The Majestic CRT

Through some odd combination of a vacuum tube and a means in which lines can be drawn on the inside of a super thick lighbulb powered by a deathly high voltage and lined with a toxic phosphor we've been given the gift of display technology of the 1900s. The mighty CRT is a technology that's been around since the 1800s, but used, aged, and refined for over 100 years into a display technology that works on the very foundation of our electrical infrastructure in order to spit images line by line at incredibly high speeds just to display it across a metal grating which filters electrons into a discernible image. It's a little fuzzy and in many ways has yet to be surpassed and is undeniably the definitive way to display games from older consoles that worked at standard definition and often below standard def. This way of portraying images became the defining aesthetic for video technology for years, and of course, video games.

Are you still using a CRT for games or are you looking to integrate one in to your setup? Are you looking to get into RGB on your old systems or tuning geometry or performing a recap? Whether you're emulating at 3840x240 60hz or 640x240 120hz, or just figuring out if it's worth getting into SCART or building your own BNC cables, lets talk about tubes and games on them.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-emission_display
avsforum.com/forum/64-direct-view-single-tube-crt-displays/1061724-unofficial-sony-gdm-fw900-thread.html
themultiformous.blogspot.com/2017/01/vinyl-is-bullshit-or-how-i-learned-to.html
teac.com.au/video/product-detail/hdb850-digital-set-top-box-with-usb-recording
amazon.com/Dell-Computer-Ultrasharp-U2415-24-0-Inch/dp/B00NZTKOQI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520902643&sr=8-4&keywords=16:10 Monitor&dpID=31Kxz2csoXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
diagramas.diagramasde.com/otros/ilo - DTV2794.PDF
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This has to be an elaborate false flag against genuine CRT appreciation.

No, that's too meta. Just talk about tubes and games on tubes.

What type of CRT is this?

As awesome as CRTs are, they keep dying and thus getting more difficult to obtain, especially in decent sizes and with proper screen quality.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a CRT experience with an OLED screen with a high enough pixel density? The individual red blue and green subpixels could be placed in CRT patterns I'd say.

if only Canon hadn't ruined SED screen development ;_;

looks like a Panasonic

CRTs are very hard to actually have "die." Unless you're destroying the tube the sets themselves are particularly modular provided you know what you're doing. Swapping boards, replacing capacitors, etc. It's a task to maintain them, but even the old vacuum tube non-transistorized sets are still running.

As far as using OLED to replicate it, I saw some interesting things in a VR client for emulation and it did a decent job at recreating a CRT within the environment with a slot mask type tube. It didn't look quite right and was reliant on emulation which has its caveats and flaws but it was a good effort and clearly there's room for getting that look better and better. I think achieving this on a software level is more feasible than a hardware level, the way the phosphor grill works on a CRT is something that can't really be replicated with OLED subpixels.

I'd be interested in what kind as it looks like it has a computer input option which is likely RGB.

It's true, I salvaged one that was left out during torrential rain once. I ended up giving it to my friend since I didn't have the space for it, but it worked just fine.

trying to use my 19" Trinitron monitor as little as i can until pic related becomes reality

Just adjust the G2 voltage and make sure those capacitors are healthy, you'll get a few decades out of it I'm sure. In my next PC build I'm gonna be upgrading to a 980 for graphics because it's the last and best GPU which has proper analog out. I'll be integrating an FD Trinitron that does 1600x1200 alongside a 10-bit flat panel. I think that'll be great. 4:3 to my right, 16:9 to my left, and absolute comfort with classic games and a few new ones too.

Never ever user.

So, I was finally able to get this beast hooked up to use as a monitor. And it was awful. It gave me a headache due to running it at 30hz. And trying to calibrate it left me realizing it bled colour horribly and also the blacks were as bad as a cheap LCD (hell the LCD TV I'm using as a monitor does blacks better).

Also I couldn't for my life get it to accept a ratio that fit the screen perfectly (and the damn thing wouldn't let me adjust the display setting)

At least it was free, I'll use it for my old consoles which shouldn't have the issues the computer had trying to output to it via HDMI.

16:9 HD CRTs just aren't very good. Get something older that's 4:3. Can't really go wrong with trinitron. The only good wide screen CRTs were pure monitors with no TV tuning capability.

It won't be too long before those that grew up with a CRT or even knows what it looks like become a vanishing minority in most western countries. It might already be the case for films projected on actual film rather than digitally.

I have a pretty high end CRT monitor that was designed for medical and satellite imaging but almost never use it. Same with the Sony 1080i 34" television that's collecting dust in a basement. I wouldn't be surprised if they're both never turned on again. Nobody I know wants to deal with a 120-200lb monster with ancient ports and a small screen size when a newer 4k 50" panel weighs almost nothing in comparison.

The thing is, that monitor you have is fantastic for standard definition images. The more people want to experience how the old games are supposed to look and less of pic related, there will be a niche audience for the old tubes. If you've been around conventions or old stores which has people playing games on them, when the kids see them they tend to have a sort of curiosity about the quality of the picture, and the older crowd that's still into them recognize that they are sort of essential.

How are early 2000s CRTs for emulated gaymen on GNU/Linux?
Is it possibru to force the Retroarch GUI to adapt the resolution of any running core?
For VGA purposes.

It might even be easier to output 640x480 120hz to a VGA CRT in Linux.

Oh it's this faggot again.

Ya dun goofed, user

What about sub-VGA Nintoddler meme resolutions?
I want the signal at 640x480 or lower in fullscreen instead of a 1024x768 fullscreen X Window displaying a 256x224 image like RA does on my current LCD.

There's a reason nobody uses them anymore, they're inferior to modern televisions. Technology continues to improve, to the disappointment of TV luddites.

fug, meant for

You tried.png

It depends on the crts operating frequency. A 31khz crt has a minimum frequency of 640x480 progressive scan at 60hz for a vertical refresh. You can do tricks like doing 640x240 at 120hz and most pc crts can do this just fine but I'm not sure how to force that in linux.

If they're so good, then why does nobody use them? It's really not complicated, user. TV hipsters chasing nostalgia you'll never find.

Noone uses them because they were shilled out of production eat power like a burger, are unsuitable for most portable devices and too hueg in comparison to the more versatile LCD, you paid baka.

Because they arbitrarily decided to stop making them. I would use them right now if I could find one.
Oh by the way technology for thin CRTs exists but since it's tied up in shitty patent laws or some shit we can't have them.

they were put out of production mostly because in the room you could fit one 32" CRT you could fit 5 32" flat panels. When you can break it down to cheaper to produce, cheaper to ship, cheaper to ship a lot of, you can make a disposable technology that despite being worse in every way, will take over.

SED isn't CRT, it's got similar principles and would have been highly competitive with LCD panels during the HDTV explosion.

Everything about modern technology is "cheaper" and most of it not in a good way. That old SNL skit about disposable electronic post-it note devices has come true in the worst possible way.

Nobody uses vinyl discs for music either and they have vastly superior audio quality over CDs. Digital audio is only catching up to analog in the past couple of years.

Being the most widely adopted technology has no bearing on its quality. It is a combination of price and convenience after you pass a baseline of performance/quality. CRTs have better quality than flat panels except for pixel density but they aren't cheap in the long run with energy prices as they are and are terribly inconvenient being heavy and big as they are.

on the contrary, year after year, Vinyl has gone up in sales by 30% since I think 2012. Stop taking the bait, by the way.

and that reason is you can only buy like 10,000 brand new units from Alibaba which also takes like 6-8mo to produce and deliver (not including sitting in customs).

nah.

Look at his moron try to throw around words he's heard before, like 'Luddite', but doesn't know the actual meaning. 100% nigger.

muh 50 kg television nostalgia

See for reasons.
Widescreen TVs are quite awful for classic vidya, and you're too milennial to understand that.

Widescreen LCDs I mean.
But yeah. My point still stands.

its not 2004 anymore user, Vinyl has already made its comeback years ago and only continues to gain more popularity.

the worst thing about flat panels is this.

Wrong ever since 2012 they have been selling more than CDs.

I was temporarily blinded when I was a kid because I spent too long playing Crash Bandicoot on a CRT. Anyone who thinks modern displays aren't superior for the simple reason that they don't irradiate your retinas is a retard.

Why does everyone think every CRT is 240p? I have like 5 CRT monitors that have a native resolution above 1600x1200.
The monitor I'm using right now is a 1920x1440 90hz Trinitron.

For most people LCD is fine, I'm just personally autistic about input lag in PC games and Want something that will last me more than 5 years.

Because retailers stopped carrying them as they were too heavy and took up too much space, despite the fact that they sold more CRTs than LCDs in the mid 2000s. Turns out storage is a major factor in determining if something will still be sold, another example is when McDonalds stopped selling milkshakes until the 90s because storing the icecream was far too expensive.

Since no retailers would buy them they just stopped producing them, despite the consumer demand for the. now it's been a whole generation and people just forgot about them as "shitty tube TVs" because all they ever used were 480i non-appeture grille consumer TVs watching VHS through RF.

emulating at 240p means you get a very authentic look.

Because they're using shitty consumer grade crts that have been stuck in the corner of a garage without being turned on in half a decade before being thrown into a thrift store and running RF/Composite into it.

Debate me.

Not without any incentive, twerp.

user

is that some sort of bait?

The model number is CTF-1465R

RGB through an EIAJ 8-Pin connection.
But there is an OAV user.

fug forgot to remove flag

is it digital RGB?

That would be my first guess but It is on a Panasonic so it could go either way. I will have to locate the manual and see if it mentions digital or analog.

I said another one user, besides the original one.

I'm genuinely curious if this was unironically posted to reddit.

What's a good model of CRT to look for if I want a smaller, lighter one? I have a 27" one (iirc) and while it's pretty great, it's a huge pain to move around.

good taste

masterful bait

I haven't a snowball's chance in hell of finding one, but I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks for the ID, user.

almost got me there

I have no doubt that what you posted is from Reddit.

damn thats sad, i remember playing tekken 3 with my friends when i was 10 years old

www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4cw5np/corsair_monitor_comparison/
Why do they all talk like this? It's like an entire site full of kids I bullied in HS.

>>>/cuckchan/

Still don't get why people prefer giving up video quality for a few miliseconds of latency. CRTs make games look bloody terrible, and the people that like the blur on CRTs remind me of the filterfags in emulator threads.
To be fair, guess I never got why people liked AA, either. Looks like someone rubbed vaseline over the screen.

looks better than emulation and flat panels. if you wanna see true shit plug your old systems into an lcd

Gr8 b8 m8
Maybe if you are using some crapola CRT TV, if you actually used CRT PC monitor for once it beats any fucking LCD, if you want CRT tier graphics you need to invest fortune into OLED display

Is there program that puts crt screenlines on the monitor? Kind of like how you can use crt screenline filters on a snes emulator and what not, but for whole screen like flux?

That is a copy of the US LD but I also have the Japanese LDs on that same shelf. I dropped the LD rips on /animu/ a few weeks ago.

Here they are again

Friend offered to give me a 17 inch CRT syncmaster. Dunno jack about it. Worth?

Yes, go for it. Having a monitor for games at a locked resolution like certain 2D games or playing low resolution 3D games like quake is a delight on a tube.

Fuck off back to reddit.

But is there anything that sets it apart from other CRT monitors? I can just go pick one up a bigger one at thrift If I want for $4.

not particularly. If you can get an NEC, Mitsubishi, Trinitron or Iiyama or other highly regarded sets, go for those instead.

Please don't do that.

Brown Rally or Blonde Rally?

Both at the same time atta range shooting on either side of you in a tight lane

My FW900 has convergence problems at 1900x1200, when I tweak for one side of the screen, chromabs happen on the opposite side. I wanna kms

the crazy thing is, my Diamondtron has convergence tweaking in menu for each corner of the screen, while the Trinitron doesn't

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

with people spouting such nonsense its no wonder that we have to fight so hard against the 'crt is a meme' meme.

you don't fight against shitposters, you pry at them until you can ruin their interests, absolute subversion before they can do it to you.

have you ran WinDAS and done any fine adjustments on it? This is a necessity for the FW900.

Are you saying that vinyl does not have superior audio quality over CDs?

My school had CTRs for their computers back in 2014 or something when I was still in highschool, a friend of mine once started to shake his monitor back and forth(the support allowed different angles towards your face) as a joke.
Suddenly it started to smoke and he stopped to see what was happening. Suddenly it caught on fire, everyone saw it and ran from the computer lab.
No one had seen the autistic act he just pulled so he didn't even get called to go anywhere because of it, it just became a fun story that me and another retard share.

today we learned a lesson not to fuck with old, fine pitch electronics which no doubt from years of similar treatment saw possible damage and was finally put over the edge
I'm getting old

Hi CRT-fags,
tell me if and when this will become a thing:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-emission_display
Each tube makes one subpixel which removes the limiting factor for resolution and Hz.

processing, blurriness, and lag, here we come.
if nothing happens by 2020, expect nothing and you'll be stuck in LCD hell for life.

Will I need the DTP-94? I don't own one. I did install Passmark's software and fiddled with it but the available options in the monitor's OSD are miniscule compared to what I was capable of achieving with the Diamontron.

I know a really competent guy who probably could take the monitor to his shop but he wasn't really willing and the thing's heavy. he told me to open up the monitor and do tweaking myself - I don't think I'm comfortable with that.

Does it matter with 240Hz?

the fw900 literally has a serial port inside, just below the power out, remove the panel and plug it into your PC and you can do all the fine adjustments with a mouse and keyboard in a nice application called WinDAS. Just don't put your mouth on the flyback or tear the probe off or something. This will prolong the life of your tube. I think you can even use a usb adapter if you don't have a serial connection.

wow, thanks. I guess I could find tutorials on HardForum? Unless you have any handy tutorials, which would be much appreciated.

avsforum.com/forum/64-direct-view-single-tube-crt-displays/1061724-unofficial-sony-gdm-fw900-thread.html
feel free to make an account and ask any questions you might have.

noic. Gonna have a weekend or longer project then.

Will you mind me asking another question?
When I turn on the monitor, its brightness is much higher than expected. After ~15 minutes the brightness becomes normal. I guess it isn't dying but have you heard of such a symptom?

it's a few things but the fw900 in particular has a higher G2 voltage than it should. All CRTs however require a warming period of anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour before the picture is considered to spec and has settled. It's normal, but the FW900 in particular has a few issues which can all be sorted through that serial connection. You might be familiar with some electronics or hardware in general having labels that they should be kept in a certain temperature, it's the same principle here. Sort of like how you should let your car warm up a little before going, especially in the winter.

Yeah, I get it but lemme tell ya… that Lacie Electron 22 IV really spoiled me. I didn't experience such quirks with it.

If it wasn't for that glorious 16:10 aspect ratio, it would still be my go-to.

I had an Electron 22 IV some time ago, I still miss it. Aging electronics show all kinds of issues, and because CRTs are analog they still power through the aging elements and you may for that reason see artifacts from those aged elements. If it was an LCD display, it probably just wouldn't turn on any more, at least it can be diagnosed visually.

nice

Because reddit has a shitty design that creates a positive feedback loop which leads to an echo chamber effect which leads to intense conformity. Echo chambers also isolate people from criticism and slowly warp normal guys with slight beta tendencies into whiny special snowflakes that cannot handle anything outside their comfort zone without losing their shit. I've seen it happen to people IRL and it is fucking tragic.

Mine is dying on me so I'm planing on throwing it out or giving it away to some other nerd and finding another one to myself.
I like electronics but I'm not savy enough to try and fix a tube TV. Plus the thing holds a lot of charge in it, or so I heard.

Served me well, this one. Though none of the pictures I took really do it justice.

2 questions.

1. Is it possible to get flat-screen CRT TV geometry perfect or should I just live with the slight warping?
2. What's the best way to adjust PCC? Should I go from the corners down or the middle up?

Is their a way to config VGA signals from pc into component without a separate converter? Good PC tubes are getting very rare here in my location.

I have a LCD TV that's last me over 7 years tbh

Help

it's not that hard. find a capacitor list, order good quality variants, crack it open, look up how to discharge, go to town.

you need a converter because component (y/pb/pr) is different from VGA (RGBHV) I don't know any good converters, sorry.

I'm sure you can fix it if you're feeling confident.

I've got the PVM-1390 variant of the set, I got it mostly because I love the design and I'm huge into beige for any sort of electronic.

I stuck my key in a plug at highschool and threw it clean across the room then had to do a test with my left hand because my whole right arm went numb, I could have fucking died.

CRTs are worse. a friend of a friend said he tried to fix a crt in the 90's when he was a VCR repairman & he said he shit his pants in the span of 3 seconds.
CRTs can fucking kill you.

that's why you discharge it. 25-45kv to the heart doesn't feel good.

Yes
themultiformous.blogspot.com/2017/01/vinyl-is-bullshit-or-how-i-learned-to.html

good to know all his information is based on the technology pre 1980s

LOL enjoy your eye cancer, nerds.

You posted an absolutely horrible example, though. Currents is brickwalled as fuck

You couldn't even get the whole post?

Third pic: Is that DVD hooked up to an external hard drive?

I say DVD, I meant the TV. Showcasing just how tech-illiterate I am there…

Holy fuck I LOVE radiation, eye pain, headaches, blurry images, and scanlines that can just be emulated. CRT FTW!

why not?

That was the whole post, when expanding it, only the line saying that the post was too long would be removed.

Strange.

Attached: 691624de229f418e49a3181f9697fc8dd44d8eec6264aed84bbf22f04cae85a1.jpg (867x1300, 139.4K)

Me too, I fucking love melting my eyes staring at blurry NES games.

144hz doesn't matter if every frame looks like this

Attached: when the lcd users pull up.jpg (552x129, 33K)

looks like some Teac brand DVR. I googled Teac DVR and saw this in the results, might be the exact same model hooked up to the ikegami tm14-18r.

Attached: teac-hd-dvr-set-top-box-hdr9650ts-0.jpg (425x260, 22.74K)

For those wondering this image is from blur blusters, they sell kits to boost the refresh rates on certain 4k monitors to 480Hz at 540p.

Found it

teac.com.au/video/product-detail/hdb850-digital-set-top-box-with-usb-recording

Attached: hdb850__large-hero.jpg (600x410, 12.89K)

I'm so glad that hasn't caught on yet. Watching 240p Horror movies on my CRT is the most comfortable thing imaginable.

Attached: comfy crt.jpg (1920x1080, 245.26K)

I've been wanting to pick up a CRT for emulation for some time now. How does this setup handle when some SNES and PS1 games go into 480p mode for menus and such? Downscaling?

Said no one ever.

snes and ps1 games use 480i mode. they'll do it exactly like they do at whatever resolution you're already using. Start up sonic 2 2-player mode to test it out now.

I want to go back to using a CRT but I don't have any room to put one.

get a nice 13-17" one. pro monitors are nice because they're cubes, so they act as additional storage space very neatly.

Absolutely. Playing classic stretched out on a LCD is annoying. Gotta play 'em the way God intended.

Ah, right. I forgot it's 480i, not p.

Time pick me up a CRT monitor.

how does one go around fixing this issue? the degaussing feature on my pvm-20m2mdu don't fix.

Attached: BAD_PVM.jpg (2784x2000, 3.86M)

Is there a pair of speakers on the sides? Thats the kind of discoloration you'd get from a magnet being in that area around the tube. Also try rotating the position the tube faces, the earths polarity can also cause interference.

PVM screens are not made for videogames, many games from the 90s need a regular CRT from that era to properly display certain stuff.

that's got nothing to do with the type of monitor, it's magnetic distortion in the bottom right causing that discoloration. I forgot how good 480p looked on a pro monitor.

Attached: P_20180312_143158.jpg (4656x2620 1.91 MB, 2.99M)

So what you’re telling me is that Meleefags were right all along?

no, they dont know anything about crt and just cling to the pvmeme and do shit like this and wonder "why is picture no good?" They just know the basic that CRT is essential for old games like melee.

Attached: the pvm experience.jpg (2160x2160, 1.15M)

you can tell it's the best version of THPS2 because of the grass. It's even better in 480p on a broadcast monitor.

Attached: P_20180312_152635.jpg (4656x2620, 3.07M)

Does this monitor work with current games? And where can I find this cheap? Does any third world country still sell it?

its 16:10, yeah it'll work with modern games. They aren't very common unfortunately.

any crt's that are awesome for gaming? Preferably at least 720p?

I don't have any magnets or speakers next to the monitor, except for the one built-in the PVM. the discoloration is exactly the same no matter where the monitor is located in my room

xbr960 or multiformat monitors

You were right, I can't find any. What recommendation would you give for a LED 16:10 monitor?

Found this.

Dell Computer Ultrasharp U2415 24.0-Inch Screen LED Monitor

amazon.com/Dell-Computer-Ultrasharp-U2415-24-0-Inch/dp/B00NZTKOQI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520902643&sr=8-4&keywords=16:10 Monitor&dpID=31Kxz2csoXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Attached: 71aNs6r9f9L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 84.81K)

Dell monitors are generally very good. Keep in mind 16:10 support isn't great for games, but you'll have good results in probably 90% of games. Most games support 16:9 primarily as it's the most common aspect ratio today.

Naw

Attached: 894847AE-9813-4920-9568-3ED947516895.jpeg (4032x3024, 2.09M)

When was the last time you touched a modern TV user? 2005?

all wrong

Show me one CRT that consumes less energy than a modern flat panel, I dare you

kys shill

Enjoy having ghost images imprinted on your LEDs

Anyone else find it interesting how 99% of CRTfag photos look like they're in untidy poorfag hovels?

Attached: doubt.png (492x280, 85.03K)

CRTs weed out the weak soypeople. Flat panels are for weak children and vegans.

I very much doubt a CRT can blind you at all, I knew a girl who wanted to have glasses and would hold her face close to the TV all the time. Her vision's totally fine of course, the amount of radiation received from sitting in front of a CRT for a whole year is still less than what you receive from background radiation in a single day.

Attached: 02e2c6eafff07845f13cbb73c34b1979c8f2955e342d91492de7a3bd5868fd60.png (299x231, 67.44K)

I'm making a joke m8, also CRTs produce banana tier radiation.

If you need to keep your face close to a TV as a kid and use glasses, chances are you were born with shitty eyes.

WHERE DO I FIND A FUCKING COMPONENT INPUT CRTV? NOBODY FUCKING SELLS THEM GOD DAMN IT

silver ones made after the year 2000. sony wega, jvc i'art, panasonic tau, jvc theaterview SD, etc.

So I have an old laptop with a broken screen and I'm planning to remove it so I can plug that thing up to a CRT and use it as an emulation machine to play Genesis games. CRT screens are dirt cheap on my country anyway.

good luck, and try to set it to a 640x240 120hz mode this way you can get natural blank scanlines.

Where can I find information on fixing, safety and general maintenance for consumer sets? I have an ilo dtv2794b from 2007 and the horizontal linearity is fucked, as well as some other geometry. I've fucked around with the service menu and managed to kinda get it to where I want to, but the image seems fucked mostly on the right side of the screen, where vertical lines can look a bit crooked. I cannot fix the H. Linearity using the service menu and the image gets squished about 50% as it scrolls to the right. It's extremely annoying on 2D games. I know you can fuck around with the coil and fix it but it's apparently really delicate, and I kinda blame capacitors for the crooked lines but I'm not sure at all. I have the service manual if that helps.

diagramas.diagramasde.com/otros/ilo - DTV2794.PDF

you may largely be in the dark but you can try scouring the web for them or even directly contacting the manufacturer who may still have them. Ikegami has given me several schematics on request, but of course not all companies are the same. You may be stuck inspecting caps, replacing them on your own. Give yourself an afternoon. As far as safety goes, discharging is the one concern. CRTs have a ground shield on the front rim of the tube inside the chassis, just clip to that and pop the probe.

I was given a CRT along with a Windows 98 machine but it isn't very bright and has some burn-in. The native resolution is also pretty small too so it isn't good for GUI stuff. If only it works perfectly, then I wouldn't have to use an LCD monitor. Thankfully it is 4:3 though.

Attached: tmp_11728-12840349616421218900532163282543.jpg (600x663, 39.04K)

I wonder if GameCube games would look sharper on a CRT monitor running at 480p via Dolphin. I forgot how blurry these things were.

what game do you wanna see? I can load it up on my Panasonic BT-H1700p.

I got a VGA kit back in the day, and running it on my Apple Trinitron was about a zillion times sharper. Of course, only a handful of GCN titles actually supported p-scan, so for all the other 15khz bullshit I still had to use a TV (or my Mac's tuner).

Also, interesting fact: GCN's native video, no matter which output you used, was 4:2:2 chroma subsampled at the source. So when you use Dolphin, even at 640x480, the red and blue channels are both double the resolution of actual GCN hardware.

It might just be the ease of acquisition or inflated prices because internet, but I can't seem to find a Laserdisc under $10 anymore, and that's before shipping. I'm also used to not paying more than $5 for one, but that's local thrift shop prices. The most I spent was $40, one time, on a copy of CHUD.

If you're in the Midwest USA, fucking anywhere. I helped somebody move some WEGAs from a hotel that was under reno. Got five for free.

Attached: none_of_this_is_hooked_up_to_a_CRT.png (1920x1080, 2.19M)

Much appreciated dude. This guy is nuts, using a ungrounded pair of pliers. Can't he just slide the screwdriver in there? I'm a damn newfag with this shit so I'm not quite sure.

rally is a currynigger

His technique is far from perfect, and if you need a guide use like a plastic spatula to start the lift and slide the screw driver in from there. It's just something you shouldn't be afraid of.

A lot of GC games support 480p. I don't really know any games which can't at least be forced to it without issues in something like nintendon't.

lead by example

Half currynigger actually.

Nice thread. Finally I have an excuse to post this pic I took for no reason.

Attached: re2.jpg (1280x1024, 254.88K)