archive.is/P3iBi)
spacebiff.com/2012/09/06/metro-2033-the-index/
baen.com/monster-hunter-international.html
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Artemis-Fowl/TPB?id=99532
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lord of The Rings… oh wait

Come on op.

Orlando Furioso
The game shouldn't follow the book exactly, but something that's loosely based on the story, or at least the setting, and keeps the crazier elements would be fun.

A song of Ice an Fire
ASOIAF existed long before reddit got their cancerous mitts on it, and the world is fleshed out enough and complex enough to be a fun medieval murder simulator. A game where you join a lords army and work your way up, or become a merc would be awesome.

and it was poorly written garbage then too

Hyperion.

Better than most current year pozzed literature with token blacks and empowered women with dime a dozen fantasy elements.

And that's saying a lot since George is a good goy who supports hillary.

Malazan Book of the Fallen
The Black Company
Book of the New Sun
The Night Land
The Dying Earth
Garrett PI

All of these would make incredibly good settings for games

No, not really.
Same tier of trash, different flavor.
Someone post the diarrhea passage "the more she drank the more she shat" of this incredible saga.

thanks for the recommendation, i just ordered that

the black company wasnt that great in my opinion. it wasnt bad and it was certainly better than most trash out there now, but it was kind of uninteresting

No good book should be ever adapted into a modern videogame. No good literature deserves that kind of desecration.

Turn-based games would do ok, since they are a better story medium.

Not a book but I DEMAND a Mouse Guard CRPG

That's because the Black Company was mostly supposed to be about the ambiguity of fighting on the "evil" side, not really a big universe-creating project. Its for the most part just a normal fantasy setting with the magic toned down, the only real elaboration about tge world came later in the Books of The South

Automotive Mechanics

Shoo shoo, razorfruit

Also, Speaker for the Dead would make for a neato adventure game. Wander around the universe, investigating the lives of dead people and debating motherfuckers.

thats my point, it pretty much fails at its main goals. the whole series just seemed like reading a boring news feed where nothing is interesting or surprising and almost paint by numbers.

Sure is patrician over here.

I see you're a man of exquisite taste. My father passed the books onto me when I was a young lad.

We gotten games based on Witcher and Road side picnic.

earthsea pretty much screams open world rpg
pretty sure the goal in one of them was to literally sail to the end of the world in order to find out why magic is broken, it doesn't get better than that

You ride a tiger as you are trying to escape the horrors of the modern world. It's a stealth game, a social one basically where you have your AI-companion, the tiger which you basically have to carry/order around to get from point A to point B. It's a pretty hard game because nobody can notice you, you have to blend into the crowd, while having a tiger besides you.

He said GOOD literature, user.
I'll give you Roadside Picnic, though.

Earthsea is just… I dunno. It sounds like it could work, but unless you somehow absolutely nail the entire true name mechanic you're kinda left with another shallow RPG in a conceptually interesting setpiece.

Wheel of time as long as they skip some of the middle books like holy fuck I never realized how much nothing you could write with 260,000+ words

STARSHIP TROOPERS

It would make for a good VN at least. It'd be a bit more difficult to translate into an eroge.

Well shit, is it any good? And does it follow the book, or the movie? Because they're very different. The guy who made the movie only read the first few chapters of the book, got pissed off by the militaristic and possibly pro-fascist message of the story, and decided to make a movie parody of it. He didn't do a very good job shitting on the book though because he didn't finish or understand it.

a military republic does not nessesarily have to be fascist

That's why I said possibly, but that was enough to piss off the guy who made the movie.

Don Quxote
Could have a real world vs. imagined world motif

it's pretty shit, the game has a boring selection of guns most of them being the same gun but with a different attachment, the game's gimmick that is the selling point was that you fight a giant army of bugs but the missions are kind of boring and some of them painful, the game is based from the movie (there's even clips from it sprinkled as cutscenes) overall the game is pretty mediocre at best, i don't renember much of it since i played it when i was a little kid, just pirate it and see it for yourself

if it wants to be a succesful one it does

But the Witcher is already a series of games based on a series of ripoffs of Elric.

the Imperium is a fascist theocracy, not a military republic

hotel tycoon/dating game/dugeon keeper-esque murder castle builing sim

Athens was quite successful before it was co-opted by those faggot Thebans.

How disgusting.

There's already a set up for it using Terra Nova as the basis for how'd you play the game too, since that game is for all practical purposes MI vs pirates

I find it hilarious that anti-military fags and pacifist cucks think that militarism is somehow a fascist trademark since all of history's most influential communist leaders are also military leaders. Lenin still counts since the paramilitary Bolsheviks were basically his version of the brownshirts. Marx does too since his "seize the means of production" implies that muh united workers will have to do so by force as an organized force. And these fags still support communism as if it's their version of the second coming of Jesus or Muhammad in some cases.

Sage because not vidya

That actually does look pretty close to what I'd imagine an MI to be like, aside from dropping from orbit, leaping miles, and heavy use of tactical nukes and flamethrowers. Game looks pretty solid too.

they were just keeping them true to their own words

The Perry Rhodan Universe
Terry Pratchett stuff for middle age GTA
and the city of the sleeping books.

It's pretty fun but it's really short sadly
you can probably find a pirate copy pretty easy since it's up on GoG

Is the implication of this that war is bad? Because it isn't. Athens was eroded by the debauchery brought from wealth. If they had a true, strong and moral blockade against this debauchery, which supported the war, they would not have fallen. Thebes were the real homophiles of Greece: sold themselves to those filthy "Aryans", and had a bunch of faggot soldiers called the "Sacred" Band.

I see where you're coming from, Black Company was written by a rather amateur writer who is actually just a car mechanic that got sick of the generic adventure shit and decided to make his own series, The Dread Empire, which Black Company is very clearly cut from the same cloth as. The series is mostly notable for being a pioneer of multiple ideas (throwing you into the middle of the story and expecting you to catch up on your own being the most obvious), I'd say its more of a series you point to as a starter of trends, even if its not the best at realizing that idea itself.
For the most part the series grew in popularity amoung US soldiers that liked the gritty realism of being a mercenary in a fantasy setting instead of being a clean-hearted hero or magic wizard. In modern times where every faggot tries to be deep by being "morally grey" that doesn't sound like much at all, but BC was written in the 80s and one of the first to apply the theme.

I think we had a thread talking about this a few weeks ago, but how can different books in the bible be adapted to video games?
One suggestion was a dating VN about king Solomon and his 300 wives and 700 concubines.

I want a Malazan title just for the secondary card game

I wouldn't trust FaggotFist to know what is plagiarism when he thinks that Dark Souls is a Diablo rip off.

What are you talking about Satan?

How about movies that could have been good games?

Pic related would have been a better video game than movie

book 1 of the dark tower series, the gunslinger, was a fucking fascinating, excellent book and i've always felt it would make a good game. it was written as a single book and wasn't intended to be part of a huge, multi-decade saga, and as a result it's the most enjoyable-on-its-own book in the series

christ i love that book, even if the writer is a noguns faglord and the series itself is a weird, self-fellating opus

I haven't read a book in years nor have I read more than a dozen ones.

>War of the Buttons

Yeah it got really weird and shitty at the end
ignore if you don't want spoilers
that many years and its just a fucking groundhogs day shit

Someone said mistborn could make a good game, they are probably right. I liked that book, but then the more I read it the more I hated it.
I think with these kinds of things its better to just go with a side story in the setting instead of taking the main characters and shoving them into a game.

The second one was my favorite tbh

it was really good, but i think that the gunslinger would make a much better self-contained game without making it rely on a cliffhanger ending or condensing the story to a point where it was a mockery of the original in order to make it fit

There's already tonnes of them so take your pic.

Kinda in the same boat The ones I have read don't really lend themselves to being made into games, apart from maybe superficial details.

Goddamn, now I’m sad.

dark wood is kind of like that.

Let me guess. You're a Razorfist fan, right?

The bartimaeus trilogy

Anything by Dostoevsky, if only because the world needs more Slav simulators than just Stalker.

no implication at all,it's as straightforward as it can be

I want a lord of the flies game. But it probably will be turn into a Facebook or mobile game.

Mien Kampf tbh

The 3 musketeers would make a fine RPG action game I say.

We almost got that but Konami and Kojima had to fuck it up before we got to that part

Mate do you not see the Commisar, the Imperium is basically NazBol transplanted on a galaxy scale

Books are books and not video games because they are books

The problem with adapting a book into a vidya more so than a book into a movie is that to be vidya it needs to be able to be played so you need a near constant state of gameplay as well as the story telling unless you want some shitty walking simulator

Metro does this ok because of the spookums and commies are all part of the book but if the game was truly faithful it be 70 walking sim with a few quick time event running scenes

With the ultimate goal to seduce the queen of Sheba

Also suggest:
Demon with a Glass Hand- could easily made into a FPS.

Merchants of Venus- Exploration sim

Ender's Game. Think Blitzball but with a military focus.

Black Company was good until not-India. Not great, but good.

Truly the thinking man's fantasy.

The beauty of the inevitable Bannerlord mod is that I will be able to murder all the cast.

Wasp
Get sent to an alien planet to infiltrate and destabilize their entire society with absolute minimum input/effort all while avoiding detection.

How come no one mentioned the Bolo books? You are put in control of a massive, AI controlled tank and tasked to wage war on a whole world. You could start the game as damaged from the drop and tasked with recycling metal and destroyed enemy vehicles, to give you the ability to improve and customize your vehicle between missions as well.

I love Joe Abercrombie's books in the first law universe, but I am wondering how you would translate them into a video game.

It probably would be better to not be too overambitious.
So maybe do an action game that is built around Logan Ninefingers and him going full Beserker. Maybe like a Dishonered. It's very satisfying to go full Blooy Nine, but it makes a bad end more likely.
Alternatively you can go the other route, be more sneaky and clever.

Then you could have a political intrigue game. Focus it of course, around Glokta, the fan favourite and intensify his relationship with the Inquisition. It should have a witcher-like choice system and be quite punishing. No matter what you do, you are getting fucked. You piss off tons of different factions, the merchant guild, the arch lektor himself and later when you go across the continent to that city I forgot the name off, which will be your most challenging task, especially when you can choose to take that loan or not.
It's also very important to not try to just suck up to the Arch Lector for example, because then the Arch Lector might succeed in his end game plan. Also you gotta be careful with Bayaz and not piss him off.
Make sure to also start many cutscenes, like when you switch character to start with Glokta being in extreme pain and shitting in his bed, struggling up the stairs, etc.

Then an Infiltrator game as that one shapeshifter dude might be interesting. But I don't know how you would be able to make it more open and not too linear. I think the best would be to maybe not try to adapt the books and invent new stories from the background lore.

Oh and a Mount and Blade Style Game as Nicomo Costa would be fucking awesome. You can also buy nicer cloths so that skin disease he has gets more covered up and looks less ugly. But in certain chapters of his story you gotta start from nothing again and look very downtrodden again. But in the end maybe you can actually make him press his claim on that one duchy he was talking about.

Man, now I really want to play Nicomo Costa at least in a mount and blade mod.

How can you stand that tryhard cuck? If all it took to be a good writer was shitting out stories that make Shadow look like a dull razor he'd have won the Nobel Prize for literature by now. He belongs to the current crop of Western cuck writers that think making stories as "realistic" as possible is how you make good fiction, because we all know escapism is reading about horrible people you hate doing horrible things to each other.

Jesus Christ, user, develop some fucking taste.

Then recommend me someone better than him.
Also some of his characters are goat. I wish we had a POV chapter of Glokta being in the Maker's tower.
His books aren't literary masterpieces, but they are FUN!, user. FUN!

I'll keep posting Leviathan in these threads until I meme it into reality

There's no good Western writer that has been born in the past six decades.

Go read some fucking Conan to get at least some testosterone back after being subjected to the garbage you're reading.

Oh yeah, reading about people the audience actively despises is really fucking fun. You're too dumb to even realize the kind of subversive garbage you are reading.

So, is there any contemporary literature you read, user?

Will do, always wanted to read it.

In what way is it subversive?

Short story "Christ's Earth", not necessarily the events of the story but the world it's set in. You're leading a team of inter-dimensional infiltrators on a newly discovered alternate Earth. Your task is to carry out a secret conquest through subversion and infiltration of the society and government(s) to ultimately, bring the new world under the control of your leaders from Stalin's Earth (your homeworld).

As a player, you'd use bribery, forgery, blackmail, assassinations, regional destabilization, subversion of political organisations, promotion of fringe groups and so on to hide your extra-dimensional presence while also gaining more and more control and influence over the world. You'd manage your agents and relationships with native influential groups, decide what to do with intel they gather for you, try to minimize any mishaps and manipulate native politicians to do your bidding. You lose the game if your presence is exposed to the general populace.

The difficulty level would depend on a how technologically advanced the natives are and how centralized they are politically. For example the two ends of the difficulty spectrum:
The easiest to conquer because you only have to change the people at the top and you have a full control. They are technologically behind so they have lower chance of recognizing your more advanced spying tricks.
Very hard to conquer in secret. You have to gain influence and work toward more centralized world, you don't have edge over natives in term of spying techniques.

tl;dr interdimensional commie infiltration simulator

Fuck, no. At least nothing that was made by someone in the West. I'm tired of pointless nihilism, edgyness for the sake of it, tokenism and diversity, female characters with a thousand cock stare and the charm of a rabid hyena. I want to be fucking entertained, not slog through page after page of shit.

A good article from a while back (archive.is/P3iBi) does a beautiful job of illustrating why modern Western authors should be all shot and their works burned on a pyre. Here's a bit about your favorite hack:

Because it undermines Western mythology, because of all the scatology, a clear sing that a Jew, or a Jewish golem, wrote it, because the characters are horrible people doing horrible things for horrible reasons. I don't mind moral ambiguity, but I really can't fucking stand a story where I am supposed to hate the whole cast. I am not a mentally ill leftist that gets off on masochism.

Why not be a right wing infiltrator and try to make the world a better place?

I don't think anyone's suggesting that the games should be 1:1 with the books. Most of the anons ITT seem to just want a game with the same setting as the books posted, like pic related.

Yeah we're a long way from seeing a game that plays anything like Hardcore Henry. Shit is basically the matrix. We'll all probably be too old to even shit without a nurse before this happens.

The Drizzt Do'Urden prequel books Homeland/Exile would make for a pretty kickass action rpg, particularly if you were given the option to leave for the surface or stay and take over house Do'Urden by killing Malice/Briza and fucking Vierna

Made by Bioware.

I hope you mean Holderlin's and not that other kike's sci-fi garbage

I feel a game based around Dune would be pretty cool.

Isn't drow society a matriarchy?

I'd like Mortal Engines.

That's why you'd fuck Vierna

They'd make the Drow misunderstood good guys mark my fucking words

What if you aren't a dude

Drizzt is male.

There's a hundred other posts in this thread, so I'm not going to read through all of them. If this is a thread about books that would make great video games and you have just posted Frank Herbert's DUNE, I have to ask you one question:
Have you only just now discovered the world of digital entertainment or are you trolling?

I too would love to have a game about White Sephiroth that isn't a Witcher game.

user please. :(
They worked hard on it and it's fun.

I could imagine Dying Light having been pitched as that game exactly, only for it then to get dragged down by mediocre developers insisting on bog standard rehashed ideas for it instead.

Actually, no. Metro 2033, I think, is the most faithful adaptation of a non-videogame to a videogame that I know. Link related: spacebiff.com/2012/09/06/metro-2033-the-index/

The entire series is basically Warhammer 40k

But we already gotten a Pokémon style animorphs game.

Open ended game based on feists midkemia.

Those are shitty RTS games. I'm thinking some kind of Shadow of the Colossus/Tomb Raider/Lost Planet type of game.

The EarthSea saga works more as a Point&Click Adventure, or as a ICO clone with some magic, not for RPG.
Tehanu sucks dick though, i would make only the first 3

I think it'd have to be a party based CRPG, and it'd have to feature an original story by the author rather than being based on the books.

That one would be Holla Forums's new favorite game to hate if Ursula K. Le Guin has anything to say, and you can be sure she would insist on it, given how hard she complained that the TV miniseries had whitewashed the cast. She would make sure that you can only make brown people in character creation and have the plot full of approved values.

Le Guin is a hardcore liberal who has only grown more overtly intersectional feminist over the years. The first three Earthsea books belong to her early period. The release of the fourth book ruined my enjoyment of the series.

The black company is definitely a case where only the first novel in the series is necessary. It's a fantastic, tight read on it's own. We probably all wish we were warned about the rest beforehand.

Hunger Games :^)
Plus loot boxes for the only form of character progression, of course.

I understand this thread is for more /lit/ oriented people but I've got to say Monster Hunter International. It's light reading so here's an official link. If you want the same setting but a bit written better look into MH: Memoirs by John Ringo.
baen.com/monster-hunter-international.html

Attached: Jin-roh_wolfbrigade.gif (1213x2007 1.54 MB, 732.33K)

Also, The Vagina Ass of Lucifer Nigger Bastard as a telltale adventure or even oldschool assbackwards obscene puzzles would be the stuff of legends.

Enders Game would be an interesting game.

Posting more Elric music

you best take it back, nigger

Attached: 7e295c59845d7d999d3fa721089e6eb4f3aa5994f16b804518397d78a078dd1f.jpg (1175x1138, 143.94K)

mite b cool

Attached: logan's run.jpg (648x434, 73.51K)

The forever war.

Power armor
Fightan xenos
Hellish earth
Great excuse for melee midgame and later

It's possible to create several forms of gameplay wihtout telling the player about it. Have a Brave New World setting where all you do is play the same mindless minigames and pop Soma "to Heal" only to find out there's more gameplay to be had if you start fucking around and overstep your boundaries.

Can't believe my friend got to me read this fucking trash. This was just the shitty cherry on top of the whole shitty series though. So many chapters revisit what's already happened in previous chapters you really do feel like you're going insane from reading this shit.

Surprised no one mentioned this.

Basically, the concept would be for this to be a game where basically 90% of the game is walking in beautiful desolate surroundings with atmospheric weather (dust, rain, snow), scavenging food, etc.

Then 10% of the time you meet enemies maybe 10 in the entire game, that are like dark souls except much more difficult.

I don't know, something like that.

Attached: tr.jpeg (181x279, 9.76K)

Also, this is a very high quality thread.

Almost comes close to the level discussion on 4ch.

Very surprised that not all of you read meme literature like this
user. Very nice.

Attached: 1.0.png (28x28, 2.12K)

Series of unfortunate events had a page with the exact same text as the previous one when deja vu was a subject.

i don't really remember race ever being mentioned in the books
besides, you'd think she'd be madder at how much the miniseries butchered the story instead

Everyone else pronounce it "Elric of Melnibourne"?

Man and child trying to survive the apocalypse huh?

Attached: the road.jpeg (960x960, 123.28K)

Attached: 6b6d0273-8d74-4f86-815b-3e0722e4abc6.gif (321x141, 1.37M)

Attached: armor.jpg (474x711, 45.18K)

A mod for M&B based on The Black Company could be interesting.

The Death Gate Cycle series would make a great Turn based JRPG series if played like Legend of Dragoon and The Dragonlance series could be made into basically any game genre

How about Sigma Force? They aren't the best books but being Delta force except you have seriously high tech gadgets at your disposal and (at the very least the first book) had some metal gear tier shenanigans..

An adventure game where you learn about the biblical end of the world.

Attached: Marching to Zion.webm (1280x720, 3.6M)

Hahahahahaha that has to be the fucking gayest shit I've ever heard.

Attached: 51FVpngYaML.jpg (330x500, 43.4K)

Redwall.

Revelation Space oh wait.
Also the Krogan are just the Moties from A Mote In God's Eye.

Attached: shit.jpg (220x311, 26.46K)

Like a Hand of Fate sort of thing, or better?

Hell yes.

Artemis Fowl

As long as they stop before the 5th book and skip the third I'm sure it would be decent. The game would have to take place mostly in the underground networks though. anybody have the comic pics?

there' were comics? shiiiiiiiiieeeeeet
Aw, I was hoping he'd be called Dworeczki
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Artemis-Fowl/TPB?id=99532

Attached: RCO005_1484002721.jpg (1133x1600, 526.38K)

Yikes, reddit. Just yikes.

Lucian's True History.
How is that for some 2nd century CE science fiction adventure. Traveling to outer space vaging inter planetary war then taking an adventurous journey back home.

They ever do the second book? I figure most people assume that's the peak of the series.