New controllers for old consoles

So I just saw this recently on Jewtube, and it looks like a neat idea. It seems this might solve the issue of the pesky thumbpad that is prone to breaking. Apparently there is a slight deadzone on it, and the D-pad is worse, but then again most N64 games don't use it. Also, the c-buttons are slightly larger too. Do you think we'll see this happen with other consoles like the Sega Saturn (though I personally enjoy the Saturn controller). Apparently, this controller is not too expensive either 30 bucks I think which isn't that bad when I've been seeing used N64 controllers going for $20 and upwards. Do any of you anons happen to own one?

this reeks of subtle advertisement for the simple reason that the official N64 pad wasn't all that bad, i have literally never heard of the thumbpad breaking, and the "slight deadzone" was always the death knell of an old controller and a sign that you needed to replace it before long

Back then it sure didn't feel like it, at least until I tried the Dualshock.

Have you never heard of third party controllers before or something? Pretty sure this one was around even when the n64 was still current.

Yeah I've heard of them, it just so happens that most of them are shit, I've always heard great things of the hori-pad though, whether it is NGC or the N64. Isn't the hori-pad expensive though? Also, it looks like its only for manlet hands.

I don't mind the N64 controller, its perfectly serviceable, but the only issue I have with it is the rate at which the thumbstick craps out. I try to be as careful with my controllers as I can but there's only so much you can do if the hardware itself is shit.

N64 controller was okay. I can understand the hate behind it but I thought it was fine, but then I was a kid when I had it so maybe I just tolerated it without problem because
also I've never heard of a durability problem with those controllers, the fuck you talking about OP

With lots of use the thumbpad is the first thing to go, hell, a lot of videogame stores even do replacements for them because its a common issue.

I'm starting to understand why people go through the trouble of connecting an old console controller to their PC. If you want a good controller, you have to use one that was made over a decade ago.

Sega seems to be re-releasing Saturn and Dreamcast controllers, according to a display at some game show recently. There's no need to make a new Saturn pad, though the Dreamcast controller could use some reworking.

I was considering making a new controller for perhaps the Neo Geo, Amiga, or even Atari systems, but the Genesis controllers work fine on almost everything, and the Neo Geo should be played with the sticks it came with, I guess. I may still do it, though, as my idea is pretty damn simple. Just need to get some bigger boards and etching compound.

Yeah, I find myself almost never using it. I normally just use an adapter for the saturn one on the dreamcast and it works pretty well except for some games. And if its a 2D game I always use the saturn 2D controller because fuck the dreamcast D-pad.

That somehow looks more uncomfortable than the original.

The N64 thumbstick is strange. I replaced my old worn out one with a stick that was more like the gamecube version (but advertised as a replacement N64 stick). The new-style stick I installed is AWFUL for Smash Bros and F-Zero and basically anything that requires any finesse or any input below 100%. In Smash it turns every single A-attack into a smash, and you're always sprinting. In F-Zero you can't stop bouncing off walls. You have to be extremely careful to get inputs in the lower end of the original analog spectrum. I wonder if OP's controller suffers from the same thing?

Should've done some research first; Cube sticks in N64 pads are shit.

allegedly, the new pads are pretty solid. I haven't heard anyone say how it handles things like mario's movement gradient in mario 64, side flips, or quick spins in zelda. I'd like to try it myself and last I heard they aren't too expensive.

great controller, goes for 75-110 USD these days, so not so great for that reason. For the few games that use the d-pad, poor placement.

the 64 stick is literally a pestle and mortar and as the stick rotates around the bowl it continues to dig itself out until it becomes a loose mess. A real shame as the analog stick is very precise and a lot of the games on the system use that precision thoroughly unlike many modern games which mostly relegate analog sticks to stop, go, and half-go. Very much PC game like approach to design which is all digital in its input.

I really don't like the engineering of the "RetroFighters" controller. The L and R buttons are a single piece of plastic, formed to be a leaf spring in the middle. Yeah, flexing cheap plastic repeatedly won't have any disappointing consequences. I bought a couple for investigation purposes. I already have a couple ideas for fixing the fucky shoulder buttons, but I'll wait and see if there's a genuine issue with them in the short term or not.

I seem to remember that you can get replacement thumb sticks for the N64 controller.

As already covered, those largely suck ass, and need a modification for the inputs to be less fucky. Way too much hassle for most people who would even think of repairing a game controller.

yes, and they're really bad. GC style or n64 style. There's also this shit which I imagine works amazingly? But I recall it being retard expensive.

are the line outs that much different from typical analog sticks?
i've never replaced an n64 stick before but if the output is the same you could probably just toss in a ps3 replacement stick.

a/b look too low i'd be interested in a model like that where the c-buttons use a gc style c-stick and it's swapped with the a/b buttons location.

Isn't the N64 controller infamous for it's deadzones? I dunno if it's because it used rotary encoders instead of potentiometers or what, but emulators often have an option to emulate the deadzones.

An N64 stick in good condition has a very small deadzone, but the way the sticks are made, they chew themselves up. Old doodle explaining the issue.

Dude looks like someone has a gun to his head

donot bully try
he is nice autist who helps retro gamers