Unused artstyles

Why are there no games that use 90s CGI visuals? I'm a big fan of this stuff and if I had the know-how I would be making something with these aesthetics.

Other urls found in this thread:

graphics.pixar.com/library/
graphics.pixar.com/library/Geri/paper.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Some more examples

Technology isn't there yet.
Toy Story came out in 1995, and we have yet to match the graphic fidelity of it in realtime

Faggotry aside, I've wanted to see/make a charming JRPG like Paper Mario but with a stained glass and glass sculpture aesthetic.

It also took an INSANE amount of processing power,if i recall correctly they used a shitload of top of the line cpus at the time and it still took forever.

I love that metal mario picture. Would you say graphics like what we see and are capable of "playing" with in video games today have fallen short of, met, or far exceeded that Metal Mario CG?

Reminds me of REZ

Scott Cawthon games.

dont fall for the ray tracing meme

current games look better in some ways. the first toy story doesn't hold up that well. try watching it again some time, the 3D looks pretty dated and you'll definitely recognize some errors.

God I love his work, Iffermoon is my favorite Scott game.

Well, in some ways they far exceed this stuff, but the realism meme has killed much of that old charm.

Okay so I was shitposting, but it's still mostly true. I happened to look at the wiki entry for Toy Story and learned a few things:

In terms of number of techniques being used at once? Yeah modern games far exceed it.

But in terms of the quality of each technique used? That render is far superior (which it should be, because it was probably rendered over the course of a few days in 1995, whereareas a game has about 16ms to make a frame). The polyogonal subdivision is super high, and the reflection is realistically calculated.

where did I say it looks bad? I said current games look better in a number of ways. I think the ways Toy Story still looks better are ways that games can't feasibly compete with due to the constraints of real time processing. There was a thread a few months ago about KH3 looking worse than toy story 1, but there was a 100% disregard for image quality, shaders, post processing, animation, and a 100% focus on comparing youtube screenshots to YIFY rips of texture compression.

I think there's an autistic obsession with hating everything new and trying desperately to shit on new things instead of accepting reality.

It's only a little true in a few instances.
the making of toy story is more interesting than the actual movie tbh

Why am I not surprised?

A good get for Residents.

90s CGI absurdist art is the best.

fug

I would legit kill for SM64/MK64 remakes that purposely use the 90s CG designs

Fuck I feel old

Is that supposed to be "crash", but they Engrished it?

Pixar also employed several mathematicians who patented many of the processes used to make Toy Story.
graphics.pixar.com/library/

Here is the main paper that made Toy Story look so good. graphics.pixar.com/library/Geri/paper.pdf

Plentty of games have looked better then the original toy story overall, even in last gen. Obviously in certain specific ways toy story still outclasses modern titles due to being prerendered, but having ultra accurate shadows thanks to racyasting only helps so much when everything else is shit, for instance.

When comparing KH3's room vs TS1's, you can see that KH3's has much better lighting on most surfaces and better lighting and shadows in general, wheras in TS1 there's plenty of stuff that's just a diffuse texture with no shading effects at all.

Thanks for posting this, I like it a lot.

Didn't the models were released on SSBM?

Speaking of Toy Story and technology, Pixar's RenderMan has been free since 2015, ya know. For non-commercial uses, anyways. Too bad it's very old, cumbersome, and outclassed now.

Fuck goyimwatch, and fuck that nigger.

Here's something similar a DEVO game by the guy who made Banjo Gyro.

Fuck you made me shoot these feels.

In a fair just World Scott would be able to feed his son while making games while making shit like this.

Because most those visuals were made on shit like this.
PCs weren't capable of this stuff yet, and now that they are, they don't quite go about it the same way.

You motherfucker, you reminded me that I used to like trance at one point before it all went to shit.

Clay. Fucking. Mation.

In 1995 I visited a CG studio, 30 sec of CG would take 4 hours to process…

It works anyway because it is a clash.

The Melee trophy models would be too flat/angular

It would help if those TF2 ripoffs had 1950s architecture.

What studio? what movie?

How would you go about mimicking the process on a modern machine?

Thank god.

Shiggy pls

Five Nights at Freddy's, and The Desolate Hope intentionally evoke that era.

Fuck i miss the OG TF2 artstyle. What's more is that they changed the gamemode selection pic from your post into an SFM rendition, it took away the novelty and the 'roundedness' (what i meant here is that there's an even amount of 2D and 3D artwork in the game, since its a 1960's game and the designs themselves were designed on paper for years before being moved to 3D) of the game's artstyle. Also fuck man, Valve stopped giving away contests like that since 2010 (the hat naming contest i believe?), TF2 truly showed me at how Valve has changed over the years, i don't know if i should cringe at the days when i worshipped them along with Gaben.
I hope they die a slow and irrelevant death, fitting for a company that abandoned their games

See

OP, here's some games that use that "artstyle". They're mostly point and click ad
They own the majority of digital game sales, nothing short of Kim nuking the entire west coast could stop them.

How about 2003 flash graphics?

Hey buddy, you can almost never guess what the market wants and what technology would bring, remember Blockbuster? It was the Video rental store back in the days, and now its already dead, hell there are other companies that was thought to be the king (in a business sector) forever but then in a decade or so later, it died with a pitiful whimper. Maybe Valve has the monopoly on the Digital game sales, but i swear someday it will be overtaken by (hopefully) somebody else.
Nothing is truly eternal, and i yearn for the day when Valve will go under, and then i'll look back and laugh at their folly

The Dream Machine nailed the aesthetic.

Legit looks like that grocery store movie. fucking horrible.

Can't believe people saw that in theaters. All made possible by SGI and NeXT machines, thanks Steve!

Fuck you man I was having a good morning

It was the first feature length film that was entirely computer animated. It was a ground breaking film.

Because it looked like shit.

It's bait, don't reply.

Recently I've been playing Time and Eternity because it's a technical oddity. Action jRPG in third person, with 3D levels and 2D sprites. It looks straight out of the mid 90s.

Not to mention it contains the same Doctor Jekyll waifu trick from Xenoblade and Grandia.

I hear you user.

fug.
Also, Kowloon's gate somehow got a vr remake last year.

Don't you think that looks a little modern?

Oh hey, that looks pretty go-
God dammit.

The coloring resembles modern anime very much. Both the coloring and the character designs look extremely similar to (what little I've seen of) SAO.

I know that it's retarded.

OP, STASIS and CAYNE might be up your alley. They have more sophisticated graphics than your embed, but they have that creepy pre-rendered look to them. CAYNE is free, it's kind of a demo for STASIS, since it's in the same setting, just shorter.

Game confirmed to be ISIS pandering.

Man I remember seeing so many of these shitty CGI trailers and thinking it was the hottest shit and gaming was miles away from achieving such quality

Fuck yeah! I got Garage from an friend but it wouldn't run on my CPU. But I loved the aesthetics of the game.

I need it

What if the in game graphics of the FF7 remake looked exactly like the full bodied FMVs?

nowhere near profitable enough for AAA studios to touch and most indie fags would rather just shit out pixel """"art"""" for a quick buck.

dorf fort is one of those games that requires crippling autism to actually enjoy. nice job outing yourself, go back to facebook normalfag

I need games with stop motion, do those exist?

Attached: cat.gif (500x281, 246.16K)

There are no proper games that use surrealism and aren't awful to play.

The Neverhood and Skullmonkeys.

skullmonkeys is a good example

nobully

Clayfighter!