Hey Holla Forums asking this because hardware upgrading doesn't seem nearly as obvious as it used to be

hey Holla Forums asking this because hardware upgrading doesn't seem nearly as obvious as it used to be.
prices are so fucking weird right now and I'm not the best at comparing these hundreds of options when my current old/shitty motherboard costs more than (presumably) better options.
Something is up with my old Z77Ma motherboard since it doesn't work in really weird scenarios (like it won't run if my new more power efficient cpu fan is plugged in and it doesn't work with my old RAM anymore, even though it worked with it fine for the past 5 years.)

What is the motherboard (and possibly cpu if cheap enough) to buy right now? I'd like 4 RAM slots since RAM is so expensive right now and I want all of my 4x4 sticks of RAM to work.

based off what I've looked at, the B250M Mortar is the mATX to buy right now at 85$. But I wouldn't be surprised to find out through Holla Forums that it's not.

nevermind just found out the B250M doesn't even work with my cpu

Buy a console.

already got 2

I'm sorry to hear that.

I wouldn't even upgrade. get a classic console or something.

Figure $400-$500 for CPU, motherboard, and RAM. I don't know if I would bother with an 8 core CPU just yet. You can get Ryzen 5 and Kaby Lake i5 quads for around $200-$250. If the motherboard only has two slots, get 16GB DDR4 RAM, otherwise you might be okay for now with 8GB.

Yeah turns out if i upgrade id have to swap out my motherboard, RAM, and processor since theyre not compatible with anything new.
Whats a good combo?

If you wanna play Kingdom Come then don't bother with 8 cores since Cryengine is meant for strong single and dual cores.

There isn't even any reason to upgrade though.

Used i5 4790k and a z97 board. They aren't that old, still pretty good, and you can use the same RAM.

4690k*

I hope the cryptoniggers lose everything to bored Wall St. bankers playing around with their bonuses and Chinese whales.

Those cryptoniggers have been running the GPU market for months now… how are manufacturers not catching up? Do they just not want to make the most economical cards anymore, despite widespread demand?

Cryptoniggers will buy those too, and drive their prices up anyway.

Chip production takes a huge amount of time. They also don't want to shit out as many GPUs as possible because all shitcoins could shit themselves at any time and they'd be sitting on stacks of cards that nobody wants to buy. GPU prices could go back to normal in a year or a few more, but only if shitcoiners finally kill themselves.

If it came out after 2012 I literally cannot fucking play it and the upgrades I would need cost more than a console that can run a slightly more inferior version of the same game. Please tell me how that's economical and you're not just huffing your own ass fumes all day? I really don't get the PC master race meme. Where even are the fucking exclusives? A shitload of the games that can be modded aren't games I'd really want to dick with in the first place. It just isn't cost efficient to upgrade the old toaster.

If you want to upgrade i suggest you to re-use some of your components(PSU, Case, HDD) and move to Ryzen since it's the best "bang for your buck" option right now.

You will need to get a new Motherboard(b350 $100ish), DDR4($100ish) and CPU($200ish for a Ryzen 1600), there is no reason for you to buy a new vidcard since your 960 will do just fine for 1080p/60 FPS/High gaming.

Manufacturers don't want to commit billion dollar investments for expanded production due to memecoin mining, so they'll only ramp up slowly.

Miners, literally not even once.
And don't get me started on ram.

Aren't all the ryzen cores the same? If so and op doesn't need 6-8 cores then wouldn't the 1300X be adequate as long as he pairs it with B350 mobo for overclocking?

We came full circle holy shit.

Shitcoiners- ruining it for everyone.

Building a pc and not sure which OS to get. Is Windows 7 still the standard or have one of the new versions not turned out to be crap? Not really looking to get Linux.

I'm using Windows 7 and it works OK.

If you want Windows then go with the latest Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. Microsoft already anounced it's not going to have fucking feature updates for an entire year.

shoo shoo amd shill

Intel shilling tactics sure are getting advanced nowadays.

Why the fuck are you using it instead of windows 7?

Seconding this, if you must use windows at least get 10 enterprise edition for the same reasons you take took ultimate when you went for win 7 back then

muh directx12

im assuming

just use w10 for gaming and nothing else and you should be fine then so long as you install gentoo

Only go for 7 if you have more than 4GB ram
If it's a weaker PC for retro gaming stick with 32-bit XP.

GTFO with that reddit image :^)

If you're thinking of spending hundreds of dollars to be able to play new video games it's time to get a more productive hobby.

i don't have to read anything else past that and i can already tell you that you fucked up

Because spending thousands on vehicles is a lot more productive and less expensive hobby.
Gaming is pretty cheap compared to a lot of other hobbies.

You have very poor reading comprehension. Are you a nigger?

Oh, the future is fucked up, user.
Got my Ryzen 5 1600 exactly 7 days ago. I've formatted and installed games on my computer over 7 times, including 2 where I attempted to get to play in W7. In stress tests, I get 3% more fps, but on games, where drivers matter more, I get 5% more FPS or so. Other than that, some games just crash on start when using W7, looked online and found no fixes. People saying the Ryzen are better on W7 and that it works perfectly are all from 9 months to 1 year ago.
W10 fucking sucks, it's more unstable than Linux. Sound drivers suddenly fuck up(fixable), once it just randomly ceased to be able to upload anything anywhere, looked for tons of fixes, uninstalled lots of shit, nothing work, had to format my computer AGAIN.
And you can't remove all the botnet, I don't feel safe at all using this system.
I hope they fix wine soon, with the fuckfest and intentional perfomance decrease that microsoft has been adding I don't think it's hard for wine to run games better than W10 or W7 when using certain hardware.
But in this case OP is a total retard, his hardware would work perfectly in W7, in fact, way better than W10 ever will.

Sorry, I meant that I get 3% more fps in stress tests using W7 and ~4% more fps in games using W10.
My GPU is a GTX 1060 6GB, which runs perfectly fine in W7 and has no problems with it.

you chose this

best case scenario would be when manufacturers finally give up and up the production, that way it would be a win scenario for normal users and gamers because when crypto crashes the prices of GPUs will be at the all time low

OP here on phone,
I do use both, win10 was free (heavily edited the registry)

Are we just talking shit like upgrades now? I guess I want in.
I'm worried my graphics card is gonna start dying soon, I've been noticing shit like models getting all weird during extended sessions. Considering how cold my drafty fucking house is it can't be overheating. I know it wont die on me soon but I feel like I should start shopping around for a replacement/upgrade. Are we due for a price drop or stock unloading soon?

Get off of Shintel. Post-Meltdown you don't want to touch it.

I guess it would help if I posted my toaster

I wouldn't recommend a 1300x because a 1200 can OC as much as the 1300x and the 1200 is cheaper.

If OP ONLY only wants to play vidya then he can get away with a 1200/2200g(both are enough to not bottleneck a 1050/1060) but my advice would be to invest into at least a 2400g for some productivity.

Win7 is the less shittier Windows but because Microsoft already killed all Win7 official support you will have to jump through some hops as a Win7 user.

Lots of people got memed by new gen CPU's and couldn't get Win7 due several reasons so they had no choice but to use NSA 10.

This is probably the worst time ever to buy a new GPU, just stick with your GPU and pray it works long enough for memecoin to die Soon™.

FX is known to run hot but not that hot unless you have some OC, check if your CPU's fan is not dusty and use a cheap case fan to throw some air directly to the VRM.

If you must buy a new GPU you can get a 1050/1050 ti for reasonable prices.

Could also be Intel's new chips only being compatible with Win10, unless I missed something. The parts suggested by pcpartpicker aren't compatible with W8.1, which is what I'm used to. I might switch over to Ryzen.

The prices are genuinely worse than prebuilts, too