Open-path tower defense games

so Holla Forums, there are really not that many open-path tower defense games out there
I ask you for help in finding video games out there of this particular sub-subgenre

what is an open path tower defense game, as opposed to a regular tower defense game?
an open path tower defense game is one in which you are typically given a level that looks like first pic related; the game used as an example is Bubble Tanks Tower Defense 1.5

but then, the game lets you place towers anywhere on the map where there isn't a blue square; you can even force enemies to go around your towers in a sort of maze-like path, as shown in second pic related

I only know of one example of an open-path TD game, pics related, and its sort-of-prequel and its sequel, but I want to play other open-path TD games:
I'll describe Bubble Tanks Tower Defense 1.5 in the next post, since theres so few open-path tower defense games that I know about

Other urls found in this thread:

cache.armorgames.com/files/games/bubble-tanks-td-15-6338.swf?v=1373587523
newgrounds.com/portal/view/386583
newgrounds.com/portal/view/382321
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bubble Tanks Tower Defense is an open path tower defense game with the following specifics:
third pic related is a gameplay screenshot

oh, and its a free flash game made some years ago
you can play it here with no advertisements, except for the one loading ad that goes away after you click continue
cache.armorgames.com/files/games/bubble-tanks-td-15-6338.swf?v=1373587523

a DARK blue square, my bad

Any RTS game with custom scenarios and basebuilding invariably has TD-style maps, and among those, you get open TDs where you make your own paths with your towers.

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 are the obvious examples, but I hear-tell that Dota 2 has a custom map scene, albeit much smaller.

JUST

Sanctum 2 is kinda like that, and pretty good

They're probably less common because they require the programming of at least rudimentary path finding stuff as compared to static path TD games.

I don't like notion of it also being an FPS game

ill give this just one self-bump
i might check out WCIII

Tropical Tower Wars is a PvP TD Warcraft 3 map in which the players on each side have to create tower mazes while sending off waves to the opposing team. It is the best TD game.

desktop TD is my favorite in this specific sub genre.

Plants vs Zombies gave you some ways to redirect enemies into other lanes, but I suppose that's not true freedom.

I looked it up; is pro or 1.5 the more updated version?

I wouldn't call it true freedom either, user

I think pro is the most updated.

oooh, I just remembered about another open path TD game from 2007
Revenge of the Stick
newgrounds.com/portal/view/386583

I remember playing this one a lot.
newgrounds.com/portal/view/382321

Gemcraft series after Labyrinth included have this feature. (So basically Labyrinth and Chasing Shadows, but future games will probably have this too). It's basically the best Tower Defense series by a quite big margin so you should play them if you haven't already.

Sanctum 1 and 2?

it seems that you're not able to sell towers in that game
I'd just want to start the level all over again if I misplace a tower

You can

Having just played Labyrinth, I can say it was damn good.

maze td in wc3 was best
ele td in wc3 was also good
also geo tower defense on iphone was great

hm, don't think that was there in the tutorial level
maybe ill give it another chance

I tried that one out, I like bubble tanks TD 1.5 much better
the latter game has a much better UI, a cleaner artstyle, better sounds, more towers to choose from, and the game punishes you less if you misplace a tower, and the enemies are better

perhaps I'll try gemcraft: labyrinth later
I'd known for a long time about gemcraft, but it was today that I'd learned that they actually made open path games
hopefully it doesn't have something like temporary tower boosts, recruiting units that aren't buildings or however, or manually using non-tower attacks, or towers that have non-passive abilities

Here, faggot.

i didn't say I didn't know how to find it
I just said I'd try it later

I remember Sunken D on Starcraft, as well as a couple other variants following this formula. The problem is, I remember most of these being very specifically designed for multiplayer, being near impossible to comfortably play in single player, (except maybe, the Individual variants)

tower defense is, and will always be, SST maps for babbies.

If you have an Xbox 360, there's South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play. It starts off as a tower defense with premade paths, but by level 3 or so, you unlock the ability to build walls and create your own path. Of course, that means giving money to (((the creators))) because you can't buy it preowned, so that's a choice you'll have to make.

i remember being near impossible but if you manage to tough it out the first couple waves then you're swimming in enough dosh to solo the rest

Gem TD is a bit of a classic. It has a waypoint system for creeps to follow, so you're trying to maze in a way that makes reaching each waypoint as difficult as possible.

Yeah, you're welcome.