PS2 Thread

The PS2 was first released in Japan 18 years ago today. The hype for its release put the final nail in the Dreamcast's coffin. Sony went on to sell ~157 million units resulting on the most loopsided console war victory during the sixth generation of consoles.
The size, depth and breadth of the PS2 library is still unmatched today and it'll likely remain so for decades to come.
I'll hook up my PS2 and relive some of its classics this afternoon.

Do you still have yours or did you sell it for weed money? Which are your favorite games?

I got one but I've yet to hack it and unlock that gigantic library of games you've mentioned.

That was Sega themselves

Still got em

The only games I have played for this thing is Dragon Quest 8, Devil May Cry, Dragon Ball Z Bodukai 3, and that's it. I lost all interesting in consoles with the n64 and PlayStation.

Nigga did you copy-paste this OP from a sony wiki?

No, and I don't regret it. System was a piece of shit.

It really was a mediocre console, same with the Gamecube. I really only became interested in exclusives but the ps2 really dropped the shit on those.

Most people generally buy consoles for the software, not the hardware.

Yeah, I still have mine. Been sitting and collecting dust for a while now though. Got a flip-top lid for it, hard drive, the works. Never did crack it for native piracy. I just play everything on emulators because it's convenient to have everything condensed into a single HDMI port - and the DS4 is close enough to the DS2 that it still "feels" about right outside of that stupid fucking trackpad.

Still buying games for it too. Got decent copies of Ace Combat 5 and Oni a few months ago for cheap.

Highlighted files are games I have physical copies of.

Ps2 is the only console I still play today.
Thankfully collectors still don't care enough about it and you can still find most of its library for cents in used stores

Of course I still have it. I used to have HD Loader set up back in the day to pirate games, but I completely forgot how that shit works.

Oh, and I also have Final Fantasy XI and EverQuest Online Adventures - which I didn't burn off because, why the fuck would I? They're unplayable now without online servers.

Wait, since the PS4 is hacked now, does that mean more accurate PS2 emulation?

DID SOMEONE SAY HIDDEN GEMS?

I still have mine, but I haven't gone around to getting a Network Adaptor + IDE HDD to get me some sweet piracy. I'm also in need of a CRT TV.

Just get a component cable.

$400 GAME BOY

The final nail was the culmination of all the stupid shit Sega had done over the years to the point they were bleeding money from their assholes.

A lot of this can be blamed on the petty hostility between the American and Japanese divisions of Sega, that was their biggest downfall.

So by the time the Dreamcast came-out Sega was already broke, it was inevitable they would cease to sustain themselves as a console manufacturer whether the PS2 released or not. It was a miracle they were even able to continue as a software developer, honestly.

one of my favorite vidya memes tbh

wasn't that because a billionaire literally bailed them out with a shit ton of his own personal assets?

Yeah, in-fact their president (or CEO I don't remember) did that with his own earnings out of penance, and he passed-away not long after.

He literally gave his life to keep his company going, it's kinda sad, but I have to admire that. Satoru Iwata did something similar during the Wii U's life when its sales were shit.

I have 4, my first PS2 which is a 5XXX that's now sporting a network adapter and 160GB HDD, a slim that I used as a softmod station too much of a pussy to do the swap method on the FAT and thought I could get by with SMB for backup loading, a basically brand new still in the box silver slim I got for free and just now scored a new FAT as a backup for the other one about 40 bucks with a black label copy of FFX and a clean official pad.
About to try one of those through an OSSC whenever I can be arsed to unplug my OG XBOX

Nah, not by much at-the very least.
PS4 handles a few things PCSX2 can't like GTASA but most of the games that have heavy issues still have those on PS4
And if you thought you could RE the PS4 emulator to improve PCSX2, you thought wrong.

A CRT isn't a bad idea for a PS2 because regular HDTVs can't properly deinterlace for shit most of the time, best bet is Samsung or Sony since they tend to have not too shit processing time and quality for 480i (mostly meaning they'll beat a chink dedicated box), **
obviously you just get a Framemeister or OSSC and that stops being an issue altogether.**

You forgot how they dumped millions of dollars into their dedicated gaming network, SegaNet, and then decided that it would be a good idea to just give Dreamcasts away for free for people signing up for a two year contract.

Yes, it was pay-to-play, but unlike Xbox Live or PS-, SegaNet acted as your ISP - so you weren't paying twice to play your games online.

I own one, and it's still possibly the console that I play the most (my Dreamcast needs a new laser, so I can't play that), if you count PS1 games. Not much of a fan of PS1 emulation (I emulate everything older than the Saturn). Inconvenient minor issues are too common, and I don't have to deal with them if I just burn the games and play using original hardware. Not even gonna bother trying to emulate PS2 games again when I still own the console and not even PS1 emulation is good enough for me.

Not just that. The PS2 was made for CRTs. That's what it should be played on. I actually played it for a few years on my HDTV, and it looked awful, so I just went back to my old CRT (which is actually a really bad one), and it was a considerable improvement. Now I have a significantly better CRT with component video, so it looks fantastic, and it actually looks fantastic even with just composite because the TV itself is that much better than my previous one. Just get a good CRT with component or RGB (depending on where you live) and the games should look about as good as games can look. You may be able to find one for free.

Didn't even know they went that far with SegaNet, not a huge surprise though now that you mention it.

I remember looking for and using free ISP accounts on the internet that I had to use because my 56k provider wasn't compatible with the Dreamcast's online.

Them's were the days… also PSOv2 was best game.

That's like saying your Ethernet provider isn't compatible with the Internet.

It happens. My PS2 initially was incompatible with my ISP, and I ended up having to wait for a month or so (and a bunch more customers to complain) for them to sort their shit.

Thrift stores are a great place to find CRT's. I got a component and S-Video capable Sanyo for three bucks, had to find a small one so it wouldn't take too much space but it was worth it.

I would say you want something smaller, I have a large one and the shit is over 100 pounds. Nice, but its tough to find a place for it.

Yeah, they're big, heavy, space-sucking motherfuckers, but the picture they output is worth the trouble if you're a hardware fag.

My friend has a widescreen CRT with HDMI input that he uses for old games and new alike. It looks phenomenal with both but moving that thing is like moving a fucking fridge or something.

I got a 32' trinton, has component so I use it with my ps2 and it looks real nice. Maybe I'll get a smaller on or a really nice one at some point but I hope with will hold me over.

If you can afford the space then by all-means, bigger is better. Problem is I imagine most people don't get that luxury.

I don't see the console market possibly recovering from the state it's in enough that a console as good or better than the ps2 is ever to come out again, but yeah it's "likely" to remain so for decades to come.

Here's the chart I guess. How do you strike good deals/prices anyway?

have three
one in my room (freeMCBooted), one I lent to a friend (who incredibly hasn't mysteriously moved to another state with it), and one that's a japanese developer's model that can play burns out of the box (controller port 1 got damaged so that needs fixing

too many good games to list them all, but I tend toward RPGs wth occasional action and action adventure. Okami, the .hack series, Jak & Daxter series, SSX3, etc
I recently started Okage:Shadow King for the first time. pretty lighthearted for a game about demonic possession

By pirating you dipshit.

No seriously, the chart isn't there for your worthless buyfagging.

spring's around the corner, yardsale season begins. Last year I rolled up on a yard sale I saw a few CRTs at and was curious about them. I talked with them, mentioned I was interested in the TVs and got them both for cheap (15 instead of the combined total of 35), and mentioned I'm gonna be using them for old games because they look best on them. They hinted they might have something like that, and I asked them. Mentioned playstation stuff, nintendo, sega, etc, and walked away with about 24 games, common but desirable ones liek MGS 1, substance and subsistence all in excellent condition, a PS2, a gamecube. Just a bunch of solid games, some I could resell and spent 80 bucks on something I made back by selling the PS2 and gamecube.

lol poor

Says the retard going garage hunting.

You know that you don't need an excuse of collecting fucking ps2 games in order to engage with your society right

I still use mine as a DVD player

You sound like a fucking loser.

sure thing degenerate.

My sister had one and refused to share it like a child (was 18). Her cats knocked water over on top of it. When I could steal it, I loved MGS3 and FFX('s combat system, only).

I had an OG Xbox instead, so I dealt with MGS2, Halo1-2, Def Jam: Fight For NY, WHACKED! (god bless you, Dan Paladin), and some other stuff. Now I have Tenchu: Return From Darkness, Quantum Redshift, Panzer Dragoon Orta, NBA Street: Volume 2, and some other games. I hate the controller, but I always thought games on the Xbox generally looked better.

It's like you don't understand his fetish for destruction.

Time to move on to a HDD, grandpa.

I play my PS2 games off a HDD cucklord, but not all games work off HDD, a good example being Way of the Samurai, and so burning out the irreplaceable and no longer in production laser for no reason is retarded.

Klonoa 2 is another great game that is a disaster on an HDD. If you're curious make sure your TV volume is very low.

try out a microcon, it's pretty good. There's also some basic rewire cables which adapt xbox to ps2, ps2 to xbox, gc, etc. Could be worth trying.

The games on the Xbox generally did look better, but a lot of games that were ported from the PS2 like MGS2 and silent hill 2 looked a lot worse on the Xbox because the engines were built for the PS2 and took advantage of things only the PS2 could do and the other platforms could not. I think the best looking PS2 games surpass the best looking Xbox games, but on average games are gonna look better on the Xbox.

Get yourself a Dualshock adapter, best 5 bucks I've spent on an XBOX related thing.

I had all three consoles from that gen as well as a PC and it was the least played. Mine collected dust during the entire gen. The only game I remember having to exclusively play on the PS2 was Soul Calibur 3 and that ended up being a butchered version and inferior to the arcade release.
The only thing it had going for it was free online and I could already get that on PC.
If you weren't a fan of Jrpgs, I don't really see the purpose of this console.

Was it ever anything other than a jrpg and FIFA machine for brazillians?

you have some really shitty taste

You never played katamari? Or god hand? Or SotC?

I'll admit that God Hand is one of my top 10 games of all time, but by the time I actually got to play it, I was emulating it on my pc with much better visuals than the ps2 could run.

But all games work off an HDD. I played Way Of The Samurai myself. Are you using a network adapter or a USB cable?

Most people using HDDs do so internally. And no, not all games work. Many have issues that games playing off CD/DVD do not.

What version of OPL are you using? I'm like 95% WoTS is working.

This was actually a THING at the start of Consoles going online. Lots of people were still using Dial up.

I remember COMCAST had a ROLLOUT program that let people know when their area could work with Xbox Live and PS2 online

Some companies even had tech support help for setting up online services. Most of it was them explaining how to manually set up your game system for online.

Speaking of HDD loading whatever happened to that XtremeBoot project thing that supposedly would have never seen before features?

R&C 3 sure doesn't and don't fucking bring that old as fuck specially patched HDloader version that still crashes on pause, you can't proeperly play the game with that shit., there's also Jak 2 with the construction site crash which is only avoidable based on what I assume is luck and extreme patience.

And that's not counting shit that runs but runs worse than a burn/legit game.

I never ran into any issues with most games I played, though I know compatibility is not really 100%. Seriously though, what version of OPL are you using? There are versions that are a bit newer that might work better.

How well does PS3 CFW loading PS2 games compare to using a PS2 HDD? I currently have a PS3 for PS2 games, but was wondering if the extra 50 bucks or so for a IDE drive plus set up is worth it.

I'm using 0.9.3 and no Way of the Samurai freezes up and doesn't work on it.

It was from a year or ago but a 0.9.3 beta is what I'm pretty sure I tried it on.

I sincerely hope that none of the anons in this thread are still using HDLoader as their main game player instead of the stable/daily builds of OPL.

Well fuck me then.

One way or another, I hope they keep working on compatibility then. Sooner or later or consoles using lasers are going to be fucked.

You should have both if only because you may occasionally find better compatibility.

Simplest way would be for someone to make an ODE as OPL can never truly be perfect, not that I look forward to having to spend 100+ to play PS2 games but if it comes down to it that's what I'm gonna do.

I see IDEs like Rhea, GDemu, and the satiator to be end-all-be-all solutions. I think a good ODE for PS2 would be great, because it wouldn't just solve the issues with OPL, but also give a native solution for PS1 games.

Is PS1 playable nativley on all PS2 consoles?

except for late model slims, PS2 systems have PS1 hardware in them, giving an accurate experience. Current back up loading can't use the PS1 hardware on the PS2 so you're stuck with software emulation which is as always, inferior. So if you want to play back up PS1 games discs are your only viable solution.

Is there an app that lets you run backup discs with FMCB? Or only a modchip?

Like Psuedosaturn.

I haven't heard anything on that end. I don't think there is.

ESR lets you load burned PS2 discs. Discs need to be patched, though.
Psxlauncher lets you swap PS1 discs. It only works with certain PS2 versions.

Yeah, first model slim should be avoided if that's something you wanna do though they have the worst compatibility of all revs, on the upside I think they're also slightly faster when using fast disc speed.

Only the Main CPU used as the IOP in the PS2 everything else is emulated actually.

Talks about casually selling a console to get weed.
Talks about the marketing ploy of "muh console wars".
Mods: end this and don't let those infiltrators have their place.

There were four. Dreamcast, PlayStation2, Gamecube, and Xbox

Dreamcast was already dead by the time the GC came out.

SNES was considered retro in 2008, what makes PS2 any different?

compare the difference between PS1 graphics and xbox graphics. Now compare bioshock infinite to destiny 2. Sure there's a difference but it's not enough to call it a part of a different era, a different generation, sure.

i don't understand what you're saying
what does any of that have to do with PS2?

Retro to me describes something distinctly aged, whereas by the time the 6th generation was rolling around there was a noted leap into how the technology works due to the understanding achieved from the past generation of hardware. Since then there really hasn't been a massive leap in how everything operates since. To me, it is retro in every way, but past that point, the very foundation of how these things are approached changed.

the laser on my poor old ps2 finally gave out. thankfully i backed up all my favorites onto a drive using the whole mcboot thing. its funny now too because my ps2 literally has 1.5x the internal storage memory as my ps3. i still cant believe how fucking small they made some of those ps3 drives, its fucking ridiculous. made the mistake of buying P5 online and didnt check the install size. fucking 10GBs holy shit. too bad i couldnt have put it on my ps2.

Retro games is a time period, from the beginning up until the mid/late '90s. Same as the wild west period of America or the tokugawa shogunate of Japan.

This "games become retro after a set amount of time" mentality is retardation at its finest.

t. 4/vr/ master race

Can we all agree the 6th gen should be the last 'retro' gen?

The compatibility isn't the best compared to the ps2

:^)

Make me cuckboy, I can cross-site if I wish.

No. Even 5th gen is pushing it.

Straight off the refugee boat, eh?

5th seems like the logical end to the retro category, 6th gen is a weird middleground between retro and modern

Go back.

you can, but it means you're a faggot

There are people selling their PS2+ 20+ games for under $100 on fleabay. NIB prices are retarded, but I'd wager there is an ocean of used Silent Hill 2's (for instance) out there. If it was a popular game, you probably wont find it for under $5 unless someone is having a garage sale. Craigslist is also a good place to look.

Says the fucking loser going around shopping for cheap prices of used toys at garage sales.

PS2 looks like absolute trash on an LCD screen. And that's if you have one that can actually handle a 480i signal. I have mine hooked up to an SD CRT via component inputs and it looks gorgeous. S-video looks very good as well, but try and find one with component capabilities.

sure thing degenerate.

The PS2 being primarily a 480i console thanks to the prevalence of field based rendering means if you aren't using a CRT you're just gonna get a pretty blurry picture on an LCD.

why we

t. retard

I have the original, but I get an IO error when trying to image it. The disk isn't scratched so I don't know what the issue is. I'm aware I could grab it off emuparadise, but I've already completed it.

Why do retards do this?
All you have to do is hardmod or softmod your console and download them off the internet.
Is this too hard?
Do you feel a sense of accomplishment by having 3 tons of chinese manufactured garbage taking over space?

I'm thankful there are repositories for old long forgotten games that you will never find elsewhere, but I do wish to support certain companies. Some people enjoy collecting games as well. I wish I had bought boxes of Radiant Silvergun and Chronotrigger when I had the chance.

while /vr/ is an absolute shitshow now, it was the last good board i remember being added to cuckchan. it had about a year where it was great until Holla Forumsirgins started ruining it by trying to start console wars threads for dead consoles, and kvetching over what is and is not retro.

it took a sharp downturn after that, and never recovered. its too bad too, because there is no equivalent on 8ch.

There is a >>>/vr/ here on the off chance you weren't aware, but it's been pretty much dead for a good while now, probably in part due to /vr/ not having much reason to exodus (compared to Holla Forums and Holla Forums), and the smaller overall community here meaning most vidya discussion is satiated by Holla Forums. Also decay cycle, wherein any attempted non-Holla Forums vidya board, if it even gets popular, sees itself die as people go back to Holla Forums for more people to talk with, which in turn prompts more to leave, and feeds the issue. One of the issues with the create-a-board system being that with so many total boards, you can't keep all of them in the userbase's view/mind, the way an imageboard with a set amount of boards is able to.

you mean walmart.

natural selection son, relatively active ones stay on top while gimmick boards and ones that failed due to the userbase only caring about instant gratification and muh board speed instead of building something, bite the dust.The best example of that is >>>Holla Forums it never really grew large but it manages to maintain just enough momentum to keep itself afloat for 4 years now

I got my copy of Silent Hill 2 for about ten bucks at a flea market.
These people are smoking crack.

"DS" sales include literally every version of the console known as the DS - original, Lite, DSi and DSi XL. The latter two are practically different machines, having over 400 exclusive titles available from the DSiWare shop. I'm pretty sure there was a point a few years back where they lumped in 3DS numbers too, though now it seems to be a separate entity. It's like if they included PSX (the Japan-only multimedia device not the PS1) numbers as part of PS2 sales.

Also

Has it really been this long already.
The PS2 was a solid follow up to the PSX.
I wonder if we will ever see another full console, not that xbox one x half assed upgrade shit, that will ever match the PS2.

They're not. They play the same games
They probably would've if the numbers of PSX machines sold wasn't completely negligible. You're talking as if Sony doesn't include PSPGo sales when adding up the total number of PSPs sold. And the PSPGo doesn't even have a UMD drive. At least the DSi could play physical DS carts

Do all PS2s have a vga out? I'm might convince my cousin to give his crt monitor don't worry it's a spare and we'll try to test it on his ps2 since he has a lightgun setup otherwise I might have to get a vga to s-video.

No PS2 outputs VGA. You can connect the 480p output to computer monitors that support sync-on-green.

There WAS an official VGA cable released for the PS2 but it really only worked for PS2 Linux AFAIK

The official VGA cable only supports sync-on-green, though.

If you're ever fishing for one make sure it looks like the one in B or at-least that it doesn't look liek hte one in A (even gold plated or whatever nonsense), doesn't even need to be speedlink specifically but if it looks the same it's from the same OEM parts distributor and it happens to be less shit than the basic chink cable you can grab for 2 bucks.
RGB SCARTfags can just find a cable with breakaway audio + composite video that are used for lightgun stuff