Retro FPS thread, I guess

RETRO FPS THREAD FOR OLD FARTS AND HAS-BEENS SINCE THE DOOM THREAD KEEPS ON GETTING DERAILED BY RETARDS THAT DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT BLOOD ISN'T DOOM
I've been playing a lot of blood and duke nukem recently, and I've been wondering if there are more build engine games out there like Nam or Shadow warrior.

Also, have you guys gave half nuked a try? I heard it's pretty fun, but I'd like to hear you guy's opinion on the matter.

Other urls found in this thread:

gog.com/forum/duke_nukem_series/was_duke_nukem_removed_from_gog
8ch.net/v/res/14361071.html
mega.nz/#!J35W3I6Q!1cNH_A-9rg9CRTSLVfpDZz0ThegleUZhhV3cqh52z78
mega.nz/#!o6xHXCYT!Fat397TU6iq7mb-yp3J7RQgxTB2yi6F8X9Ru8vi-z0o
sol-contingency.com/builds/Sol_Contingency_PG_Install_1.0.exe
dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/user/afuturepilot/download.php
zdoom.org/wiki/A_JumpIfInTargetLOS
volafile.org/get/5z7HxWJqMJZi/descent_goodies.7z
volafile.org/get/5z2yAqtX3I1a/AquanoxExtras.rar
advsys.net/ken/buildsrc/build2.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=3qtmkkdND6M
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45036
volafile.org/get/6pYyA-NaTKzW/cronos.7z
allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/wads.php?name=cronos&order=date_desc
web.archive.org/web/20090414125037/http://aeons.planetquake.gamespy.com/aeons-php/sin_emergence_faq.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh yeah, I remember seeing some a trailer of it on Jewtube.
Half Payne is also looking top tiet
I'll need to download it after I finish They Hunger and Afraif of Monsters DC

Have you tried AMC TC and DNF OP?

I wish the bosses in blood were more fun to fight, probably the worst part about the game. Everything else was pretty solid until the very late game where they thought it would be fun to make you hunt down 6 keys per stage.

Reminder to pirate and not purchase Duke games, Randy Pitchford doesn't deserve your money.

Are the damage values across difficulties still fucked in Blood?

FPS has 2 chapters, pre and post counter strike.

boss fights in FPS games are usually pretty bad my man. In fact, I can't think of one that isn't just a bullet sponge or doesn't rely on mechanics that typically don't belong in FPS games.
also the blood splatter in OP sorta looks like losslol

r u a bad enuff dood to dual wield sawed offs

I wouldn't mind the bosses if it wasn't for that fucking spider
No timer on him spawning children, so you can easily get flooded by a bunch of little shits who when they bite you cause the screen to distort. Throwing dynamite is a gamble because one little spider getting in the way means that thing going off in your face. Of course to top it all off the spider is strong to electric attacks so the best weapon in the game, the Tesla gun, is worthless against him.
And if you play any of the expansion episodes there is one in every fucking level.
Give me the fucking hellhound and silver gargoyle any day.

Sorry, I just beat Blood last month and the spider is easily the stand-out worst moment.

Hexen is best retro fps. The other ones are all gay.

Been playing DOOM, Half-Life 1, and the original AVP. It’s absolutely rediculous how fun FPS games used to be compared to what they are now. They were just so fast paced and there was this extra effort to make the enemies fun to fight.

Fucked up thing is that cuck Randy made GOG and a few torrent sites take down their distribution of the old games.

Spider has no direct attacks and has limited number of active spiders at a time which can't climb small ledges.

Soldier of Fortune 1 is rad.

Anyone remember the old "Thinking Man's FPS" meme? That FPS games were brainless affairs with braindead Gameplay and the possibility of an enriching experience but a pipedream?

I do. And the state of FPS today proves that these people were either braindead or were looking a gift horse in the mouth. It takes far more brains and cunning to finish the old games than any FPS released in nearly 20 years.

Those same brainfags are trying to remove tits from gaming now.

Rise of the Triad had the NME. Use cover, stay mobile since that thing is fast and deadly. Don't even bother trying to circle-strafe. Shame the first two bosses in that are gimmicky and easy, while the final boss's first form is retarded.

You're a gay, even though yes, Hexen was a good game. A bit silly with its concept of "puzzles" though when most of them are switch hunts or key hunts. Hexen 2 does better at that.

That's because they missed that playing them well requires its own train of thought: Understanding of how you can move around, the threats different enemies pose and how they interact with each other, and what tools and constraints you are working under to dispose of them. It's not just mindlessly shooting everything in the face.

The "thinking men" they self-identified as were definitely braindead.

For the most part I'm always going back to Destiny on and off, I get too much of a thrill playing it to go for long periods of time.

I'm out of the loop, when did this happen?

I think it was around the re-release of Duke that they removed the originals.

gog.com/forum/duke_nukem_series/was_duke_nukem_removed_from_gog

Pretty cool of Randy to fuck up distribution of a game he didn’t develop, the torrents also got removed from freegoggames, I’d imagine due to threats from bitchford himself,

For me the "thnking man's FPS" have always been about making the player do as much shit as possible at any given time. Something more than just press WASD and click LMB once in a while.

Didn't Randy also refuse to release the 90% complete build of Duke Nukem Forever for free despite the wishes of the original developers?

I hope he gets some nasty, incurable strain of cancer and we get to see him slowly rot to death.

The puzzle comes from dealing with enemy placement and the mixture of enemies. People who wanted a “thinking mans” FPS didn’t like FPS’s.

What retro FPS are available for PS4?
So far i see newest pro-feminist edition of Duke Nukem and i refuse to buy it.

Okay, serious question, do we have a homebrew yet that doesn't break the console?

make sure you're on 4.05 (i think) and sit tight

Simple controls don't necessarily mean simplistic or easy gameplay. Heck, Mario has move left/right and run/jump but the challenge is using those tools to defeat enemies, collect items, and get to the exit. Conversely, some games are overly complicated like SotN where you have a solid movement and combat system but on top of that you have consumables, equippables, spells, subweapons, familiars, stats, transformations, and more, and most of those are poorly fleshed out and balanced, and they rarely use the enemies in a creative or threatening way.

Modern game design doesn't exist. It's a mishmash of recycled stuff and focuses on being a game for "everyone", meaning no game style gets full attention.

Oh come the fuck on. Certainly the mace sucks but the fighter melee stuff is great, and I love caving enemies with the hammer of retribution.

stop canibalizing the Doom thread you friggin fag

Played the Doom wad Going Down, and it was a pretty different experience. It's Uncomfy: the game. You're constantly getting swarmed from every possible angle, even ones that seemed impossible, like zombies suddenly popping up right outside a skyscraper window. Even when you think you've got it figured out, a wall suddenly lowers in your safe spot, face to face with another truckload of niggers when you're still getting pounded by the others. There's almost never a way to be perfectly safe.

I really like it, because it feels like you took regular Doom maps, but cut out everything except the parts where I'm about to die. There's never any danger when I'm chipping through a linear stream of dudes in hallways, or cornershooting all the ones perched in an arena before I actually enter it. Here I'm always running around like a weepy idiot. The only thing is that it feels like a fucking disaster with enemy replacements, because of how meticulous it is. But if you want a thinking man's FPS that's pretty much it, if you don't use trial and error that is.

200 mega hurts is my favorite level of all time
:^)

Post in the Doom thread :
8ch.net/v/res/14361071.html

Stick to sucking cock, faggot.

You mean the Doom thread that is on autosage, and that you can't even link to correctly? I'd rather wait for the new thread.

I really recommend the Death Wish mod for Blood, it's great.

Started playing system shock, lads.

Pretty good tbh.

That is is, 2's more tactical FPS approach is also ok (they wanted to do that with 1 but it never really worked out). Not sure it's truly a retro FPS though.

You should try the two Jedi engine games by the way (Dark Forces and Outlaws).
Duke 3D kinda goes to shit after the first episode and is a bit overrated, give me Blood any day.

They could've intended that as a joke.

Eh? Episode 2 and 3 are on par with the shareware for the most part, unlike ROTT where the best episode is the shareware and the main game is kind of middling to tedious slog (goddamn episode 4). Mind, Duke's episode 4 is kind of crappy for the most part and gets too heavy-handed with the references. Episode 5 I haven't seen and probably don't want to.

Don't play the second one. They really made that one a pain in the ass I got to the cargo ship and they just start spawning assholes with mini-Uzis behind you.

I've been playing Quake 4 and it's mind boggling how something that was pretty bland in its time now is pretty decent.

Dubs of truth. What's the best Blood sourceport?

deepest plets

What about the PC?

DOSBOX

Yours just looks like you're talking to someone in here.

If you're a newfag

Any upcoming wads/mods/whatever you guys are looking forward to for your retro shooter of choice?
Quake champions came out and that was nice but nobody fucking played it,which is sad.

Wew, why are newfags flooding the way of this thread?

Not a big fan of ROTT either really.

-Memoirs of Magic
-On Cosmic Tides

Meant for

Fancy names,what are they about?

Cartoony violence with various types of characters that play differently and Bounty Hunting on Alien planets.

Just bugger off and fap or something if you're so bored you want to pick at irrelevant shit. Ideally the board would indicate cross-thread posts like it does (You)rs but it doesn't. I do it for politeness.

Understandable, it hasn't aged well, and was an anachronism even in its day for being a block-based map like Wolfenstein even if it had a couple of edges over Doom. Not quite as badly as Blake Stone but still.

Does Blood still change your difficulty or whatever if you die in whatever that newer port attempt is called? God I hope they never try to revive it like nudoom and nuwolf

Blood is in trademark hell due to Atari still existing and Monolith is being raped by Warner Bros.
So no, it's not happening
not anytime soon at least

Good.

Bounty hunting huh,that makes me wonder if anybody has made a metroid mod/wad for any of the engines.

The shotgun in this game is still one of my favorites. Blowing off limbs with it is really fun.

goodolddownloads.com
this still has all of them as DDL. Also unrelated but interesting to note is that this also has the old downloads for Recettear and Chantelise which are no longer available from GOG. Good website, has way more games than freegogpcgames

What is it user?

all I know about it is this ass.

That is a nice ass.

You'd think that poseurs would hold up Marathon as some kind of standard as to how merge a "thinking man's" story with "braindead" shooter gameplay.

the pretense that a game is smart and is therefore better is the stupidest thing possible. I've seen hundreds of faggots do it, although it mostly comes from one camp in particular. If you have to use "smart" to describe why a game is good, you're already failing and embarrassing yourself.

If we had to describe our game in one word: "Badass!™"

>reach this map
The craziest bit is that there's an actual level built on top of that and you wouldn't know except from the automap.

That's so great, what does it look like in first person?

How old is 30 in internet years?

Well naturally some of it doesn't exist on the map like the text and most of the middle panel. Basically any dark lines. The cream ones do however form map features.

Also Engrish is amusing to me.

Has La Tailor girl been released yet?

Ever since I started playing Quake 1 running at a fixed speed everywhere can't hold my interest any more. What games are there with core movement mechanics which aren't Quake derivatives?

High Noon Drifter for Doom has a slide mechanic that lets you dodge under enemy fire and zip around.

You can get a map overlay in doom? How?

Is FEAR retro yet?

This is the time for you to learn speed tech and get the most mileage out of those games. It's particularly fun in Hexen 2 because they had to have a higher speed cap for things like the boots of speed.

That's been released for a while. It's on 1.45a right now but due to update again soon.

Not in vanilla, but certain source ports add one. That's an option in GZDoom which originated from ZDoomGL, and yes, it's really convenient.

Unreal has a dodge. Not great for getting from point A to point B faster, but it's cool in fights and works for any platforming you might do.

Aye, thanks

In 5-10 years maybe

Started playing Unreal, got into the mines so far. I feel like I'm missing something - the AI is pretty great and it's refreshing to see them move around and dodge your attacks intelligently, but the overall gameplay and level design feels like rather tedious. Does it get better further down the line or should I move on to something else?

Finished it some time ago, don't quit on Terraniux, those shitty shield enemies aren't around for many levels outside of those few, it does get more fun once you get a few more guns in your arsenal but there's a few part that just aren't fun to play latter on like that one level in almost total darkness that's filled with RL wielding enemies.

THATS RIGHT
GUTS IS DOOM
BLOOD AAAAAND GUTS

BJ, Doomguy and Keen are all the ancestors of Guts, it's the same timeline

Pre Bethesda BJ I assume

That wad was made by the dude with the crazy mutating cow/lamb videos.

Because otherwise Guts is a Jew.

Berserk takes place in the future? I should reread the manga.

The game is more about exploration/engine tech than anything so if the environments aren't doing anything for you then you're probably not going to get much out of it. The weapons are worth seeing, especially if you're not familiar with them already from UT.

Nice. It's on GOG now.

I meant descendants, fuck

Of course

I thought the Unreal level design was great aside from the the Skaarj spaceship levels, and fortunately there aren't too many of them.

That level isn't so bad, because you should know where you need to go. If you go the fastest route you only have to fight two or three.

It's alright, time is a loop anyway.

For me it wasn't a screwed, unless you don't count Extra Crispy which was meant for multiplayer

The levels minus the ones with stealth section and the fucking Colombia are decent and sometimes I like the AI, but gun handling is screwed, and Raven managed to fuck up grenades. The main assault rifles are shitty to handle even with the gun inaccuracy off, thanks to the "simulated" recoil game provides. There's probably way to remove it in console, haven't got any luck with that. The fucking grenade system was a step down from the first one. I could probably bear that you need to lower your gun to throw it, but the fact you need to select your grenade and holster your damn weapon is an inconvenience at best and a fucking liability at worst and even then their effectiveness isn't that great since you take a year to cook the grenade without them trying to throw it back or away.

I'll play Quake Champions when it's got F2P tbh fam

Guess its time I make a comeback.
PREPARE FOR FUCKING DESCENT, FAGGOTS
mega.nz/#!J35W3I6Q!1cNH_A-9rg9CRTSLVfpDZz0ThegleUZhhV3cqh52z78 Descent 1 with DXRebirth
mega.nz/#!o6xHXCYT!Fat397TU6iq7mb-yp3J7RQgxTB2yi6F8X9Ru8vi-z0o Descent 2 with DXRebirth

Its 6DOF baby. Think Doom but in every direction. It was made by Parallax (who half of which would split into Volition) and published by Interplay.
A sourceport made for the two games that allow shit like a gentleman's resolution and support for modern gamepads as well as M+KB
You bet your goddamn ass there is multiplayer. Not very lively now, so set up a server, get some anons, and get playing.
>Where can I buy this?
You can't. Interplay fucked up and didn't pay the right people when it was up on digital storefronts, so you pretty much can't anymore unless you hunt down an original copy, and then you gotta get shit working. Just use the links, faggot.
Stop being a fucking pussy.
Well, if you need more direct action, there's Descent 3. Its not as good, but its something if you need it. There's also the Freespace games which, while not the exact same, is by Volition, half the team that made these. There's also three 'spiritual successors' that are coming around so look out for those I guess.
Well there's three main ones. Descent: Underground, made by a bunch of fans who got the license from Interplay that's apparently recreating the multiplayer but its Early Access and apparently sucks dick. There's Overload, a more true single-player spiritual successor by some of the original Parallax devs that is closer to the originals with closed enviornments, lots of weapons, shit to shoot, and all that stuff, but its also in Early Access. Then there's Sol Contingency, a game by some former Interplay devs that was originally gonna be a remake of the original, but now seems to be a new affair with a multiplayer focus and a demo out there if you care sol-contingency.com/builds/Sol_Contingency_PG_Install_1.0.exe .

NOW ITS TIME TO PLAY SOME MOTHERFUCKIN' DESCENT

top tier pasta user
I'll play it right now

Yeah, what said. Do you ever host?

Can confirm, even the 3 bucks I spent on the bundle to get it is too much for that thing

Is there anything like DXRebirth but for Descent 3?

There's also Sublevel Zero, an indie early access Descent clone that's a roguelite. It wasn't great, last time I tried it, but that was a few years ago.

Also speaking of 6DOF shooters, any way to play Forsaken on modern PCs that doesn't involve using the sourceport that lacks music or emulating the console versions?
afaik using the original version isn't an option either.

Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion on it, but there's a minuscule chance they made it actually good by now. It's on gog, so pirating it is ridiculously easy.

where can i get just the DXRebirth?
Also worth mentioning there's the Aquanox trilogy,basically Descent underwater

Cheers, user

Thank you, I was kicking myself for forgetting to download Descent 2 the last time you posted this

If there are any mapper anons, I need your help.
I'm working on a uni assignment and I need a dozen freedoom2.wad compatible flat maps with no sprite decorations, pickups, doors and enemies, just barebones corridors and rooms. Could somebody fire up Slade and churn out some of this stuff?

You keep that jew's name and Guts out of the same sentence, creep.

I remember being a naive and innocent kiddo at a Gateway store with my parents when they were looking for a computer. It was late at night and while they talked with an employee I gazed up at the original Aliens vs Predator in awe. It was terrifying for the few minutes I played until we left.

I asked for it that Christmas and my folks got a Dell.

I nearly pissed myself and freaked out all through that week trying to make it through the game, I was already terrified of the movie Aliens which I saw at a friends house (I wasn't allowed near anything that violent) and it was some miracle or mishap my parents didn't catch what Aliens vs Predator was.

I always played it at night too when my family was asleep which didn't help. The winter wind would be howling, and I had to summon all my courage many a time to go down one more hallway or explore a blip pinging nearby.

Gawd I fucking hate you Aliens vs Predator, I love and despise you.

How many players max? Maybe we should do an off-weekend.

Does this include the CD soundtracks?

Not as far as I know, probably because its on a different engine or some shit.

I don't personally since my internet sucks dick but I occasionally like to join ones I see hosted.

Color me intrigued. I also remember playing something similar, I think it was one of the Colony Wars games and I vaguely remember liking it. I think it was vengeance

It does have the music, I don't think it has the soundtrack separately though.

IIRC, 16 is the max

Oh, and since I forgot to answer, its not hard to find if ya look for it online.

I don't know whether the MEGA link contains the DXX-Rebirth installer, but it allows you to pick which soundtrack (SC-55, OPL3, AWE32, Redbook) you want to install for both Descent 1 and 2, on top of some other things: dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/user/afuturepilot/download.php

Note that it installs an older version of DXX-Rebirth, you'll have to get the newest one from the main website and copy its files to wherever you just installed it. The newest version makes homing missiles in Descent 1 actually behave as intended so they're considerably less anal now.

I actually had it all bundled up with it pre-installed, but that's neat. I should probably update the zips in Mega links to 0.6 now that I think on it

just make sure to be careful when running it on anything past Win7,issues may vary

Das a noice music man

I would totally be up for a gamenight. I tried introducing it to normalfags but they couldn't stomach the graphics. And multiplayer was dead last I checked. Anons are the only people left that I know would be up for playing.

Playing through the first 5 or so levels of D1, not gonna lie the level design is kinda shit so far, hopefully it gets better

Oh boy, come back to us with your thoughts after you have finished level 6.

GOD, FUCK THESE HITSCANNING NIGGERS

Is it possible to program Doom enemies to do a specific thing upon being seen by the player? That'd make for some neat behavior.

(checked)
Seems so: zdoom.org/wiki/A_JumpIfInTargetLOS
If it should be a once only thing then you need to give this monster a item so that it doesn't do the jump anymore when it changed its state.

Neat!

it's just the game OST
Also in case anyone is interested
Descent OST+Extras
volafile.org/get/5z7HxWJqMJZi/descent_goodies.7z
Aquanox OST+Extras
volafile.org/get/5z2yAqtX3I1a/AquanoxExtras.rar

What level is that in second pic? I don't remember that.
Are there any WW2 doom wads preferably playing as the good guys? If not I'll take anything.

Bumping one last tme before bed with game suggestion

I still remember downloading the Eradicator demo from happypuppy and playing the shit out of it. I dug that little RC car you could deploy.

There was another demo of a first-person RPG-lite game I got from happypuppy that I've been trying to remember the name of for years, it looked similar to Elder Scrolls and had skeletons and red potions and shit. There may have also been grid-based inventory management or I'm just remembering it wrong.

Ken Silverman released the BUILD2 engine which he worked on at a summer camp to teach programming to children.
advsys.net/ken/buildsrc/build2.htm

Jewtube video with a demo:
youtube.com/watch?v=3qtmkkdND6M

Unrelated, but I remember a few years back on 4chan, a guy claiming to have created the first instance of jumping in Doom. I can't remember exactly how he said he did it, but the technique involved using some value for explosions that launch you vertically.
Fixed 'FPS games' to 'Doom'

Shut up, dickwad

Look's bretty cool. I'll just wait until someone makes yet another slightly inaccurate Blood sourceport for the 40th time out of this.

that's actually really neat.

Care to elaborate?

delete pixiv

Cyriak. If you've played Going Down you'll recognise this track, all the music in the wad is his own.

I wish Cyriak would release an album or something, I like his music.

Play Strife you fruitboys.

I remember people saying that Half-Life was the "thinking man's FPS" as recently as 2013.

In fairness all enemies have a slight delay before they act on wake-up. Except on Nightmare! difficulty but that is deliberately unfair.

Don't delete Pixiv. Best Doom artist.

Wow.

wad

Today I found out where that one WebM came from (Doom Hack) and made the effort to try it. Couldn't get too far into it since MAP03 has too much stuff in it and it becomes a slideshow, no real loss. Besides that I'm taking a break from hand-made and seeing what OBLIGE can do. It's pretty damn good for a randomized level maker.

Speaking of which, you could probably just do it yourself with SLIGE/OBLIGE and use -skill 0 to disable everything but the player starts. What the heck is that even for?

Great isn't it?

I don't get Hexen, just four weapons per class. You spend 90% of the game using the base weapon because ammo is scarce and it takes forever to find a new weapon. Also, thanks to the HUB map format and key hunting you backtrack all the fucking time.
Hexen 2 is even worse at that, I mean, mandatory secret hunting? What kind of bullshit is that?

Maybe today wasn't the best day to host a gamenight.

the online level editing looks fun, i want a kens labyrinth 2

Hexen is better if you just turn on the infinite ammo hack and pretend its a "fix" for the game.

Was Heretic II decent? I only played the demo about 20 years ago and the amount of work required to make it work on recent systems seems to be too much to even bother.

Attached: h2_demo_us.jpg (1600x1200, 166.65K)

Did you even read the thread title you motherfucker?Do you even know what 'FPS' stands for?

Attached: 1458443979843.gif (500x363, 283.96K)

I'd have to compile the tools first, and under Fedora hunting down all the package dependencies is quite a pain in the ass. Figured I'd ask for help before wasting time on that.
Uni project on computer vision, using bare bones maps makes things much easier for me.

You could also open up the maps OBLIGE generates into GZDoom Builder and then remove all monsters by basically highlighting them all and pressing delete.

This game is so underrated. The levels are so cool-looking and the hub towns are comfy as fuck.
Why do all the good devs have to die?
Also, does somebody know if Strife: Veteran Edition gave credit to the guy who reverse-engineered the game originally to run on modern sourceports? I like Night Dive for remastering old FPS games like this and the Turok games but I'm curious to know if they give credit where it's due.

Nah Hexen has plenty of mana kicking around. Hexen II is stingier though especially for mana-hungry classes like the Necromancer. Paladin and Crusader have it way easier.

It's alright. Somewhat iffy controls in places but some of the weapons are really cool. But yeah not technically belonging to this thread it controls a bit more like Tomb Raider with actual action.

Fedora should have the ones you need. Current Debian does I just built OBLIGE literally yesterday. For what you're doing is Doom's primitive visuals even acceptable for what you're trying to do?

Since you answered the other user about Heretic 2, is Hexen 2 worth playing? It looks fun but knowing hexen I'd imagine there'd be a fuckton of switch hunting. Is it better or worse than the first game in that regard?

I'd say it's worth a try. However if you thought Hexen switch hunts were bad, oh boy. In Hexen II the overarching goal is usually finding key items but finding your way around sometimes requires finding tiny switches or secret walls. It gets particularly obnoxious in the third hub. The expansion episode is good at avoiding that sort of garbage thankfully but I won't hold it against you if you have to resort to a FAQ now and again for the base game. This is the game for obsessively destroying all breakable objects.

Beyond that there's balance issues. I advise playing Crusader if you feel like giving it a try since he has a great weapon selection (ice staff is weak but when tomed it is god-tier) and level-up abilities. Paladin is solid too. If you're playing the expansion the new character works great. Avoid the other 2 since their early game is suffering and the Necromancer has some serious mana issues. All classes except Necromancer will default to their 4th weapon once they get it with a few exceptions. For whatever reason the necro's raven staff has mana consumption typical of the first game's 4th weapon but it's weak.

There is a barebones RPG system, where killing enemies gives you exp and level-ups add to your max HP/mana and stats. It's all automatic thankfully and some only of marginal benefit. The major gain is at level 3 and 6 where your class gets a specific ability I'll just direct you to the manual for those, but the weakest ones belong to the assassin since they don't work with the game style.

Also if you've ever used Quake speed tech it's even more ridiculous in Hexen II. The speedrun of the game is pretty great.

Attached: Lorcán Doom2 MAP05.webm (960x720, 8.56M)

On one hand I'm glad it keeps some third party from digging up its corpse and "re-imagining" it for modern audiences, on the other hand it's also the reason we will likely never see a proper sourceport.

if it's been 10+ years and there still hasn't been one,it's safe to say that they don't intend to do so ever

Speaking of Blood, there are so many of those fucking Blood ports to Zdoom nowadays. This one looks to be the most accurate to original Blood out of all the Zdoom ports even though it will never be 100% accurate.

Are there any info pics for recommended FPS games?

Attached: 29932176-2212-4AA7-979F-2C651EA74D1B.jpeg (736x1085 760.33 KB, 179.42K)

anyone mind uploading the GOG installer for Eradicator?

Cute

Not quite what you're looking for, but relevant nonetheless. Infographic of the currently best Doom2 player in UV Max.

Attached: cyberdemon531.jpg (2000x4000, 2.54M)

i felt like i was going fucking crazy looking at this user

To be honest, it would be a more of an achievement if he wasn't beating 16 year old times latest Compet-N entry in that category for Doom2.wad and someone actually had interest in doing d2all maxes.

How are you supposed to play Blood? The only way that seems to work is to slowly crawl across the maps, doing backdtracking after entering a room, running away after using TNT/flaregun/whatever.

It doesn't really feel like an "action" game.

she*

I think at this point she literally has double D breasts after being on the meme juice for only 6 months.

She has the Doom 2, TNT and Plutonia world records.

If you were bothered to be fair to her accomplishments, you'd see her game is really good.

Looks pretty weaksauce and would fall instantly to any real competition. Not an ideal game for a 100% category either.

Attached: 86676faeda4549ec3308463e8523844858b55cd6ffedd8366b63bd4253a7e2ae.png (978x1135, 606.62K)

All I have is these ones from cuck/vr/. They're probably dated, and the Duke one suggests fucking purchasing Duke Nukem 3d: 20th World Tour Anniversary.

Oh fuck off you faggot. Nobody wants to hear your narcissistic gloating. Speedrunning is the second stupidest shit about this hobby, right next to the fucking dead multiplayer. Cuck/vr/ thinks you're me for whatever fucking reason, making me hate you even more.

Attached: Quake.png (1543x2581 3.41 MB, 843.44K)

Attached: FPS.jpg (2934x2352, 2.64M)

It's mostly good until you get to "okay" tier, I feel like some of the games there are too low like SS2 and some are too high, like Homefront.

Seriously though how the fuck are Threewave CTF and Clan Arena mods not on the damn Quake chart? There should be a blurb about that under multiplayer as well as something about Zoid and QuakeWorld. ideally there would be a link to download a registered copy of the Qizmo Quake proxy too since it helps internet play

Did you even read the pic? It doesn't suggest so. And it probably was made before World Tour Anniversary came out, because the pic still mentions Megaton Edition which was removed after World Tour came out.

Original ROTT goes to good, remake to OK. Wolfenstein 3D goes to good.

Attached: 1460471015224.jpg (800x768, 195.42K)

Wolfenstein 3D shouldn't be on the list at all.
It's historically significant and interesting, but it's very primitive and repetitive. It's effectively a Doom prototype.

((((You)))) are shit tier.

turok's always been pretty shit. the levels are just garbage.

The 2008 one is in shit-tier not the others.

The non-100% items ratings are due to bugs as explained by the runner themselves (the areas are the same in multiplayer as in solo, but some of them are only reachable in the former case), but to know that would require actually not wanting to dismiss their accomplishments for no good reason and not being biased.

Everything you've said is unfounded until now, so I don't know buddy. Why don't you give it a try?

Jesus Christ, you're fucking pathetic.

Attached: laughing korean man.jpg (304x244, 47.38K)

I too can find a game with near no recent run and shove a 1hr improvements down the previous holder throat doesn't actually make me good at the game, just better than the previous guy.

This list was made by a faggot

this idiot has been shilling this tranny in every single doom or retrofps thread these days, thinks that abomination is hot shit and we should care about it because "it defined what doom really is!!11" or some shit like that

Holy shit, it's like a trifecta of faggotry. Where's John Numbers when you need him?

Funnily enough that tranny got banned from ADGQ for shitting on other trannies.

It's pretty fucking obvious that it's the tranny himself that's doing it. It'd be funny to think that there's some autist out there who wants to fuck this psycho fucker, but that's just not true, unless we're talking Buffalo Bill style.

this tranny is also a friend of britbong, the only thing that is interesting on his channel are the videos of the tranny BTFO'ing some pedos on stream

I'm aware that sort of issue can happen on a couple of levels due to secret sector placement behind teleporters (Industrial Zone), or presence of multiple computer area maps (Monster Condo) but this is not one of them and that run is invalid.

I don't need to lay an egg to be able to smell a bad one. Besides what says.

Attached: 300%.png (960x720, 98.69K)

I really liked that level

Attached: SoF15.webm (1280x720, 15.9M)

What about Descent 3 and Freespace games?
Freespace totally counts as a retro fps

That last guy dying,that was discomforting.

Yeah there's a few death animations like that.

Doom 2 is only like the most iconic FPS of all time with some of the most skilled players to have ever played competitively, but, you know what, your argument makes sense.

She got banned because someone else put a maga hat on her head, which you will be able to verify by watching the live stream.

Attached: she.webm (720x480, 815.21K)

Doom 2 being iconic doesn't actually mean there's a lot of competing runners on full WAD runs, most of the leaderboards are 1-4 name longs if they're not empty
I mean you don't have to take my word for it
You can also look at the few category that fature Cyber and other current and active runner like ZeroMaster and Cubeface, granted ZeroMaster is basically god so it's kinda hard to compete.

I believe Freespace has its own separate sourceport and shit. Descent 3 doesn't have one as far as I know.

I don't see "I've grinded the routes that were here for more than twenty damn years" being worthy of boasting about, especially considering how the rest of runners are fine with just being at the top of IL tables.

That's literally what speedrunning is derivative of : the exploits accumulated by previous generations of runners.

It's like saying : oh, chess is easy, because they're just "playing the same plays that were here for more than 1200 damn years".

That's how retarded you sound right now. I hope you realize that.

Do you when the 100m record (female) was set? 1988. That's 20 years ago.

From which you will hopefully be able to derive that the year in which a record was set has no bearing.

Nothing is going to change the presence of that Y chromosome.

Maybe this is not entirely the right thread to ask, but AMID EVIL just got released on Early Access. Does anyone have a torrent link?

you're so paranoiac about it, you don't even realize what you're replying to or in fact what is being discussed at all.

How are you supposed to play Blood? The only way that seems to work is to slowly crawl across the maps, doing backdtracking after entering a room, running away after using TNT/flaregun/whatever.

It doesn't really feel like an "action" game.

Well, at least you're starting to recognize it's not female. Now, stop shitting up the thread with your e-celeb faggotry.

The "100m record (female)" was established by a female, born female and otherwise female in every sense of the term that your pea-sized brain can make sense of and comprehend.

You brought up the female record as if that is what cyber would be competing for, which would be false, because he isn't a girl.

Let's get back to talking about old FPS games. What do you guys think of SiN? I think it's a pretty underrated game but even the GOG version can be a real bitch to get running properly.

UV MAX IS DOGSHIT
'FUUUUUCKING DOGSHIIIIIIIT

Attached: ENTERING THE DISGUST PLANE.jpg (1280x1080, 389.21K)

Does Hellbreaker count? I've been having fun with that one.

Was that the game made by one of the /agdg/ anons? Or am I remembering it wrong?

I couldnt get it to run properly like 10 years ago even, I have no clue what sort of spit and glue they used to stick that thing together but it ain't holding no more.

What's the consensus on Ion Maiden, is it everything it looks cracked up to be so far? Have to say I'm tempted by it.

correct though it feels incomplete in some areas

I can't even put my finger on why, but the first game is probably one of my favorite FPS titles of all time. It's a real shame it was completely overshadowed by Half-Life, since the level design and interactivity was damn fine for its time and the mission variety is rather impressive. Of course, it has some serious problems, mostly due to its overambitious nature and those fucking silenced sniper rifles. Unfortunately, I could never get the expansion pack to run on any of my computers and to this day, I'm still butthurt that the sequel flopped.

Wait a while, because there's no content.

I'm definitely interested to play it when it's released, I've seen gameplay videos of the preview and it looks pretty solid.

How so?

No.

awesome, thanks guys

In Speedrunning you get new ways to achieve better times all the time, embed related, the playing field is never even when comparing against runs that are years older than yours, especially when you're exclusively competing in unpopular categories.

Yeah, player that has been solving the same chess puzzle which has been solved for 750 years already and thus, interests so few he may as well be the only one who is interested in it, is certainly better chess player than the one who solves newer, trickier, unsolved puzzles.
"Beating the dead horse" is, probably, the most suitable expression to describe what he's doing, but giving him title of the best horseback rider for that? Not happening m8.

Speedrunning is never "solved" for this sort of game, because there's always improvements to be made. An exemplar of this is Quake's E4M5 which has the same route throughout all Quake Done Quick videos, originally 16 seconds. Quicker improved it to 12 through grenade jumping off several enemies. Quickest is ~8 seconds through addition of bunny hopping to preserve the damage boost speed.

Depends. It could indicate they were an absolute god that no one can measure up, or that nobody cares enough to try and beat it. It's the latter in this case. Seriously UV Max Run is too long and cluttered and few care to do it, like certain 100% Zelda runs. The real meat is the individual level runs or standard Run categories where you just try to finish the levels ASAP.

Attached: 1401784952605.jpg (576x832, 53.59K)

also brutaldood is shit for babbys
DemonSteele is real deal quality stuff you have katana and 5 lives git gud

Brutaldood is good
Just overrated and overtaken by journos and Reddit
Demonsteele is top tier stuff, agreed

I keep seeing Demonsteel recommend by v-tards, but it looks like shite tbh m8

Look up Final Doomer. It's all classes based around various Doom megawads but they don't go over the top and they are balanced for their respective wad. The class for the japanese megawad uses weeb-looking weapons and unsheathes a katana for his melee.

It's a neat mod that mostly translates DMC style gameplay to Doom, but feels a little off with odd controls and first person view.

Thanks, I liked what I saw.

Especially the animation for the sword draw back. Much better than DS, which doesn't even have one.

But, there's something odd still about the fighting animation from a first person view as the other user pointed out.

Are there mods for heretic/hexen to add minions? I wanna be a necromancer/demonologist.

The Wrath of Cronos mod has a necromancer class and I also think the cleric class has a summon as well. The downloads for it are all dead in the zdoom forum thread though, i'm uploading all the wads I have for it to vola right now I'll link when it's done.

There's also a mod that combines the weapons in the mod heXercise with the Wrath of Cronos mod, the download for that is still up though
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45036

volafile.org/get/6pYyA-NaTKzW/cronos.7z

fuck off cyberdemon

Trying to make mods for this game is suffering. Want to replace the game's upgrade system with something more interesting? Well the MAP14 transmitter's here to shit on you from the greatest height possible.

So Pillowblaster is still working on Guncaster inb4 autistic screeching about furry

Speaking of Doom mods, I'm waiting for first-person Wario Land to be playable.

I'm curious about the DoomRL support considering I can't get it to work post-GZ 2.1.1

Hmm? You mean the DoomRL mod or support for it with Guncaster? Because I can at least boot the latest DoomRL weapon set on a somewhat recent Git build. Haven't played it very far it was just a test yesterday.

That one though, has been like pulling teeth for whoever took it over.

Was talking about DoomRL Arsenal yeah.

What's the recommended Quake sourceport?
Or should I just run it in DOSBOX?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (288x334, 129.05K)

Quakespasm is pretty good if you want a vanilla-like experience on modern systems with high resolution. It also works nicely with Quakeinjector, so installing custom maps will be easy.

Well yeah I tried it a bit further and the weapon side of it loads on current Git but shows quite a few warnings on startup so it may not be reliable. Try at your risk.

ezquake

Wow thanks user I was having heaps of fun with this. I don't like how you can only have one summon up at a time. Is it meant to work like that? Kinda defeats the purpose of having multiple summon spells which you unlok incrementally if you can only use one at a time.

are all you doombabbies always this whiny?

did you really have no better bait to use than this?

Attached: b83.png (680x380, 257.6K)

Oh, I was looking around and apparently one of the later patches actually changes this! Does anyone have 1.8a handy?

allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/wads.php?name=cronos&order=date_desc
I actually found a wrath of cronos 2 here but I cant' see any documentation about it, and it doesn't load in gzdoom. What gives?

The original author vanished and some other guy took over. In the ZDoom forum thread for it he's having difficulty with GZDoom compatibility and not sure why.

Attached: 52882200 - DOOM.png (1266x680, 881.79K)

Oh, so I should just run it through zandronum or something?

No it's just newer GZDoom versions. I don't know what the cutoff is since I can't be bothered to check. I was sort of interested in the mod but not if I have to juggle versions of the game around.

Took the easy way out and started playing in hexen. This is so cool, I wish there were more games with this kind of fast paced shooting gameplay + necromancy.

If you're looking for something else to scratch your necro itch, there's a old as fuck Doom mod called Satanic. You have blood magic that you use to raise enemies, take their decapitated heads to use as grenades, summon ghosts, etc.

Pic related is from something called Satanic Redux which apparently is made by somebody unaffiliated with the mod's original makers.

Attached: jh63a8.png (640x480, 200.82K)

Any other oldfags remember this gem?

Attached: 41.jpg (474x355 35.84 KB, 30.59K)

That's not what the Dunning-Kruger paper actually found, you pop-science article reading fuck.

Attached: Dunning-Kruger.png (770x464, 21.58K)

Vanilla - Quakespasm
Mods and shit - Darkplaces or FitzQuake
Multiplayer - nQuake/EZQuake

Oh man I gotta check this Half Nuked shit out now. Looks pretty dope.

And you call other people gay

Good to see I'm not the only one that plays it. Still you need a proper gamepad to play this, flight stick is probably the best.

I get that most of them aren't that good or are out-right terrible, but come on if you are going to make a picture like that try to include everything. Still whoever made that has complete shit taste and that goes double for whoever saves that piece of crap.

This looks cool, thanks, seem like this one slipped past me.

He's…alright

Cool. Can I use it in hexen?

Trespasser is not a FPS. That's like saying Metroid prime is a FPS

I goofed.

Attached: douk goofem.webm (1280x720, 15.43M)

Rest in pieces, Dookie

Marathon had some sort of magic atmosphere to it though that made you fall in love.

God, you're fucking retarded.

If there's one thing I get sick of with mods, it's seeing ripped sprites everywhere. Just the nature of the beast I guess that it attracts more programmer and gameplay types than graphic artists.

He says without even bothering to correct him.

Those are some thick gears.

Attached: ac78123b9beeb3e5a58446ab727f0486.jpg (1500x1000, 1.23M)

This is not your sjw shit

He's referring to for the tranny post ya fuckwit.

How? What's your fuckin beef you sperglord?

Why's it so fun to make Doom levels?
Why do I feel like such a retard for spending half an hour trying to get a simple script to change a wall texture to work when all I had to do was load zcommon.acs at the start?

Attached: Builder_2018-03-18_21-13-59.png (791x486, 447.01K)

those look pretty neat, I've got a lot from the God and Great tier but have never heard of those

Might as well post this in case anyone is interested.

how can new games even compete?

Obligatory. Someone else can Hooktube it if they really want to but DF gets all their money from Patreon anyways and AFAIF they've done nothing wrong to not warrant support

that looks great, sign me the fuck u-
… hrm…

Don't know if anyone already knew by now, but GMOTA got updated a week ago.

It's telling when a mod that copies a game offers more content than the game it's based off of.

Shame the multiplayer servers are DEAD AS FUCK

damn, that looks great too.
also

I noticed the sequel is episodic but was cancelled after 1 episode. Does it feel like a complete game with an ending or will it leave me wanting more?

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (220x313, 147.69K)

I'm assuming I need a joystick, right? What are the options for purchasing and how expensive are we talking here?

You don't need a joystick, but I'd recommend playing with one. This game was one of the first games I owned and bought my first joystick specifically for it.

Quake and Doom have so many experienced Modders that all the new blood coming in with their game design degrees can't hope to compete.

it ends on a cliffhanger. you might BRIEFLY want more, then you'll forget about it and move on as we all have. after all, sometimes it's better for a series to stay dead, especially post Current Year, lest you end up with a Duke Forever or a NuMale'sDOOM.

cool, I just didn't want it to end on a soul crushing cliffhanger. Is it a game that's got replay value?

in FEAR does the trigger on the RPL sub machine gun stick a bit? Feel like when I let off the mouse it still fires just a bit.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1280x640, 1M)

Went looking for that one WAD with a lot of full brightness levels. It was just the Raven series ones, and yeah pretty mediocre but OK, fun to revisit. It also happened to have another level I wanted to find with a whole lot of blue keys, sadly they were just for show and not part of a choose your route approach to the level.

I'm getting the itch to try this again but I've never checked what editing tools exist for Linux. Strangely Doom Builder is open source but coded solely to Windows. Might also be fun to do one in WADED for old time's sake.

You can do funny tests with the SMG and the rifle, try to tap the fire, count how many shots you hear, how many tracers you see, and how many bullet hole decals you see. Then go and actually shoot a replica, and see what it looks like. It's really bizarre but I think with the submachine gun in particular, the sound effect for it is actually of two shots for every actual round.

not a whole lot in the way of replay value, there are hidden dopefish secrets to find in the levels; I can't recall if finding them does anything or not but either way dopefish is cool.

aside from the dopefish there actually are a decent amount of secrets and easter eggs for such a short game, there was a good secrets FAQ hosted on planetquake, and still accessible from archive.org:
web.archive.org/web/20090414125037/http://aeons.planetquake.gamespy.com/aeons-php/sin_emergence_faq.php

at the very least it's a nice game to come back to every couple of years and wonder what might have been had ritual not been bought out and made to develop casual games as MumboJumbo instead.

Attached: GamesElexis.jpg (425x640 81.86 KB, 93.67K)

With the sourceport, you can use a joystick if you really want, but M+KB is also an option as well as just using a controller. I've gotten it working using a cheapo Logitech controller

That makes sense, I had to do the directinput fix to unlock the framerate so I was hoping that didn’t mess with the game.

also, kind of a silly question but does anyone know a solid mouse pad? been playing a lot of FPS games recently and I'd like something comfortable for my wrist.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (383x500, 305.43K)

Any of you fags ever play Kiss Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child?
It was a really fun fucking game where you got to play as members of Kiss. Each one had their own campaign and unique melee weapon. The game played a lot like Serious Sam but with a spoopi atmosphere and monsters. So I guess kinda like Painkiller, before Painkiller.

I remember the first time I shot a guy in the dick while he was pissing. It was the most next level shit back then - blew my mind.

Attached: kiss1.jpg (1024x768 99.96 KB, 131.83K)

I have a physical copy of KPC:TNC, and a pirate copy of the Collector's Edition which I'm pretty sure is exactly the fucking same as far as the game data goes.

I really need to go back and finish it, I put it on hold so I could play it with Aureal A3D sound, but I'm still no closer to having the room for a retro win98 box to actually pull the Aureal Vortex card out of storage. That will be the time to revisit WON.net versions of Half-Life 1 and its expansions to experience that sweet sweet A3D with some good headphones.

Attached: 3983-kiss-psycho-circus-the-nightmare-child-collector-s-edition-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x965, 105.51K)

some relevant trivia, the first time that John Romero's almost entire Daikatana dev crew walked out on him I say first time because of course it happened more than once, this is the game that resulted from that first defection to GOD Games.

Attached: Daikatana_PC_045-1.png (1024x768, 590.58K)

holy fuck am I having so much fun playing FEAR. Are the expansions worth playing? Also, I'm thinking about jumping to FEAR 2 after, but I haven't played it since I was a console kiddie, and back then I remember it playing good on the console… which may mean it's shit on PC considering most console shooters were toned down for the sticks. Can it even come close to the pace of FEAR 1?

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1080x1920, 2.48M)

Bump

Play the DLCs, Don't play FEAR 2 or F3AR, they're terrible and will make you lose hope in anything staying good.

There is one expansion which is worth playing. I forgot its name but its the one where you play as Point Man instead of some other team.

FEAR 2 is bad but not awful. I wouldn't recommend playing it if you liked FEAR 1.

gotcha, that's a shame but I can't say I'm surprised. I couldn't come close to beating FEAR 1 back in the day when I had it on the 360, yet I rushed through FEAR 2 so I figured that was the case. Still, the atmosphere and that rape boss fight were neat. At least I'll have the expansions to enjoy as I'm just about done with the first game. Maybe I'll knock out the first condemned game after those instead of FEAR 2.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1024x576, 870.95K)

Aaaand, just beat it. Been a long time since I played a 10/10 game.

wat are some essential fps games?

Attached: 1521347817886.jpg (229x250, 10.54K)

Depends on what you're looking for out of the genre.
I'd say Doom, Blood, FEAR are pretty essential.

you play doom first, then the build engine trilogy, then quake

half life, if you like the first one then go on in order of release

Are there any good wads for DOOM that involve monster hunting?

Attached: 178C2E72-05A5-4A38-94F1-4C32B459865B.jpeg (656x927, 196.81K)

Doom,
Duke Nukem 3D,
Blood/Shadow Warrior,
Quake,
Quake 2/3,
F.E.A.R.,
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.,
Painkiller,
Serious Sam The First/Second Encounter (Revolution),
Return to Castle Wolfenstein,
Call of Duty 1/2,
Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2/2142/Bad Company 2,
Descent 1/2 (Dx1/Dx2 Rebirth),
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy,
Unreal,
Unreal Tournament 99/2004

All the official expansions for duke nukem 3D were pretty shit and not worth paying for. For fucks sake the christmas one the first few levels were just the first few levels from episode 1 only with snow how lazy can you get