Huge ass games 2

Weeb boogaloo.
Last time on huge ass games we had Hollow Knight and some strategy games.
Today I want to mention Nioh, which still has its own thread at

Basically post in this thread games that you thought would be much smaller, but are actually fucking huge and long.
And by huge I don't mean vast open world with nothing in it like Dynasty Warriors 9 or GTA5, but games with actual shitload of content that you have to play 3 times longer than expected to just finish.

Just longer than expected? Cause in that case Nier.

kinda thought route B was going to be just a new game + sort of deal with a few more story bits kinda like how the other games had you replaying from others perspectives with a few new clips and things here and there. Then I completed it and saw I had 10 hours of entirely new content and the game flat out says you only just completed the prologue and the entire game world subsequently changes.

I never played any thief games

That shit definitely counts.

(checked)
Well I played the first Nier so I expected tomato to be long.

Play it right now, you won't regret it.

Bloodborne is taking way longer than I expected. Although I don't think the actual gameworld is all that large.

I think the reason I expected it to be so short is that I had forgotten about the optional areas in DS and DeS and only remembered the bare minimum of areas required.

I hate stealth in general.
Can you play it non-stealthy? I assume not.

The first disc is as long as the entirety of most JRPGs.

thief 1 isn't even a stealth game iirc

Absolutely undisputed replay value in the series. Hundreds of hours in and I'm still having a blast. They don't make them like they used to.

it is, don't lie.

yeah but it's not fun and you'll be missing content because you'll be on easy.

Also pic related
I thought it would end on 3 occasions before it actually did (the first one admittedly being waaaay too short and I was a bit pissed until I found out there was more)
I consider it a masterpiece and played it 6 times in a row which is exceptionally rare for me to do for singleplayer games. The game knows how to do different difficulty modes correctly.
perfection

It’s shit, unfortunately. Dungeon designs are a mess of bullshit. Encounter rate is trash. All of your team members are unlikable as fuck save for Nanjo and Yukino. Persona 2 is where the series peaked and it’s a wonder how Persona even went on with how garbage the first game was.

The encounter rate's not that high, and while I'll agree 2 is where the writing peaked, 1 definitely had the better combat.

Hollow Knight isn't that long, you can beat it in under 3h easily if you know what's up

OK son, I'll bite the bait.

They are far better than P2's dungeons if you can even call them that.

No different from P2's encounter rate.

They are all top-tier characters.
You've clearly made little to no effort to actually play the game, or just have incredibly pleb taste.

And you can beat SOTN in under 20 minutes.

And I can beat it to your mom in under 20 seconds

That's actually kind of sad.

That's not something you should boast about.

His mom's hot

Thieves stealth is different than pretty much the entire genre, in that you can fucking sprint around 95% of the time and only have to be slow/assess a situation in a few areas.

Only half the levels in Thief 1 are stealth. The other half are tomb raiding I include the Haunted Cathedral levels in this. It's also the best in the series because of this

best kind of poster on Holla Forums tbh

and then you get to disc 2

Seeing as it's a (((Western))) developed game, I highly doubt that.

What the fuck? Is it different than the original release, because I don't remember that shit being there, then again, I only played the (((localized))) psx version long ass time ago where they made the guy with the hat into a Kang n shiiiet.

I truly enjoy these post game challenge modes. In fact the only reason why I hold the arkham games in high regard is that they have them and it's not that halfassed.

Go play it you memelord.

Oh man, you have no idea. You didn't deserve that suffering. Yes, the game has a "Snow Queen Quest" route that was entirely locked out of the PlayStation localization. Worse yet, the localization fundamentally broke gameplay balance in an attempt to appeal to western kids or some other bullshit excuse like that. It's one of the most notorious localizations of all time for good reason. Stay far away from it and pick up the PSP port, or the original Japanese.

FF8 was a fucking mistake

>Seeing as it's a (((Western))) developed game, I highly doubt that.
Warren Spencer is the only guy on the team at that time that I can confirm is a Jew, however the other three worked on games such as System Shock, Arx Fatalis, Ultima Underworld, Descent, and Terra Nova. And that Ned Lerner has apparently been all over the fucking place.

Bloodborne is actually the shortest of the Souls games if you skip the optional areas and don't go for the "best" ending

What said. It's pretty much the shining proof that (((localization))) was never a good thing.

Surprisingly so and that's the only thing that makes having no respec option tolerable since you can make it back to end game rapidly if you fuck up your stat allocation like I did.

Both of those games could have been so much better.

Which is why the devs jumped ship to Namco because when the Squeenix merger happened, they all wanted to focus on Final Fantasy games, good fucking idea Squeenix.

Also, l want to finish Abyss mode on Nioh, currently on floor 210, 789 to go, fuck.

Playing that game, and after 80 hours, I just reached the Way of the Dragon DLC Region, and I havent tested yet the Abyss mode, or any of the Way of the Warrior missions. And I havent neither completed any of the post-credits dual boss missions yet Oh boy…
Hollow knight had its long time too, Im not sure how long I played it, but it was many hours.

Now, The longest game that I played, was Dark Chronicles (Or also know as Dark Cloud 2). Lets just say that in every part you must complete a shitload of dungeons, and everytime the number of dungeons grow to an alarming rate. And when you complete the game…There is post-content region with I think a hundred dungeons or something like that. Obviously, i couldnt even more of that game.

The Kiseki games.

I have over 200 hours in kamidori. What a game.

was the story any good?

Good thing they did, really. I don't want to imagine Xenoblade Chronicles done under FFXIII-era squeenix.

Entertaining. It was a long time, and gameplay was grindy & tedious.

They killed a lot of their old RPG franchises aside from Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, they could have a diverse portfolio of JRPGs, even though Xenogears was somewhat pretentious at disc 2, it had a deep story and characters and backgrounds you don't see much in any other games.

But Nioh was really short?

I'd actually like to see someone to make a chart measuring and comparing the total map sizes of the 5 Souls games and Nioh. I would be curious to find which is the smallest and which is the largest.

In favor of which in your mind?

Most of the maps are pretty miniscule in Nioh with narrow paths. Even the bigger ones are mostly just narrow places for the most part. I loved Nioh but game length was not the good aspect, it has so much re-treads of the same levels and enemies disguised as new content, when it's just the same level with a few different enemy placements. The bridge and oni graveyard missions are the worst offenders.

No, Nioh is about as long as DS3 or Bloodborne if you work fast, despite the amount of content it has.

I think OP operates more on the basis that Nioh offers a lot of shit to do. Just because it reuses assets like crazy doesn't mean there is little to do in the game.

Gravity rush 2 and XenobladeX both blew my mind with their sizes, they both especially had a lot of content to mess around with too!
I dont even know how nintendo managed to even fit XCX on a wiiu much less get it to run smoothly.
And then they managed to port XC on the fucking n3ds

I just know that Nioh has more floor space that Bloodborne does. This is the entirety of Bloodborne except the three sections of Nightmare Yharnam. Mind you that I'm not saying that the simply lacking in size or length is something that makes one game worse than the other, I'm just curious about it is all.

I think that this is a pretty fair statement. There's a ton of content in Nioh.

What the fuck? It was an entire route? I always thought it was a singular event or something.

Yeah, sure. You said Souls so I just think DaS1, not BB. BB was really fucking short too. And I'm not gonna argue about the ton of content issue any further, seems some people don't mind re-using places and enemies, and some do.

I wish they had disguised some of it a little better, like using different lighting or weather conditions, but the reusing maps didn't really bother me. I do wish Nioh featured more varieties of youkai. I don't think the game suffered for it per se, it would have just made it even better.
The one thing that I found a little disappointing is that the little hitosume kozo can only transform into one eyed oni or snowclops where as the thing with Fuku's familiar implies that they could transform into any kind of other youkai. That would have added more variety to the game without having to add any actual additional assets. Imaging the uncertainty of not knowing what they might turn into if you happen to get licked twice.

fug

I'm really conflicted about Bloodborne as well. When I play it, I have a constant feeling of playing some kind of proof of concept. It's not that it's unfinished, more like it's not fully realized. What's there is pretty good, but it always falls short in some way.
Byrgenwerth is the obvious example of what I'm talking about (location hyped the whole game turns out to be a tiny-ass building with some jerk inside) but it extends to many things. Cainhurst gives the illusion of being much bigger than it actually is, the nightmare areas are kind of heh, all bosses drop is shit for the chalice dungeons, this sort of thing.

I imagine the sheer number of areas that are optional contributes to that feeling. When all is said and done, the mandatory path is extremely short by souls standards. Such design has its upsides and its downsides. I really can't imagine how it must have been at launch because the DLC feels like a core part of the game.

The best part about XCX is how seemingly small sidequests can drastically change New LA, such as getting a new friendly alien species to chill out. The worst part is everything else.

Okami was long as fuck.
I remember that I went to play something else in the mid of Orochi's ark and then lost steam to come back and finish it. Then later on I found out there was another ark after that, wtf.
Maybe I'll give the PC release a try later.

Good, Obama adverts for the 2008 election were really cringe & shitty in that time, and they are a thousand times worse now.

This one right here, I put in 200 hours and I'm still nowhere near 100%ing the game. I still have a ton of quests to do.

I'd put money on dark souls 3 as the smallest and either 2 or nioh as the largest

Yeah, I suppose the word "Quest" can be misleading. It's actually a whole different playthrough.

port is a fucking mess.

I guess I could bump with this?
You'd expect it to be just Bark Knuckle 3 with extra characters, not a huge ass non-linear epic that is several times larger than all 3 games combined.

I had fun with that game. Bodyslamming everyone to death in Mania doesn't get old.

Are the people saying Near a Tomato confusing big-ass game with big ass game?

It seems to be the case.

Modern RPGs wish they could do post-game content like these fuckers did.

Symphonia had post-game content?

There was the hell/dungeon/thing and there were also a bunch of rare weapons you could collect. It definitely had more, I've just forgotten most of it.

It takes around 30 hours to complete and 50 hours to 100%.
It's easily the longest Platinum game to date.

And this thread started with Nioh, for which 50 hours is like a little baby struggling to get out of his crib, so get the fuck out of here with your weak shit.

stop being a faggot

Recently, dead cells
It's (((early access))) so I was expecting some half-assed shit worth a few hours, maybe something comparable to ye olde binding of isaac at most considering how much more complicated the level and enemy design has to be
But it has like 15 separate levels, I've been playing for most of a week and I haven't even seen all of them yet
Though it seems most of their dev time went into that content as the game aside from that is really lacking, there's no real reason to go to half of those areas more than once and the progression is all over the place

undoubtedly there will be some w10 exclusive ones too…

Wasn't the win 10 source leaked? When are we getting pirate windows OS.

dunno about that but KT are talented devs, but the talent is them making worst ports known to mankind.