WHERE DA NO-GRIND RPGs AT

I'll never understand why in today's RPG-anything games, grinding for anything is still acceptable. I never actually feel any stronger when I do, I just feel like I've wasted time in between more interesting things like plot advancement and potential additional mechanics.

Are there any RPGs Holla Forumsanons like that don't require either a lot of or any grinding? Bonus points if combat is fun AND rewarding.

Other urls found in this thread:

te4.org/
underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Oddity_XP_System
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Play The Last Remnant.

Looks like a FFX combat system, how does it play? I'm actually kind of interested, though the first review I saw was an IGN review.

Undertale

Gave it a try, not a fan. G-Darius was a better SHMUP.

Warframe.

Isn't the grind in that game to collect currencies? I remember watching someone constantly having to do wave survival tasks to get the same items like 9 times to do more wave survivals. Or is the game past that now? And will it run on a Dell Inspiron 5588, or is it a particle explosion hell like it was in '14 (last I saw of it)?

That's the joke.

So I'm guessing by the short list posted, there are no good RPGs that exist huh. Everything is all grinding? Why do people outside of people with mental disorders love grinding so much? I can't do that treadmill crap. Maybe I have the mental disorder.

WHERE DA NO-JUMPING PLATFORMERS AT

Marble Madness is the first one I can think of. Any sort of gravity puzzle game would count.

OP is a faggot for assuming that everyone knows his preferences and what he finds tedious and doesn't find tedious. "Grind" is entirely subjective. Yes, there are things that 95% of people find tedious, but holy shit you barely put anything in your post. Warframe is a great example. Some people love that game, others call it a total grindfest. Diablo 2 is another good one; if you find running a procedurally generated dungeon and killing the same boss repeatedly boring, then you'll think D2 is a grindy shitfest, otherwise you might say it's an excellent game.

RPG = stats autism.
Games with actual roleplaying and meaningful interactions with world and characters are labeled adventures games instead.

Grinding is important because it lets you experience something you'll most likely never experience IRL, the feeling of hard work actually paying off.

The problem is that the term "RPG" was abused by wargamers who loved to crunch numbers and manage resources.

That's how it is today.
Wanna talk about soulslikes?

That's not even a fucking genre though, just a trend. I hate the fact that that word caught on even though there's already a name for the genre; unlike "Doom clones" there is no excuse here.

Is this an example of the latter? I'd be interested.

I can study, work out, and make money. I'm already doing that. I guess that's why I have a problem with RPG grinding.

I am fairly certain people refer to any sort of XP bar or resource building as grinding, I have yet to hear of anything else referred by this. I thought it was pretty self descriptive.

If you never played any Way of the samurai game, you missed out.
It doesn't matter which one you can get your hands on, just play it.
1 and 3 are more serious ones, while 2 and 4 are more of anime comedy.

OP sucking dick as usual.

Basically everything if you git gud and aren't playing Dragon Quest.
Mega Man Battle Network doesn't have EXP and real-time combat means you can dodge all enemy attacks
Mario & Luigi or TTYD because you can dodge/counter
Play something on easy :^)))))
Radiant Historia gives you bonus EXP for combo attacks

Here are a couple of JRPGs that have almost no grind, as long as you fight most enemy encounters, you don't need to spend extra time farming for levels or items.
Then why even play the game?

Not at all. Most RPGs are based around levels, but in a well designed one you never have to linger in an area to grind. If you run from fights all the time you're in trouble. If you fight what's presented to you you'll have acceptable damage numbers by the end of the game, with an experience curve that allows you to catch up quickly in later areas.

After that in some RPGs, for bonus dungeons designed around mechanics abuse they hand you tools or have existing systems that change up the gameplay focus, and the idea behind it is you have to find a way to get to max level and set up to abuse the game to it's fullest.

For example in Star Ocean 3, you're presented with enemies in the Sphere tower dungeon that can one-shot you easily, so you have to take full advantage of equipment customization to skyrocket your stats, you can either grind or set up your equipment so it gives you max stats, which is easy since all that entails is making 3 sets of expensive boots, upgrading them so their effects are boosted, then copy-pasting their +30% stat boosts over an over 9 times on a generic weapon, like on a Laser Sword that can be equipped to anyone and is easily available.

The effect boosts your stats to max when you compound it with stat-boosting gear or +2000 Attack boost effects and so on.

On top of that, if you do well in combat in a certain way, like killing enemies with a special attack, you can grossly enhance your EXP gain up to about 300%-500%.

This combined with a status infliction weapon, like a Laser Sword or Gun with a Freeze chance on hit, compounded with multi-hit effects and a Light Ball homing missle-on-attack effect that's normally a gimmick that does little damage but has a different element, you can make a 1-Hit KO weapon that compounds when you use multi hit attacks, which one of your ranged party members, Maria, has plenty of, and her Ultimate skill is practically made for this since it uses her Fury points as ammo.

So, with your stat-maxing gear and 1-hit KO gun alongside your 500% exp battle bonus, you can go fight certain enemies, specifically Fish enemies on the first floor of that dungeon since they have the least resistance, you can take a character from Level 1 or otherwise to Level 200 in three battles due to how EXP is ridiculous in the dungeon since all enemies are max level.

On top of that there's gear that boosts EXP gain but increases damage you take by x3, so you could do it in one.

And THAT is how well designed RPGs handle grinding. When you get down to it, RPGs are about figuring out a system and abusing it like a massive puzzle with variable solutions. Loads of games don't do that anymore because the AAA industry only grasped that "RPGs = numbers or some shit"

grinding can be fun, people play games to kill time and grinding is a time-sink that develops your avatar or whatever. BTW - real life works like this too.

But sucking dick would be an alternative to grinding.

also just like RL
earn money
or suck dick

he's one of those "I WANT TO PLAY A STORY" type of people. You know, fags.

Chrono Trigger has basically no grinding. Same with Persona 5

There is no roleplaying either.

Grind in this game user.

The only grind in Magic Pengel is when you want more of a specific color to use in drawing your creatures. And it usually only takes 1 or two battles to get what you need. Combat is simple but focuses heavily on prediction.

Go into it blind. Only use the wiki when absolutely necessary.

It's not that I don't want to fight enemy encounters, I get tired of being forced to grind in an area before I can get to any sort of interesting encounters. That being said, I'll give Lunar and Grandia a try, do either suffer from any PS1-era issues like bad saves or require any sort of patches I should know about? I know Xenogears had a save error issue. But are they RPGs or is it the standard fare "blank character, no real choice" sort of story?

Yeah, that's why I played Castle Crashers to completion. I want gameplay that doesn't suck and pans out itself out by making you build an XP bar so you can get to more interesting shit. If I wanted a story, I'd open a book. Even then, neither of those is an RPG.

Already beat it, I'd say you're wrong in some areas but I later figured out that if you just explore some areas then you can get some pretty decent gear that lasts a while.

I remember M&L being alright, any emulators you'd recommend? Any particular Battle Network games I should start with or just start from the beginning, and is BN an RPG or a "blank character, no real choice" sort of deal? Also get fukt on the easy suggestion.

Pool of Radiance

Ah, found the wrpg fag. I forgot that it only counts as an rpg if it was made by Todd Howard or if you have gay sex with an alien/elf

Then stop playing MMOs and actually play an RPG.

Nice digits tho

I gave WoW a try for 2 days when I was 13, several years ago. I haven't touched one since. Your hip fire is inaccurate, try aiming.

Your dick is as thin as the straw that makes up my strawman

Epic script usage friend.

It really isn't. Basically you have a few teams of 5 characters each. When each team has their orders entered then all moves happen at the same time. You don't give direct orders either, you give general statements like "use elemental attacks!" or "make sure that team over there doesn't die!" You can't even decide the equipment of characters that aren't the MC. It's very different than most traditional JRPGs.
He mentioned it because the game tracks and adjusts the difficulty of encounters based on the amount of encounters you've been in. You have to balance the amount of encounters with the amount of exp you get from each encounter.

Don't make me nostalgia for my NES too much, user

You can decide the equipment of your party… sort of. You just have to refuse their requests for your items until they ask for one you want to give them. I believe the items they ask for is determined by if they're focusing on combat, magic, or both.

LuluuFarea, my man.
Unique JRPG in the fact that every battle has a set conclusion depending on your stats, if you win you win, if you lose you lose.
If you can beat an enemy but with only 1hp remaining, that's what will happen everytime you fight that enemy.
Because of that all the battles are automatic and can be skipped almost entirely.
The catch is that no monster gives you any EXP, only gold. You're Lvl 1 for the entire duration of the game, so there's no real grinding. Enemies are static on the map and if you kill them they never respawn, so there's no grinding for gold too.
Only way to get stronger to beat stronger enemies is to collect certain items or buying stuff with the gold you manage to collect.
But since gold is scarce and every time you heal or buy shit it gets progressively more expensive, you have to really manage your resources carefully or you end up in a "Checkmate State" where you can't progress because there's not enough gold or collectibles available for you to get stronger and you can't defeat the enemies currently blocking your way. Your save file is basically dead if you do this.
Also you can fuck some monster girls, no big deal.

ToME sorta kinda has some very limited grinding, mostly with diminishing returns

but all of the grinding except for ruined dungeon orb spamming(almost always for ingredients for the alchemist quest or tinkers) is extremely dangerous, and even doing that can be somewhat dangerous

non-grinding gameplay is usually much safer than grinding in ToME

Bionic Commando fuckboy.

Stop playing JRPG Wizardry clones and play a proper CRPG.

Witcher and Witcher 2

Semantics destroyed RPG's

Chrono Trigger and Panzer Dragoon Saga don't require grinding. Also the Mario RPGs made by Intelligent Systems and Alpha Dream. Fun Fact: Alpha Dream includes many ex Squaresoft devs who fled the sinking ship/merger.

It's really not.

Please don't recommend people an unfinished disaster, that's a real dick move, especially when they spend 40 hours enjoying disc 1 and get to disc 2 and realise they've just wasted all that time.
Those other 2 are sweet though.

Did you type this in some sort of candlelit basement waiting for you turn in the middle of a dungeons and dragons game?

pokemon red.
hope is help.

work smarter, not autistically tard

play Fire Emblem 7 OP

Morrowind has no grinding. There are many way to complete objectives without having to grind at all. I love Morrowind so much I wish I could escape there the quagmire I find myself in real life.

Gothic 1 and 2

What was wrong with that dude, did he have bad knees?

Have you tried jumping two stories? His arm's bionic, not his whole body.

Guild Wars 1

Tabletop RPGs, vidya RPGs just aren't as good. Though it's best to play with friends, I don't know if there's a way to play D&D all by yourself.

Disgaea

I just tried Final Fantasy 1 for the first time. It's the most grindiest game I'ver ever played. I coudn't fathom ever spending that much time grinding to try and beat it.

You don't need to grind to get through the main story, though leveling up your equipment sure helps. The story though is like 5% of the game, the rest of it is grinding for the superbosses.

Try doing Final Fantasy Tactics without grinding, easily one of the best experiences ever.

Also Ogre Batle 64, no grind at all in this game, you can't even grind on the maps, there is a special "training " option and you can get your ass handled back in it, grinding is also rewarded negatively with bad alignment if you kill a character with a level too low for yours.

Get out of here you faggot kid.

Most RPGs don't have any grinding though.

Neverwinter nights 1 & 2
You never actually grind, going thorough the game feels like it though

As someone who pretty much can't stand menu based JPRG combat, the thousand year door is still damn fucking good. Most attacks can be negated entirely with good timing and pretty much all attacks require it too. It's not a difficult game by any stretch but it's got a lot going for it in terms of breaking the standard boring ass JRPG grindy menu combat since actually being good at super guards is far more important than your level.

I'm stuck in the "dungeon" of the rich people town after the train level. I played it when I was completely plastered last time and I have no idea what to do in the castle or how to progress.

9 times out of 10 when people are bitching about "grinding" they're bitching about jpeg games that do this and have random encounters. I mean with games like chrono trigger you don't have to battle every enemy you meet only if you fuck up and touch them or at certain points in the story. So the regular battles don't feel as tedious since you either fucked up or willing attacked that creature. In a real time game you can just avoid random encounters by just avoiding enemies in the distance.

So you haven't gotten the star of the train chapter or are you on the chapter after that one?

The problem with most JRPGs is not the combat itself but the insane amount of small battles that you have to sit through. Pokemon is entry-tier shit when it comes to JRPGs and even then, look how long it is to start a fight and finish it. By the end of the game you will have literally spent a few hours just looking at the cutscene that starts the battle.

A game like Pokemon Colosseum isn't perfect but in my opinion it's a a greate deviation from a standard pokemon game since you can choose when to start a fight and there's not as many (or at least it doesn't feel like it). Also every fight is somewhat important because every once in a while there's a pokemon that you can catch, so there's an incentive to incite a battle with NPCs. Also, every battle is a team battle so you can level up your pokemon a lot easier instead of having to grind with individual pokemon.

My point is that Pokemon: Red and Pokemon Colosseum have the same battle system, but one of them is filled to the brim with near-worthless random battles that happen constantly and the other allows you to breathe between each fight and doesn't feel like a grind.

Dragon's Dogma on Hard Mode. You get so much exp and money that you never need to grind for anything but endgame loot, which is meaningless because the thing people grind on for endgame loot is the final boss of the game so they're killing the final boss of the game in order to get better equipment to kill the final boss of the game with.

Whats wrong with menus? You don't need to read them once you memorize the motions.

You seem new to RPGs because that's always been the case.

Attached: 1-bof2-ryu.jpg (550x580, 77.44K)

Guild Wars 1

TL;DR stop caring so much about the "story" and play the fucking games

Stop playing shitty Visual Novel RPGs and play manly Action RPGs.

PLAY DRAGON QUEST 3
DO IT!

>>>/reddit/

I really could never ever get into that game.

good games

wasn't the combat in this literally just paper rock scissors?

i'm surprised someone else even actually played this weird ass game.

Attached: fccab487e109c6f5ae4998b8abf0546f36eebef7014287c987aa1084a2e3ccef.png (4685x2457, 41.66K)

It is, block, attack, magic, and something else maybe? My fondest memory is drawing the most perfect penis in the beginning and then watching it dance to the song.

BoF3 and 4 didn't have any grinding, at least.

Step 1 was the same for me, but I never had an issue with the bosses. Most games people call grindy actually require little to no grind. The Final Fantasy series is a great example of so called grindy games that I used to go through with zero issues as a kid by running from every battle.

For almost 2 decades, all the games from this company features an anti-grinding mechanic: the lower your level, the more EXP you'll get from enemies; the higher your level, the lower EXP you'll get, and at some point, barely no EXP.

This way, you can catch up in no time, and when you get to the desired level for the area you are in, you'll get such low amount of experience points that grinding is absolutely pointless, and the game is asking you to proceed instead.

It's such a great system that I wonder why other companies don't do that.

Attached: 18_1600x1200.jpg (554x718 1.4 MB, 233.82K)

Lost Odyssey did that, and I hated it.

All TES games up to Oblivion allow you to create an end-game character right from the start.

Shining Force 1,2, and 3 have no grind.

Literally any modern RPG that doesn't have microtransactions.

Wouldn't it be great if you just leveled up automatically when you got to the next area? Of course then you might realize that the whole RPG leveling system is stupid.

But no you won't, because you're a moron.

Suikoden did the same thing, fam.

grinding in videogames exist because its fun, prove me wrong faggots.

Well so might be working on a factory floor putting pieces together on a conveyor, but who am I to judge on such a subjective matter.

Attached: 1432840282310.png (250x250, 95.11K)

And for almost 7 years now they've been releasing nothing but trash.
Can you guess why?

Attached: Falcom.png (990x323, 28.52K)

fug

if it wasn't fun, it wouldn't be in videogames, you just have shit taste and you're a scrub for not putting effort in a game that requires a lot of high functioning autism, in other words, get good you pathetic casual scrub.

Explain modern gaming.

Daily reminder that grinding is the future for white gaming.

Most RPGs really don't need grinding, at least the ones that aren't MMOs. You don't need that shiny new sword, you can make it with low levels if you manage your resources, use limited use items, etc.

Good RPGs make you want to grind because you enjoy getting new abilities and the combat system and enjoy seeing yourself do well. Winning battles feels good. Getting items feels good. Wrecking places you had trouble with earlier feels good.

If an RPG doesn't make you want to grind all over it a little, it's a bad RPG, or you just don't like RPGs. It's fine user, you can play whatever you like.

It is, but the way it's set up requires you to predict the next attack or get fucked. You can't use your previously used attacks and neither can the opponent, so you have that to predict what move they will use next. If you fuck up, you don't even get damage in.

fug meant to reply to

Most RPGs are a grindfest if you are a scrub who can't roll his stats competently. Most RPGs are not a grindfest when you know what you are doing. Like most actual games, RPGs require a bit of mastery. It's tough to adjust to this if your only real experience in the genre comes from the hybrid action-RPGs that have been coming out on console, that offer instant gratification instead of challenge.

Ni no Kuni has little to no grind depending on your skill level, worst case scenario you might need to bang out a few levels about a third of the way in, but otherwise the game does a good job of keeping you where you need to be as long as you don't run away from fights.

Neverwinter Nights, not to be confused with the free-to-gay MMO of the same name. Depends on the module, but most don't involve any grinding.
Tales of Maj'Eyal, roguelike without level grinding. Base game is free on the developer's website. te4.org/
Final Fantasy III on the SNES and VI in other releases. Level curve is well calibrated for a JRPG. You will rarely need to go back and farm EXP if you know what you're doing.

Attached: FF3.jpg (464x640 268.8 KB, 101.79K)

Just like real life!

If yo don't like grinding, you should stop playing RPGs.

Zelda n64

No one has mentioned this, i'm very disapointed in you.

Attached: Без названия (1).jpg (500x497, 74.57K)

No thanks

Hell, the times you do have to go back is for other things like going to the Veldt for Gau's Rage, the Colosseum for weapons and the Auction House.

That game's combat is fucking awful though, the only depth in a game like that is working out your stats.
If you're looking for a gameplay-oriented RPG go with Deus Ex or EYE Divine Cybermancy, something more traditional or turn-based you can't go wrong with most JRPGs particularly Shin Megami Tensei 3, Grandia 2 or the legend of dragoon.

No thanks

Attached: ERRY SODOMITE BUTTHO WILL GET CANCA.webm (640x360, 6.42M)

Adventure games are built around environmental puzzles and storytelling, with very little or absolutely no combat.

Attached: myst-box-art.jpg (509x640 433.2 KB, 46.03K)

Step it up, fags.
underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Oddity_XP_System

Grinding can be fun though, Xenoblade 2 is a good example of that.

I can't recall any RPG where you actually needed to grind. Grinding was only for brute forcing past fight mechanics because you're either too stupid or mentally lazy.

Attached: get_fucked.jpg (718x480, 159.42K)