Unsure how I feel about this, as it heavily disrupts the flow of the volley in game.

Everything around you turns slow motion, seemingly allowing you to return the ball easier. Also seems to allow you to return Zone Shots without your racket taking damage. Again, unsure how I feel about this, as it heavily disrupts the flow of the volley in game.

Your tennis racket has actual durability. As explained above, Zone shots and similar moves (like a Special Shot) deal damage to your racket and can cause it to even break, losing you the match. While an interesting spin, am unsure how I feel about durability in a tennis game.

To prevent Zone Shots from doing damage to your racket, a perfectly timed return to the ball is needed. Seems to also give you more Energy Gauge if performed.

Seems to be an equivalent to Power Tennis' "Defensive Shots", only far less overpowered here and not an instant freebie to return the ball. Successful in performing these gives you a lot of Energy Gauge.

Seems to be an equivalent to Power Tennis' "Offensive Shots", once your Energy Gauge is fully completed you can initiate an extremely powerful shot that can even instantly break your opponents racket if they don't return it correctly.

Friends or other players and online tournaments. Particpating in these can still earn you Special In-Game Outfits or Additional Characters (I guess that means you can still unlock new characters evee just playing online?)

They don't go in much detail, but I'm speculating the reason why Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi are in special tennis gear is that characters outfits are customizable? Really would enjoy that if that's the case.

Motion controls, for those that care.

Normal Tennis without all the gimmicks is available, which is also very good for me.

I actually kinda liked World Tour

Honestly Chain Chomp looks cool, I'm looking forward to playing as him.

Alright, didn't catch that from the video, looked like some silly shit if not for that.

Maybe it's one of those things you have to actually play to see the appeal and fun in,but it just looks boring.

Like the original Splatterhouse?

What the fuck kind of comparison is that.

I get ya.
I thought the same thing about the N64 one when I was younger until my cousins rented it and then we had a blast.

lmao is this 3DS Tennis v 2.0?
Reminder that a paint job doesn't make a game inherently better, Power Tennis was a step up in terms of overall fun but sacrificed a lot of what made Mario Tennis 64 a competitive experience and the RPG games are by far some of the most influencing Sport RPG games out there.
Also, reminder that both 64 and Power Tennis had 20 playable characters, with 64 allowing for ditto matches, whereas this game has 15 confirmed and the other ones are probably going to be event based or dlc.
YES THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANT, WHO CARES ABOUT SKILL CEILINGS AND PRACTICE, LIKE, JUST STOP THE GAME, FAM, AIM WHEREVER YOU LIKE, NOT LIKE IT TAKES PRACTICE TO MASTER THE SPINS AND THE BALL LANDING ZONES
No fucking way there isn't someone on the team that jerks off to her constantly, she wasn't even memorable in her own game, like, I get it, it's cute that the Lumas are there for her and all, but is she such an iconic character?
What the hell, this won't be exploited at all, surely
Might as well put a Djokovic mii in.
The only good new feature. It will prevent people from abusing the windshield technique that too many Boo players use, but with the risk of looking like an idiot if you miss.
Also what's stopping you from throwing the special shot directly AT the opponent, it counts as a point either way and if he blocks it it's a broken racquet and probably even a won match, no way Nu-tendo is going to make penalties for people who ragequit, so what's the point?
Online with simple rules is going to be a mandatory experience, but is it really worth it the investment when you can set up Mario Tennis 64 on netplay on comfy gamenights for free? Also I guarantee you, the controller is going to be unbearable without the full Switch. It just doesn't look like the type of game where that tiny thing can be as precise as a full controller.

I like silly characters being included in these games, Chain Chomp is fun. Since they cut Wiggler from Mario Kart, I hope they bring him in to play tennis instead

Mario tennis is generally better than most normal tennis games, like Virtua Tennis, but i can see how you'd think tennis is boring.

If you watch it before having first played it it looks boring but then when you actually play it it's great.

The most enjoyment i've seen out of tennis is watching real tennis and laughing at the people grunting like apes.

It's really not, they added way too much gimmicky shit that got in the way of the gameplay.

I never found it too bad. But it's just not high grade competitive fun (not in the e-sports kind, in the "5 AM and you're still butting heads with your buds" fun).

It just feels like they slapped a shit onto it without thinking about if it'd be fun to play with others or not. The Power Moves really ruin it.

It's promising.
Every shot they've introduced has a hard counter, and way to get around it, as well as restrictions on its usage.
Like, the zone shot requires both meter, and from what I saw, to be standing in one of the star spots (in prior games, these usually occur from a bad return, like a slow lob) and they can also be blocked.

The trickshots also alleviate one of the most common ways you score a point on an opponent. The simple
Which means you can't just do the standard "left > right > left > right > lob" combo, that'd get you a past a lot of CPUs/people, and expect to win. In fact, now if they're crafty enough, they'll call it out, and get more meter. The same goes for just picking the opposite side in a zone shot, it's never guaranteed.

It's all promising, but I'd need to play it firsthand to really gauge how it is. I like the idea of making damn sure there's a hard counter, to every super move, but only time will tell if these new shots add enough to the game that I'd want to play with them, or if I'll just default to playing in simple mode, like I did with Open. At the very least, the fact that they're not "broken as fuck, instant wins" makes them better than the power shots.

Good thing I didn't buy Ultra Smash.

Say what you will about game balance but the game looks very stylish. I'm digging the Jojo: bizarre adventure meets mario tennis gameplay

I won't care about another Mario Tennis/Golf until they bring back RPG mode and none of that bullshit Mario Golf World Tour tried to do. That gear system was just a poorly handled version of Legend of Golfer's gear system with half the gear and customization.

It's not just that. Game feels floatier than Tennis 64 and it takes a really long time to finish a full match, as opposed to 64, where sets would depend entirely on the skill of the players involved as opposed to the overall speed. I recall having had a hard time finishing a 1v1 in Power Tennis while being comfortable making tourneys for 64.

The problem with this is that it introduces a very poor way of playing - since I know that the enemy can use one of his special time stop moves, I'll just play all my balls as close to the net as possible, no matter if it's beneficial to me or not, just to deny the opponent the chance of scoring one easy shot and potentially breaking the racquet in the process. Also it just seems more painless letting the opponent score with the super move than having to potentially relinquish one racquet health point. At least, I would probably abuse the system and force quit my opponent for ez wins, which is a terrible gameplay idea.
This is the only good addition, the ability to counter Boo faggots, especially those that play super close to the net because they know they've got a nice speed stat too. But the tactic was already very possible to counter in the base game, just play all your shots with power characters as close to the outer lines as possible and always go long when you receive, as the opponent can't slice it next to the net without risking to hit it in the process.
Also, power shots weren't broken at all, you could always hit back, the problem is that everyone charged theirs at the same-ish rate, so it just became a matter of counter picking based on the gauge gains and the power of the move. Also it didn't help that you could LOSE your meter if you tried to defend, the taunting to lessen the opponent's meter were bothersome as fuck and the hitbox on some of the moves was just weird, Mario's is like, a full on rectangle but sometimes it doesn't connect as well as it should.

Looks fun. Reminds me of the Mario Golf gameboy game. Plus didn't camelot make Golden Sun?

Yes, the RPGs in GBA Mario Tennis/Golf are even like Golden Sun's graphic style.

Are you actually retarded? Were the words on screen too difficult for you to understand?
They showed that even the special shot can be blocked without your racquet breaking if you time it correctly. The aiming and superspeed mechanic are both meter based, so you can't spam it.

They said there is some kind of story mode but they didn't go into details with it.

I wonder if characters like Birdo, Fly Guy, Wiggler, Petey Pirahna and Baby Peach ever reappear as playable or if anybody even wants them. These characters generally appeared once or so and never appeared again. Donkey Kong Jr. will forever be dead thanks to Diddy Kong, and Luma will likely forever be replaced with Rosalina

Also I'm retarded, Dry Bowser debuted in Mario Tennis Open, not Ultra Smash.

Yeah your racket seems to have a 3 health bars. Only a special shot can potentially destroy your racket in one shot.

High level, gimmick-les play is fun and fast passed. Though I prefer Mario Golf

Despite my caution over slowing down time and durability mechanics more thought seems to have been put in here then they did for the Power Shots in Power Tennis for sure.

In the game's first announcement, they specifically mentioned the Gameboy Advance game when it came to bringing back a story mode, but to be frank I don't believe them that it will be equivalent. It looks like it will be passable for single player content but I don't believe it will be as heavily RPG, and think fans expecting that will be disappointed.

Petey is a boss in the single player, and he's fucking huge, so unless he has an alternate version that is smaller, I don't think he's gonna be playable. Also has Birdo been in anything in like the last decade? I think she's been MIA ever since Captain Rainbow reminded all 4 people who played it that she's a tranny.

She's been in the M&L RPGs and the recent Paper Marios but she hasn't appeared as a playable spinoff character in a while

Why do they hate him so much? He's my main in MK8.

It gets real fucking bullshit when it comes to dodging and no continues.

That's why.

Wriggler would be a fun boss in story mode. He could weild 3 tennis rackets in 3 sets of hands and you beat him by breaking them with zone and special shots.

I dunno man, I really need to get my hands on this to know how I feel about it.
I'm not a fan of how you can pick exactly where you want the ball to go, but then again you never really know where the opponent will hit the ball, in any of the games, to begin with.
But like, I actually rewatched some gameplay of Ace difficulty in Power Tennis, and I'm still unsure of how this will all play out.
There were so many times the guy straight up lost a game, and if this were on Aces mechanics, he could've trick shotted it back.

The meter also seems to be an attempt to alleviate some of the stuff you're talking about, too. For one, it's actually visible now, but also it's used for more than just powershots. Really though the trick shot stuff is the only thing I'm genuinely on board with, as I can see it leading to some intense saves and clutch moments.

At the very least, I'm glad we're never getting chance shots again, and they're genuinely putting forth effort. Even if these mechanics fall apart, I'll still respect Camelot for mixing it up, and trying to actually evolve the gameplay, in ways that have hard counters to them. The same can't be said about their previous two Mario Sports entries.
Well, maybe World Tour, in a loose sense. But I was never a fan of Mario Golf, in comparison to Mario Tennis. Solid games, but not as fun as the real time gameplay of tennis.

Fuck you

It feels like they used the same stamina guage from BOTW or is it just me? The game seems good but nobody would buy it or it will die down, even though it does seem pretty good but not 60$ good.

breath of the wild invented green circles

Looks promising, but the special shots to save the ball or countering your opponents harder was the shit.

Attached: Waluigi as Trump's sidekick.jpg (900x600, 45.91K)

The special moves literally don't ruin Power Tennis and you don't know shit you're arrogantly talking about.

user, the original Splatterhouse was an arcade game, meaning it had infinite continues. Unless you're talking about the Turbografx-16 version, which had at least a couple continues from what I remember.