Open world Zelda could work

BOTW was a game of wasted potential but despite it's massive shortcomings I believe you could make Zelda work in an open world setting.
Anything else to add Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamebanana.com/skins/160828
twitter.com/AnonBabble

and has since at least the NES,

What he's getting at is Breath of the Wild was FUCKING GARBAGE.

I'm more talking what they tried to do with BOTW.

No more damage sponge enemies and actual challenging boss fights.
Also fuck the rain mechanic in BotW, makes climbing a nightmare and if there's no shade around you just have to wait it out.

Can a human impregnate a zora? What about a ruto?

BOTW worked. It wasn't flawless but you know damn well sonyggers made their mission in life to force the consensus it was shit.

Please get the fuck out of here

It's trash, just like all other zeldas.
Try playing actual action RPG instead.

1. Kill yourself.
2. It was a shit game even by LoZ standards.

Probably, the zoran champion wanted to bang Link and there's a side quest where you help a zoran girl meet her long distance, human boyfriend.

Don't know.

No, it worked because normalfags were deprived of a Zelda game on the wiiU, so they were thirsty as fuck.
It failed as being a Zelda game (no characteristic OST, no real dungeons, no artifacts/items from dungeons, same bland aesthetic on puzzle chambers and guardians), but worked as an open world pseudo-survival.

Boss fights in BOTW were a fucking joke.

for casuals maybe, but it ended up sacrificing a lot of what made the Zelda series special in the first place to appease the widest common denominator

I still say making the entire overworld Hyrule was a massive misstep, they should've used the increased world size to expand on what lies beyond Hyrule rather than stretching everything out to fit the new iteration. It would be like if Odyssey still took place in Peach's Castle but they made it five times bigger

>>>/out/

holy fuck all they need to do was add some god damn dungeons and remove weapon durability. no one likes having weapons break mid fight when you cant even repair them.

Not even that as the world had nothing to do in it.

I would like to see the return of gimmicky tools you acquire in dungeons. I miss you slingshot.
I want treasure chests to contain things that are worth my fucking time, even if it's something as lame as the gasha seeds from the gameboy games.
I don't want my weapons to break, irreparably, and this goes double for the fucking master sword.
I want to see recurring characters that matter (see Groose).
I don't want all my friends to be dead for 100 years before the game even begins.
I want more than one interchangeable enemy that is merely a sack of hit points. Remember when enemies required different methods to kill them? Burn the bandages off the mummy, pull the mask off the mouse dude, stun the electric fag so you don't get shocked, bomb stone enemies, etc.
If the games continue to be as open world as this, they need some serious improvements to sandboxing. Weather control, time control, etc. These abilities have already been established in previous games, so why not do it now?
Revisit boss fights. Majora's Mask did this pretty damn well, Skyward Sword had its own version too. Of course we need decent fights for this to count
And most importantly, a story that makes you want to finish the game. Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess did this better than the rest of them. The story doesn't need to be groundbreaking by any stretch, but it certainly needs to be fluid. Even fucking Dark Souls tells a better story than Link's Brittle Adventure does.

lets imagine Zelda would free itself from nintendo clutches and went multiplatform, or pc. Do you think it would be good for the series?

My sides!
This was one of my biggest problems in BOTW, none of the enemies felt fun to fight or they were just really easy to kill.

That doesn't make any sense. Neither zoras or rutos have fur.

BotW was decent but flawed. When viewed in context of the market which contained plenty of shitty open world title BotW rose above mediocrity simply by giving enough of a shit to be competent with plenty of small touches.

Exaggerated grievance over BotW is kind of like exaggerated grievance of virtue-signalers trying to fit into their progressive cult. You don't have to pretend BotW's flaws are a billion times worse than they actually are just to fit in here.

Anons are giving their reasons in a pretty civil manner so I'm not sure what has you so bothered.

It had plenty to do in it. The problem was most of it was the same things to do, and what wasn't was incredibly spread out.

Yiff in hell freak

I wouldn't of minded weapon durability if it was reasonable and didn't break in five hits.

I agree with you user. BotW had plenty of flaws, but the blatant despise it gets here is more akin to the native sense of smug contrarianism.

If anything, I think Nintendo risked a lot experimenting with Zelda's formula for BotW, and they have a lot they can do to refine the new formula for the next one.

you know a game I think did weapon durability well? fallout new vegas. in that game it takes a while for a weapon to break and when it does it goes back into your inventory and you cant use it. You can still fix it or put it away somewhere safe if you want to.
in BotW you cant even pick up the pieces.

All they needed in BOTW was to make weapons have a durability meter with reasonable degradation speed and the ability to fix them at a blacksmith.

BotW worked better than anything put by ubisoft and cpr.

Oh yeah it's infuriating when you're halfway up a giant cliff and it starts raining.

There is no definition for a Zelda game except what you arbitrarily impose on the series. There is no single person/director in control. Each game is its own so if one does something different it's still as much a Zelda game as any of them.

Interesting choice of words. This is why the industry is so creatively bankrupt. When something comes out that slightly veers off course to what came before it, everyone shits their pants and starts crying.

So how does this deflect from any of the criticism?

That's a strawman, friend.

Half the complaints in botw threads are crying that weapons breaking makes the game too hard and that the overworld has nothing to do in it, neither of which are true.

Here, have an edit.

The weapons breaking so often ruins the flow of the game but as for the making the game too hard that's a load of bull.
The world is empty and there isn't much to do at all.

post zelda butthole

Hoo boy if thats the case then I can't wait to pirate the next zelda game! Botw was fun but mediocre, I can't wait to see what they'll do next.
I hope they dont fuck it up somehow.

The issue is that BotW intentionally makes the weapons throwaway, because you can literally throw them as a gameplay mechanic. You can't repair them, because you're not supposed to get attached to any of them. They tried to design it like a survival game, where you're constantly scavenging for stuff to make sure you live. But it just doesn't work, at least the way they did it. Enemy difficulty is mostly changed by how much damage they do and how much health they have, meaning you need to find better weapons to effectively deal with them, which goes against the whole "constantly scavenging weapons from enemies and chests just to survive" design. The bloated enemy hp is especially bad, because that means each enemy takes that much more weapon durability to kill. Then you have the fact that the game keeps throwing so many weapons at you that you'll almost never have excess inventory space. It's not like this is a problem they weren't aware of, either, because you can upgrade your inventory capacity to help mitigate that problem. But, when you're finding so many weapons that you need to buy extra inventory slots, you don't really feel like you're scrounging up whatever you can find to survive with. BotW is designed contradictory with itself, at least when it comes to the weapons. I don't get why they couldn't do, with weapons, what they did with armor. Just have a finite amount of different weapons to find out in the world, and then have the optional ability to upgrade them. That would have solved so many problems with the game, but, then, I guess you couldn't do things like throw metal weapons at enemies to lure in lightning, like that's an incredibly important feature to keep in.

Why is it that Zelda was designed for an ass man this time around? Most of the fan art of BotW Zelda is ass-centric.

Lets be fair, Zelda was never really designed for ass men or tit men, before, and, while her curves have always been nice, they've been fairly modest and mostly hidden by her dresses. They just gave her more form-fitting clothing, this time around, like pants. It's possible every Zelda has had a similar butt, we just couldn't see it. The only exception is Sheik, but that was Zelda using magic to disguise as a man, so we can't really use that as concrete evidence of her body shape.

more attractive girls

Whatever happened with that Zelda mod, anyway? The guy posted a video saying it was nearly done, and then has done nothing but make meme mods, since.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that

mediocre waifu material tbh, very overrated

He is doing shit still?

There's a difference between building on mechanics/introducing new gameplay concepts in a sequel and making a game fundamentally different than its predecessors in order to appeal to a completely different crowd

no wonder, 8ch is full of a bunch of faggots who love weeb visual novels more than anything else
its ok to shit on botw but its flaws weren't "it was different from a link to the past'
thank god nintendo broke past the tired fucking mechanic of 8 dungeons and tried something new, ya sure they failed in many places, but at least I didn't need to play another fucking version of twilight princess

Fuckin newniggers get out

I did some research, and, apparently, he's not working on the Zelda mod anymore, though the rest of the team is. The last thing he seems to have worked on is a Wander mod, which was released a little less than a month ago. I also found out someone recently released a Linkle mod, so that's neat.
gamebanana.com/skins/160828

I'd be fine with all this shit if they allowed small, comfy Zeldos to live, and I highly doubt they will, aside from farming out shit spinoffs to Grezzo. I just want something like Link's Awakening again, and it's not gonna happen.

You off meds?

They also did this Chosen undead mod

Unless the switch completely supersedes any smaller kind of portable console, like the 3ds, they'll keep making the smaller games. ALBW was pretty successful, after all.

There's also a neat Rathalos armor mod. I only wish these mods added the armors as new items, like dlc, instead of just replacing the models of existing armor. I guess the tools to easily do that just haven't been created, yet.

The mods actually make BOTW into the game it should of been, I wonder if they'll do a mod that changes the durability or revamps the game entirely.

We've had this thread a few dozen times already.

I know there's mods that do things like make everything have infinite durability and give the bike infinite fuel, but I think that's mostly it, so far.

Okay, I had a rather bizarre idea for a new way for weapon durability to work. TIME. Each weapon has a timer for long it can be used unsheathed like say 10 hours real time for a basic weapon or a really powerful one could be 1 hour. It could be possible to add more "time" to the weapon if you actually got attached to it.
I will admit that "time" as a weapon mechanic might only be good for a game based around time gimmick itself like Majora Mask though.

The way I'd fix it is by having a set amount unique weapons, like the champion weapons, that you always have, once found, and can be repaired. Then the enemy weapons you can pick up are limited in the amount you can have at once and can't be repaired. That way, it's like Wind Waker, where you have the option to use enemy weapons, say they do more damage or all your normal weapons are broken, but you also have a set of primary weaponry to regularly use.

We're probably not going to get anything too interesting when the guy directing BotW was proud that he wrote the game's story in a few weeks, and Aonuma being sick to death of Zelda to the point where he's trying to reinvent the wheel.

I actually want to see if Grezzo could handle their own game. I don't care if it's 2D or 3D as long as it's not another game that uses the Wind Waker art style for no reason.

but this is how botw works

If it worked like the master sword or that it had someone or a way to repair weapons would have greatly helped. Also, at least lasting longer than 5 hits. Not every enemy is made of a hard metal where a weapon could possibly break quicker with repeated attacks.

Except it isn't. The only persistent weapon you have it the master sword, and it has very limited use. You can get replacements for the champions' weapons, sure, but they take up your limited inventory space, there's no way to repair them before they break, and they also have very limited durability. I'm talking unique weapons that last much longer than anything in botw, stay with you after they break, and can be repaired mid-use.

WW is just as linear as OoT, if not more so.

You really think Ganon would do such things?

At least one miniboss
Combat deeper than oot
More enemy variety than the CD-i games
More than three melee weapons
No stamina bar
Less story
More ranged weapons
No weapon or shield breaking at all
At least one single reward that isn't shit
No clothing stats
No drowning in Zora clothes
20 heart max
No food
Mirror/dark/future version of the world
Bombs as an item
No flurries

But it already is.

Jesus Christ people, rain was a pain a few times, but as long as you had an idea of what to do you were fine. I also didn't have a problem with weapon breakage, as finding weapons was easy. If they had let the Champion weapons or hell, even the master sword, not break it would have cut out a whole entire mechanic of gameplay.

That isn't to say certain things couldn't have been done better. I think night should have been darker and more dangerous, make it so that beyond 3 feet maybe you'd need a torch to see, have your enemies capable of seeing better in the dark and using it to their advantage to sneak up on you. A step or two below the lizard's dungeon 1st part would have been great. Dungeons could have been bigger and more in quantity but I did like the feeling that there was a freedom in how you got around. Honestly wasn't sure if I was meant to get to where I was half the time when I'd glide around them, but I think that extra bit of exploration was refreshing. But that's just me

I'm happy for you, but this isn't about how good the player is, it's about how bad the game is.

The problem with rain is that it makes most climbing an absolute chore, and there's no way to mitigate that. If you could get extra grip gloves, or some kind of climbing tools, or anything to help prevent you from slipping, it wouldn't be so bad. But, whenever it rains, you either have to deal with randomly slipping downward 70% of the time, or you have to completely stop climbing and wait for the rain to pass.

No one complains about weapon breakage because they were always out of weapons. Everyone knows the game hands them out like candy. The problem with weapon breakage is that it's annoying, and higher-tier enemies have bloated hp values that make you waste a bunch of durability on them. It's not all that exciting to find a new, strong weapon when you know it's not going to last long. You either end up with elixir syndrome, or you possibly waste the weapon on low-tier enemies.

Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing when the entire mechanic isn't that good to begin with.

Back on topic, most of the complaints I heard on the fighting was that the combat was too simple. I personally thought the same, but that means two things, make the enemies more spongy (a bad choice or make them smarter. I think increasing enemy variety while making later enemies smarter (and a bit stronger) is the better choice, personally. Let the bog standard enemies have their panic, engaging, intimidating abilities and have the later enemies be more resistant or occasionally flat out immune.

So it's my fault that I can't find a resting spot while climbing a flat cliff side and for not wasting all my stamina items because Link loses so much fucking stamina while climbing in the rain.

WW is easily more linear, OOT at least lets you do dungeons out of order

I think to improve Breath of the Wild's sequel you'll have to reverse the "wild" aspects.

Weapons are shit in BotW because there are no blacksmiths. Weapons still "dull" but with blacksmiths weapons now can be repaired, upgraded or customized. Same with armor but with tailors.

Food is simple meals that restore hearts and maybe add a temp effect. With an artisan chef food can only be eaten once per day but their effects are more potent that last all day. Potions can replace food for healing and temp effects.

Variety of range weapons would be fine if they introduced magic seeds again. Or maybe add more bullet types for slings. Also add crossbows if not for distance sniping with scope, but for instant shot after loading. Crossbows have to be loaded before each shot but they stay loaded.

Also if the game ends up having an abundance of rupees then make rupees mana for magic. I love to see Zelda II's spellbook return.

If there is ONE gimmick I have to add: Rope. You can tie rope to arrows and shoot them to make zip lines. You can lasso a bokoblin or octorock while riding a horse and drag them around. You can tie rope to a heavy thing and thow the other end over a tree branch to use as a pulley to lift heavy thing. You can even tie rope to yourself as a lifeline when you're hanging off of a dragon's back. Chains can be interchanged with rope, but are heavier and metal. Plus hookshots can use either rope or chain as a line in case you want to cut the line.

What button do you normally press to stab with the sword

Yeah, I keep forgetting you can't actually do the wind temple and earth temple in any order you want. It arbitrarily restricts that, for some reason.

Just go take a piss. Just STOP PLAYING THE GAME and it'll get sunny out. Realism is a hoax

You were at least jumping up the cliff, right?

Yes.

I enjoyed BotW despite its shortcomings. Hopefully Nintendo keep going in the direction of BotW. Though I hope a Switch emulator is stable enough by the time of the next Zelda.

Doesn't that guarantee you'll slip right after the jump?

If you want to make a point, make it, instead of being a smartass and trying to bait out a certain response.

Please don't lewd the princess. It will make her cry.

Please, BotW Zelda probably browsed 10,000 year old archives of Shiekah smut when she had the tablet. She would understand.

It does but the tradeoff is an assured increase from just attempting to climb up and slip from the loss of stamina

Nice

Her british accent was easily the biggest fuckup the made on her
Britbong accents are trash

I'm pretty sure you slip nearly as far as the jump takes you up, though. It only really works when you don't have to climb much distance. Otherwise, not jumping at all will generally get you more progress than jumping all the time. It's slow and tedious, either way.

Also if you reload a area that's not being forcerained upon by a beast, and often the reloaded game's weather will be completely different
I guess the saves dont keep track of weather

Actually I think you're right, I think what I might have done was throw on the climbing gear set while I I did it, but it has been a long time since I last played it as well.

That's pretty neat

wasn't the 3ds link to the past sequel open world or something

After avoiding discussion about it, I got BOTW recently. I'm enjoying it a lot, but in many ways, it doesn't feel like a Zelda game. My main gripe with it is the temples and "dungeons". While they all vary in content, and some of the puzzles can be challenging, they all have the same feel. Everything has the same "ancient Sheikah bullshit" skin, even the divine beasts. The exposition of this ancient race with all these gizmos hanging about is very convenient for what this game is trying to achieve, but unfortunately it just isn't very interesting. I haven't finished all the beasts, but if Ganon comes right after that, I'll be disappointed. Really the lack of big and thematically interesting dungeons is the game's biggest flaw. I don't even mind the weapon breaking/scavenging that much in comparison. I agree with all of OP's suggestions though. The exploration in this game is its strongest quality. The world is delightful to take in, and despite hearing complaints about the game feeling empty, I think it has a lot, and could have a lot more. It certainly feels more alive and genuine than Skyrim, especially regarding NPC's and wildlife. The charming NPC's and villages makes it all the more disappointing that you progress in this game through solving Sheikah puzzles, and not through interesting quests (not fetch quests), which would have served as a more interesting device for exposition than A LONG LONG TIME THERE WAS A yadda yadda. Unfortunately, it's hard to see whether they'll make the effort to make a better version of this game instead of going back to the original formula with a new story.

Says you faggot.

Nah you just have to get the timing down. Climb until you think you're about to slip and then jump, repeat. You can get pretty far with this method if you have a decent amount of stamina.

it was called asscreed 2

What I find funny is how this thread appears after the direct.

I made the thread before.

Now you know how I felt when Link to the Past came out and it was shit and ruined everything good the first Zelda had going for it, but proceeded to influence the entire rest of the series anyway. BotW isn't great but it's a step in the right direction. All the mechanics are in place, they just need to remove stupid shit like breaking weapons and put all those good shrine puzzles in an actual dungeon, and make one of the divine beasts an actual dungeon. Basically just give me a remake of the first game.

Just make Majora's Mask with a large world and dungeons that can be done out of order. The biggest problem with Breath of the Wild was that you saw almost everything the first 30 minutes outside of the tutorial, repeat shrines, and the fact that you couldn't upgrade or somehow alter the few things you had. Having a large world is pointless if that world is devoid of things happening in it, it's just padding the travel time at that point.

Expand on magic as a means of combat. I want to become the archmage of Hyrule.

yeah its boring as hell and your weapons are useless because they break all the time and there is no way to repair it, so there is no point in collecting rare weapons that last as long as a stick.

If you say so.

yes in fact nintendo needs to stop producing consoles because no one wants their peice of shit and just release games.

The only thing wrong with BotW was its lack of actual fucking dungeons

1.) Give us dungeons with variety like the old Zeldas.

There, BotW is fixed. No, it's not "flawless" because there will always be autists complaining about open world games while crongeworthingly fuck you yes it is an actual word missing the point.

BotWs lack of enemy variety is made up for with the diversity of its wild life in my opinion. BotW tried making the usual "collectathon" aspect of open worlds actually fun. Wither or not they succeeded us up for debate but I personally think they did a damn good job because it forces you to explore. They prevent exploration from getting stagnant by putting various conditions on the exploration aspect (if it's raining and you need to climb, then wait it out or sleep. If its cold, you need warm clothes.etc. If you need to fight enemies keep track of weapon durability.etc) This made exploration fun, because it made it less "Mindless trek from point A to point B" and more of an actual experience

open world is a bad meme.
name one game that had an open world that didn't come at the cost of some other aspect.

What? You don't "collect" weapons in botw.

Jesus what a sperg.

No it isn't user, you stupid cunt.

GTA.

gta being gta comes at the cost of all aspects, driving and gunplay were garbage in every game except IV

It would be a good thing for Nintendo, they would finally make games, not something that relies on a gimmick.

He's right though

Yeeaaah no

the driving is subjective but it follows basic sim racer rules, driving requires skill and vehicles feel extremely different based on their class unlike any other gta, especially V

Yeah the weapon breaking was the bit I hated most about the game. It was so poorly done, it would have been ok if you could actually see how much "life" a weapon had, besides that shitty message that comes up anywhere between 5-10 hits.
And being unable to repair weapons just made me want to not use any good weapons because once they are gone they are gone.
They could have had a system similar to the master sword where it runs out of energy and then you wait for it to back to full power. For a regular weapon it could go blunt and I'm this state do a smaller amount of damage until it is repaired.
For now though I just use the BotW editor on cemu and give all the weapons really high durability.

The only thing that 4 got better than 5 was adding weight to their cars, the driving is still shit. You'll still spin out of control if you go above 50/mph and under that you're driving a boat. The only reason why it seems better in comparison is because 5 threw weight out the window and you might as well go flying at anything above 10. GTA has never had -good- driving.

i have no idea what you're talking about, only muscle cars can ever spin out of control and that's if you don't understand the concept of counter-steering, cars also never feel like boats if you learn to use the brakes in my opinion

from all the claims thrown around this is the stupidest of them all, this game has 200+ tracks and only a handful are unremarkable.

You are a fucking idiot.

And they play for 10% of the game. It has great music, but most people don't remember it, because most of the game is played in the silence of the wilderness, occasionally with one of a few enemy fight themes.

i have fapped so many times to that one, god damn.

Don't start this shit again

Oxymorons are always gay.

Traps aren't gay you faggots.

Why do you lie to yourself?

That's not what jesus said.

wew

and women don't have dicks, checkmate

I was already jerking off before I scrolled down and saw the dick.

A man having sex with another man is gay even if the one of the men look's like a woman. Period.

Normalfags did not even know the Wii U existed.

Well shit, I guess they were thirsty for a nintendo console game more than anything else.

Zelda is not even like a super popular normalfag game, it's more of a trendy retro hipster game supposedly liked by people who don't even know what the older games are if they even played them for 5 minutes. Sure they have a big presence on the internet but it's not the AAA shit normies eat up.

Which is the biggest demographic for the nintendo switch.

not an argument faggot

Maybe make the weapons weaker if they're not occasionally maintained, but BOTW took it too far.

Faggot, people have been fapping over the naked fish loli since the N64.

ALRIGHT! We're going to break this down, ONCE and for all:

Wanting to fuck a trap not knowing it has a dick = not gay

Wanting to fuck a trap knowing it has a dick = gay

BUT in the latter case, you're probably bi. Most fags aren't all that into traps/fembois, since they like their men… well, manly.

You may not be gay but you sure are a faggot

Nigger, I didn't come up with the meme spelling.

Traps are 100% gay, this is an undisputed fact.

Ironically, the guys who are into them usually swing both ways. This is something they have in common with furfags.

And yet you choose type it that way even though it's gay as fuck.

oh boy,a trap that doesn't even look happy,how erotic.

This is the best Zelda yet

He usually has a different look on his face.

Is this a series that ends in love.

Kaname's just tsundere, aka the best dere.

Yes.

I prefer the Hyrule Warriors Zelda.

Not even. It's all just niptoon girls with cocks slapped on, unless you're into 3D, in which case you are not only gay but you definitely have AIDS and the worst taste in men imaginable. It's the yaoi and shota fags who are a two lane road.

Kaname doesn't really look like a girl with a dick attached though.

Probably not. Kaname is pretty fucked in the head.

But that's wrong. Have you ever seen yaoi? That's how the nips draw feminine gay men.

Probably going to end up killing himself tbh.

Yeah, and most of the ones into that are bi.

Stop posting homosexual pornography. Then, kill yourself.

2D Traps are not gay until the dick is revealed. You can easily remove the dick and replace it with a vagine, and it would look 100% normal. Trap porn is shit because it promotes mental illness by portraying gay crosdressers exactly like women.

Or, I could just keep posting more.

It's an evolutionary quirk.

No it isn't. Bisexuality is, but this is as unnatural as homosexuality. A man is a man and a woman a woman. One can not resemble another exactly, or even half-resemble the other. Commit suicide and you will be released from these realities of biology.

No he got a happy ending.
Anyway enough traps and more Zelda before the thread completely derails.

Kid, open a history book. There have been fags and bisexuals since men started writing the shit that was going on down. It can get WAY out of hand, but it's a quirk in our species that's never going to go away.

I know that. Bisexuality is perfectly natural, homosexuality is perfectly unnatural. But this shit is fucking disgusting. It promotes transexualism, which is a mental illness.

That isn't the ending. That's just the ending to one of the issues. I think there have been three more since.

His digits beat yours.

You got a off by one, so his opinion is now worse

Then he still got dubs.

And his opinion is still shit, and you're still a fag enabler

I'd rather be a fag than autistic.

Confusion of the highest order.

If you weren't autistic, you wouldn't be here, so it's a moot point

I mean the bad kind of autism.

Agreed.

Selling it as a mobile game ala pokemon Go would motivate all the cucks to spend untold millions on it, how to send a suggestion to niggertendo?

Nintendo is going to go in a more and more mobile-centric business model. I suspect the Switch is just a stepping stone to that.

Nah, that falls to HW Zelda. She didn't fail her kingdom, she can fight, and she didn't almost get her Link killed. He did that to himself.

This board gets more worse everyday.

The only way this hentai fag shit would be even remotely passable is if the universe physically converts the trap into a real woman from repeated dickings

Real shit?

Attached: das it mane.gif (234x249, 269.07K)

No user. The nips draw them exactly like women. That's where the issue comes from: it promotes this idea that men and women have any possibility of resembling each other. Trap porn is the most damaging form of porn. I'd rather have Bara, because Bara isn't disingenuous.

(checked)
no, randomly generated shit is garbage game design and just another reason why the "Open world sucks" meme is generally substantive. Algorithmic and procedurally generated game design is cancer.
yes
yes
I actually did not mind the durability from a design perspective. But a few more items that were not tied to durability or more rare items that could be repaired or repaired themselves on a cooldown would be welcomed.
trash

Attached: 9267813008_218e55dc27_b.jpg (866x1024, 889.69K)

If you were expecting better from a Zelda thread post-BOTW I have bad news for you

Attached: 75b3f5865339188b4745aa509e538a1fa8f66ff8ee1d4dc2048e6d958f3e2d8f.jpg (650x466, 100.4K)

could, but it didn't in BOTW.

(checke)

Attached: 945.jpg (1500x884, 200.63K)

Looks completely like a skinny girl. Doesn't even have broad shoulders.

We really need a /faghate/ board. Holla Forums is too deep in the Log Cabin, and the cabin must be set on fire.

Any fucking game could work with an open world. The problem is that most games don't because they'd be better off in an instanced world.

Attached: 183777931953465.gif (498x364, 5.92M)

Okay that doesn't contradict what he stated though. The only visual signs that character is a male in that picture is he's wearing male clothes, has no breasts, and maybe his skinny hips, although the clothes do hide his body silhouette. He doesn't have an adams apple, (although to be fair this is rarely drawn except on masculine men in anime in the first place) his shoulders aren't really broad, and very clearly a girl's face.

this is genreally true, but I still think thereticly open world can work. Its just a matter of resource and time management. Which granted infinite resources and infinite time it still would be more deliberate and efficent to design in a per instance world. That said, I still think some of the exploration provided by "Open World" is esental in certain genres. Games like Metriod and Zelda 1 compared to there more dibleratly on-rails counterparts is an example of where develpers could learn from the "open world" meme. Its just where "Open World" becomes synonymous with procedurally generated and copy pasted content where it really shows its failures. Particularly when the game map is so large for any one designer to actually provide uniformed artistic vistion, design deliberateness and quality assurance. BoTW does most these things better then the competitors but it also sufferes for the same issues.

I just really dislike derailing the thread further. We need a /faghate/ board where we can discuss stuff of this nature.

OOT wasn't open world?

Open worlds work in games where there is an incentive to explore. This can be anything ranging from resources ("If I can find some gold ore I can upgrade my sword") to objectives ("I wonder what's in that cave on top of that mountain") to simple wanderlust ("I want to see what the devs put over here").

A game where the open world serves as nothing more than a painfully long trek between quests and dungeons is a failure of a world. Even a bad game can make good use of an open world, which is how games like Fallout 3 and Skyrim manage to thrive.

the only solution is to have a zero tolerace policy for faggotry. Having a /faghate/ board would only enable faggot to shit up the threads more by prohibiting community driven self moderating. Containing boards should be made for containing cancer and all fetishes being not vidya, should have their own designated shitting streets. Free speech sure, you are free to poo but if you poo here you poo in the loo. Its just a mater of preserving "Holla Forums is Holla Forums with video games" customs established by Mark.

Attached: 1441234241655.png (792x792, 1010.89K)

OoT was instanced with an overworld, which isn't the same as a truly open world. In OoT you don't explore the world map, you just go from area to area while using the overworld as a hub of sorts.

At least Link being a cuck is now canon.

Attached: 1f35df26ad2b1da4fae98cd901f18cdc3487ff5f10cc8ed953e32d683910530b.jpeg (960x800, 124.3K)

There's also the fact that most anons don't like posting on slower boards so having a /faghate/ board would be pointless.

I fucking love the silence. I fucking love the “out in the world” music. My only complaint with it is the number of tracks. We needed at least 10 more of them, and we needed them to play in a RANDOM ORDER. The same track is ALWAYS the first to play when you leave a city or whatever. It would be nice to hear situational tracks, too. Day, night, day rain, night rain, day storm, night storm, day snow, night snow, and then tracks for the “wilds” of specific parts of the world.

I prefer my women in dresses rather than pants. Pants are my lowest preference for female clothing. I’d rather they wear a biohazard suit than pants.

I’m pretty sure you’re a cocksucking shill.

All boards are fag hate boards. Faggotry and its derivatives cannot be accepted, in any capacity, anywhere. We have to fight it everywhere it is seen. They (meaning the jews who pull the strings) operate through attrition. Wear down the enemy so that they just stop fighting for their beliefs, then horn in on territory. Zero tolerance. Constant vigilance. That’s the only way that civilization works.

They had a thread honoring that one faggot who died in a car crash.

Yes, and no? As in "Yes" anything is worth exploring if the incentives are right and incentives are important to all game design. But "No" as in often the mechanics developers resort to utilizing make are often shallow. I am thinking more in terms of Older games that where "open" word but the limitation of your characters strength gated your progress but the insentives where driven by the fact that their was a dungeon that you needed to compleat. These maps where not inerhently huge but the progress was not heavly gated by scripted events. If developers where to find a happy balance between the two world it would be very nice. Dark Souls 1 is an example of a more contemporary game that does "Open world" better in the context in which I am describing.

yep, its one of the core issues with the consept of infinate chan in the first place and is the source of boards being shit up. For example copeating OB's promote demoralization in hopes to drive people off the popular board to drive traphic to enchan honeypot.

you better belive it faggot
>>>/ovens/

Meaning Holla Forums? The thread that was created by a paid shill and kept in place by the paid shill mods which was endlessly trashed by actual Holla Forumsacks, you mean? That one? No, we don’t support faggots.

Now this is what I call bait.

Attached: cem baits.jpg (619x274, 36.3K)

make

Of course it can. It's Zelda after all. And to be honest, the Zelda IP can practically make Anything good.

nigger that is the exact opposite of what is actually going on.
>>>/freech/

Attached: f44e62979333e72503ace5c781bf75abc1b93f139b27fa140e70da8f1d71924d.png (512x347, 23.59K)

The durability system should be a little longer than expected. It needed to last more longer in order to use them more in a couple of more battles, not to fucking waste them quickly nor instantly. The system does not provide the neccesity to save those weapons that you like to use for another time to fight stronger enemies in the world. It just make some players frustated they need to waste them like mad men, it doesn't really encourage them to be resourceful by a margin.

The only thing that it didn't became a huge issue (at least in my experience) is that the playet needed to expanded your inventory with lots of space, in which it wasn't that much of a problem now that the player can save lots of weapons.

*expand their inventory

It wasn't designed to save weapons because it forces you to use everything at your disposal. If you want to save stronger weapons then don't use them on weak enemies. Get a bigger weapon inventory and stock up the on good weapons and use your weakest one first. Also, sneak attacks don't drain durability. You do realize weapon drops also get progressively better later in the game and the durability of latter weapons also improve significantly. It's like a hidden leveling up system. Sure more powerful enemies appear but so do the drop rates on the best weapons. By the end of the game, I had dozens of Royal Broadswords and when swapping between the Master Sword I often didn't have enough room in my maxed out inventory for more weapons. While I don't mind the idea of more reparable gear, I didn't have any issues with the durability and I tend to often hate poorly implemented durability (see DkS2).

Attached: 9267822164_79df40783a_b.jpg (1024x705, 676.15K)

BotW's durability isn't hard, or exciting, or interesting. It's just annoying. No weapon feels like a significant discovery when they all break after killing five or so enemies. It doesn't feel like a struggle to use what you can find when the game throws weapons, by the dozen, at you. It's not exciting to use a new weapon when it's exactly like an old one, just with higher stats. Weapons should have been treated exactly like armor. There should have been a smaller amount of them, each with their own unique effects and/or abilities. What would have been lost? Being able to throw weapons? That's almost pointless, anyway.
Yes, because it's fun to try to kill every enemy in the exact same, tedious way.
Which means the weapon progression system is just as terrible as Oblivion's; it's fake progression. Sure, you're getting better gear, but the enemies are getting better alongside it. And stronger enemies means more health, which means they take more hits to kill, which means your weapons with higher durability are doing the same relative damage in their lifetime.

This

Zelda 1 was already open world.

Except you need a diamond and a specific weapon to craft it. Granted you can find it around the area where you make another one usually, but still, it's annoying.

Repairing a weapons shouldn't need rare materials, you add weapon durability to give a single reason out of many to get attached to towns.

It is?

dude, if you read the comment chain you would realize that what you are saying right now is a bit unwarranted. I stated "But a few more items that were not tied to durability or more rare items that could be repaired or repaired themselves on a cooldown would be welcomed." However general idea of durability is not a big deal and you are literally just whining like a bitch over a non-issue that you yourself try and state is a none issue because "the game throws weapons, by the dozen"

no user, Oblivions "Leveled Creatures" system was an issue for many reasons but not on account that it's entirely a bad idea in an open world environment. Your response, unfortunately, is nothing but histrionics.

Attached: 1173168974427.jpg (600x511, 103.2K)

yes. Open world just means most of the areas are not gated and there are little or no load times. It doesn't necessarily mean a gigantic map. While I agree open world design is often cancer, the "Open World" in terms of concept has a lot of untapped potential because too many developers are coping Ubisoft.

sage for double post

Except it's not a non-issue, because it adds pointless tedium to the game, contributes to BotW's already existing problem of most discoveries feeling insignificant, and is lost potential. It's an annoyance that adds nothing to the game besides busy-work.

user you realize that is only a figment of your imagination right. The discoveries were designed around Aesthetics and experiential not about the gimmick sword. You are literally thinking like a Ubisoft developer thinking that everything needs to be handled with strict skinner box operant conditioning. Finding the solution to the Puzzle, discovering the Dragon on the mountain was the incentive to explore. Let me guess you spent 90+h in the game and 100%'d it. I guess you really had no incentives to wast all that time. The issues are that as those High Points diminished the reward naturally diminished but the habit was consistently reinforced so you walked away jonesing for more and so you looked for a reason to explain this drug attic unsatiated discomfort so you blamed the lack of long-term meaningful weapon rewards?

The problem is not about using strong enemies over weak ones, its trying not to use the strong ones so that you can use them for powerful enemies. Just that I did not want to waste a strong Royal Longsword to fight against a Lynel but instead I have to fight some fucking Bokoblins with it because the other ones have been wasted.

And when it comes to "increasing durability", do you realize that not all weapons don't get any durability increase? They sometimes get some long-throws and doesn't have some large use for some players or sometimes a damage bonus.

Attached: ConsiderthefollowingSimpsons.jpg (569x428, 23.5K)

*Using strong weapons over weak enemies

Are you really resorting to making up shit to defend the failure of an experiment that is BotW? The point of exploration is to have things that are meaningful to find. That is why games like Super Metroid work, because each item you find, each secret you discover, every puzzle you solve leads to something significant. It's the same reason previous Zelda games worked. And this is what BotW majorly lacks. Every shrine looks the same, has a small puzzle or two built out of similar pieces, and gives you a quarter of a stat upgrade. Each korok is a minor variation of a few different challenges, is just a piece of an inventory expansion, and each piece is smaller with the more you find. Every weapon is temporary. Most side quests lead to either a shrine, that you've found dozens of, or some temporary, piecemeal reward. Aside from the camera, you never get a new, useful ability like the dungeons of old would give you, after the tutorial. The closest you get are the outfits, and, even then, you have to collect the entire set and upgrade each piece twice, by tediously collecting ingredients like you're playing some shitty survival game, before you get anything special from them. There's very few actual surprises to the game. When one does appear, it just ends with something you've seen before. Just like every story needs a good conclusion, every journey needs a good destination, and BotW is sorely lacking in good destinations. The journeys don't make up for it, either.

What kind of buzzwords are those? How can you say its about aesthetics, when the major driving discoveries, the shrines, all look the same? "Experiential" is a subjective weasel word meant to excuse a lack of good, thought-out game design, and the experience of BotW is largely bland and repetitive past the initial tutorial. Skyrim was designed to be "experiential", and it's shit for it. How can you even seriously claim my criticism is a "figment of my imagination", then proceed to claim the point of BotW is something that very much relies on being a figment of imagination?

Honestly, if they went with Just Cause gameplay using the hookshot and glider, that'd be great.

There's a sidequest where you help a Hylian adult man hook up with a female Zora child. I'm surprised it didn't cause much controversy.

Actually I remembered the real problem with open world games, crashes for no real fucking reason. Like, I get it, they can't catch all them in an open world, because they're triggered by random bullshit for no reason. But you'd think on console they'd at least be fairly consistent. I can't get in/out of the area with the giant horse (I tried going in from both sides and the area transition seems to be what's causing the crash) or go down to that temple with all the guardians in that one valley (although I've only tried landing on the back). Both of them are entirely different freezes, one where it stutters on a frame and therefore makes a noise, the other where it just infinitely loads or saves or some shit (which could theoretically be fixed by going in from the front, depending on how the game works). Basically I'm angry about this game I didn't pay for and installed in an unofficial way not working on my console.

they are not buzzwords. The Reward was finding the beautiful hidden location or solving a fun puzzle. Therefore "Aesthetics and experiential". Haven't you ever gone hiking in real life? Don't you appreciate the rewarding feeling of the spirit of adventure? If there where too many beautiful interesting location then those cool experiences would be devalued. For example, I personally genuinely enjoyed the puzzles the reward was essentially the Shine in and of itself. The reasoning you are trying to justify is the same kind of shallow thinking that places most trashy Ubisoft and Bethesda games. It was in breaking with that line of reasoning BoTW was in a sense able to transcend a few of the trappings of "open world".

plagues*

If they're going to make open-world zeldos a recurring thing, they ought to make a 'second quest' mode where you play a character with significantly different equips and playstyle.

Something like Skyrim, for all its various and varied faults, at least gives you the option of playing as a different race, honing a a different mix of skills, joining different factions, etc to significantly changes a second playthrough. BOTW couldn't be arsed to do that.

Up until now, Nintendo always had at least one console and one handheld supported at any one time. With the Zelda series, that meant you could have a 3D Zelda on console, and then on the handheld, a Zelda that played more like the classics. With the Switch, there is no other platform, so I have to wonder if Ninty has any interest in catering to classic Zelda. I'd like to see them alternating to give their Zelda team(s) a break, and their customers a break so this series doesn't get fatigue from chasing a trend that has burnt the fuck out outside of this company.

I agree with this.

but don't you think that would lead to feature creep and actually detract from the intentionality of the design thus paradoxically falling into the same trapping of other "open world" games? If anything, I would suggest they actually scale back the scope and make it more focused and a bit less open world overall.

yes, but did you read what he was responding too? Do you really think meaningless "loot" would actually solve the issue? Nobody is disagreeing on the necessity of incentives its just the carrot stick design philosophy is what every other open world does and why every other one fails. The meaningless gear in Skyrim is a perfect example of this type of trashy and shallow game design.

Attached: Zelda-Katsuya-Terada-28.jpg (1024x828, 698.61K)

You seem to be forgetting that this is a game, not an "interactive experience."

I was never asking for meaningless loot. If you actually read what I said, my major problem with BotW is that most of the rewards are already meaningless. Being able to see some pretty place is hardly a reward when that's just something that you can do in any other game. Shadow of the Colossus gives you big, exciting colossus fights to reward your ability to explore, and the whole map is full of pretty places to find. Again, puzzle solving is hardly something unique to BotW, and its puzzles are hardly special. Previous Zelda games gave you dungeons full of puzzles, and each dungeon also gave you a new ability that it then used for even more puzzles.
Exactly like the weapons in BotW.

I've said this every time OP makes a thread about this retarded idea. Remove climbing anywhere and fuck Gliding entirely. Both are shitty mechanics that make traversal and exploration a fucking joke. Movement and advancement in Zelda games have been moving away from difficult and engaging to a fucking joke.

I for one enjoyed Breath of the Wild immensely, and found the stripped down bareboje nature of the game comfy. The only real gripe I had was you couldn't make your own dungeons using the assets from the shrines with time trials, and the enemy variety sucked. I felt there was enough to do and see in each area of the map that exploring still felt rewarding enough on its own. It was a golden first try at making a truly "open" zelda and I hope the series gets at least 2 more whacks at that style of game so they can polish it harder. it is my favorite 3d zelda

As an addition to this, I want to bring up an example of what I'm talking about. North of the Lost Woods is an island covered in thick, near impenetrable darkness. When you first go there, it's super interesting. You're wondering what secrets the island can hold, asking where the darkness came from, wondering why the ruins are there. Maybe there's a new piece of equipment related to the darkness. Maybe there's a spooky new monster lurking in the dark. Maybe you'll find a cool bit of lore. Then you follow a few arrows, fight a hinox, and find yet another shrine. And that's all there is to it. All the sense of mystery is hollow, because there is no mystery. It's just another tick mark off the long list of shrines to find. It's like they saw the catacombs in Dark Souls and decided what made people find it so interesting was the oppressing darkness and nothing else. Most of the game is like this. They created a bunch of interesting setups, only for them to end in total whimpers. What's at the end of this labyrinth? Oh, another shrine. Behind this big waterfall next to some huge ruins? Shrine. How about in this spot that looks like something took a giant bite out of a mountain? Shrine. What could this lynel in this huge colloseum prison be guarding? A few chests with scaled loot. What will happen once I save this enormous dragon? Shrine. BotW is teasing, the game.

I mean as long as you know the game is mediocre trash then I guess it doesn't matter. Dunno why you didn't just wait for the eventual emulator.

They should stop calling CEMU an emulator at this point, because emulators I can just drop in a rom/iso file and away I go

Do you realize that the reward is the spirit of adventure? That by trying to turn it into a thing you inherently undermine the truly rewarding elements.

What game?

You sound like the kind of guy who's happy exploring anything. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't expect everyone else to abide by your low, easy to meet standards for exploration. Not everyone is simply satisfied being able to run around a world. Some of us want things to find that are worth finding.

I WANT THE OPEN WORLD MEME TO FUCK OFF

wincuck detected, don't let me see your 40 iq around here again

Do you realize that not everybody share the same liking of exploring shit as much as you are? Some people really want something really exciting.

Breath of the Wild' greatest feature really is the exploration like finding the shrines and treasure or solving puzzles, but some of them are just ridiculous.

Lets take a look at the shrines for example. While they are fun to find them in the world, some of their puzzles are just ridiculously easy and quick to break that do not offer that much of a challenge, few of them don't give the player that much of a effort that really (i.e. Look at the Shrine "The Wind that Guides You"). There were also moments that some Shrines offered that "Blessing Shrines" that offered no puzzles that sometimes they were not neccesary and were expecting intricate puzzles. Few of them have repeated concepts that will be well… repetitive, but some shrines do have great puzzles like the ones from the Dueling Peaks. In the end, they are a mix bag.

Attached: Goofy.jpg (219x265, 14.17K)

Disease and death also exist and are not going away, should everyone be indifferent to disease and death just because "everyone dies"?

Attached: fact.jpg (324x271, 12.23K)

An open world is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded

Bisexuality is homosexuality with more vectors for disease you fucking retard, all manners of sexual perversion are as natural and harmless as life destroying mental illnesses.

Attached: 1468172868524.png (1280x720, 1.09M)

Strange how you keep putting words in peoples mouths. How many posts are you going to make about this in a row? I'd ask you why this topic has you so asspained but I think we all know why.

Funny, because that's how I would describe your mom

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1846x1212, 241.72K)

An open relationship is like a family with its gays unbanned and unguarded

Natural like death or natural like sneezing? since he favors bisexuality while claiming homosexuality is unnatural and abhorrent it's obvious he thinks bisexuality is somehow inconsequential and/or less destructive than homosexuality.

Did you know all manners of faggotry have a major overlap with mental defficiency and other types of brain damage.

Attached: 10659350_10205465893391816_6665772091605267698_n.jpg (226x248, 8.15K)

Attached: AJ_no_gays_allowed.png (480x311, 118.81K)

Do you realize that this is what Zelda has been fundamentally about since the first game?
Except their the same fucking thing. Imagine finding the same exact thing over and over again with decent variation on how to ind them. It's like solving a puzzle only to be rewarded with a bland rice patty or something.

Also the exploration is shit because the game is a fucking joke when it comes to actually traversing things. See that natural barrier of a mountain range? Just climb it lol. Who cares about impediments? See that large group of enemies? Just glide over them, simple. It's retarded how easy BoTW is to explore when the first game did it better. Movement around the world was dangerous and you often needed help with better items just to go to the furthest reaches of the map.

I already knew that since I played the first Zelda game (but didn't managed it to beat). What I am trying to say is not everyone is in for the exploration just for the sake of it, some people really want something unique and exciting when they explore the world. Most of the game's content is just filled with shrines that feel kind of repetitive and the crapton of Korok seeds.

Because I expected nothing and got my favorite 3d zelda

BOTW was okay, but there could have been a LOT of improvement, let's not kid ourselves here.

It was their first attempt at a completely open experience. Despite how lackluster it ultimately felt it is undeniably the best most fun 3d zelda in my opinion. They tried all kinds of new shit. It wasn't going to be perfect. But to me it is the first truly OPEN exploration game with actual mechanics that aided in traversing the world. You can actually climb that mountain, and the climbing itself behaved like a puzzle. Until you got enough stamina you either had to have the proper food buffs, or use the terrain to make the climbing easier.

The climbing in that game needs to be used in every fucking game that dares call itself "open" world. You consumed less stamina the shallower the cliff face. That shit alone puts 90% of the climbing in other games to shame.

Agreed on gliding. The hardest tower in the game, Akkala, can just be skipped entirely by gliding to the top of it from Death Mountain. Totally kills the challenge.

You do? I never noticed that.

Remove your life, you stupid motherfucking idiot.
I bet you wish more of your bones were broken.

*more attractive fairies

Attached: 1423966423865-2.jpg (800x714 1.07 MB, 135.37K)

That's pretty much what I said. There's no point in looking for things if all you're going to find is the same thing over and over again.

Like I said as long as you know the game is shit. Objectively the best 3D one is a toss up between OoT, MM or maybe even WW depending on who you ask. I mean fuck TP is my favorite Zelda but it's the 3rd worst in the franchise. BoTW being second and SS being first.

Eat shit faggot or provide an argument you retarded fucking oxygen thief. Both Climbing and Gliding make the game a fucking joke where the earlier games knew how to make traversal more engaging.

lol no. If anything it needs a nerf that makes it only work on certain surfaces and even then you shouldn't be able to do it for much to long. Like I said, the instant you remove barriers you remove structure to what often makes a map/over-world good. I would rather find a dedicated path to go around, over or up a mountain that was intended to be a well structured challenge than just implement a shallow mechanic with little to no thought put into it.

Did you reply to the wrong person? I'm arguing against the guy who's seemingly satisfied with just "exploring" something.

lol

I made an argument and specifically stated what made climbing an gliding shit. The fuck are you on about retard?

How is alttp any different from the original zelda, with the exception of it being more linear and having way more content?

You don't have to bomb every wall and burn every bush to find everything without a guide.

the guy that was arguing with the other one that loves the fuck out of exploring? Sorry.

*You were the guy

Come on you guys, don't fucking bitch and whine like a bunch of faggots from NeoGaf.

You do know we have ids, right?

Yeah, again my mistake.

Attached: Stunned.jpg (315x240, 13.87K)

Fuck off faggot

Not an argument.

And BTW, I didn't say anything about stopping an argument. I said enough of the "whinning" and "bitching". Learn the difference, idiot.

Continue bitching faggot.

Attached: thereisnoneedtobeupset.gif (325x203, 780.25K)

Keep posting

Right back at ya.

Zelda was always open world.
The "modern open world" is a meme.
Metroid was open world.
Zelda was open world.
Symphony of The Night was open world.
And they were way better than the shit popularized by GTA and Skyrim.

Join us….

Attached: Ash and the Dead_Mascot.png (616x328, 224.73K)

It would work if they included best girl.

Attached: 1447532039810.jpg (850x1136 415.52 KB, 172.87K)

From that list, only Zelda 1 classifies as open world.
Being unable to access areas due to needing an unlockable ability isn't true freedom of exploration, and that game mechanic establishes a fixed path for the player.
They are just an illusion, one really well made.

Have freedom to advance in a non-linear way? Open world.

Probably the only good character to ever come out of the Zelda franchise. Everything else in Zelda is just pure trash and they keep recycling it over and over and over again with zero fucking development or progress. When they killed off Midna at the end of TP I knew Nintendo would never commit to any kind of meaningful change for the franchise.

Side quests are half the reason zelda is such shit in the first place, not a single zelda game has had good side quests except majora's mask. If they were going to successfully make a good open world zelda they should have wasted less time on writing, modeling towns and villages and instead allocated that time to more interesting world design and dungeons. That's how the first zelda did it and that's why the first zelda is good and BOTW is ass.

Attached: 753a01c7ec030329e5df08f46ae0f66b03bcdb33d996fda4c2e694766f53b8c7.png (327x316, 24.3K)

At least use your brain before replying.
Ability C is on zone D, you need Ability B to access it.
Ability B is on zone C, you need Ability A to access it.
Ability A is on zone B, you can access it through zone A, the starting point.

Branching paths =/= Open world

Attached: zelda_snack.jpg (449x449, 43.77K)

I would argue that it's not a dichotomy but a spectrum and its a matter of how "open" the map is and if there are load screams. In this way, Simon's Quest is in a sense an open world. Although games that are colloquially called "Open Word" tend to have even less gated progression and more trivial task to flesh out the environment. The meaningful distinction in terms of gameplay is in a sense is how much "sequence breaking" is deliberately allowed by the developer. Too much on rails, the experience can becomes boring, too much freedom and the player is left without any meaningful engagement in a broader context.

sage for double post

Interesting point, and i understand your approach.
But, for me, the defining point of being "true open world" comes from the next questions:

How can the player achieve it's goal?
What is the player's goal?

Following the thread's original statement, let's proceed with BOTW.
Player goal? Defeat Calamity Ganon
How can the player achieve it? Whatever he wants.

There are videos of people killing it with a Laddle and Pot Lid.
Sure, you can spend time to get better equipment or the heroes powers, but the game doesn't gate you anytime.

Another point, dungeon items/relics acting as keys to other content:
Let's consider A Link to the Past and it's remake.
The first one has some "on rails" progression, and once you hit the dark world you can tackle some of the dungeons in the order you want.
But you are still gated on going to some dungeons.
Items act as keys.

But on the remake, you can access the "key items" from the go, breaking the gates that kept you from exploring all the world from the start.
That is closer to it being an open world.

For me, it was a pointless change, even though i can see what they aimed for.
I can say the same thing for BotW:
Traded the progression of key items for the true open world.
The result? A bland experience, bland dungeons.

My opinion? Let the themed dungeons with crazy artifacts return, but let them be accessed from the start.
Thanks to the "slate powers", you can combine them with the dungeon-item gimmick so it has cool puzzles.
That way dungeons wouldn't be so basic as in ALttP remake.
And that way, dungeon-items boost the fun when exploring the overworld.

Mate, not everyone is like you that you like exploring just for the sake of it. Like the other user said, some want something really exciting and unique when they explore the world. So do not expect others to meet to your own standards.

Attached: ToonLink.jpg (1200x1340, 152.64K)

Are you writing poem user? What's with the retarded formatting?

Isn't Zelda already a open world game?

Knowing the length of my reply, i tried to divide it for easier reading.

Do you realize that you're expecting others to meet YOUR standards? Maybe BOTW isn't for you. You're not the target audience if you don't enjoy exploring. Deal with it.

Jesus fuck did you come here from cuckchan?

Keep posting

That's not how you spell Linebeck.

My only problems with BOTW are
Biggest bullshit mechanic they added to a Zelda game
Only looks best with toon Link. I prefer the styles of OOT and TP.
They could have added more things to explore. I love the return of lynels, but was disappointed with the lack of Dark Nuts, Redeads and etcetera.
The tunic is in-game, but it doesn't feel right seeing it brushed off of the story.

Read my fucking comment again, did I even said anything about others to expect what I like? It was the other user that wanted to. Do you realize that exploration is the major driving point of the series, not just BOTW? I really did enjoy the game overall, but there are some things that were not enjoyable like others had explained.

Read before you fucking type.

Struck a nerve huh? Don't worry, once the Zelda cycle kicks in everyone will love BOTW and you guys will be left a retarded minority, shrieking like egoraptor about bad design while you ignore obvious solutions to your gameplay problems.

Bullshit. Everyone loved Skyward during release and then retroactively shit on it years later.

We have been discussing about some problems the game has and criticizing to improve. What the fuck are you talking about? And Arin does not know shit anything about basic game design, you fucking shill.

You can go back now.

What? People mercilessly shit on Skyward Sword. It wasn't well loved at all. That game was the catalyst for Nintendo entirely rethinking Zelda. Breath of the Wild is literally a result of the backlash Skyward sword received from the beginning.

This

When IGN didn't give it a perfect 10, fans bitched about it saying that IGN hates Nintendo. People were riding on Skyward when it first came out. It's just Holla Forums that was critical of it the entire time.

not only that
that's what rustles my jimmies. Why can't you faggots just say what you believe, without trying to craft a fucking narrative

Funnily enough Game Informer did give it a perfect 10. I would say SS did get a huge amount of backlash but it wasn't enough to drown out the masses of normalfags.

Attached: Smash Bros Double Nigger.jpg (722x377, 49.92K)

Fantastic. I posted a single remark about dishonestly pushing consensus, and 3 separate idiots rushed to misinterpret it.
If you are not legit shills, take my suggestion and work on yourself because you actually sound retarded from an outsider perspective.

Keep sperging faggot.

Seriously what is it about Zelda/Mario threads that brings out the biggest crybabies.actually don't answer that

It's a Nintendo franchise, and thus it must be beset on all sides by cocksuckers like ROB and mark and contrarian fags equal and opposite in magnitude like the labo soyjak spammer.

I don't you not to answer that, I've been banned for less than what you just posted believe me

I want cuckchan to fuck off.

Attached: 41793de10d39fb3961569b0cec09940520a5913348db7d8081a43a51c245a308.jpg (666x972, 149.73K)

BOTW is like going exploring while still having your phone and every available convenience with you along the way. The series needs to go back to its fantasy roots rather than emphasizing on the "ancient technology" trope the current director loves to push

Attached: wallmaster_blacklist_by_deimos_remus-d9pk2hn.jpg (1200x1200, 974.91K)

Old Zelda art was top notch.

It's fan-made but I agree

Attached: link_vs__lynel_by_deimos_remus-d72bv8v.jpg (1024x1024, 237.89K)

Grow up and learn what mockery is.

Except I have, and you're forgetting a very important difference. That's real life. If I wanted to go exploring some generic wilderness outside, I could go do that and get the full experience, sights, smells, sounds, and feels. BotW is a video game. I don't play video games for the same experience I can easily get in real life. I don't play video games just so I can sight-seeing in generic woodlands with the same trees copypasted around. Video games exist for excitement and challenge. There are plenty of walking simulators that can give you the kind of exploration you're talking about. I expect more out of a Zelda title. I expect actual adventure, seeing new things and overcoming new challenges, not doing and finding almost the same thing over and over, spread across a few square miles. I expect a good game.

solid dubs and post

Attached: wanted vs got.jpg (2046x1664, 3.4M)

Just saying.

Attached: Why BOTW is not a good zelda game.PNG (1790x270, 228.79K)

I wonder if the person who made that post is aware that a killer app isn't so much good as it is popular

Attached: e30a8d25265da96338d2f20286a46cfcad701ee612f2ecc569ab550f77c2432a.png (640x545, 414.79K)

There was a cave in BotW. A cave with a shrine inside it. :^).

in order, a little gay, kinda gay, might be gay, definitely gay, extra gay

No it's all gay.