Battle Data

Have you noticed how much Japanese games seem to be enamored with the concept of battle data? As in, the heroes saved the day and killed the monsters, but the villains were the actual winners because they obtained "valuable battle data". Resident Evil is probably the franchise that mentions this the most, but I've seen it come up in a number of JRPGs as well.
I understand it's a narrative trick to maintain tension after the player has wiped the floor with the antagonistic forces, but it's so silly I don't quite get why so many have used it. Has any western game mentioned anything like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

allthetropes.wikia.com/wiki/Trope
allthetropes.wikia.com/wiki/All_The_Tropes:Why_Fork_TV_Tropes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Boil it down to cultural differences; not as a meme either, the Japs just see the sacrifice of individual assets/people for a collective cause as being an everyday thing.

I thought it was the premise that the real battle was for the data, not the conflict, so the enemies won by completing their objective, and all you did was either save someone, save a city, or do something else that was your overarching objective. It does indeed keep the series going since the villains are never outright defeated like the Enclave in Fallout 2. This allows for expansion in future updates and not having to come up with wholly new antagonists.

I'd prefer if games instead just made a game or two as you playing as the antagonist and gaining power to have an enemy to fight in future installments. It'd be a good method to introduce new antagonists in a series that are properly fleshed out instead of just adding in random evil faction #38.

its called a "trope" you dumb nigger
nips have a lot of nip specific tropes that are unique to their culture

That's why I want to know if western games ever used it. To know if it's truly a cultural trait.

Back to your SJW site with you.

It's a narrative trope.
You actually see this far, far more in sidequests where characters ask you to complete a mission, sometimes in a specific way to "gather data".

What it basically means is that you get an extra objective\mission\goal to complete that doesn't have to affect the story one iota or award you with gamebreaking rewards.
However even better, it's the perfect justification as to how that NPC figured out how to do some new weapon or gizmo later on if the writers need it to happen.

Alternatively, you can think about it based on how players themselves do it.
You fight an enemy and you might even have to run away, but before you do, you're gonna try everything in your inventory and figure out elemental weaknesses or total armor and attack speed of your enemy so future attempts are well planned against him.

The battle data in RE is meant to be be used as a selling point for BOWs and testing to se how they can improve their BOW, hence why tyrants constantly become better.

This is what "that kid" used to do anytime you LARPed on the playground.
Japanese game devs are being that kid.

How do you win if your battle data confirms that your BOWs SUCK ASS against pseudo-SWAT

its also interesting in that Zombies aren't actually BOWs but side-effects of the viruses used to create BOWs.

The only BOWs that are actually zombies are the plagas zombies while all the umbrella viruses were just mistakes.

It's a copout/trope because their writers are notoriously and infamously terrible.

That is one good looking cat.

It comes from them not knowing how much fuel to put in their planes so they'd just send people out with varying sizes of tanking to patrol the Pacific. If they didn't radio back, they assumed the tank was too small.

It's a cultural thing, OP. Japanese people seem to be enamored with statistics as a way to determine value / power / etc. It's prevalent in a shitload of their games (any JRPG), anime (OVER 9000! etc), movies, and so on.

It's less so in the west where there are just clear winners and losers and it feels like a more binary pass/fail affair.

The Japanese also love the idea of wunderkind, and it shows up in all sorts of places; like how Chris Redfield was a USAF Captain at 18 or some shit.

But they dont though, they wiped out most of said not-SWAT and also the entire police force and mercs.

I thought that was more of just an artifact of us basically playing games and consuming media that is aimed at children well into adulthood, and as such, the characters and settings are designed to appeal/include children. But obviously reality doesn't work the way it does in anime, so characters all have to pass themselves off some kind of prodigy in order to make them somewhat relateable. Once the trope is established and entrenched, it spills over to other characters/plots/media (especially if the target demographic is still young adult).

I mean, that's part of why so many anniemoos and games take place in high schools and star young kids… because it's mostly marketed to that demographic, but it also appeals to adults because that's the last and only brief moment of self actualization most of them have in their entire lives before entering the crystalis and coming out the other side a faceless corporate drone who will die of a heart attack on the subway at age 45. High school is the common denominator for them all, and an idealized time in their lives to fondly recall.

BoWs are a retarded idea for a weapon in general. If you deploy them, they spread an infect goddamn everything and you can't control them. Short of maybe the remote activated Hunters in RE:CV, I guess. Best example I heard about this was something Pat from TBFP said

BoWs were just a fictionalized wrapper to explain the various enemies in RE1, but it became increasingly goofy as the series went on.

You see it a lot in kids shows, yeah, but it also seems to pervade media for adults. (Like Resident Evil, Ghost in the Shell, and other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting.)

You can just nuke the zombies afterwards with no consequence.

Google "Unit 731"

But then why use the virus in the first place?

To disable the MAD?

And destroy all the infrastructure? Why are you even fighting a war in the first place?

To kill them dead of course.

>>>/cuckchan/

It's common to assume meme is just another word for describing jokes and humor but memes are more then that it's the DNA of culture itself, ideas and concepts that spread like a virus and in turn change your mind and how you view the world and act upon it. In fact the word was coined by Richard Dawkins by altering Mimeme to sound like gene, you should read his book The Selfish Gene it's good stuff.

You’re retarded.

trope is a real, distinct concept.

allthetropes.wikia.com/wiki/Trope

allthetropes.wikia.com/wiki/All_The_Tropes:Why_Fork_TV_Tropes

I dunno what they were thinking when they choose wikia though, especially if their goal is to prevent censorship and ads because both of those will be shoved down your throat at some point if you use wikia.

Battle data is an interesting concept which is beginning to see some use in the real world. For example, you can collect demographic data about the height, weight, age and other parameters of which fighters are most likely to win a boxing championship or UFC and determine if there's a pattern. You can measure the average (and median/mode) duration of a match, the frequency of which techniques are used to win, and the success rates of attempts at different techniques. In the military you're looking at which areas of a vehicle are most likely to take damage, which areas are most likely to render it inoperable if they get damaged, the success rates of different craft by weight load, and so forth. As far as how it gets used in fiction goes, it doesn't amount to a whole lot if the heroes can easily destroy the improved version of the evil minions the bad guys create with this data.

But it's actually a literary convention.
"Trope" is just what tvtropes users call them because they're egocentric little shits who think that they're special for having basic pattern recognition.

they're egocentric for autisticaly cataloguing tropes for fun? what's so egocentric about it?

it is the cat of silent judgement

a trope is literally a literary convention

Like that stopped ZeniMax :^)

By egocentric he means gay. They have male gaze as a trope

Ahahahah, no.
A lot of animoo stars in high schools with dumb teenagers because highschool was the top moment for a lot of otakus or shut ins or average japanese salaryman. Compared to what their life is on their 20s or 30s, highschool was fucking bliss.
Now combine that with some powerfantasy or an harem and you have the perfect escapism for them.

Anime about power fantasies or harens in an highschool background isn't just aimed at kids, it's also aimed at lonely and depressed young adults.
Kinda like how the entire shoujo genre is aimed towards young girls and older men.

Nuclear weapons could be considered a retarded weapon applying the same logic, since their main goal is to target the civilian population and exterminate a contry thus.
However they still have power in warfare anyway as deterrents, just like BoWs would.

Besides, that's the whole point of using bioweapons against a location, you exterminate all life but leave the infrastructure intact for easier takeover.
In this case, you just gotta wait for the zombies to break down or use an antidote.
And let's not forget that you can deploy armed forces to handle it, which should be simple if the entire point of it is simply to kill civilians.

That's literally what he says right after

I always thought the BOWs were genetically altered beings like the Hunters, Tyrants, Lickers and the like and that the infected like the zombie humans and dogs are the result of an accident and not supposed to be actual bio weapons.