Older titles on steam

It appears that almost any older title that isn't very well known gets the shit end of the stick when it is just left to rot or becomes the worst possible way to play it. Both Dungeon Siege I & II have their expansions disabled, and Earth 2140 lacks It's AI system, which is apparently a major highlight of the game. There other titles like The Entente Gold that are slowly being lost to time as modern systems become incompatible as well. it's wierd looking at an older title game with mixed reviews and the criticisms aren't about the gameplay, but just complaints mentioned prior, that ultimately make piracy the best possible choice for such titles

The only outlier I know of is Original War. As far as I know, the reigns have been handed off to a few dedicated fans of the game, which have given it workshop support to preserve it's modding community, still fixing any issues left in the game, and just recently revived the multiplayer servers. It's a pleasant surprise from a game I know absolutely nothing about.

Other urls found in this thread:

gog.com/mix/games_that_treat_gog_customers_as_second_class_citizens
archive.is/hzqdv
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is the case with most games, Steam users are just so fucking retarded that they can't use the directory and either check the forums or Google it.

I meant that the IP has been entrusted to them by it's current owner. at least that's how it seems to me.

System Shock? Postal 1?

There's also weird shit like Rockstar going back to remove soundtrack stuff. There are a few games that aren't even up to the last official patch. I entirely gave up on them but end up back in that area to check forum stuff time to time.

Wait wait wait. They're still going to do that to GTA VC and III? After all they did to SA?

I really don't care about SA. I mean the game's good but the radio music is forgettable except for a handful of them. The major concern is removing Flashback FM songs from the other games

Scott Pilgrim is impossible to find legit online anywhere because of music licensing issues. Jews gonna jew

They did it to VC a while ago. I think the license for 3 was different because it was mostly smaller artists/old songs.

I'm not sure, that would suck if they gut VC's soundtrack. Glad I have physical copies of them all.

I remember when they first did it to vice city and san andreas, valve removed the option in the steam client to "never update games" and updates are required, it just asks you when you want to install them.

Of course, the cuckster race didn't care.

I suppose System Shock is dwarfed by it's sequel in terms of popularity, but aren't they both still somewhat well known? Postal 1 can count as an outlier, though, with it being a side project of part-time developers.

I understood that user
I'm just saying that those negative reviews many times come from literal retards that can's copy and paste a file that's on the forums up for grabs.

Good thing you can add them all back and make SA not look like absoute dogshit again thanks to mods.

Did it ever come in box form or was it jewel cased?

Anyone know any green steam themes that are updated, relatively timely? Most of the ones I found have been abandoned the minute steam updated and broke them.
And frankly, default steam is kind of ugly.

You deserve it if you buy old games, from Steam of all places.
I remember the Dungeon Siege 2 expansion creating super leveled enemies that take ages to die and kill you in 1 hit in random areas of early-mid game, apparently a glitch.

its still missing engine effects because they're just not present in the games code. Mods kinda just make it look really, really, really garish. Would rather keep it faithful to the developers vision.

this, nearly every steam user I know doesn't even know how to navigate their computer's filesystem

i don't know where you fags keep popping up from but you got a lot of lurking to do

Right now the best place for older games is becoming Github and other code repositories. Tons of new engine reimplementations for classics that work on almost all platforms and allow for better graphics, easier modding, multiplayer and proper bug fixes.

After decades of getting nowhere with publishers thanks to legal issues or lack of interest fans have finaly realized that if they want their older games supported properly they have to do it themselves.

Buying it on Steam makes the least amount of sense as you're allowing them to modify or remove it from your library at any time for any reason.

That isn't going to change anytime soon. In many cases it's the only choice.

if you do any of these things you should reconsider your life choices

Daily reminder Valve was denied the legality of "it's rental software and you don't own it" literally everywhere but china and by forcing this meme you are not only eroding away the ability for people with actual resources to take them to task but are actually eroding the illegality and unenforcability of eulas.

JUST

Being this mad at people spending money you will never have.

Nigga, that expansion added like a good 10 hours to gameplay.
I'm pretty sure the Original Dungeon Siege with the expansion can be found somewhere on the internet for free.
And you can add mods to it. it was one of the most moddable games I played back then

Similar to one of the mods on the original Dungeon Siege that added a bunch of shit (and bigger inventories) but basically every crate you smash open gives millions of gold and really rare high levelled shit which would only have been acquired through tough dungeons on endgame multiplayer on the hardest difficulty.
It was pretty cool how in the original that if you played through the game on a harder difficulty you would actually get better loot in time. But the Dungeon Sieged revived mod broke the entire loot table

Isn't GOG what buyfags used for old games? I know pirating old shit can be a hassle if you rely on mostly-dead torrents.

I have the .iso files from a torrent I downloaded a while back. I just become allured of the Idea of not having it to stay there and take Hard disc space and just have it readily available via download so I can better organize my files. Every time I see it go on sale for less than a dollar, I remember it's problems, and just decide the hassle of it taking space in my HDD is better than having to re-enable the expansion every time I finish downloading it, and possibly have incompatibilities with mods if the file structure has been like such.

Yeah, but I don't like the idea of paying for already cracked games and pre-configured DOSbox emulators if I can't help it.

The terms GOG and pirating hassle do not match, it's a godsend for pirates.

and yet the most pirated games are non GOG ones

Why would you pay for old games (and to ad to it, on Steam) when the original developers/companies most of the time gets nothing out of it?
If you want to pay for older games, at least use GOG, where they at least care that you can run them on modern OSes.
Or don't pay at all, and pirate them.

gog.com/mix/games_that_treat_gog_customers_as_second_class_citizens

I'm tired of GoG shills saying this.

A lot of companies releasing old games on Steam aren't even related to the company that originally developed or published them. They're just random publishers that bought the IP for cheap and released its games as barebones as possible for a quick buck. Also, just by checking the forums, you can see that the accounts marked as "developer" barely know anything about the game they just released. A shame, really.

Where are you getting your data from?

cut those from it and the list is shortened dramatically,the only valid ones are the complains about coop and missing level editor/expansion ones

good 'nough?
archive.is/hzqdv

Even if the data is 7 years old, the logic behind it makes sense; popular games get pirated the most and often its new releases by big name studios that are popular, and titles like that don't typically end up on GoG.

WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM, ABORIGINAL PIECE OF SHIT. DO YOU HAVE BRAIN TUMOURS? DID YOU FALL FROM YOUR MOTHER'S ARMS WHEN YOU WERE A BOY? DO YOU HAVE ANXIETY ISSUES? WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT???

let it die user, it's mostly nostalgia anyway

You've peaked my interest user. But I could only find a game for mame, upload it to mega and I'll try to get it working on wine